US Politics Thread

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kellyanne Conway quits. I'm guessing there is more to this story than the "want to spend time with my family" narrative.

From her husband George's twitter account:
https://twitter.com/gtconway3d

So I’m withdrawing from
@ProjectLincoln
to devote more time to family matters. And I’ll be taking a Twitter hiatus. Needless to say, I continue to support the Lincoln Project and its mission. Passionately.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that something had to give so I"m speculating this is the attempt to keep the Conway marriage/family from permanently splintering. I'm frankly surprised they let it go on as long as they did, ie both so publicly and philosophically opposed to other's position. Oh to be a fly on the wall in that household.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The whole "listen to the science" rhetoric has been interesting to follow. It seems "listen to the science" means "listen to the scientists that align with my view".

Fauci's commentary on the Hydroxychloroquine narrative does have a "one doth protest too much" feel about it, and a lot of frontline physicians are using it with reportedly good results in many countries. Kind of strange that these narratives are getting censored.

I'm following this whole Hydroxychloroquine episode with a lot of interest.

Then you should find this interesting, Britbox. Dr. Risch at Yale is pulling no punches when it comes to Fauci's suppression of hydroxychloroquine. Risch is defending the drug and clearly implying that Fauci suppressed it because he wanted something more dramatic to be discovered (i.e. a vaccine) that would bring him fame and bring his friends in the pharmaceutical industry a big pay day. Here's a great new interview with Risch on the subject:

Yale Epidemiologist: Dr. Fauci & FDA Have Caused the 'Deaths of Hundreds of Thousands of Americans'

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
it's easy to assume that Trump supporters are dumb uneducated yokels but I don't believe that's the case. All the Trump supporters I get to speak to are upper income. We would describe them as upper middle class in the UK. It's going to be fascinating to see if Trump is on to something with this claim that Biden is going to destroy suburbia. These are the very people I think he's speaking to. What America is going to win out? I wonder...

Right now, polls look stronger in Biden's favour than they did for HRC, and even then Trump needed Comey and an inside straight on election day. I still think he's going to lose, but I do continue to pay attention to 3 possibilities (1) a Biden blow out (2) a close Biden win or (3) a close Trump win

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
it's easy to assume that Trump supporters are dumb uneducated yokels but I don't believe that's the case. All the Trump supporters I get to speak to are upper income. We would describe them as upper middle class in the UK. It's going to be fascinating to see if Trump is on to something with this claim that Biden is going to destroy suburbia. These are the very people I think he's speaking to. What America is going to win out? I wonder...

Right now, polls look stronger in Biden's favour than they did for HRC, and even then Trump needed Comey and an inside straight on election day. I still think he's going to lose, but I do continue to pay attention to 3 possibilities (1) a Biden blow out (2) a close Biden win or (3) a close Trump win

As @Jelenafan mentioned - it's only really the swing states that matter. Florida is going to be the big one, and it'll be close.

If it is close, then I'm not sure either of the losing parties will necessarily concede officially. Clinton has been telling Biden not to concede, and I very much doubt Trump will.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Then you should find this interesting, Britbox. Dr. Risch at Yale is pulling no punches when it comes to Fauci's suppression of hydroxychloroquine. Risch is defending the drug and clearly implying that Fauci suppressed it because he wanted something more dramatic to be discovered (i.e. a vaccine) that would bring him fame and bring his friends in the pharmaceutical industry a big pay day. Here's a great new interview with Risch on the subject:

Yale Epidemiologist: Dr. Fauci & FDA Have Caused the 'Deaths of Hundreds of Thousands of Americans'

I don't know if it's about fame so much with Fauci. I think there is something much bigger going on and Fauci is in on it. If anybody predicted the course of events this year, then they'd be sectioned as a conspiracy theorist nutjob. When conspiracy theories seem far more viable than the "official truth," then its probably because they are.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
it's easy to assume that Trump supporters are dumb uneducated yokels but I don't believe that's the case. All the Trump supporters I get to speak to are upper income. We would describe them as upper middle class in the UK.

There you go Federbergy…..there you go. Now you're getting it. The fact is, as anyone living in the United States knows, the average Trump voter is far more intelligent and far more informed about basic issues than the average Democratic voter, and it's not even close. The Democrats rely on an angry, rage-filled base of low-information and politically apathetic people driven simply by the most base prejudices.

