US Politics Thread

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
The Supreme Court has handed the Democrats a gift. Even they won't be incompetent enough not to exploit it. In one fell swoop the passion of the anti-abortionists has been sated, so many of the Republican voters were one issue voters, what incentive will they have now to vote? On the other hand Democrats and Independents who feel strongly about abortion rights suddenly have a target to aim for. And from the sounds of it Clarence Thomas wants to abolish gay marriage. And I haven't even mentioned the New York gun thing. The mid-terms are going to be fascinating to watch. I don't think the stock market will matter on Main Street, but inflation is a bitch of a problem. I don't normally tag incumbents with responsibility for the economy but Biden and the Democrats have to own the covid fiscal stimulus, and that's entirely responsible for this inflation surge, don't kid yourself it's on Russia-Ukraine. This thing has been building up since last year. And when I hear Elizabeth Warren still pushing for Student loan relief.. another massive fiscal stimulus. Dems are still asking for it. If you want to do that make it fiscally neutral by taxing the rich if you want. Good luck with that! But... but... this whole abortion thing is so counter to the prevailing mood of the American voter this just might be enough to finally.. finally provoke a backlash against Republicans. I've got my popcorn out...

PS, since the departure of Trump from Pennsylvania Avenue I've been uninterested in US politics, but this looks like fun!

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
The Supreme Court has handed the Democrats a gift. Even they won't be incompetent enough not to exploit it. In one fell swoop the passion of the anti-abortionists has been sated, so many of the Republican voters were one issue voters, what incentive will they have now to vote? On the other hand Democrats and Independents who feel strongly about abortion rights suddenly have a target to aim for. And from the sounds of it Clarence Thomas wants to abolish gay marriage. And I haven't even mentioned the New York gun thing. The mid-terms are going to be fascinating to watch. I don't think the stock market will matter on Main Street, but inflation is a bitch of a problem. I don't normally tag incumbents with responsibility for the economy but Biden and the Democrats have to own the covid fiscal stimulus, and that's entirely responsible for this inflation surge, don't kid yourself it's on Russia-Ukraine. This thing has been building up since last year. And when I hear Elizabeth Warren still pushing for Student loan relief.. another massive fiscal stimulus. Dems are still asking for it. If you want to do that make it fiscally neutral by taxing the rich if you want. Good luck with that! But... but... this whole abortion thing is so counter to the prevailing mood of the American voter this just might be enough to finally.. finally provoke a backlash against Republicans. I've got my popcorn out...

PS, since the departure of Trump from Pennsylvania Avenue I've been uninterested in US politics, but this looks like fun!

Unfortunately, a great many people in this country are fk'n idiots, not caring that our very democracy has been at stake with the willfull treachery of conservative, bigoted, and evil Republicans! They can justify every thing they do, and the weak-minded followers eat it up because they want to! It doesn't matter the detriment to the country! Their hate for the other side is so great, they just don't GAF! I finally had to give up and stop watching the news as criminal behavior is being ignored and goes unpunished! It's not like women haven't been told what anti-abortionist have been doing, but the patriarchal society has been supported to our detriment, so it's hard to feel sorry for them! Women have screwed themselves, hence me throwing away my feminist card after 2016 election! I'm slowly turning into a misogynist so PO'd with how things have gone with the likes of TRUMP! I'm too disgusted to even care anymore! It's possible to not know what's going on and it appears the truly ignorant are allowing the malfeasance of conservatives who are slowly taking us "back" instead of forward! :pleading-face: :face-vomiting::astonished-face::fearful-face::shushing-face:

Last edited:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Is it just me or does it seem like Conservatives are cashing in on all their Supreme Court wants all of a sudden? For liberals this is probably the darkest hour, but dawn won't be long in coming...

Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Moxie is right. Biden is busy w/ so many other important issues and he would do well to stay far away from that. I'm sorry to Djoke fans but the plight of one unvaxx tennis player is not a priority here. We are dealing with serious issues where people are losing their lives daily.

I mean look at the Brittney Griner situation, and she is a US citizen. The administration wouldn't touch that with a 10 ft pole.

Brittney Griner sentenced to 9 years in Russia! Sounds awful, but all I can ask is, "why TF was she going over to a country we're at odds with?" Due to whatever reason, we'll have to give up an arm's dealer and murderer for a trade we promised not to get into! We overlook these minor details! Regardless if she broke the law or not, why even go to Russia while they're bombing TF out of Ukraine where lives are being lost? Her family needs to look at the big picture! Typical of the USA we can't see the forest for the trees! :astonished-face: :shushing-face::yawningface::angry-face::fearful-face::anxious-face-with-sweat:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Brittney Griner sentenced to 9 years in Russia! Sounds awful, but all I can ask is, "why TF was she going over to a country we're at odds with?" Due to whatever reason, we'll have to give up an arm's dealer and murderer for a trade we promised not to get into! We overlook these minor details! Regardless if she broke the law or not, why even go to Russia while they're bombing TF out of Ukraine where lives are being lost? Her family needs to look at the big picture! Typical of the USA we can't see the forest for the trees! :astonished-face: :shushing-face::yawningface::angry-face::fearful-face::anxious-face-with-sweat:
So, are you suggesting that Novak shouldn't even have tried to play in Australia, since their politics were at odds? Or were you just looking for a place to put this? I could suggest the US politics thread.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Is it just me or does it seem like Conservatives are cashing in on all their Supreme Court wants all of a sudden? For liberals this is probably the darkest hour, but dawn won't be long in coming...
Oh, they are definitely cashing in. It's been a lot about the Supreme Court for a long time. When Scalia died, fully 8 months before the end of Obama's term, the Republicans completely blocked his nominee, saying not enough time left in Obama's term. Yet, when Ginzburg died, just a couple of months before the end of Trump's term, they barreled through a justice appointment, without the slightest embarrassment over the hypocrisy. These people are appointed for life....I'm not sure why you think the "dawn won't be long in coming." I'd love to think so, but curious as to why you are.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This post has nothing to do with Novak and his vaccine stance and visa issues?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
the minor detail is that as a WNBA player she doesn't earn that much. So in the WNBA off season she, and other players, play professionally in other leagues. She just had the misfortune of playing in Russia. A situation that was in place before the Russia/Ukraine war. Not her fault at all. I do however have less sympathy for the whole carrying illegal substances to another country. She's just lucky she wasn't playing professionally in Thailand. She'll probably get released soon on a prisoner swap. Let's be honest, she was monumentally stupid but also had the bad luck to be caught up in geopolitics

Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the minor detail is that as a WNBA player she doesn't earn that much. So in the WNBA off season she, and other players, play professionally in other leagues. She just had the misfortune of playing in Russia. A situation that was in place before the Russia/Ukraine war. Not her fault at all. I do however have less sympathy for the whole carrying illegal substances to another country. She's just lucky she wasn't playing professionally in Thailand. She'll probably get released soon on a prisoner swap. Let's be honest, she was monumentally stupid but also had the bad luck to be caught up in geopolitics
You make a great point about her not making that much money in the WNBA. I looked it up. $227K/annum. She has a Nike deal, but athletes only have so many years to make $. Yes, dumb and careless to carry her cannabis, but supposedly for pain management. Any chance it was a plant? No way to know if what she has admitted to while incarcerated in Russia is true or coerced. Either way, she'll become a trading pawn. The US can't leave a Black female gay athlete to rot in Russia, and we won't, I feel confident. I really don't care who they give back.

• Wow

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
For AG Garland to authorise that search warrant on Trump, you have to think that he was 1,000% certain before shooting his shot. I shudder to think what Trump has done for this to happen. It must be truly bad

tented

Administrator
Reactions
For AG Garland to authorise that search warrant on Trump, you have to think that he was 1,000% certain before shooting his shot. I shudder to think what Trump has done for this to happen. It must be truly bad
It would seem he took papers with him which should have stayed at the White House, which is illegal. There’s a law mandating Presidents (among others) hand over all documents in order for them to be archived. Nothing is to be destroyed or taken with them.

And, yes, Garland must have been certain, because the warrant had to be approved by a Federal judge before being executed by the FBI. No one involved in this would have approved it without absolutely solid evidence.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I heard this morning that invoking the 5th Amendment in a civil suit is not the same as invoking it in a criminal case. I.e., in a criminal case, it can not be taken as an admission of guilt, whereas in a civil case, which this is, it actually can be. (If I understood that correctly.)

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I heard this morning that invoking the 5th Amendment in a civil suit is not the same as invoking it in a criminal case. I.e., in a criminal case, it can not be taken as an admission of guilt, whereas in a civil case, which this is, it actually can be. (If I understood that correctly.)
I found this on a legal site:

When a party invokes the Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination in a civil case, the court is permitted to instruct the jury that it may draw an adverse inference that the answer would have been against the party’s interest. Mitchell v. United States, 526 U.S. 314, 119 S. Ct. 1307, 143 L. Ed. 2d 424 (1999); Baxter v. Palmigiano, 425 U.S. 308, 318, 96 S.Ct. 1551, 47 L.Ed.2d 810 (1976); Farace v. Independent Fire Insurance Co., 699 F.2d 204, 210 (5th Cir.1983).

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I found this on a legal site:

When a party invokes the Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination in a civil case, the court is permitted to instruct the jury that it may draw an adverse inference that the answer would have been against the party’s interest. Mitchell v. United States, 526 U.S. 314, 119 S. Ct. 1307, 143 L. Ed. 2d 424 (1999); Baxter v. Palmigiano, 425 U.S. 308, 318, 96 S.Ct. 1551, 47 L.Ed.2d 810 (1976); Farace v. Independent Fire Insurance Co., 699 F.2d 204, 210 (5th Cir.1983).

Who doesn't believe Trump isn't guilty of any number of crimes? Taking the 5th will definitely impart negative vibes, but not sure it'll matter! :yawningface:

Reactions: tented and Moxie

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Methinks Mr Trump has miscalculated by making so much noise about the search. Now the FBI has filed a motion to unseal the warrant. I have a feeling Trump wouldn't want that information out

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Methinks Mr Trump has miscalculated by making so much noise about the search. Now the FBI has filed a motion to unseal the warrant. I have a feeling Trump wouldn't want that information out

OCO, you have to have a brain to miscalculate ANYTHING! Trump, w/o a doubt is the most impulsive person living today, thinking he can get away w/ anything! So far that's been the case! To this day I'm still wondering why charges that should have been dropped on his arse before he became president are still pending after all these years? Judges and officials he installed haven't given him the smallest break, but for some reason he hasn't been brought to justice! I think most are hoping he just croaks so he can't embarrass the country any longer than necessary! :anxious-face-with-sweat: :shushing-face::astonished-face:

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mrzz World Affairs 2449
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 46