US Politics Thread

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Interested in hearing thoughts about Cuomo. Personally I think if any should be allowed to do him in, it's the nursing home thing. Not this other thing. It's not substantial enough imho

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Interested in hearing thoughts about Cuomo. Personally I think if any should be allowed to do him in, it's the nursing home thing. Not this other thing. It's not substantial enough imho
I was actually going to respond on him. As I have said around here, Cuomo is not that well-liked in NY. Rather like Giuliani, he is (or was, in the case of RG) good in an emergency. We loved Rudy for a brief period after 9/11, which is what made him famous outside of NYC. Same with Cuomo...suddenly the country was hanging on his daily briefs because he was telling people concrete and informed things, unlike Trump. But like Giuliani, the thing that makes him good in an emergency is what makes us not like him, most of the time: he's an arrogant bully. It sort of works, in extremis, when everyone needs one person to tell us what's going on and what to do. If it turns out that he's inappropriate, mean and worse, no one here is going to be shocked. The choices he made re: nursing homes is of a piece with who he is: i.e., that he makes unilateral decisions and they're not always good. He's not fit for national office, and I think that door is now closed. If we get rid of him early in NY, worse things could happen to us. The rest of the country came late to the party on Cuomo, as they did on Giuliani, and fell in love very superficially.

Not being a Californian, I don't feel I can speak with the same subtlety on Gavin Newsom. Other than that men in power sometimes abuse it, take advantage and are guilty of sexual harassment? I'm shocked. Shocked, I say. People should get what they deserve for their transgressions against others, but that's also not uncomplicated to figure out.

Does that help?

Reactions: Federberg

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I was actually going to respond on him. As I have said around here, Cuomo is not that well-liked in NY. Rather like Giuliani, he is (or was, in the case of RG) good in an emergency. We loved Rudy for a brief period after 9/11, which is what made him famous outside of NYC. Same with Cuomo...suddenly the country was hanging on his daily briefs because he was telling people concrete and informed things, unlike Trump. But like Giuliani, the thing that makes him good in an emergency is what makes us not like him, most of the time: he's an arrogant bully. It sort of works, in extremis, when everyone needs one person to tell us what's going on and what to do. If it turns out that he's inappropriate, mean and worse, no one here is going to be shocked. The choices he made re: nursing homes is of a piece with who he is: i.e., that he makes unilateral decisions and they're not always good. He's not fit for national office, and I think that door is now closed. If we get rid of him early in NY, worse things could happen to us. The rest of the country came late to the party on Cuomo, as they did on Giuliani, and fell in love very superficially.

Not being a Californian, I don't feel I can speak with the same subtlety on Gavin Newsom. Other than that men in power sometimes abuse it, take advantage and are guilty of sexual harassment? I'm shocked. Shocked, I say. People should get what they deserve for their transgressions against others, but that's also not uncomplicated to figure out.

Does that help?
I really think Dems should think twice about getting rid of their own for stuff like this. For competency issues absolutely. But I don't see much upside in seppuku given where the GOP is right now.

As an aside.. why do you think it is, that Governors in New York need to be bullies to be effective? It seems to imply something about governing in New York, although I'm not quite sure what...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I really think Dems should think twice about getting rid of their own for stuff like this. For competency issues absolutely. But I don't see much upside in seppuku given where the GOP is right now.

As an aside.. why do you think it is, that Governors in New York need to be bullies to be effective? It seems to imply something about governing in New York, although I'm not quite sure what...
Giuliani was Mayor of the city of NY, Cuomo is the Gov. of the State. But they aren't all bullies. Bloomberg (mayor) was very CEO like, so bossy, but not a bully. He took lots of unilateral decisions. Andrew's father, Mario, was a much-loved governor of NY. He was not at all a bully. A great intellect, a fatherly presence. Ed Koch (mayor) was great and not at all a bully. Big personality, though.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
for the first time I'm actually starting to wonder about the chances of Cuomo getting impeached. This thing is like snowball right now...

tented

Administrator
Reactions
for the first time I'm actually starting to wonder about the chances of Cuomo getting impeached. This thing is like snowball right now...

