US Politics Thread

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yup. It's been fascinating to watch how various actors... MSNBC hosts, Megan McCain, NYT journalists have gone for her with a vengeance. Check out this clip...

It really pisses me off. I agree with her completely that it's monumentally dumb to talk regime change in Syria after the lessons of Iraq and Libya. How dumb do you have to be not to get it. And then you realise... these guys get it. The conflict and bad aftermath are exactly what you want, and that's the scariest thing of fall.

By the way... I was a fan of Kamala Harris, but not only did I find her inability to take a hit disappointing. Her towing the military industrial complex line that Tulsi is a schill for Assad extremely off putting. I found that along with her lack of core conviction on healthcare disqualifying. There's a bit of BoJo about her constant flipping, it makes me want to vomit..

I like Tulsi, she's got more depth than a lot of her peers.

Just watched quite an interesting interview with Piers Morgan by Ben Shapiro. Morgan is a bit of a marmite figure, but he talks a lot of sense - particularly about the lame level of discourse in modern-day politics.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Wow...I thought Morgan would be the LAST guy Ben would have on the show, with their history. Actually kudos to both for doing this. I haven't listened to this yet but THIS is what is needed. People with totally different ideas in certain issues should just sit down and hash it out , as opposed to try to ban speech. I am impressed with Ben for doing this.

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wow...I thought Morgan would be the LAST guy Ben would have on the show, with their history. Actually kudos to both for doing this. I haven't listened to this yet but THIS is what is needed. People with totally different ideas in certain issues should just sit down and hash it out , as opposed to try to ban speech. I am impressed with Ben for doing this.

It's well worth a watch. Piers talks a lot of sense.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It's not often that Piers Morgan is on a show and he's not the biggest tool. You'd have to pay me to listen to anything involving Shapiro.

For his part, Piers is hit and miss (though when he misses, it's by a lot), so I'm not surprised that he talked some sense. He's occasionally capable of it.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Only Trump could make me take John Bolton’s side. Wow! :facepalm:

Last edited:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Only Trump could make stake John Bolton’s side. Wow! :facepalm:

DT has not been in office for three full years yet. But, he has already fired three different NSAs (although I like this firing and the first firing).

We are at a sad state of affairs right now in the word, with governments of USA and UK (who used to strong leaders in the world) trying to outdo each other in how low they can go in conducting themselves.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Personally, I think Pelosi's slow-moving, cautious approach will prove to have been wise. Trump called the President of Ukraine the day after Mueller testified to Congress, which presumes that he felt free and clear to proceed as before. She's trying to wait him out to let him hang himself by his own petard.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I really dislike Trump but is this move giving him or the next Republican candidate the next election in a platter or what...Just curious.
I think this is why Pelosi has moved so slowly. Congress can't really cower in the face of so much violation by Trump. He's got a solid base, but it's only about 30%. The middle portion of the electorate will start to see what he's been up to, and start to be appalled. Or hopefully so. But Pelosi and Congress has to also embrace the important fight, which is not just knuckling under to Trump. Either way, they can't just make it all about political calculation. And some point, you have to stand up to this kind of outrageous behavior.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It’s a fine line.

Trump’s base will think it’s all a left wing conspiracy regardless.

The left wing will say it was way overdue.

However a middle spread of voters seem wary of impeachment proceedings because they smack of partisan politicking ( see Clinton’s case). The inclination is to give the POTUS the benefit of the doubt. So a case has to be well defined and the evidence has to be something understood in layman’s terms.

I think that is party responsible for Pelosi’s “caution.”

Reactions: Moxie

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Can anyone seriously argue that this isn't impeachable. The transcript he's released damns him completely. It's amazing that he thinks it's exculpatory. It's going to be fascinating to see how this evolves. To my mind this one is so clear cut. Everyone's seen movies like Godfather and Goodfellas. The implicit threat is obvious

Reactions: Moxie

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
And to be clear there’s no doubt that Hunter Biden is clearly a swamp creature. But Trump is taking the Michael if he wants people to look at Biden with disfavour considering his emoluments issues and all the stuff his kids and son in law have been able to get up to. Let all the info on the corruption come out I reckon

tented

Administrator
Reactions
And to be clear there’s no doubt that Hunter Biden is clearly a swamp creature. But Trump is taking the Michael if he wants people to look at Biden with disfavour considering his emoluments issues and all the stuff his kids and son in law have been able to get up to. Let all the info on the corruption come out I reckon

“Taking the Michael” — I had to look up that one. Thankfully that’s not my name.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mrzz World Affairs 2449
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 46