The one advantage the Democrats have though is that while the right has more intelligence and more politically knowledgeable people, the left certainly has more zealots. And the latter drive the public discourse. The right has the brains but the left has the shouters and moral fanatics, which does provide a rhetorical and psychological advantage to them in the media-driven public discourse.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't know if it's about fame so much with Fauci. I think there is something much bigger going on and Fauci is in on it. If anybody predicted the course of events this year, then they'd be sectioned as a conspiracy theorist nutjob. When conspiracy theories seem far more viable than the "official truth," then its probably because they are.

Well if you are suggesting that Fauci has promoted the Covid hype partially to take down Trump, I think that is very clear. He is closely connected to numerous leading Democrats, including Pelosi. He has lived for 40 years in the D.C. world that is heavily controlled by Democrats. And, in a way, he is the perfect foil to Trump because he plays both sides with Trump, being agreeable one minute toward him with compliments and then undermining him with contrary public statements the next. That way he stays close enough for Trump not to attack him but separate enough that he can be a sort of anti-Trump hero to the media.

Trump obviously handles things best when people go right at him and then he can attack them back. Fauci goes about his anti-Trump maneuvering much more cleverly than others and has actually been the best foil to Trump to date. The problems for Fauci now are that a) the virus seems to be receding quite substantially, b) Dr. Risch at Yale is not backing down on the HCQ issue, and c) (most importantly) Dr. Scott Atlas of Stanford, an anti-lockdown doctor, is now on the White House task force and it will be much harder for Fauci to boss everyone around with Atlas on the team as a competing figure.

Regarding HCQ, I think it is mainly a money issue for Fauci and his friends/allies in the medical world. HCQ is simply too cheap to allow it to be used widely when public fear can be exploited for massive profits with a new trendy vaccine or treatment.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
As @Jelenafan mentioned - it's only really the swing states that matter. Florida is going to be the big one, and it'll be close.

If it is close, then I'm not sure either of the losing parties will necessarily concede officially. Clinton has been telling Biden not to concede, and I very much doubt Trump will.
Perhaps, perhaps. I didn't get any theme from the first night. Any reason why Trump should be given another term. This isn't about supporting Biden's case, I just didn't get any argument from the RNC about why voters should support them. It was weird. One of my criticisms of HRC in 16 was that her argument seemed to be "vote for me because Trump is a bad guy". At least then Trump could argue that he would defend America against the swamp in Washington. He can't say that now. Any bad thing happening now is his responsibility. At the very least I thought he would come up with an argument for his continuation. There was nothing

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the theme for all 4 nights is trump and how wonderful he says he is..and eveyone else who speaks will agree with this synopsis.

so whatever you heard on day 1 will be what you hear on days 2 3 and 4..

all hail ming..erm i mean president trump.

Reactions: Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well if you are suggesting that Fauci has promoted the Covid hype partially to take down Trump, I think that is very clear. He is closely connected to numerous leading Democrats, including Pelosi. He has lived for 40 years in the D.C. world that is heavily controlled by Democrats. And, in a way, he is the perfect foil to Trump because he plays both sides with Trump, being agreeable one minute toward him with compliments and then undermining him with contrary public statements the next. That way he stays close enough for Trump not to attack him but separate enough that he can be a sort of anti-Trump hero to the media.

Trump obviously handles things best when people go right at him and then he can attack them back. Fauci goes about his anti-Trump maneuvering much more cleverly than others and has actually been the best foil to Trump to date. The problems for Fauci now are that a) the virus seems to be receding quite substantially, b) Dr. Risch at Yale is not backing down on the HCQ issue, and c) (most importantly) Dr. Scott Atlas of Stanford, an anti-lockdown doctor, is now on the White House task force and it will be much harder for Fauci to boss everyone around with Atlas on the team as a competing figure.

Regarding HCQ, I think it is mainly a money issue for Fauci and his friends/allies in the medical world. HCQ is simply too cheap to allow it to be used widely when public fear can be exploited for massive profits with a new trendy vaccine or treatment.

I don't doubt for a minute Fauci doesn't like Trump. He's a big fan of HRC.

Still, I suspect what's going on is something on a bigger scale than simply Trump. It looks like a western plan to vaccinate the world.

I use the term "vaccinate" loosely, because it might be a biometric id, or ultimately lead to one further down the track. I doubt what we are seeing is a reaction to COVID, more likely to be something that was already decided. i.e. The Great Reset. Don't delay getting acquainted with it.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I know how much you dislike HRC, but does that necessarily mean that he dislikes Trump, because he likes Hillary, and, in this circumstance, wishes her good health? If he doesn't like Trump, wouldn't you think there could be a reason beyond simply liking Hillary? Be honest: why do you think he doesn't like Trump, if in fact he doesn't? Do you really think that Fauci can't do his job without politics/personal feelings intervening? He's been doing it for a long time, across a lot of administrations. He's also shown that he's able to modify his position to reflect circumstances, as in the AIDS pandemic. Realistically, between him and Trump, who's the inflexible one?
Still, I suspect what's going on is something on a bigger scale than simply Trump. It looks like a western plan to vaccinate the world.

