US Politics Thread

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Fascinating watching the criticism Obama is getting from progressives regarding his comment about 'Defund the police'. It's just remarkable that they are trying to defend this point. This is how they lose

Reactions: tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fascinating watching the criticism Obama is getting from progressives regarding his comment about 'Defund the police'. It's just remarkable that they are trying to defend this point. This is how they lose
I've said this before, but I totally agree that holding onto the slogan "Defund the Police" without explaining it adequately puts most people off. Obama said it's about "reforming" the police, which I agree with. Changes need to be made, including taking cops off of the duty of dealing with mental health issues and moving those funds to services better suited to dealing with them. But I saw some of the Twitter criticism. They acted as if Obama didn't understand that Beonna Taylor and George Floyd and others weren't an issue. This is wrong-headed and bang-the-can radicalism for the sake of it. Politically, it's disastrous, but more fundamentally, it's a lack of understanding the subtleties of the issue, if you ask me. Describe terms better, and know what you're fighting for.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I've said this before, but I totally agree that holding onto the slogan "Defund the Police" without explaining it adequately puts most people off. Obama said it's about "reforming" the police, which I agree with. Changes need to be made, including taking cops off of the duty of dealing with mental health issues and moving those funds to services better suited to dealing with them. But I saw some of the Twitter criticism. They acted as if Obama didn't understand that Beonna Taylor and George Floyd and others weren't an issue. This is wrong-headed and bang-the-can radicalism for the sake of it. Politically, it's disastrous, but more fundamentally, it's a lack of understanding the subtleties of the issue, if you ask me. Describe terms better, and know what you're fighting for.
exactly. Frankly it's alarming that a lot of these folks refuse to acknowledge the political trap they fell into. Someone sent me a clip of Sunny Hostin on The View refusing to accept that the 'Defund the Police' slogan was damaging. If you can't even understand the basics of politics how will you ever learn?

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Trump attended a rally in GA "in support" of the Republican candidates in the run-off election set for Jan. Spent a few minutes on them, and the rest of the time ranting about the stolen election, and how this run-off will be stolen, too. He may single-handedly give the Senate to the Democrats by putting off GA Republicans from voting. Apart from that, his haranguing against the US electoral process, despite lack of evidence, testimonies by even Republican electoral officials, and determinations by judges..including ones that he appointed...are damaging to confidence in our democracy. At this point, he's giving even sore losers a bad name. His attempts at vindicating his claims, and the people brought forth in support of them, are increasingly loopy. Everyone in his immediate circle is jockeying for position on their pardon. Is the man actually governing anymore? Oh, and now Giuliani has COVID, too.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Trump attended a rally in GA "in support" of the Republican candidates in the run-off election set for Jan. Spent a few minutes on them, and the rest of the time ranting about the stolen election, and how this run-off will be stolen, too. He may single-handedly give the Senate to the Democrats by putting off GA Republicans from voting. Apart from that, his haranguing against the US electoral process, despite lack of evidence, testimonies by even Republican electoral officials, and determinations by judges..including ones that he appointed...are damaging to confidence in our democracy. At this point, he's giving even sore losers a bad name. His attempts at vindicating his claims, and the people brought forth in support of them, are increasingly loopy. Everyone in his immediate circle is jockeying for position on their pardon. Is the man actually governing anymore? Oh, and now Giuliani has COVID, too.
it's absolutely terrifying that over 70 million Americans voted to continue the madness :facepalm:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
So Trump says he's "probably worked harder in the last 3 weeks than" any other time in his life. Just imagine that. He's been focussed on trying to delegitimise an election. Not to try to help minimise the loss of American lives due to covid-19. What an utterly utterly foul human being. How is it possible the whole United States isn't outraged by that. Almost 300,000 dead ffs...

