US Open 2023 [Men] - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Seriously Brian is going to tell Ben to play with happy feet and he has to take control of the center of the court vs Novak..Play the total exact opposite of Taylor's lame game. (No way Paul Anncone put together that game plan)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Seriously Brian is going to tell Ben to play with happy feet and he has to take control of the center of the court vs Novak..Play the total exact opposite of Taylor's lame game. (No way Paul Anncone put together that game plan)
Is Anncone still a part of Fritz team? I only saw Russell in his box....what game plan did Fritz have by the way :)

• Haha
Reactions: shawnbm

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Shelton is the real deal. :clap:

I can see him becoming my favorite player once Nadal retires. :cool:

He actually reminds me a little bit of Nadal when he was young with the smile, charisma, no sleeves, intensity, fighting spirit, great shotmaking, fist pumps, etc. :rose:

Shelton is what tennis needs. :clap:

Shelton is the man who could bring back the millions of tennis fans who let our sport for Pickleball because of Djokovic's pushing style and unlikeable personality. :good:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Big Toe as @Kieran would say, is in all kinds of dukey. Down two sets and a break in the fourth
Don’t forget the apostrophe! The dude has earned the apostrophe. But now the Big T’oe is gone, not to be forgotten. Well he probably will be forgotten but not by everyone. And frankly, I think he did well in this tournament, he was trending downwards, but better for the event that Shelton won. Young players have an innocence about them that often makes them do things that a more experienced player such as the T’oe might hesitate over. An example being that a young player might fight harder than a lowly careerist who sees making the semi to face Djoker as being really a final and a nice way to bow out.

I don’t think Shelton will dent Novak but I think it’s the more interesting match. Novak may face the issue he faced at Wimbledon which is that he’s so used to getting patsy draws he gets stunned when he faces somebody who hits back…

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This is why I'm telling you it's not a hinderance. First of all, "too early" is not a thing. What? He grunts before the ball even leaves the other player's side of the court? No. And too late would be if he made a noise when the ball was on the other player's side of the court. I'm telling you he does neither. He plays rally balls without grunting, and he gives a heave-ho when he's going to change pace. Right before.

One thing that happened today, was that he cried "No," during a rally with Arnaldi. He thought his ball went out. Arnaldi played it, and eventually one the point. Alcaraz apologized for crying out during the point. Since Arnaldi won it, there was no hinderance. But he did apologize.

From what I saw, I don't think that Alcaraz in any way hinders with his grunting. If anything, he telegraphs the change of pace. It's just that the opponent is unlikely to be able to do anything about it.

I haven’t seen him bring the hindrance grunt during this tournament (from what I’ve seen) but he has before. I showed a clip when I brought it up, and I only brought it up because he’s done it often enough to notice, it basically consists of him adding the grunt after his shot, which effectively was a fake grunt, and therefore, a hindrance. I don’t think he does it maliciously, but it’s quite distracting…

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Quite frankly this is the Sinner situation times 10. Far worse.

Tiafoe was the heavy heavy favorite and the beast Expectations wrestled him to the ground and cut off his windpipe.

Extremely disappointing Tiafoe did nor rise up to the ocassion, opportunity needs to be greeted by execution.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Quite frankly this is the Sinner situation times 10. Far worse.

Tiafoe was the heavy heavy favorite and the beast Expectations wrestled him to the ground and cut off his windpipe.

Extremely disappointing Tiafoe did nor rise up to the ocassion, opportunity needs to be greeted by execution.
I guess I was one of the ONLY souls who NEVER bought into Frances game..not because he upset Rafa last year at the open because Rafa has lost to Fritz and McDonald last year too ..I felt that Frances game was limited especially if he is stressed he is very vulnerable. Ben isn't going to defeat Novak but he sure isn't afraid of anything including the great Serbian Slayer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I guess I was one of the ONLY souls who NEVER bought into Frances game..not because he upset Rafa last year at the open because Rafa has lost to Fritz and McDonald last year too ..I felt that Frances game was limited especially if he is stressed he is very vulnerable. Ben isn't going to defeat Novak but he sure isn't afraid of anything including the great Serbian Slayer
Count me in as another person who never brought into Frances game, he has done well able to get into the Top Ten, though seeing he could not defend his SF points he will drop out of the Top Ten, quite frankly Ben Shelton has far more upside to his game and he is more talented than Frances, yes Ben can still be erratic and his still green in area's of his game, my opinion, I never thought Frances was a 'shoe in' to win this match against Ben

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Listen, the kid Ben was playing with house money, heavy underdog whose whole season has been one big learning curve at age 19.