I use the term "vaccinate" loosely, because it might be a biometric id, or ultimately lead to one further down the track. I doubt what we are seeing is a reaction to COVID, more likely to be something that was already decided. i.e. The Great Reset. Don't delay getting acquainted with it.

I don't know what The Great Reset is, but are you really so fearful of a vaccine? "A Western plan to vaccinate the world?" They're going to stick a chip in us, or what? What about the simple notion of finding a vaccine to keep us safe from this particularly contagious virus, in the same way that we take one against measles or polio? I thought you were initially on board with understanding that this was an actual pandemic. If you do believe there is one, what made you so averse to the "cure," (to the extent that a vaccine can be?)

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Do you really think that Fauci can't do his job without politics/personal feelings intervening?

Yes, he's a piece of shit, and if you read anything other than media that shill for the establishment at every turn, you would know this. His constant vacillating and doubletalk - masks are bad one minute, then good the next, then "I don't have to wear one at the Nationals game even though I'm 79 years old," then solemnly saying "everyone needs to be wearing masks" the next day - show that he is a self-aggrandizing socialite more than an "infectious disease expert."

And his personal attacks on Dr. Risch at Yale in recent weeks - who is presenting strong scientific arguments in favor of hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) - show, definitively, what a piece of shit Fauci is. His attacks on Risch have been despicable.

Why don't you just admit that your stupid party has been utterly stupid in turning Fauci into a cult figure, when in reality he isn't a serious scientist but is simply a goofball socialite and clown milking the media spotlight while millions suffer from the lockdowns and his irrational, unscientific attacks on HCQ? The few people affected by the Wuhan Nursing Home Virus need HCQ to overcome it and Dr. Fuckhead Fauci won't let them use it.

He's also shown that he's able to modify his position to reflect circumstances, as in the AIDS pandemic.

Oh really? Is that why the Huffington Post said this about Fuckhead Fauci in 2014?

"Dr. Anthony Fauci is rewriting history. He is doing so to disguise his shameful role in delaying promotion of an AIDS treatment that would have prevented tens of thousands of deaths in the first years of the epidemic."

He's a clown. Just admit that Fauci and your stupid party have cost tens of thousands of American lives by suppressing the use of hydroxychloroquine, which most countries in the world have used to great effect against the Wuhan nursing home virus.

Realistically, between him and Trump, who's the inflexible one?

You and Fauci are the inflexible ones. You insist - no matter the evidence on any issue - that Trump is always doing the wrong thing, even when he has a rousing success such as the Israel-UAE deal that Obama was too incompetent, too lazy, and too contemptuous of detail to ever pull off. And Fauci is insisting against all evidence and science that hydroxychloroquine is not effective against "covid."

I think Fauci is upset that Risch is owning him in the HCQ debate the way that Djokovic owned Nadal in the 2019 Australian Open final.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You may not buy that Trump and his campaign colluded with the Russians, or willfully, but you really can't deny that they fiddle with our elections,

Yes you can, you're full of shit. Not only is Britbox right that there is no evidence that Trump "colluded" with the Russians in the 2016 election, but he is actually understating the case. There is also no evidence that the Russians (i.e. the supposedly malevolent Russian government) "fiddled" with our elections. None. Nada. (And Republicans have been pathetic for not pointing that out.)

And if you want proof, we can turn right to your two favorite newspapers, the Washington Compost and the New Slavetrader Times. They both acknowledged implicitly when they looked at the hard details that there was no evidence that the Russians "meddled," "fiddled," "interfered," or "hacked" - or whatever word you want to choose - "American democracy." Allow me to cite Aaron Mate of The Nation here:

Then there is Facebook’s disclosure that fake accounts “likely operated out of Russia” paid $100,000 for 3,000 ads starting in June 2015. The New York Times editorial board described it as “further evidence of what amounted to unprecedented foreign invasion of American democracy.” A $100,000 Facebook ad buy seems unlikely to have had much impact in a $6.8 billion election. According to Facebook, “the vast majority of ads…didn’t specifically reference the US presidential election, voting or a particular candidate” but rather focused “on amplifying divisive social and political messages across the ideological spectrum—touching on topics from LGBT matters to race issues to immigration to gun rights.” Facebook also says the majority of ads, 56 percent, were seen “after the election.” The ads have not been released publicly. But by all indications, if they were used to try to elect Trump, their sponsors took a very curious route.

