US Open 2024 [Women] - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
It did, and Jessica Pegula is through with a decisive 6-2,6-4 score against world number one Iga Swiatek. Iga, what happened ?
Iga got outplayed. It appears mental w/ her on these HC. She feels like she has to do more so instead of playing a bit of defense and building the point like she would on clay, she's forcing the issue and she's not in position so it creates a ton of errors.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Iga got outplayed. It appears mental w/ her on these HC. She feels like she has to do more so instead of playing a bit of defense and building the point like she would on clay, she's forcing the issue and she's not in position so it creates a ton of errors.
yeah but i wanted and believe Iga would win the championship BIG TIME !

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
oh well, congrats to Jessica because she has been 7 time quarterfinals in the grand slams, right, but has not advanced beyond it. She'll be the sentimental favourite to win THE TITLE.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
yeah but i wanted and believe Iga would win the championship BIG TIME !
Honestly, she got lucky in 2022. Jess wasn't ready in the QF that year, Saba hadn't fixed her serve and was still vulnerable in the SF and she played Ons (the headcase) who's afraid to win a slam final. Those same opportunities weren't afforded her this year

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Hi Vince,

Long time no see, good to see you posting, I have been at work and just finishes watch the ladies matches,
I wasnt surprised Iga was beaten Jess has been playing good HC tennis of late winning Toronto and was RU to Sabalenka at Cinncy and she is into her first SF at the USO., also the first time she has made a SF at GS level, she has beaten 'the curse" of not being able to get past QF at GS level :)
Watched Muchova's, match, both players struggled , in the 2nd set, as Karolina won the 1st set with ease, though apparently she has a "stomach bug" and had to go to the toilet asap in the 2nd set came through 61 64.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ladies Singles SFs,
Thursday September 5th,
Arthur Ashe Stadium,
Not before 7pm,

A. Sabalenka (2) vs E.Navvaro H2H 1 all

J.Pegula (6) vs K.Muchova H2H Pegula 1-0

Arthur Ashe Stadium 3pm if posters are interested
Mixed Doubles Final,

T.Townsend/D.Young v S.Errani/A.Vavassorui (3)
Donald Young was given special wild card into the USO his last professional tournament before his retirement, and it is great to see he has earned every bit of his wild card making the Mixed Doubles Final with Taylor Townsend, Taylor is also vying her for 2nd GS title. I believe that Donald Young will go and play professional Pickle Ball.

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
The Curse of the French Games lingers on

Reactions: tossip

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Iga is a weird number 1 in the sense that she has been able to hold onto that number 1 because of how wildly inconsistent the rest of the tour is. It seems like at the slams outside of RG she performs well enough to hold on to #1, but not well enough to actually win.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The Curse of the French Games lingers on
LOL! it is not curse of the French Games at all, Iga on a fast HC is not one of her best surfaces, seeing Jess is a very flat hitter of the ball, she goes straight and hard into Iga's fhand wing, Iga likes the time to have on her shots and get in position, like when she plays on clay?
Iga committed 49 UFE in that match and also her serve percentage was 36% in the 1st set? that is poor and you cannot expect to win with those numbers, Jess deserved her win, she has been playing good ball on the HCs won Toronto and was RU to Saba at Cinncy, to me I felt she was the favorite going into the match

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Woman able to reach 3+ Grand Slam SFs over the past 2 years,

Sabalenka (6)
Gauff (3)
Muchova (3)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just an additional note, as I forgot to post earlier regarding the SFs today,

Neither Pegula nor Muchova has dropped a set at this year's USO and each has defeated a GS champion along the way
It will be a game of contrasts that is certain.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Errani/Vassori d Taylor/Townsend 76(0) 75 to win the Mixed Doubles Final
Bad luck to Donald, though he had a great tournament getting to the final in his last professional tournament
Good luck in your future !
The Italian pair teaming up for their first GS title together! and also the first Italian team to win a Mixed Doubles Title in 38 years

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I understand that Renae Stubbs is kind of an expert where doubles is concerned, though she is getting way too much 'air time'
If she is not lecturing fellow commentators on what their players they coach should be/or not be doing on court and how she would fix up their faults?
I think she missed her profession in life she should have been a 'preacher' in a church, though I doubt she would have many parishioners left after her constant lecturing :)
'

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I understand that Renae Stubbs is kind of an expert where doubles is concerned, though she is getting way too much 'air time'
If she is not lecturing fellow commentators on what their players they coach should be/or not be doing on court and how she would fix up their faults?
I think she missed her profession in life she should have been a 'preacher' in a church, though I doubt she would have many parishioners left after her constant lecturing :)
'
Oh no the dreaded phone call from my hospital

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
womens semis underway now with second seeded SABALENKA leads Emma NAVARRO by winning the opening set by 6-3. Emma has the crowds on her side and was looking good for a while where she came back from 0-2 to level 2 games all. Can and will she regroup in the second set ?

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Thanks Vince
For your update of the saba v Navarro match l was called back into the hospital

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Emma tried but maybe the occasion got to her.Lets hope the Muchova and Jess match is good.At least there will be no grunting

Reactions: kskate2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Vince
Just checked my phone and saba won in straight sets
Saba was my pick from the start to win the USO
I have recorded the match and will watch when I get home

Reactions: Vince Evert

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions