US Politics Thread

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My favourite Dem candidate would be Tulsi... but she'll fall way short of winning the Dem nomination. I agree that Biden is toast, and he's not exactly inspirational by any measure. Warren has some positives but she will be chewed apart by Trump.

IMO, The only person who could give Trump a run for his money in a campaign is Sanders. But there would have to a major pragmatic shift from him toward the centre ground for there to be a chance.

My guess at this point is that Trump wins a second term.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My favourite Dem candidate would be Tulsi...

She's not really a Democrat though.....she just has that fuzzy-wuzzy approach to foreign policy (which I substantively agree with) that gets the hopes up of anti-war people, which makes her stand out. Ron Paul was a similar kind of candidate.

Warren has some positives but she will be chewed apart by Trump.

She is also a complete fraud who lied about being a Native American for decades in order to further her career. The Boston radio host Howie Carr has talked about this issue and he is exactly right that someone with degrees from the University of Rutgers and Houston - even though those are two solid middle-class-type schools - don't typically get admitted to Harvard Law or get to teach there. Warren only made it because she pretended to be a Native American.

IMO, The only person who could give Trump a run for his money in a campaign is Sanders. But there would have to a major pragmatic shift from him toward the centre ground for there to be a chance.

I agree that Sanders could challenge him but I have always said that the Democrats' best candidate would be Kamala Harris. The Obamas would get behind her and she would draw in numerous factions of the Democratic Party that need to turn out in large numbers.

My guess at this point is that Trump wins a second term.

He has his work cut out for him because virtually the entire establishment is still against him.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Biden is toast, I wouldn't be surprised if the black vote that's sustaining him starts to move away now. His soft corruption while not illegal is exactly what pisses off middle America, it's HRC all over again, I can't imagine these older black voters will like that at all

As an American I find it encouraging - after reading the posts of Federberg and B-Shitboi - that there are non-Americans even more clueless than Americans on the political left. It lends credence to the idea that maybe, just maybe, America truly is the greatest nation on earth.

Now it is possible that Joe "poor kids are just as smart as white kids" Biden will lose black support, but why the hell would it be because they have a problem with his corruption in Ukraine and China?

Hillary Clinton was vastly more corrupt - with the Clinton Foundation amounting to a vast money laundering and white collar crime scheme - yet the black vote is what got her the nomination over Bernie Sanders in 2016. So why exactly would black voters be turned off by Biden's minor corruption by comparison? They could not care less.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think this is overly simplistic. (And I know you said you're not up to speed.) I think the impeachment proceedings, (he's not impeached yet,) will be seen as part of the process by the vast majority.

Why of course Moxie. Reasonable people across the political spectrum can see what a travesty it is that Donald Trump asked the Ukrainian president about a Hillary Clinton-appointed IT firm that hid the DNC server from the FBI. They can also see what a travesty it is that Trump asked that the Ukrainian president to look into a blatant case of bribery involving the Bidens in Ukraine in which Biden's son - recently expelled from the Navy for cocaine use - got $83,000 per month sitting on the board of a Ukrainian energy company after having zero experience in the oil and gas industries.

You're right, all reasonable people can agree that Trump simply crossed the line by asking the Ukrainian president about those matters.

The poll numbers on support for impeachment hearings have swung 20 points since last Thursday.

According to news agencies populated by people who, like you, want to see Trump impeached because his policies and words violate the precepts of your sacred social agenda.

Trump has been pushing propriety and law for his whole Presidency, and before, and he may have finally pushed it too far.

Yeah, Trump has been out-of-control and lawless. All he did during the pointless and stupid Mueller probe was comply with (according to NBC News, which hates Trump) 2,800 subpoenas while the Mueller "team" executed 500 search warrants and interviewed about 500 witnesses - all in an effort to take down Trump.

But Trump was so lawless that entire time because he tweeted completely rational objections to the worthless, pointless investigation. Sure.

Pelosi has proceeded with caution so as not to be seen as doing out of partisanship, however the Republicans try to spin it. If the House can keep it, to the extend possible, as a pure procedural process, it need not taint the eventual Democratic candidate over much.

Probably not, because most Democratic voters are clueless.

Beyond the solid base for Trump, which holds at around 30%, there is a clear middle ground that is shifting against him, on this latest.

According to news agencies that all said he had no "path to 270" in 2016 and which want to see him impeached now.

A lot rides on how Pelosi steers it, but she's clearly the smartest politician in Washington, right now.

Of course, she is a modern woman in the Democratic Party. Who could possibly be smarter than she is?

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
She's not really a Democrat though.....she just has that fuzzy-wuzzy approach to foreign policy (which I substantively agree with) that gets the hopes up of anti-war people, which makes her stand out. Ron Paul was a similar kind of candidate.

She is also a complete fraud who lied about being a Native American for decades in order to further her career. The Boston radio host Howie Carr has talked about this issue and he is exactly right that someone with degrees from the University of Rutgers and Houston - even though those are two solid middle-class-type schools - don't typically get admitted to Harvard Law or get to teach there. Warren only made it because she pretended to be a Native American.

I agree that Sanders could challenge him but I have always said that the Democrats' best candidate would be Kamala Harris. The Obamas would get behind her and she would draw in numerous factions of the Democratic Party that need to turn out in large numbers.

He has his work cut out for him because virtually the entire establishment is still against him.

I don't know enough about Kamala yet to offer an opinion. Tulsi is smart, has a solid background and comes across as authentic. Nowhere near left wing enough for a Dem nomination as it stands at present.

I was impressed by some of Warren's hearings with the Wall Street mob... but agree, this Lieawatha issue will sink her. I doubt she navigates the process without being nailed to the mast on the new Dem fad - cultural appropriation. She won't win the candidacy. If she did, Trump would chew her apart over the same issue.

Sanders has some gravitas, can hold an audience and is authentic. I think he is the Dems best shot, but as I said, I don't know enough about Kamala right now.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't know enough about Kamala yet to offer an opinion. Tulsi is smart, has a solid background and comes across as authentic. Nowhere near left wing enough for a Dem nomination as it stands at present.

I was impressed by some of Warren's hearings with the Wall Street mob... but agree, this Lieawatha issue will sink her. I doubt she navigates the process without being nailed to the mast on the new Dem fad - cultural appropriation. She won't win the candidacy. If she did, Trump would chew her apart over the same issue.

Sanders has some gravitas, can hold an audience and is authentic. I think he is the Dems best shot, but as I said, I don't know enough about Kamala right now.

Harris's problem is that she tends to overreach with whatever is fashionable (like thoughtlessly saying she is for changing the food pyramid or banning plastic straws) but she is the perfect candidate for this moment. I'm afraid though that most Democrats are too stupid to realize that.

She would be the first woman president, she would turn out minority voters, she would excite airheaded white women with college degrees (e.g. Moxie), and she would make outlandish economic populist promises (such as Medicare-for-all) to excite the so-called "progressives." Plus she would be able to slick talk against Trump on Twitter and in bantering exchanges.

I don't agree with her policies or opinions at all but she is clearly the Democrats' best candidate. The problem is that Democratic voters and operatives are too stupid to realize that, which makes sense given that they are stupid on everything else.

tented

Administrator
Reactions

I picked Harris back in April, and still think she would be the best choice. At some point, blacks are going to ditch Biden and get behind Harris, which will put her in a unique position among the Democratic candidates. The Obamas would campaign for her relentlessly. I still think Buttigieg is incredibly intelligent and thoughtful, but I don’t think the US is ready to support an openly-gay candidate, even as VP. I’m not sure who Harris should pick as a running mate, but for tactical purposes, it should be a white man, hopefully from a Red/Purple, non-coastal state.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
As an American I find it encouraging - after reading the posts of Federberg and B-Shitboi - that there are non-Americans even more clueless than Americans on the political left. It lends credence to the idea that maybe, just maybe, America truly is the greatest nation on earth.

