The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

tented

Administrator
Reactions
That prick Will Smith has given people ideas... :face-with-symbols-on-mouth:

The fatwa has resumed, apparently. It hadn’t occurred to me until I read your post that it may not be a coincidence that in the wake of Rock and Chapelle being attacked on stage, it has now happened to Rushdie as well.

From the NYT:
Salman Rushdie Is Stabbed During Speech in Western New York

• Wow
Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh, please.
The fatwa has resumed, apparently. It hadn’t occurred to me until I read your post that it may not be a coincidence that in the wake of Rock and Chapelle being attacked on stage, it has now happened to Rushdie as well.

From the NYT:
Salman Rushdie Is Stabbed During Speech in Western New York
Seriously, people had those ideas about attacking Rushdie from years ago. Which is why he was in hiding for so long. I'm not sure someone just found a new sense of agency. I hope Rushdie will be ok. This is sad, and at such a place of literary congeniality as Chautauqua.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Guardian says:

“The news is not good,” Andrew Wylie, Rushdie’s agent, said Friday evening. “Salman will likely lose one eye; the nerves in his arm were severed; and his liver was stabbed and damaged.”

• Sad

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Oh, please.

Seriously, people had those ideas about attacking Rushdie from years ago. Which is why he was in hiding for so long. I'm not sure someone just found a new sense of agency. I hope Rushdie will be ok. This is sad, and at such a place of literary congeniality as Chautauqua.
Yes, of course this idea has been around for decades — hence my reference to the fatwa. I wasn’t born yesterday, I assure you. However there is a renewed sense of violent entitlement these days, and I think that stirred up again this idea of attacking Rushdie.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes, of course this idea has been around for decades — hence my reference to the fatwa. I wasn’t born yesterday, I assure you. However there is a renewed sense of violent entitlement these days, and I think that stirred up again this idea of attacking Rushdie.
agreed. It's interesting that in the wake of the Will Smith incident, all of a sudden we're seeing pricks thinking it's ok to assault people on a stage. One might choose to believe that there's no causality there. But Salman Rushdie has been giving speeches in friendly countries for decades. Decades! But suddenly this happens now, and we're not supposed to assume the a-hole decided to prosecute the attack in the way he did? Well forgive me but the possibility is definitely on the table!

Reactions: tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, it's only been in more recent years that he appeared without any or much security, according to this. So it's hasn't been "decades" without protection. If you guys think it has to do with something Will Smith let loose, ok, fine, but I think fatwa-based violence isn't really related to comedian-based.

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
You make a great point about her not making that much money in the WNBA. I looked it up. $227K/annum. She has a Nike deal, but athletes only have so many years to make $. Yes, dumb and careless to carry her cannabis, but supposedly for pain management. Any chance it was a plant? No way to know if what she has admitted to while incarcerated in Russia is true or coerced. Either way, she'll become a trading pawn. The US can't leave a Black female gay athlete to rot in Russia, and we won't, I feel confident. I really don't care who they give back.
I'm not too sure what the bolded part has to do with anything? Were you being satirical?

And of course it matters who they give back in exchange, the US has some dangerous Russians in their prisons. Again, and I'm not being smart, it's often hard to tell even among friends, but were you being satirical?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, it's only been in more recent years that he appeared without any or much security, according to this. So it's hasn't been "decades" without protection. If you guys think it has to do with something Will Smith let loose, ok, fine, but I think fatwa-based violence isn't really related to comedian-based.
I agree, I don't think Islamist fundamentalists think too much about what Hollywood stars do, they have their own more homegrown bloody examples to follow. The Salman Rushdie attack is immeasurably tragic, and I hope it wakens people up to the fragile nature of freedom and how easy it can be taken away. Even in secular societies there are Trans jihadists attacking writers, comedians, filmmakers etc, cancel culture is rife, and one thing we learned about the horrific fatwa placed on Rushdie, and subsequent attacks and threats to individuals for freely posting what they will, is that the west has internalised the threat and been silenced to a large extent, and that this cannot continue...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Anyone else would've been arrested, but for some reason we allow the stupidest, most evil SOB to run around bragging about getting away w/ it! :facepalm:
If Trump had a single patriotic hair on his head he'd never run for office again. I don't live there but even I see that America is divided between two terrible choices and the divisions are getting worse. You need candidates that are brave to try to understand and appeal to both sides...

