US Politics Thread

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It isn’t immediately clear to me why a dangerous arms dealer is being given back to the Russians in exchange for Griner. It’s a bad exchange, based on low level identity politics thinking. Hopefully they’ve also secured a solemn promise from the dangerous arms dealer that he’ll be a good boy from now on, play fair and do nothing that makes him responsible for multiple deaths, terror, grief and destruction. That would make it all fine, I guess..

:facepalm:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions

Note this is from Fox, calling out NBC. They say it is not correct that they were offered an "either/or" of Griner or Whelan. It was Griner, or nothing. Whelan's charge is espionage. While it may be completely bogus, it's a far more serious charge.
Thanks for the clarification. I just occurred to me the irony of you using Fox to correct NBC :face-with-tears-of-joy:

• Haha
Reactions: Kieran and tented

tented

Administrator
Reactions
The US official saying that it was a choice of one of the US prisoners or none. Why the fk wasn't it the guy who had been in jail for longer? That's not right in my view. And before anyone gets at me that the woman should be allowed to come home first. That dude was a US marine, he's served his country, why shouldn't he be the one to come home first. He'd been there longer. It seems that gender equality only works if its in favour of women. I'm pretty sure the conditions he's in are worse than for her. Unless you're telling me that there's more authenticity regarding his imprisonment it's not fair.
We’ll never know exactly what the true story is concerning Whelan. Russia says he’s a spy, thus charged with espionage; the US says that’s not true. No matter what, though, I agree he should have been the one traded for a convicted arms dealer and murderer, not a basketball star.

Reactions: Kieran

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
We’ll never know exactly what the true story is concerning Whelan. Russia says he’s a spy, thus charged with espionage; the US says that’s not true. No matter what, though, I agree he should have been the one traded for a convicted arms dealer and murderer, not a basketball star.
triply so if he was actually a spy

Reactions: Kieran

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It wasn't an option, apparently.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Excerpt:
Siders: You endorsed Joe Biden 2020. How likely do you think it is Republicans nominate a more traditionalist Republican in 2024?

Steele: I’d say the odds are about 20 percent. It’s 80 percent Trump or someone who’s cut out of that cloth — again, not going to sell across the country. Because remember, we don’t get to walk away from the stain that we put on ourselves. You just can’t put on a clean shirt and think that no one notices the smell that’s still there. We’ve done too much. We’ve said too much. The deafening silence on the heels of Trump having dinner with Nazis and antisemites. I mean, come on.

Reactions: Federberg

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
So.. Trump's tax returns. IRS has a lot to answer for. One rule for the orange twat, another rule for everyone else!

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Karma is a b1tch. Anyone feel sorry for Kevin McArthey? This is what happens when you're a spineless prick with no core. If he doesn't win this Speaker vote, how humiliating will it be when he has to move his stuff out of the Speaker's office? The gall of the man to act so pre-emptively. He fully deserves this. He was the one who chin gobbled Trump's nut sack and revived him after he lost the election. I love it!!!

• Haha
Reactions: tented and Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Karma is a b1tch. Anyone feel sorry for Kevin McCarthy? This is what happens when you're a spineless prick with no core. If he doesn't win this Speaker vote, how humiliating will it be when he has to move his stuff out of the Speaker's office? The gall of the man to act so pre-emptively. He fully deserves this. He was the one who chin gobbled Trump's nut sack and revived him after he lost the election. I love it!!!

The Republicans will be even more sorry than they are now with an idiot like McCarthy leading them! He's not well spoken & has never shown any leadership skills! He couldn't even count votes as the Majority Leader dropping the 1st 3 votes they pushed! McCarthy was up for the job after Boehner resigned, but his stupid comments forced Ryan to take the Speakership who didn't want it! This country is screwed save Dems still in charge in the Senate! We can be assured of a gov't shutdown in the next year or 2 with these morons "on the right!" :astonished-face: :thinking-face::fearful-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
The Republicans will be even more sorry than they are now with an idiot like McCarthy leading them! He's not well spoken & has never shown any leadership skills! He couldn't even count votes as the Majority Leader dropping the 1st 3 votes they pushed! McCarthy was up for the job after Boehner resigned, but his stupid comments forced Ryan to take the Speakership who didn't want it! This country is screwed save Dems still in charge in the Senate! We can be assured of a gov't shutdown in the next year or 2 with these morons "on the right!" :astonished-face: :thinking-face::fearful-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth:
no legislation is going to be passed. I'm actually surprised the financial markets haven't figured it out yet. The only way it happens is if McCarthy does a deal with the Dems, and given his acceptance that he can be voted out by his caucus it's hard to see how that happens. So how on earth is the next budget going to be passed. Perhaps Stefanik will end up as the compromise candidate. Otherwise the markets are in for a rude awakening.

I'm not that bothered by a split legislature from a bigger picture view. These woke laws that they're trying to pass are the thin end of the wedge for me. It shows you how bat shit fkg crazy the Dems are that I'm actually not that upset about it

tented

Administrator
Reactions
no legislation is going to be passed. I'm actually surprised the financial markets haven't figured it out yet. The only way it happens is if McCarthy does a deal with the Dems, and given his acceptance that he can be voted out by his caucus it's hard to see how that happens. So how on earth is the next budget going to be passed. Perhaps Stefanik will end up as the compromise candidate. Otherwise the markets are in for a rude awakening.

I'm not that bothered by a split legislature from a bigger picture view. These woke laws that they're trying to pass are the thin end of the wedge for me. It shows you how bat shit fkg crazy the Dems are that I'm actually not that upset about it
I suspect the only Republican who could win at this point would be Steve Scalise. I, for one, would love to see the look on McCarthy’s face as he removes his belongings from the Speaker’s office.

Last edited:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I suspect the only Republican who could win at this point would be Steve Scalise. I, for one, would love to see the look on McCarthy’s face as he removes his belongings from the Speaker’s office.

And so so it continues into a 2nd day! McCarthy's still looking to be validated as SOH, but is losing again in the 4th vote! Trump endorsement failed!

tented

Administrator
Reactions
And so so it continues into a 2nd day! McCarthy's still looking to be validated as SOH, but is losing again in the 4th vote! Trump endorsement failed!
And lost again on a 5th vote. I heard that Gaetz wrote a letter to the Architect of the Capital, asking why McCarthy is occupying the Speaker’s office after losing so many votes. Ouch! :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
And lost again on a 5th vote. I heard that Gaetz wrote a letter to the Architect of the Capital, asking why McCarthy is occupying the Speaker’s office after losing so many votes. Ouch! :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Can I get "6" in here? In the middle of a 6th vote, it appears they'll have to adjourn Congress w/o a Speaker, rules passed, or sworn-in members! :facepalm:

Last edited:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
1672933387732.jpeg

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Well it's become 7 failures w/ another vote going against McCarthy! Jeffries is holding steady w/ 212 Dem votes as McCarthy seems to lose strength each round of this Congressional farce! Trump actually received a nominating vote from the count! :facepalm: :rolleyes::yawningface::face-with-hand-over-mouth::face-with-tears-of-joy:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Well it's become 7 failures w/ another vote going against McCarthy! Jeffries is holding steady w/ 212 Dem votes as McCarthy seems to lose strength each round of this Congressional farce! Trump actually received a nominating vote from the count! :facepalm: :rolleyes::yawningface::face-with-hand-over-mouth::face-with-tears-of-joy:
McCarthy has got to put his ego aside and step away. He won’t do it himself, though — members are going to have to tell him it’s over. Even after all of the concessions he supposedly made last night, none of the holdouts voted for him.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mrzz World Affairs 2449
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 46