US Open 2023 [Men] - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
OTOH, while I concede Zverev can serve well at his best , let's face it, his serve is one of the most unpredictable facets of his game, and it can get downright ugly in a hurry with a flurry of DF's at the drop of a hat.
It can get ugly with the serve, yeah. It is such a big weapon, but also one of his flaws too. As long as he doesn't get intimidated by Carlos and keeps DFs in check, he should be alright in that paet of the game.
Add that every other aspect of the game Alcaraz at 20 seems to play better, is a half step faster and smothers players with his aggressive style. Zverev has not played this more HC muscular game of Alcaraz, who will not let him settle into a groove of baseline grinding that the more passive Sinner allowed.
He does get too defensive too often. I hope he watched how Alcaraz blows Meddy off the court who loves to play far behind the baseline. He needs more agressive approach and not allow Alcaraz to start swinging like on a practice session.
Zverev will have a hard time recovering physically, and he needs to be in top form to counter Alcaraz attacking style, and from this Sinner match that was so draining I'm expecting Alcaraz to greet Zverev with a basket of drop shots to get the Gernan's leg churning early on. .
This is a potential problem for Zverev, played almost 5 hours and Carlos is looking fresher and faster. Sacha is also diabetic and who knows how he recovers from tonight's match. He has endurance, we know that, but he can also come out flat as we've seen before. Alcaraz is punishing everyone with droppers if he sees a guy too far back and lazy to anticipate what is coming. I just hope for a competitive match.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh my friend oh Contraire MM...I see your point because Carlos game is a bit more mature in all areas than Sinner..but if he is off his game or if the cramps hit him Sasha could pull the upset..I'm not gonna start singing the praises of Sasha Zverev but remember he was the original "chosen One".. If y'all didn't see something different from him tonight..maybe y'all wasn't paying attention because those ground strokes tonight was at the highest level.. We shall see!
I am handing you a Sasha fan tee shirt, lets take a deep breath about Sasha, he has played a 5 set match, he was exhausted, Charly will move him around the court and drop shot him at will, he has more weapons than Sahsa has for starters, Charly is a more 'instinctive tennis player than Sasha, quite frankly Sasha games bores me, you are most welcome to your point of view...................

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Oh my friend oh Contraire MM...I see your point because Carlos game is a bit more mature in all areas than Sinner..but if he is off his game or if the cramps hit him Sasha could pull the upset..I'm not gonna start singing the praises of Sasha Zverev but remember he was the original "chosen One".. If y'all didn't see something different from him tonight..maybe y'all wasn't paying attention because those ground strokes tonight was at the highest level.. We shall see!

People make out Sascha's a total failure or fraud! He does have a couple YEC's, an OGM, & a few Masters! Most don't have any of these titles! :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Last edited:
Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
People make out Sascha's a total failure or fraud! He does have a couple YEC's, and OGM, & a few Masters! Most don't have any of these titles! :face-with-hand-over-mouth:
Sasha off the court issues has not made him a fan favorite here on this board or elsewhere

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I am handing you a Sasha fan tee shirt, lets take a deep breath about Sasha, he has played a 5 set match, he was exhausted, Charly will move him around the court and drop shot him at will, he has more weapons than Sahsa has for starters, Charly is a more 'instinctive tennis player than Sasha, quite frankly Sasha games bores me, you are most welcome to your point of view...................

Agreed

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak will not face a player like those two until the finals
Well Novak had a favored draw from the start of the USO, just like Wimbledon, in saying that I would prefer a player to face a player before a final that can make him play good tight tennis and win through to a GS final, just my opinion

Reactions: Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Well Novak had a favored draw from the start of the USO, just like Wimbledon, in saying that I would prefer a player to face a player before a final that can make him play good tight tennis and win through to a GS final, just my opinion
I don't know how he keeps getting these draws. I guess he is the tennis God's favorite

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

tented

Administrator
Reactions
IMG_3912.jpeg

Reactions: kskate2 and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
People make out Sascha's a total failure or fraud! He does have a couple YEC's, an OGM, & a few Masters! Most don't have any of these titles! :face-with-hand-over-mouth:
I have been guilty of this, to some extent, but @El Dude has reminded me, and us, that Sasha has had already a really admirable career. But there is a weight of expectation of greater things for him, so he has disappointed more than a few times.
Sasha off the court issues has not made him a fan favorite here on this board or elsewhere
This is not why I don't like him, and it actually rarely comes up on these boards. I frankly don't think anyone here much cares. I did find him to be a jerk when he said he'd isolate after the Adria Tour debacle, and then was caught on social media out at brunch with a bunch of people. There is plenty to dislike about his on-court personality, which can be petulant and even violent, his game, which as @MargaretMcAleer says above, is boring, and often disappointing, as I mention in my response to Fiero.