Now it is possible that Joe "poor kids are just as smart as white kids" Biden will lose black support, but why the hell would it be because they have a problem with his corruption in Ukraine and China?

Hillary Clinton was vastly more corrupt - with the Clinton Foundation amounting to a vast money laundering and white collar crime scheme - yet the black vote is what got her the nomination over Bernie Sanders in 2016. So why exactly would black voters be turned off by Biden's minor corruption by comparison? They could not care less.
because dumbass.... black voters are clearly trying to identify the candidate that has the highest chance of beating Trump. If they suddenly think that Biden is tainted and likely to be a victim of whataboutism he loses the edge he had previously. HRC is likely the very standard they use to question his viability now. This would be comprehensible to you if you were capable of anything more subtle that one dimensional thinking :D

Reactions: Moxie

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I picked Harris back in April, and still think she would be the best choice. At some point, blacks are going to ditch Biden and get behind Harris, which will put her in a unique position among the Democratic candidates. The Obamas would campaign for her relentlessly. I still think Buttigieg is incredibly intelligent and thoughtful, but I don’t think the US is ready to support an openly-gay candidate, even as VP. I’m not sure who Harris should pick as a running mate, but for tactical purposes, it should be a white man, hopefully from a Red/Purple, non-coastal state.
she has been a spectacular disappointment to me. I really thought she was the one, but her performances have been so.... uninspiring recently. I didn't like the way she couldn't find an answer to Tulsi's attack. Something that should have been obvious and she fully deserved the questioning. If Kamala gets her shit together she might still have a chance. But all of a sudden I'm starting to entertain the thought that Trump isn't the Republican ticket. If the Dems have to go up against someone like Nikki Haley they'll probably lose

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The Obamas would campaign for her relentlessly.

Yes, that is another reason I think she is the best candidate. Obama is viewed as a god by many people in America and he and Michelle seem to have a special affinity for Harris.

I still think Buttigieg is incredibly intelligent and thoughtful, but I don’t think the US is ready to support an openly-gay candidate, even as VP.

I have to disagree that Buttigieg is incredibly intelligent. He strikes me as quite cliché and dowdy. And blacks in South Bend cannot stand him, nor can blacks nationally.

Buttigieg is probably the whitest candidate in the field. He has the aesthetic of a 17th century farmer and talks like a clergyman from colonial New England (except slower).

I’m not sure who Harris should pick as a running mate, but for tactical purposes, it should be a white man, hopefully from a Red/Purple, non-coastal state.

Agreed. That would have to be a guy like Tim Ryan or Delaney who could help beat Trump in a Midwestern state, but I'm not sure the Democratic base would be happy with such a choice.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
because dumbass.... black voters are clearly trying to identify the candidate that has the highest chance of beating Trump. If they suddenly think that Biden is tainted and likely to be a victim of whataboutism he loses the edge he had previously.

Yes Federberg, they are exactly like you and they think just like you do. Exactly. They care about the same things you do because you're a super-good person as well as a shrewd political observer. :lulz1:

I have to admit it is hilarious to see an effeminate Brit with numerous PC attitudes comment on the political psychology of American blacks. It is frankly hilarious.

HRC is likely the very standard they use to question his viability now.

There is no indication whatsoever that black voters cared about Hillary's corruption at any point, including after Trump won. That is not what motivates them as a voting bloc. For you to think that shows just how profoundly clueless you are.