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I'm not too sure what the bolded part has to do with anything? Were you being satirical?

And of course it matters who they give back in exchange, the US has some dangerous Russians in their prisons. Again, and I'm not being smart, it's often hard to tell even among friends, but were you being satirical?

Watched a little news programming and the commentators parrot that sentiment! In their opinions, supposedly the support of Black women put Biden in office! They helped I'm sure, but IMO it's BS! Republicans w/ common sense put Biden in his chair! Who else were they supposed to support, psycho TRUMP? :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :fearful-face::face-with-tears-of-joy::astonished-face:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Watched a little news programming and the commentators parrot that sentiment! In their opinions, supposedly the support of Black women put Biden in office! They helped I'm sure, but IMO it's BS! Republicans w/ common sense put Biden in his chair! Who else were they supposed to support, psycho TRUMP? :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :fearful-face::face-with-tears-of-joy::astonished-face:
Hopefully in the next election you’ll have at least one decent candidate from either party for people with common sense to vote for, though who knows where they’ll come from? If people stopped thinking of themselves in terms of the party their mammy voted for, and instead judged political issues without bias, politicians might even bother to try…

:popcorn

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I wasn't being satirical. Russia is not hospitable to gay people. And I doubt they're especially open-minded about women or Black people. And I'm not really kidding that I don't care who they give back. Brittney Griner is a well-respected athlete and doesn't deserve to moulder in a Russian prison. I still think there is a 50% chance she was set up, and made to say what the Russians wanted her to.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In a country this big, with an electorate this disparate, there is no one group that got Biden elected, but Black women deserve more than a little credit. In one person, for example, Stacey Abrams and her efforts in GA. I agree that Republicans who couldn't stomach any more of Trump helped, too, but I wouldn't give them that much credit, as there were still plenty out there drinking the Kool-Aid. You can read the data on the breakdown here from Pew. It's interesting, but it was a lot of things that put Joe over the top.

EDIT: Sorry...I realized that the first time I posted the link didn't take. You can click on the blue above.

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I wasn't being satirical. Russia is not hospitable to gay people. And I doubt they're especially open-minded about women or Black people. And I'm not really kidding that I don't care who they give back. Brittney Griner is a well-respected athlete and doesn't deserve to moulder in a Russian prison. I still think there is a 50% chance she was set up, and made to say what the Russians wanted her to.
It’s not impossible that she was set up, it’s also not impossible that she wasn’t set up, and if that’s the case, she’s going to face what she deserves, under their law. I get what you mean about regrettable Russian attitudes but if she’s guilty, that’s her problem now, isn’t it? She went there voluntarily, knowing all this…

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It’s not impossible that she was set up, it’s also not impossible that she wasn’t set up, and if that’s the case, she’s going to face what she deserves, under their law. I get what you mean about regrettable Russian attitudes but if she’s guilty, that’s her problem now, isn’t it? She went there voluntarily, knowing all this…
Let's imagine that she wasn't set up. I still think there's more nuance in here than just Crime and Punishment. (Sorry...I couldn't resist that.) As @Federberg pointed out, farther up this chain, Griner doesn't make enough money as an WNBA player not to have to play in a foreign country in the off-season, and therefore, Russia. She also comes from a place where what she did was legal, to a place where it wasn't. There is also much discussion that athletes use legal hash oil (in her case) or CBD for pain management, which is certainly part of an athete's life, and a legal option in many places. Surely better than getting addicted to painkillers. We don't know all the fine points of this case, I'm sure, but she had less than an ounce of hash oil on her, which is legally prescribed for her in the US. Is this worth 9 1/2 years in a Russian prison, which also would surely be the end of her athletic career? No athlete wants to be a political football. (Ask Novak.) But some situations are more dire than others. I think Griner deserves what the US can do to get her out of there.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Let's imagine that she wasn't set up. I still think there's more nuance in here than just Crime and Punishment. (Sorry...I couldn't resist that.) As @Federberg pointed out, farther up this chain, Griner doesn't make enough money as an WNBA player not to have to play in a foreign country in the off-season, and therefore, Russia. She also comes from a place where what she did was legal, to a place where it wasn't. There is also much discussion that athletes use legal hash oil (in her case) or CBD for pain management, which is certainly part of an athete's life, and a legal option in many places. Surely better than getting addicted to painkillers. We don't know all the fine points of this case, I'm sure, but she had less than an ounce of hash oil on her, which is legally prescribed for her in the US. Is this worth 9 1/2 years in a Russian prison, which also would surely be the end of her athletic career? No athlete wants to be a political football. (Ask Novak.) But some situations are more dire than others. I think Griner deserves what the US can do to get her out of there.