The ads are commonly described as “Russian disinformation,” but in the most extensive reporting on the story to date, The Washington Post adds multiple qualifiers in noting that the ads “appear to have come from accounts associated with the Internet Research Agency,” itself a Kremlin-linked firm (emphasis added).

The Post also reveals that an initial Facebook review of the suspected Russian accounts found that they “had clear financial motives, which suggested that they weren’t working for a foreign government.” Furthermore, “the security team did not find clear evidence of Russian disinformation or ad purchases by Russian-linked accounts.”

Russiagate Is More Fiction Than Fact
From accusations of Trump campaign collusion to Russian Facebook ad buys, the media has substituted hype for evidence.
By Aaron Maté

OCTOBER 6, 2017

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes, he's a piece of shit, and if you read anything other than media that shill for the establishment at every turn, you would know this. His constant vacillating and doubletalk - masks are bad one minute, then good the next, then "I don't have to wear one at the Nationals game even though I'm 79 years old," then solemnly saying "everyone needs to be wearing masks" the next day - show that he is a self-aggrandizing socialite more than an "infectious disease expert."

And his personal attacks on Dr. Risch at Yale in recent weeks - who is presenting strong scientific arguments in favor of hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) - show, definitively, what a piece of shit Fauci is. His attacks on Risch have been despicable.

Why don't you just admit that your stupid party has been utterly stupid in turning Fauci into a cult figure, when in reality he isn't a serious scientist but is simply a goofball socialite and clown milking the media spotlight while millions suffer from the lockdowns and his irrational, unscientific attacks on HCQ? The few people affected by the Wuhan Nursing Home Virus need HCQ to overcome it and Dr. Fuckhead Fauci won't let them use it.

Wow, someone is upset that this isn't going the way he'd hoped.
Oh really? Is that why the Huffington Post said this about Fuckhead Fauci in 2014?

"Dr. Anthony Fauci is rewriting history. He is doing so to disguise his shameful role in delaying promotion of an AIDS treatment that would have prevented tens of thousands of deaths in the first years of the epidemic."

He's a clown. Just admit that Fauci and your stupid party have cost tens of thousands of American lives by suppressing the use of hydroxychloroquine, which most countries in the world have used to great effect against the Wuhan nursing home virus.

Now you're reduced to quoting the Huffington Post? Even I don't consider them an actual news source anymore, though they tried for a brief moment. Fauci has been upfront about how long it took him to come around on AIDS, and his relationship with Larry Kramer on the whole thing is well-documented, including in one of Kramer's plays.

Back to HQC...and now it's the "Wuhan nursing home virus?" Jesus, you are getting desperate. No one is suppressing HQC. It's just not leading the parade in things that ARE working, or is failing to make the grade. Studies are being done (see below).
You and Fauci are the inflexible ones. You insist - no matter the evidence on any issue - that Trump is always doing the wrong thing, even when he has a rousing success such as the Israel-UAE deal that Obama was too incompetent, too lazy, and too contemptuous of detail to ever pull off. And Fauci is insisting against all evidence and science that hydroxychloroquine is not effective against "covid."

I think Fauci is upset that Risch is owning him in the HCQ debate the way that Djokovic owned Nadal in the 2019 Australian Open final.

This has nothing to do with the...yes...historic agreement between the UAE and Israel. Can you stop polluting your own arguments for once? Despite what you think, Fauci and I aren't a thing. We barely even socialize. Meanwhile...

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions

mate what's happened to you? In the past you used to flirt with the fringes every now and then but it seems like you're starting to really immerse yourself in it. Is this lockdown related?

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
mate what's happened to you? In the past you used to flirt with the fringes every now and then but it seems like you're starting to really immerse yourself in it. Is this lockdown related?
This goes far beyond the presidential election mate. Make the time to look at what is going on in the world. There is a hell of lot happening.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
This goes far beyond the presidential election mate. Make the time to look at what is going on in the world. There is a hell of lot happening.
it's my job to look at what's going on in the world. The US election is a small part of that, more of a hobby, but with geopolitical implications. I'm well aware that there's a hell of a lot happening. No utility for me transacting in conspiracies, there's no money in it...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mrzz World Affairs 2449
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 46