This would be comprehensible to you if you were capable of anything more subtle that one dimensional thinking :D

Interesting because that appears to be exactly your problem.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
There is no indication whatsoever that black voters cared about Hillary's corruption at any point, including after Trump won. That is not what motivates them as a voting bloc. For you to think that shows just how profoundly clueless you are.
you really lack intelligence, but what I like about you is the fact that you're not afraid to show it. Let me try to explain my slow witted friend.... HRC is a template not because they supported her, but because Biden is in danger of being associated with the sort of soft Washington corruption that she was tarred with. My contention is not that blacks supported her with passion. No. It's that older blacks as a voting bloc seem to be focussed on trying to pick the Dem candidate that they think has the greatest chance of beating Trump. That's the reason for Biden's popularity with them right now. If it seems that he's becoming HRC-lite they'll dump him. Is that clear enough for you now? ;)

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I had Harris on my short list, also. I definitely think that Biden is only riding name recognition. He's not a great candidate. I'm sort of between you and Federberg, in terms of my disappointment with Harris in the last debates. I think Warren clearly won them all. And, as to your VP choice for Harris, if it comes to that, you're pretty much describing Beto. I thought Castro shot himself a bit in the foot in the last debate, as a VP choice, with his attack on Biden, but we shall see.
she has been a spectacular disappointment to me. I really thought she was the one, but her performances have been so.... uninspiring recently. I didn't like the way she couldn't find an answer to Tulsi's attack. Something that should have been obvious and she fully deserved the questioning. If Kamala gets her shit together she might still have a chance. But all of a sudden I'm starting to entertain the thought that Trump isn't the Republican ticket. If the Dems have to go up against someone like Nikki Haley they'll probably lose

Interesting that you're already entertaining the thought experiment that the Republicans don't go with the incumbent. Nikki Haley is pretty well liked and respected, but I wouldn't go that far. I also think that you and BB are wrong on Warren.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Wow, Nikki Haley. I like to follow UN Security Council meetings (they are streamed live), and boy she was incompetent. No wonder the US lost basically all possible diplomatic battles. At one meeting you could clearly see that she really thought that one could behave in those meetings like you behave in social media... I would love to see her as US president. My American friends, on the other side...

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Wow, Nikki Haley. I like to follow UN Security Council meetings (they are streamed live), and boy she was incompetent. No wonder the US lost basically all possible diplomatic battles. At one meeting you could clearly see that she really thought that one could behave in those meetings like you behave in social media... I would love to see her as US president. My American friends, on the other side...
Lol! She was a Republican UN Ambassador, her mandate was never about showing diplomatic competence. I think you missed the point.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I had Harris on my short list, also. I definitely think that Biden is only riding name recognition. He's not a great candidate. I'm sort of between you and Federberg, in terms of my disappointment with Harris in the last debates. I think Warren clearly won them all. And, as to your VP choice for Harris, if it comes to that, you're pretty much describing Beto. I thought Castro shot himself a bit in the foot in the last debate, as a VP choice, with his attack on Biden, but we shall see.

Interesting that you're already entertaining the thought experiment that the Republicans don't go with the incumbent. Nikki Haley is pretty well liked and respected, but I wouldn't go that far. I also think that you and BB are wrong on Warren.
I hope I’m wrong about her. I really like the purity of her message. I’m just not sure America is ready for her. Particularly her brand of universal health care and her wealth tax

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
HRC is a template not because they supported her, but because Biden is in danger of being associated with the sort of soft Washington corruption that she was tarred with.

Lol.....in all seriousness, have you once had a political conversation with an American black person in your entire life? Just one time? I am curious to know.

Black Americans did not give a damn, not even a tiny little damn, about Hillary's corruption. If they had cared, then Bernie would have won the 2016 nomination going away. Blacks were the main demographic to kill Bernie's candidacy because he was trouncing Hillary until the primaries went to the South where the black population in the United States is largest.

Blacks killed Bernie Sanders' presidential run in 2016 and saved Hillary's bacon (offensive reference to vegan sensibilities fully intended). But as far as your perception of how black Americans think about politics, you could not be more off-base or clueless. You have no idea what you're talking about.

My contention is not that blacks supported her with passion. No.

