US Politics Thread

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Yes, I realize. They are likely the same people who say "Get your government hands off my Medicare." I only call it that because it's easy. I don't expect some people to ever give Obama credit, but the point is that when people got healthcare protection, you can't put that genie back in the bottle, and they will realize that the care has been diminished, and is more expensive, so it will be an issue in the next election, and I don't think it's something that Trump handles well.

Agreed.

Who do you want to win the primary? Who should she/he pick as a running mate?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Agreed.

Who do you want to win the primary? Who should she/he pick as a running mate?
I'm trying to stay open since it's early and there are so many, but I am leaning towards Warren. Have not thought of a running mate yet. You?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm trying to stay open since it's early and there are so many, but I am leaning towards Warren. Have not thought of a running mate yet. You?
Warren with Tim Ryan as Veep for me. I love the clarity that Warren brings to the debate, and the woman knows how to campaign. I just pray she completely ignores Trump. I mean... totally ignores him. If she does that he'll look foolish. But if she reacts to him in anyway like that weak sauce Indian heritage nonsense she'll get smashed

Reactions: Moxie

tented

Administrator
Reactions

A couple of months ago I picked Harris/Buttigieg, but Harris seems to have stalled. Maybe Warren/Buttigieg, for the same reasons I paired him with Harris.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Warren with Tim Ryan as Veep for me. I love the clarity that Warren brings to the debate, and the woman knows how to campaign. I just pray she completely ignores Trump. I mean... totally ignores him. If she does that he'll look foolish. But if she reacts to him in anyway like that weak sauce Indian heritage nonsense she'll get smashed

Ay, there’s the rub — she has already shown she’s susceptible to his nonsense, by creating even more nonsense.

She’s intelligent and I love a lot of her ideas, but I’m not convinced an older, white woman (or man) is going to excite enough key demographics to beat Trump.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
A couple of months ago I picked Harris/Buttigieg, but Harris seems to have stalled. Maybe Warren/Buttigieg, for the same reasons I paired him with Harris.
as much as I like Mayor Pete, I think America needs to move in baby steps. A woman is challenge enough. Anymore than that and folks won't even take the Dems seriously sadly.

I do hear you about Warren, I just hope that she's smart enough to learn from that experience. Surely she has to know the whole DNA test thing was a colossal fail, and we didn't even need Trump to tell us

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Interesting thought about the Dem nominee ignoring Trump. I was thinking, "well, but they'll have to debate him." And then I thought, "Why?" Trump never released his tax returns. The rules have all changed. Never happen, but it's a thought.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Interesting thought about the Dem nominee ignoring Trump. I was thinking, "well, but they'll have to debate him." And then I thought, "Why?" Trump never released his tax returns. The rules have all changed. Never happen, but it's a thought.

The nominee could say, “I’ll debate Trump when he releases his tax returns.”

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
As a potential running mate, I like Beto O'Rourke, too. I know, FB, that you think he's kinda all hat and no cattle, but like Ryan, he's from an important state, and there is a lot of thinking that TX could go blue. Also, he's from the border and speaks Spanish. It could be good to have someone from the West, too. I also like Corey Booker a lot, basically as a person, but I don't know that being from NJ helps, if the candidate ends up being from the East, and I don't know if he's as well-liked outside of our area as he is in it. (But did anyone ever see the documentary "Streetfight" about the mayoral election in Newark when he beat Sharpe James, and, essentially the local political machine and corruption? It's really good.)

tented

Administrator
Reactions
as much as I like Mayor Pete, I think America needs to move in baby steps. A woman is challenge enough. Anymore than that and folks won't even take the Dems seriously sadly.

You’re right, it almost certainly wouldn’t work for various reasons.

Isn’t it pathetic that the US still hasn’t elected a woman, while the UK elected Thatcher 40 years ago?

Reactions: Federberg

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You’re right, it almost certainly wouldn’t work for various reasons.

Isn’t it pathetic that the US still hasn’t elected a woman, while the UK elected Thatcher 40 years ago?
And I'm still kinda nervous that we still won't.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

No way on earth Lieawatha gets the nomination... and I use the term because that will be her downfall. The ridicule will have a high ceiling. I don't dislike Warren - she did a great job of interrogating some of the Wall Street honchos, but if the Dems pick her as the nominee it will be like a lamb to the slaughter.

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
"Lieawatha?" Really? I think you're wrong that this very old thing would take Warren down. Firstly, she wasn't lying...she has Native American ancestry. Her problem was not what the truth was, but tripping over her own feet about the PC-ness of her choices. Trump, however, can lie six ways from Sunday, in addition to talking about grabbing women by the pussy, dog whistling at white racists, and you call out Elizabeth Warren as a "liar." I find it surprising your selection of who lies and by how much. I also have a hard time understanding your choices as to what you find acceptable, and what you find appalling and exclusionary.

Last edited:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Is the large number of presidential candidates from one party a sign that that party is likely to win in the next election? Has anyone studied this correlation?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
No way on earth Lieawatha gets the nomination... and I use the term because that will be her downfall. The ridicule will have a high ceiling. I don't dislike Warren - she did a great job of interrogating some of the Wall Street honchos, but if the Dems pick her as the nominee it will be like a lamb to the slaughter.
That has tended to be my view, but increasingly I'm wondering... what if the American people are getting tired of this kind of negative electioneering? I think it worked for Trump as a fellow candidate. It's an entirely different thing if your Presidency to date has not been full of achievement. If the economy rolls over he can call her whatever he wants he'll still lose..

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
America is officially insane. More time was spent on Biden being accused of invading people's space than has been spent on the E Jean Carroll allegations. Those allegations sound worse than anything that was ever levelled against Clinton, and frankly worse than any other allegation against Trump to date. And they seem depressingly credible as well. America what are you doing??

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...cused-rape-journalist-e-jean-carroll-alleges/

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
America is officially insane. More time was spent on Biden being accused of invading people's space than has been spent on the E Jean Carroll allegations. Those allegations sound worse than anything that was ever levelled against Clinton, and frankly worse than any other allegation against Trump to date. And they seem depressingly credible as well. America what are you doing??

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...cused-rape-journalist-e-jean-carroll-alleges/
I think your problem here is who's addressing what. While I do think the Biden stuff was exaggerated, he's running to be the Democratic nominee, and Democrats care about how sensitive their candidates are to women's rights, gay rights, minority issues, and progressive choices, etc. As for Donald Trump raping that woman, yes, I do agree that this seems to be the worst allegation of sexual assault against him, however, those who will vote for him are unlikely to care. They haven't so far, and elected him after hearing that "grab 'em by the pussy" remark. There are things he has done in the context of his job as President, though, that are very harmful to the whole country, and that's what will more usefully be focused upon.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
"Lieawatha?" Really? I think you're wrong that this very old thing would take Warren down. Firstly, she wasn't lying...she has Native American ancestry. Her problem was not what the truth was, but tripping over her own feet about the PC-ness of her choices. Trump, however, can lie six ways from Sunday, in addition to talking about grabbing women by the pussy, dog whistling at white racists, and you call out Elizabeth Warren as a "liar." I find it surprising your selection of who lies and by how much. I also have a hard time understanding your choices as to what you find acceptable, and what you find appalling and exclusionary.
You seem to be mistaking me with somebody who says Trump doesn't lie.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You seem to be mistaking me with somebody who says Trump doesn't lie.
Oh, you "say" it, but it doesn't seem to bother you as much in him as in others. Or, rather more importantly, his very egregious personal and professional behavior, especially as President, some bordering on lunatic.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mrzz World Affairs 2449
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 46