Not shocking that sometimes that results in someone playing relaxed and loose against his higher ranked opponent.

So even if Ben plays relatively well versus Novak, its not like he has the pressure or expectation of others of actually winning the match.

Hopefully the kid is enjoying this helluva ride, kudos! Having said that, let’s get back to Ben once he's the hunted, the expectations are on him to win a match. Then we can clearly see how fearless he really is.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Count me in as another person who never brought into Frances game, he has done well able to get into the Top Ten, though seeing he could not defend his SF points he will drop out of the Top Ten, quite frankly Ben Shelton has far more upside to his game and he is more talented than Frances, yes Ben can still be erratic and his still green in area's of his game, my opinion, I never thought Frances was a 'shoe in' to win this match against Ben
Oh in fairness I think there’s only one real Frances fan here, the rest of us like him but don’t rate him so highly. I think he’s very honest in his effort, more than a lot of players, but limited too, which isn’t due to laziness or anything. He’s a great example for kids..

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nice to see Shelton reach the SF. I suspect he'll be demolished by Novak, but one QF and one SF this year is impressive...with Tiafoe and Fritz having maxed out (imo) and Korda being rather disappointing, he might bear the burden of Hope of the Dying Empire.

Here's something to consider: Neither Tiafoe nor Fritz have ever reached more than one Slam QF in a year; Fritz has yet to reach a SF.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Nice to see Shelton reach the SF. I suspect he'll be demolished by Novak, but one QF and one SF this year is impressive...with Tiafoe and Fritz having maxed out (imo) and Korda being rather disappointing, he might bear the burden of Hope of the Dying Empire.

Here's something to consider: Neither Tiafoe nor Fritz have ever reached more than one Slam QF in a year; Fritz has yet to reach a SF.
Yeah. When you’re looking at a player to see what they’ve got, Frances more or less went away when he lost the third set tiebreak. Shelton was on fire but Frances didn’t have to heart or the fire to scrape his way back into it. Players like that don’t win slams. He deferred to his opponent quite tamely…

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Okay if we had a poll if Novak is gonna crush Ben..the numbers would be in straight sets and maybe Ben may win 9-12 games totally. We know Ben has a big serve but it's not the consistency big boom of ARod or Sampras..

So what is the mastermind of Brian Shelton going to come up with to defeat Novak's defense? Any thoughts

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yeah. When you’re looking at a player to see what they’ve got, Frances more or less went away when he lost the third set tiebreak. Shelton was on fire but Frances didn’t have to heart or the fire to scrape his way back into it. Players like that don’t win slams. He deferred to his opponent quite tamely…
I didn't watch the match, but I've felt that Tiafoe has a lot of heart, but is just maxed out talent-wise. I mean, he's a guy who has only reached #10 ATP, and #14 Elo. At 25 I don't expect him to show much more than he already has.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I didn't watch the match, but I've felt that Tiafoe has a lot of heart, but is just maxed out talent-wise. I mean, he's a guy who has only reached #10 ATP, and #14 Elo. At 25 I don't expect him to show much more than he already has.
That being said El Dude..Do you see a little of Holger Rune abilities in Ben? Trust me Ben's game is no where as mature as Holger game but he reminds me of him somewhat.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Okay if we had a poll if Novak is gonna crush Ben..the numbers would be in straight sets and maybe Ben may win 9-12 games totally. We know Ben has a big serve but it's not the consistency big boom of ARod or Sampras..

So what is the mastermind of Brian Shelton going to come up with to defeat Novak's defense? Any thoughts
I actually think a lot on this match comes down to whether Ben is able to enjoy himself as much as he did against Tiafoe. I’m not saying he’ll win - the match is on Novaks racket for so many reasons - but he can make it more thrilling and interesting, and tell us more about himself if he arrives full of beans…

Status
Not open for further replies.