He may still resign, with Schumer and Gillibrand now calling for him to resign.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He may still resign, with Schumer and Gillibrand now calling for him to resign.
Personally, I think impeachment is the least likely. He'll resign before it comes to that. Or he'll survive to finish his term, but this is the end of the line for his political career. IMO.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^sorry I just re-read what I wrote. I should have said "I'm actually starting to wonder about the chances of Cuomo surviving". I agree it doesn't matter how it happens. Resignation far more likely.

As an aside I find it hilarious that Chris Cuomo is not confronting the issues. He must never call himself a journalist again :D

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I saw this from GOP Strategist Tony Fabrizio. Interesting?

EwT8ndRVIAEfLXg.jpeg

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
What Is Happening to the Republicans? By Jelani Cobb. He predicts the GOP is on its way out.
wishful thinking probably. I understand the logic of demographics, but it sure looks like Biden's reversal of Trump policies are creating an immigration crisis. Don't get me wrong, I think it was the right thing, but you need to plan for the consequences. Perhaps this stimulus bill will save his bacon, but that all depends on whether inflation continues to remain benign. If it does then I think the Dems will gain seats in 22 and be favourites in 24

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
As of now, Nelsom is in a different pickle than Cuomo. There are no external pressures for Newsom to step down.

It appears Cumo had both ethical lapses in governing ( the deliberate miscounting of nursing home deaths) and conduct ( the toxic work environment/sexual harassment ) coupled with a crescendo of politicians within his party who had a genuine antipathy/resentment of him per his bulldozer track record. So to an outsider like me it seems regardless how NY does going forward, he’s toast.

in contrast, Newsom doesn’t appear to be hugely unpopular with the rank and file state politicians. Early on he got points for preemptive actions ( 1st in the US) in shutting down Cali to prevent the spread, however we saw how that worked out. His malfeasance, so to speak, is linked more to the public’s perception of his poor performance/effectiveness vis a vis the COVID. The lack of a coordinated effort statewide early on, miscommunications and lack of openness to give Californians accurate updates, and crucially the timing of shutdowns and reopenings which have hobbled the economy, and how the covid spread like wildfire despite Californians early willingness to shelter, etc. Now The knock on Gavin has always been that’s he’s a political bubble person, ( some joke he’s the love child of Nancy Pelosi and Willie Brown) aloof and arrogant and out of touch with how his policies impact the average joe blow,. That got encapsulated when in the middle of the shutdown he shows up having dinner at Napa Valley’s The French Laundry for a lobbyist friend. The optics smacked of hypocrisy and double standards which annoyed even his loyal base ( the French Laundry this days I think the cost Is 450 minimum per person, for the fixed price menu , and I’m assuming no wine. The wife and I have joked about getting on the looong waiting list because it’s such an iconic foodie Mecca for Northern Cal folks, but dang it, that’s a flight to Europe!)

*If * the vaccinations can proceed in an exponentially increasing numbers, and there is a systematic opening up of the economy, his stock will rise because so far he hasn’t had a major ethical lapse. In Cali it all depends on the drive to recall petition that is being counted even now.

The last (and very rare) successful Governor recall was Gray Davis back in 2003(?) spotless personal character, but was perceived to have badly mishandled an energy crisis ( think Enron machinations) which resulted in blackouts and price gouging due to gaps in the deregulated California power grid. That coupled with a huge spike in DMV registration fees ( we are talking Californians cars here) and it became a perfect storm.

it’s not there yet, but if the Covid crisis management goes sideways it could potentially get there For Gavin. Like I said, Right now they are trying to validate all the signatures in the petition for a recall election, ( needed is 1.5 millions verified signatures or 12% of those who voted) but again, if things pickup economically what a waste of money because it seems most Democratic voters polled are not in favor of it. Because of course the next governor election is around the corner In Nov 2022.

