US Politics Thread

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions

I know I'm going off-topic here & hope I'll be excused but I just wanted to say I 1st heard the news when I went into reception at work & that I hope as many people as possible will be o.k. & this is soon over. I hope it's not going to be the start of another world war. I find it scary. (It makes all our little day-to-day troubles seem like nothing.)

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
As terrible as things are in the Ukraine, I'm more concerned about the consequences than the action itself. For example...

(1) Putin has shown that he's willing to reclaim former Soviet territory. Where does this end? It seems that any Ukrainian resistance will end up being based out of Poland, does that push Poland (a NATO ally) into direct conflict with Russia? Note that Belarus is defacto Russian territory with Russian deployments there

(2) Most importantly... what does China think of this, and the toothlessness of NATO? Will that encourage Xi to make a move for Taiwan? That's far far more scary...

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
As terrible as things are in the Ukraine, I'm more concerned about the consequences than the action itself. For example...

(1) Putin has shown that he's willing to reclaim former Soviet territory. Where does this end? It seems that any Ukrainian resistance will end up being based out of Poland, does that push Poland (a NATO ally) into direct conflict with Russia? Note that Belarus is defacto Russian territory with Russian deployments there

(2) Most importantly... what does China think of this, and the toothlessness of NATO? Will that encourage Xi to make a move for Taiwan? That's far far more scary...
I'm just as concerned about both the action & the potential consequences. I'm hoping this doesn't lead to another world war. When I heard the news when I went into work on reception yesterday it sounded very much like the news sounded just before both the 2nd world war started to me. That's why I thought it sounded scary. I'm hoping it won't turn out that way but we can only hope.

Last edited:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Of course Xi will make a play for Taiwan. The torch paper has been lit. Welcome to WW3.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Of course Xi will make a play for Taiwan. The torch paper has been lit. Welcome to WW3.
Ugh... I'm literally stuck. I was riding the inflation panic, not really believing Putin would do this. Now I have to think, if I were Xi and I really wanted to invade Taiwan, when. would I do it? Logic says it could happen within months. I'm stuck because I have a chunk of Asian equities that have done pretty well over the last few years. If China goes into Taiwan......:astonished-face:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ugh... I'm literally stuck. I was riding the inflation panic, not really believing Putin would do this. Now I have to think, if I were Xi and I really wanted to invade Taiwan, when. would I do it? Logic says it could happen within months. I'm stuck because I have a chunk of Asian equities that have done pretty well over the last few years. If China goes into Taiwan......:astonished-face:

I wouldn't even worry about money mate. You can't eat paper or numbers on a screen. Make sure you have physical food and water for a couple of months at least. Alarmist? Watch how quickly this unfolds...

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
someone in the politbureau..is it still called that ?..kremlin sounds more like it, needs to blow the vlad away.

fucker has lost the plot, 2years of covid paranoia has tipped him over the frigging edge.

we can't be having all this shit because of one mans ego. we are drifting towards nuclear war again.
if vladdy starts invading estonia or where ever, then they are nato countries...umm.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
1646224028591.png

Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I find the praise people are giving Elon Musk in the proposition to buy Twitter a bit much . I’m like he doesn’t care about your free speech. He cares about his speech and having a platform to move about unchallenged. Doesn’t care what Fred from Florida has to say about abortion or the nitwits in Congress tweet. Literally, he just wants to push his propaganda.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I find the praise people are giving Elon Musk in the proposition to buy Twitter a bit much . I’m like he doesn’t care about your free speech. He cares about his speech and having a platform to move about unchallenged. Doesn’t care what Fred from Florida has to say about abortion or the nitwits in Congress tweet. Literally, he just wants to push his propaganda.
I’m not too sure what “propaganda” Musk could be expected to spread. Most of the praise/criticism regarding his purchase falls largely along political tribal lines, but bear in mind that most of the people fearful of his takeover of Twitter didn’t seem to mind outrageous Twitter bias in last US Presidential to help Biden. Twitter firmly planted themselves on one side of the cultural divide and have always used their influence accordingly.

Now the fear is that they’ll do exactly the same, but this time for the other side of the tribal division? I would say then in this case that the loud complaints are hypocritical, to say the least.

Musk has said that he’ll allow speech that isn’t prohibited by law. That sounds reasonable, and practical, and possibly more easy to understand for those who fall foul of Twitter’s rules..

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mrzz World Affairs 2449
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 46