They did actually, idiot. Yes. They did. They did not have the same intense passion as they did for Obama (which is understandable given his status as "first black president"), but they were still very passionate for Hillary.

It's that older blacks as a voting bloc seem to be focussed on trying to pick the Dem candidate that they think has the greatest chance of beating Trump.

Nope, you're just projecting how you think about politics on to minorities without even paying attention to what they actually think or say. Just classic presumptuous white left-wing stupidity. Putting words in the mouths of minorities before you even listen to what they say in order to fit your narrative.

That's the reason for Biden's popularity with them right now. If it seems that he's becoming HRC-lite they'll dump him. Is that clear enough for you now? ;)

Yes, it is clear that you are absolutely clueless and have not even spoken to a single black American in your life about political issues. That is 100% clear, yes.

Biden is popular among blacks because of three things: 1) his association with Obama, 2) his celebrity, and 3) the rest of the candidates being some of the dorkiest, most temperamentally lame people you are ever going to see (e.g. Buttigieg and Warren - two of the nerdiest white dorks in American history).

So let me repeat: you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. None. You are another white so-called liberal with zero understanding of minorities.

Elizabeth Warren - who you and Moxie are going ga-ga over - is the ultimate white left-wing nerd candidate.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I hope I’m wrong about her. I really like the purity of her message. I’m just not sure America is ready for her. Particularly her brand of universal health care and her wealth tax

I agree.....America is not far along enough to accept a 1/1,024th "Native American" with a plan to send the American healthcare system into even more of a tailspin. You're right.

But it does appear that Warren is duping enough people into believing her silly economic fallacies just as successfully as she convinced Harvard that she was a Cherokee.

Last edited:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Lol.....in all seriousness, have you once had a political conversation with an American black person in your entire life? Just one time? I am curious to know.

Black Americans did not give a damn, not even a tiny little damn, about Hillary's corruption. If they had cared, then Bernie would have won the 2016 nomination going away. Blacks were the main demographic to kill Bernie's candidacy because he was trouncing Hillary until the primaries went to the South where the black population in the United States is largest.

Blacks killed Bernie Sanders' presidential run in 2016 and saved Hillary's bacon (offensive reference to vegan sensibilities fully intended). But as far as your perception of how black Americans think about politics, you could not be more off-base or clueless. You have no idea what you're talking about.

They did actually, idiot. Yes. They did. They did not have the same intense passion as they did for Obama (which is understandable given his status as "first black president"), but they were still very passionate for Hillary.

Nope, you're just projecting how you think about politics on to minorities without even paying attention to what they actually think or say. Just classic presumptuous white left-wing stupidity. Putting words in the mouths of minorities before you even listen to what they say in order to fit your narrative.

Yes, it is clear that you are absolutely clueless and have not even spoken to a single black American in your life about political issues. That is 100% clear, yes.

Biden is popular among blacks because of three things: 1) his association with Obama, 2) his celebrity, and 3) the rest of the candidates being some of the dorkiest, most temperamentally lame people you are ever going to see (e.g. Buttigieg and Warren - two of the nerdiest white dorks in American history).

So let me repeat: you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. None. You are another white so-called liberal with zero understanding of minorities.

Elizabeth Warren - who you and Moxie are going ga-ga over - is the ultimate white left-wing nerd candidate.
I'm not even going to insult you on this one. I have a feeling that everyone else who has read our conversation gets the point that I was making. It would be cruel of me to rub it in excessively ;) I can only suggest you read thru my point again... maybe ask your mummy or daddy to explain it to you. You'll get it eventually..

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm not even going to insult you on this one. I have a feeling that everyone else who has read our conversation gets the point that I was making. It would be cruel of me to rub it in excessively ;) I can only suggest you read thru my point again... maybe ask your mummy or daddy to explain it to you. You'll get it eventually..

Lol.....you know absolutely nothing about American politics. You should stop trying to understand it and just focus on tennis and your stocks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mrzz World Affairs 2449
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 46