Reactions: tented and Moxie

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
What Is Happening to the Republicans? By Jelani Cobb. He predicts the GOP is on its way out.
I'll say one thing about the Republican Party though. Senator Ron Johnson said it out loud and proud. His comment about not being afraid of the insurrectionists because they were white (and the fact that he would have been worried if they had been BLM protesters) is as naked a play for the racist vote that I've heard. The fact that a sitting US Senator who's seat is up in '22 is keen to get that out there is alarming for what it says about the GOP primary voter

Reactions: tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'll say one thing about the Republican Party though. Senator Ron Johnson said it out loud and proud. His comment about not being afraid of the insurrectionists because they were white (and the fact that he would have been worried if they had been BLM protesters) is as naked a play for the racist vote that I've heard. The fact that a sitting US Senator who's seat is up in '22 is keen to get that out there is alarming for what it says about the GOP primary voter
Did that come off as a calculated remark to you as in appealing to GOP voters? I thought it was really exposing his own personal and blatant racism. If the voters don't kick him out for it, then I would say that was on them. What is also alarming is that the climate on conservative media is such that he felt completely comfortable saying it.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Did that come off as a calculated remark to you as in appealing to GOP voters? I thought it was really exposing his own personal and blatant racism. If the voters don't kick him out for it, then I would say that was on them. What is also alarming is that the climate on conservative media is such that he felt completely comfortable saying it.
that's my point, he clearly felt comfortable saying it. I suspect it might work in GOP primaries. I can only hope that it's a losing strategy in an actual election. But the point is that even a numb-nut like him considers this a viable strategy in 2021

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting point made by Senator Warnock in his floor speech.... Republicans want the rights of the minority protected with the fillibuster in the Senate, but want to eliminate minority rights in the States. Quite a contrast!

Reactions: Moxie and tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
172 Republicans voted against the Violence Against Women act. Including women in congress. The NRA has basically no legs anymore, so why do the Republicans have to politicize what is rather a bi-partisan no-brainer? DC statehood is actually gaining legs, and yet Sen. Tom Cotton has to tell us how "dangerous" that would be. Puerto Rico is also in the conversation, but the Republicans are against it because it would give Dems two more Senators. Same as DC. I know @Federberg that you have long argued for why don't the Republicans try harder to win people over rather than just blocking them? Why do they concede that they can't win them over? Obviously, it's because they have pulled in completely with their white identity base. It really is pathetic, though, that all they've got as an argument is that it will only make Democrats more powerful. And that their way forward is to disenfranchise people, and keep certain groups without a voice. It is ridiculous that the District of Columbia has no vote in the House or Senate, nor Puerto Rico, for that matter. We split with England nearly 250 years ago over taxation without representation.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
172 Republicans voted against the Violence Against Women act. Including women in congress. The NRA has basically no legs anymore, so why do the Republicans have to politicize what is rather a bi-partisan no-brainer? DC statehood is actually gaining legs, and yet Sen. Tom Cotton has to tell us how "dangerous" that would be. Puerto Rico is also in the conversation, but the Republicans are against it because it would give Dems two more Senators. Same as DC. I know @Federberg that you have long argued for why don't the Republicans try harder to win people over rather than just blocking them? Why do they concede that they can't win them over? Obviously, it's because they have pulled in completely with their white identity base. It really is pathetic, though, that all they've got as an argument is that it will only make Democrats more powerful. And that their way forward is to disenfranchise people, and keep certain groups without a voice. It is ridiculous that the District of Columbia has no vote in the House or Senate, nor Puerto Rico, for that matter. We split with England nearly 250 years ago over taxation without representation.
I completely agree. I can only believe that this current incarnation of the Republican Party will be destroyed at some point. It looks like it'll have to be at the ballot box, as no one appears to have the minerals to take a stand against Trumpism. There's actually a reasonable chance of a really good outcome for Dems in 22. This $1.9trn stimulus plan will be a massive boost not just for the US economy but in all likelihood the global economy as well. Inflation is a concern but I don't see "bad" inflation being a threat for years to come, if at all. If that's the case then this could potentially fatally damage one of the GOP narratives to oppose Dems. The whole "government is bad" branding. In fact opposition to this might actually end up looking extremely unpopular and result in. backlash against "crazy" Republicans. That's my hope anyway...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mrzz World Affairs 2449
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 46