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
since when was eating cheeseburgers, tweeting while sitting on the toilet with his y-fronts round his ankles, whining and bleating like a 5yr old girl with no balloons, yelling at the tv, and cheating at golf been classed as working hard ?.

erm..never. apart frpm inside president donald's hamster inhabited head.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
since when was eating cheesebirgers, tweeting while sitting on the toilet with his y-fronts round his ankles, whining and bleating like a 5yr old girl with no balloons, yelling at the tv, and cheating at golf been classed as working hard ?.

erm..never. apart frpm inside president donald's hamster inhabited head.
I was trying to figure out how to respond to that astonishing notion, but I think you nailed it. :good:

Reactions: JesuslookslikeBorg

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
If Trump had quietly accepted defeat I might have reluctantly tolerated a Biden Administration not going after him and his people. But this ’Stop the steal’ thing is a cancer that HAS to be crushed. This is not something that you can look past. Too many dumb Americans are going to think there is legitimacy to this thing. Ironically I think that Barr has given Biden an opening. The Presiden-elect should use the investigation of his son as proof that no one is above the law. Unleash the DoJ on Trump and let Americans come to fully understand the entirety of his corruption. If Biden doesn’t do this he’ll be making an even bigger mistake than not prosecuting bankers in 2009. I’m not sure that even I will be able to forgive him if he doesn’t

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If Trump had quietly accepted defeat I might have reluctantly tolerated a Biden Administration not going after him and his people. But this ’Stop the steal’ thing is a cancer that HAS to be crushed. This is not something that you can look past. Too many dumb Americans are going to think there is legitimacy to this thing. Ironically I think that Barr has given Biden an opening. The Presiden-elect should use the investigation of his son as proof that no one is above the law. Unleash the DoJ on Trump and let Americans come to fully understand the entirety of his corruption. If Biden doesn’t do this he’ll be making an even bigger mistake than not prosecuting bankers in 2009. I’m not sure that even I will be able to forgive him if he doesn’t
And Barr resigns. I agree that this petulant, self-serving sore-loser business is larger than just Trump, his ego and his followers...it is/has been an actual threat to democracy. Texas suing other states and claiming that they don't know how to hold their own elections? Wide-spread attempts to use the judiciary to overturn the enfranchisement of actual voters? It does seem that Trump is out of options, but, yeah, why not seek prosecution for the so many ways that he has subverted the norms and rules of law? He has insisted for the last 4 years that he can't be prosecuted because he's the President, essentially admitting that, if he weren't, he could be screwed. Well, he will become a regular citizen again in about 70 days. I don't even see what this has to do with Hunter Biden, but looking into his taxes is rich, from the waning Trump administration.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
surely this will lead to prosecution when he leaves office..?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I doubt that. He's absolutely appalling, but with a divided government and so many Republicans intent on sucking up to the Trump base, even threatening our democracy seems to have no affect on some people. Very keen to see what happens in GA tomorrow. Will some folks believe him that the election is rigged and vote anyway?

Last edited:

tented

Administrator
Reactions

I agree with @Moxie. Think of it this way: when was the last time someone famous and/or powerful was convicted in the US?

What this does assure is Trump at least trying to pardon himself before leaving office. Whether or not that will succeed, I‘m not sure. The law is sketchy, as I understand it. I’ve heard some people say he can and others have said he can’t. But he’ll try. It would be so satisfying if it went to the conservative-majority Supreme Court and they ruled he can’t pardon himself.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree with @Moxie. Think of it this way: when was the last time someone famous and/or powerful was convicted in the US?

What this does assure is Trump at least trying to pardon himself before leaving office. Whether or not that will succeed, I‘m not sure. The law is sketchy, as I understand it. I’ve heard some people say he can and others have said he can’t. But he’ll try. It would be so satisfying if it went to the conservative-majority Supreme Court and they ruled he can’t pardon himself.
Especially at the Federal level, this isn't going to get Trump into any further legal problems. Things are dramatically different at the State level especially in Southern district of New York. Trump isnt going to be immune from prosecution. The post election 250 million dollars Trump has grifted from his loyal base will get consumed over the next few years for his legal expenses.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

It would be almost worth it to see how he'd word a pardon of himself. Would he manage to pardon himself without copping to having done anything wrong? Tricky stuff.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
"The Devil called down to Georgia. He was looking for some votes to steal. He was in bind because he was way behind and he was willing to make a deal."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mrzz World Affairs 2449
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 46