Reactions: don_fabio

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It’s more complicated then just sheer dislike of Zverev by some.

In hindsight the Dimitrov match prepped Zverev enough. As he was down a set and setpoint against in the second and cameback, it let him loosen enough for this match with Sinner. Of course it doesn’t always work that way.

I give the Crown Prince credit for climbing back to the top ten ( on the ATP live rankings) after that terrible injury last year. I had my doubts he could recover enough but age 26 he’s clawed back, so respect for that.

The problem with him since he won his first Masters at age 20 is the expectations were, fair or not, that he could jump up to the final level & win Majors. This has not happened and his game hasn't matured/improved to the point where IMO he can challenge Alcaraz ( who is still developing) or Novak ( who is still a level above him) at a Slam.

In contrast, Sinner is an up and comer , & again fair or not, the hope is he can leap through through that Slam ceiling. So losing to Zverev disappointed those who want to see any other young player reach his full potential and breakthrough. Mens tennis needs that. Zverev is staus quo of an also-ran who consistenrly falls short in Slams.

Zverev winning is to me more a measure of Sinner falling short with a huge opportunity in front of him ( the cramps did not help) and especially in a Slam where he was mentioned in the same breath as the big boys as a favorite.

People act like these kids have forever, unfortunately by age 23 if you dont break through after 4 or 5 years on the tour to at least reach a Slam final the odds are its not going to happen.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It’s more complicated then just sheer dislike of Zverev by some.

In hindsight the Dimitrov match prepped Zverev enough. As he was down a set and setpoint against in the second and cameback, it let him loosen enough for this match with Sinner. Of course it doesn’t always work that way.

I give the Crown Prince credit for climbing back to the top ten ( on the ATP live rankings) after that terrible injury last year. I had my doubts he could recover enough but age 26 he’s clawed back, so respect for that.

The problem with him since he won his first Masters at age 20 is the expectations were, fair or not, that he could jump up to the final level & win Majors. This has not happened and his game hasn't matured/improved to the point where IMO he can challenge Alcaraz ( who is still developing) or Novak ( who is still a level above him) at a Slam.

In contrast, Sinner is an up and comer , & again fair or not, the hope is he can leap through through that Slam ceiling. So losing to Zverev disappointed those who want to see any other young player reach his full potential and breakthrough. Mens tennis needs that. Zverev is staus quo of an also-ran who consistenrly falls short in Slams.

Zverev winning is to me more a measure of Sinner falling short with a huge opportunity in front of him ( the cramps did not help) and especially in a Slam where he was mentioned in the same breath as the big boys as a favorite.

People act like these kids have forever, unfortunately by age 23 if you dont break through after 4 or 5 years on the tour to at least reach a Slam final the odds are its not going to happen.
This is where I both agree and disagree with you at the same time.

I agree that Sinner not able to beating Zverev is a disappointing especially Sinner is probably playing his best tennis so far.

As for your 2nd point, I disagree because while Sinner has been in the tour now for 3 to 4 years, he still only turned 22 years old. As far I know 22 years old is still a young age. Also, we have to look at these young players in a different light compared to the Big Four and Alcaraz. Those 5 players are/were great players for a reason.

We have to see these young players for their career progress than flash in the pan moments. Because we will have young players who have an amazing tournament then struggle the rest of the year. Ben Shelton is a prime example of this.

One more thing: While Sinner has not reached any Slam Final yet, he has improved his game and has done well outside of Slams. Now, in 2024, he definitely needs to reach a Slam Final, no more excuses.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I don't know how he keeps getting these draws. I guess he is the tennis God's favorite

Are you kidding? Novak's gotten a few breaks of late, but what about his entire career of fighting to get thru Fedal, then the annoyances of Murray, Del Po, & Wawrinka? He should get any and all advantages after 15 years of dealing w/ that kind of heavy competition in every tournament played; Masters, Majors, & Olympics! Ridiculous! He wasn't getting pigeons like Ferrer, Gonzalez, Hewitt, Agassi, Baghdatis, Roddick, & Cilic in all those finals he won! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

• Haha
Reactions: the AntiPusher
Status
Not open for further replies.