US Politics Thread

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Michigan election officials refuse to knuckle under to pressure and will certify votes as cast. In addition, the Trump lawyers mistake Minnesota for Michigan in their arguments for voter fraud. This just gets more embarrassing.

Reactions: tented

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
"The Social Dilemma" has been much recommended around here, and there's a thread for a certain discussion on AI. I tried to watch it, but I found much was stuff we already know, (maybe I'm too much of a news junky) and I didn't like the docudrama trope. I'll give it another try...maybe I was in the wrong mood.

I do disagree about your roping in journalists with editorialists and TV talking heads. There still is a difference, and not just on the margins. I find thinking otherwise to be too cynical. Yes, Network was a brilliant film and a vision of our future (and even then-present.) But I don't buy that it's a lost battle, which everyone seems to be claiming.
Not necessarily a lost battle, but I don't find any of the corporate news outlets to be trustworthy, at least beyond a certain point. So, sure, I'm cynical.

Reactions: Moxie

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
do Guiliani and Ellis realise how expendable they are as well?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
So there was a G20 summit on covid-19 over the weekend. The Trump Administration didn't participate despite the fact they were scheduled to be a part of it. Trump played golf instead. Yet he continues to spew lies, refuse to concede defeat and claim that he should still remain President. Does the man even want to be in the job? Or is it just the losing part that he has a problem with? It's utterly bizarre. This is a 70+yr old grown ass man. I mean... WTF???

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So there was a G20 summit on covid-19 over the weekend. The Trump Administration didn't participate despite the fact they were scheduled to be a part of it. Trump played golf instead. Yet he continues to spew lies, refuse to concede defeat and claim that he should still remain President. Does the man even want to be in the job? Or is it just the losing part that he has a problem with? It's utterly bizarre. This is a 70+yr old grown ass man. I mean... WTF???
Trump is too busy fighting the election results...oh, and golfing...to participate in a G20 Covid summit, apparently. He seems to be wanting yet another hand recount of GA, after they already did one, which would be at the expense of the GA taxpayers. PA is set to certify their election tonight. He's basically out of hope for overturning the election results, though there are some real machinations they could try to invoke down the road. But, besides hating to lose, he's also using it as a fund-raising effort. There are a lot of reasons for Trump to keep this going, and none of them are benevolent or have in any way a concern for our democracy.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
latest news is Trump is a step close to conceding -

Donald Trump has accepted a formal US transition should begin for President-elect Joe Biden to take office.
The president said the federal agency overseeing the handover must "do what needs to be done", even as he vowed to keep contesting his election defeat.
The General Services Administration (GSA) said it was acknowledging Mr Biden as the "apparent winner".
It came as Mr Biden's victory in the state of Michigan was officially certified, a major blow to Mr Trump.

The Biden team welcomed the start of the transition process as the Democratic president-elect gears up to be sworn in on 20 January.
"Today's decision is a needed step to begin tackling the challenges facing our nation, including getting the pandemic under control and our economy back on track," said its statement.
"This final decision is a definitive administrative action to formally begin the transition process with federal agencies."
Earlier on Monday, Mr Biden unveiled a foreign policy and national security team consisting of old colleagues from his years in the Obama administration.
He will appoint Anthony Blinken as secretary of state and John Kerry as climate envoy, while Janet Yellen is tipped to be the first female US treasury secretary.

What did Trump say?​

Mr Trump tweeted as the GSA, which is tasked with formally beginning presidential transitions, informed the Biden camp that it would start the process.
Administrator Emily Murphy said she was making $6.3m (£4.7m) in funds available to the president-elect.
While pledging to keep up the "good fight", the president said: "Nevertheless, in the best interest of our Country, I am recommending that Emily and her team do what needs to be done with regard to initial protocols, and have told my team to do the same."

Ms Murphy, a Trump appointee, cited "recent developments involving legal challenges and certifications of election results" in her decision to send the letter.
She said she had received no pressure from the White House over the timing of her decision.
"To be clear I did not receive any direction to delay my determination," said Ms Murphy's letter to Mr Biden.
"I did, however, receive threats online, by phone, and by mail directed at my safety, my family, my staff, and even my pets in an effort to coerce me into making this determination prematurely.
"Even in the face of thousands of threats I have remained committed to upholding the law."

She had faced criticism from both political sides for failing to begin the transition process sooner, usually a routine step between the election and the inauguration.
Ms Murphy missed a deadline on Monday set by Democrats in the House of Representatives to brief lawmakers about the delay.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Trump will never concede. It will be a slow drip to inevitability, but as long as he can keep making political noise, political hay out of it, and fundraising on it, he'll just let it go on until the inauguration. He's never going to say out loud that he lost the election, however harmful that may and will be to the unity of the country.

Reactions: Federberg

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Trump will never concede. It will be a slow drip to inevitability, but as long as he can keep making political noise, political hay out of it, and fundraising on it, he'll just let it go on until the inauguration. He's never going to say out loud that he lost the election, however harmful that may and will be to the unity of the country.
It's going to be interesting to see how powerful his voice is once he's out of office. At the moment, we have to bet that he'll still have the power to frighten GOP politicians, but you have to think that they'll start quietly trying to take their power back. Probably behind the scenes. It wouldn't shock me if they quietly encourage legal attacks against him to weaken his influence and keep him busy

Reactions: tented

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Trump is too busy fighting the election results...oh, and golfing...to participate in a G20 Covid summit, apparently. He seems to be wanting yet another hand recount of GA, after they already did one, which would be at the expense of the GA taxpayers. PA is set to certify their election tonight. He's basically out of hope for overturning the election results, though there are some real machinations they could try to invoke down the road. But, besides hating to lose, he's also using it as a fund-raising effort. There are a lot of reasons for Trump to keep this going, and none of them are benevolent or have in any way a concern for our democracy.
The man is far too incompetent and narcissistic to hold on to that money for long. Remember that he's never been able to manage organisations, I don't expect he'll use his resources wisely or even legally. I think he'll be surprised how difficult it is to raise big money once he's out of the White House

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I hope Dems understand how critical this Administration is going to be for them in terms of minority votes. The time for talk is all over. Yes Trump and the GOP is trying to disenfranchise minority voters. But it's not enough to ensure that minority votes are recognised. If the will of minority voters are not actualised in policy that's also a form of disenfranchisement

Reactions: Moxie and tented

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
trump sitting at his tiny desk. :lulz1:

and he keeps inventing new ways to keep losing..paid 3m dollars for a recount somewhere but ended up giving biden an extra 122 votes or thereabouts. :dance2:so much winning for president donald.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
wow... just looking at the numbers.. Biden : 80.1m; Trump 73.9m... a +6m differential. A beatdown by any definition.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Finally able to express my opinion of this terrible president

128529859_10223623836973058_7127887984740504899_o.jpg

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
did we mention the comedy zone featuring rudy colludy ?,,press conf a while ago in between a garden centre and a dildo store.

and 'just for men' hair dye trickling down his face at another media do. ooh what a mess.

• Haha
Reactions: tented and Moxie
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mrzz World Affairs 2449
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 46