It's not that I don't care about this woman or others that get caught up with $#!t in Russia! I keep asking "why do these morons go to such a repressed place?" Griner went to play basketball, thinking since the Oligarchs own the teams over there, she'd be ok! She obviously isn't paying attn. to news where Oligarchs have been undersiege since Obama who started tying up their moneys in foreign countries! Griner supposedly makes the lion's share of WNBA money so it's just a $$ grab! So everyone thinks we should have a revolving door and allow mass, serial killers to be let go so we can get her back here in the STATES safe and sound! She was already safe and sound here, but decided to take her chances going abroad! I just don't think it's right to be blackmailed into ignoring real criminals locked up here just for her freedom! :facepalm: :anxious-face-with-sweat::shushing-face::astonished-face::fearful-face:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Let's imagine that she wasn't set up. I still think there's more nuance in here than just Crime and Punishment. (Sorry...I couldn't resist that.)

At least you didn’t expect me to read War and Peace!

:lol6:
As @Federberg pointed out, farther up this chain, Griner doesn't make enough money as an WNBA player not to have to play in a foreign country in the off-season, and therefore, Russia. She also comes from a place where what she did was legal, to a place where it wasn't. There is also much discussion that athletes use legal hash oil (in her case) or CBD for pain management, which is certainly part of an athete's life, and a legal option in many places.
Okay, let’s stop here. If it’s not legal in Russia, then it’s irrelevant if it’s legal in other places. Agreed? People often travel to the ME, get drunk and inappropriate, and whine that they’re treated unfairly, when they had to have checked out the local laws before they went. Kind of like Novak, who claimed ignorance of Australian laws, which didn’t make his case against them same laws any stronger.
Surely better than getting addicted to painkillers. We don't know all the fine points of this case, I'm sure, but she had less than an ounce of hash oil on her, which is legally prescribed for her in the US. Is this worth 9 1/2 years in a Russian prison, which also would surely be the end of her athletic career?
Unfortunately, if that’s their laws, it might well be. Her career isn’t an issue they can be expected to factor into their legal deliberations.
No athlete wants to be a political football. (Ask Novak.)

Novak actually wants to be a political football. The more noise he makes, the more victim he appears, the more he suspects he’ll get a pass.
But some situations are more dire than others. I think Griner deserves what the US can do to get her out of there.
The US can certainly try, but be careful, because the Russians will ask a high price that might have dire and murderous consequences down the line, and personally speaking, I’m not convinced America should go that route, especially if they also suspect she’s guilty. As you say, she uses this stuff where it’s legally accepted, so it isn’t beyond the realms that they caught her with it. A problem for the US govt, and the reason why I asked if you were being satirical, is that they’re compromised by identity politics and so will face pressure from the usual hustlers to rescue her because “she’s black, gay and female”, and not because she’s innocent.

If Russia use her to make a statement, they wouldn’t be dissimilar to other countries who do the same…

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
So crimeing is ok if you're trans-gender as well? We already know that a woman like Amber Heard can shit on her husband's bed, smack him around and generally defame him and still not get fired by her film studio. Doesn't sound like WB want to sack this dude (or dudette... oh who gives a shit) either. Meanwhile at the first sign of an unproved allegation Depp is sacked. I know we're in hell, but someone please tell me which fucking circle is this??

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
So crimeing is ok if you're trans-gender as well? We already know that a woman like Amber Heard can shit on her husband's bed, smack him around and generally defame him and still not get fired by her film studio. Doesn't sound like WB want to sack this dude (or dudette... oh who gives a shit) either. Meanwhile at the first sign of an unproved allegation Depp is sacked. I know we're in hell, but someone please tell me which fucking circle is this??

The pronoun-ho’s are a protected class. They’re victims. They’re on the team. “Sir, how did you get blood on your shirt?”

“My pronouns are dip/shit.”

“Sorry to disturb you ma’am…”

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mrzz World Affairs 2449
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 46