US Politics Thread

tented

Administrator
Reactions
This is UK politics but it's pertinent to the discussion the two of you are having. Does this remind you of anyone? And btw @britbox this is the former editor of the Telegraph, so don't waste time talking about the paper that published it :D

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ris-johnson-prime-minister-tory-party-britain

Wow, practically separated at birth, it would seem.

It can’t be a coincidence that such personalities have risen to the top in the last few years. Are we seeing the effects of social media? The acceleration of fame-thirsty egos, who aren’t satisfied with just 15 minutes of fame?

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is UK politics but it's pertinent to the discussion the two of you are having. Does this remind you of anyone? And btw @britbox this is the former editor of the Telegraph, so don't waste time talking about the paper that published it :D

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ris-johnson-prime-minister-tory-party-britain

No mate, I don't think Boris equates to Trump. Trump wouldn't last 5 minutes in UK politics. I'm not a fan of Boris either but the Hastings view isn't anything new - he's been saying it for years - it's just getting regurgitated 24/7 at the moment for obvious reasons.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
At the risk of lowering the level of discourse, I offer this from Bill Maher on his choice. At least, @britbox, you can't accuse me of being too PC.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
No mate, I don't think Boris equates to Trump. Trump wouldn't last 5 minutes in UK politics. I'm not a fan of Boris either but the Hastings view isn't anything new - he's been saying it for years - it's just getting regurgitated 24/7 at the moment for obvious reasons.
Didn’t say he does. For one thing Boris is an order of magnitude smarter than the buffoon. But there are character similarities

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
At the risk of lowering the level of discourse, I offer this from Bill Maher on his choice. At least, @britbox, you can't accuse me of being too PC.

Oprah is an interesting choice. Successful, self-made, good communicator... the big question is would she want to put herself through it? Every last detail of her life would be under scrutiny going back years. She might just not think it's worth it.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes I watched that. I remember having an LOL moment when I heard Bill say that Oprah would..."get black polls up like a Kardashian"! :lulz1:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
On another note.. this weekend's South Bend police shooting controversy looks to have done for Mayor Pete. The black vote might just be permanently out of his reach now

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I think your problem here is who's addressing what. While I do think the Biden stuff was exaggerated, he's running to be the Democratic nominee, and Democrats care about how sensitive their candidates are to women's rights, gay rights, minority issues, and progressive choices, etc. As for Donald Trump raping that woman, yes, I do agree that this seems to be the worst allegation of sexual assault against him, however, those who will vote for him are unlikely to care. They haven't so far, and elected him after hearing that "grab 'em by the pussy" remark. There are things he has done in the context of his job as President, though, that are very harmful to the whole country, and that's what will more usefully be focused upon.
yes but what's up with the NYT. They were only too happy to put nonsense about HRC emails on the front page. Here you have a story for the ages... the sitting President of the United States has been credibly accused of rape.... in one of the iconic department stores of New York. Take a pause and digest that.... and they aren't going into a feeding frenzy? Shame on them...

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Wow, practically separated at birth, it would seem.

It can’t be a coincidence that such personalities have risen to the top in the last few years. Are we seeing the effects of social media? The acceleration of fame-thirsty egos, who aren’t satisfied with just 15 minutes of fame?
that's exactly my fear. It's too absurd otherwise. How on earth do we evolve from this? How do we regain common sense?

tented

Administrator
Reactions
On another note.. this weekend's South Bend police shooting controversy looks to have done for Mayor Pete. The black vote might just be permanently out of his reach now

Yep, he’s done. He’ll be lucky to get re-elected mayor at this point.

tented

Administrator
Reactions

I don’t think you’ve lowered the discourse. I watched Maher’s show on Friday and thought, “If electing Oprah is what is needed to get that jackass out of office, then I’m all for it.”

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes I watched that. I remember having an LOL moment when I heard Bill say that Oprah would..."get black polls up like a Kardashian"! :lulz1:
The friend who sent me that also called out that line.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
It really should be listened to. This is worse than Juanita Broaddrick folks...

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Absolutely tragic decision by the Supreme Court on gerrymandering. Of all the things that have been going wrong in US politics I at least held out hope that the most profound cancer on the system would be eliminated. The inability of these justices to look into the face of history and enforce common sense interpretations is really depressing. And it shows the limits of rigid interpretationism where the Constitution is concerned. I'm sure there are many things that aren't explicitly written into the document that all would agree are unconstitutional. Utter cowards...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
They're both terrible, if true. They're both old cases, not reported at the time. One let him come to her hotel room, one let him come into a dressing room with her. Not to blame the victim, but in a he said/she said, that's a big hurtle to get over.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
They're both terrible, if true. They're both old cases, not reported at the time. One let him come to her hotel room, one let him come into a dressing room with her. Not to blame the victim, but in a he said/she said, that's a big hurtle to get over.
I'm not debating it from a morality standpoint. Purely from chances of success. In one case the victim has at one time or another denied it. In another case there is the possibility of corroboration of some sort.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mrzz World Affairs 2449
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 46