US Open 2023 [Men] - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Not the result I wanted, Sinner was far from his best in this match, regardless of leg cramps
Some how found some strength to win that 4th set

Reactions: AnonymousFan

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
One thing is for sure they will both be taking long Ice Baths
MM it will take a full 48 just for Sasha body to feel just "sore" ..I don't know how he gonna recover..maybe uncle Novak will let him take a sip of his bottle

If Sasha serves like this he will win the title

Reactions: Fiero425

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Zverev had some huge serving to get out of trouble, unfortunately the big boys are coming up.

Potentially he has to beat Alcaraz, Medvedev & Novak in that order to win this title.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
No way Taylor, Foe or Big Ben can hit the ball better than these two guys did tonight...

As for Sinner.. there's Nothing he could have done better. @don_fabio

Reactions: don_fabio

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Zverev had some huge serving to get out of trouble, unfortunately the big boys are coming up.

Potentially he has to beat Alcaraz, Medvedev & Novak in that order to win this title.
It is why I wish Sinner has a consistent and good serve in his arsenal.

Too many times his serve gets broken on critical moments

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Cahill is still working on Sinners serve post Wimbledon, he also needs more gym work to strengthen his body

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No way Taylor, Foe or Big Ben can hit the ball better than these two guys did tonight...

Well he could have won the match.

Slugging it out from the baseline I do think Zverev’s nerves held better then Sinner, Jannik got very, very tight at times. That first set was not pretty at all.

Again the same old tune: Sinner had the added weight of that ugly beast, expectations, on his shoulders and he certainly felt it.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
They all similar and play with small margins which produces a lot of UEs. Sinner and Zverev are more consistent, they both hit the ball really good from both wings.
Right. So Zverev is still maybe a leader of the pack that is below the big guys. He needs to step up, but has so difficult task in front of him. Alcaraz is way better player now compared to when Sacha beat him in RG.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
They all similar and play with small margins which produces a lot of UEs. Sinner and Zverev are more consistent, they both hit the ball really good from both wings.

Right. So Zverev is still maybe a leader of the pack that is below the big guys. He needs to step up, but has so difficult task in front of him. Alcaraz is way better player now compared to when Sacha beat him in RG.
Agree Don,
On this performance from Sasha he wont be beating Charly, there is no way on Sinner's performance regardless of the cramps he would have beaten him either

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
To date there hasnt been any stand out matches from the men, ( there was 1 from the woman that to me was a contender for the match of the year)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

TRUST me Carlos is concerned about playing Sasha serving and moving around like THIS

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
TRUST me Carlos is concerned about playing Sasha serving and moving around like THIS
It's a valid point. If Sacha doesn't give him a chance on his own serve, Alcaraz will feel the pressure. There's no mental scars for Zverev like against Novak or Rafa. His defense has always been good, he can force errors from Alcaraz if needed, but also has power to hit winners.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's a valid point. If Sacha doesn't give him a chance on his own serve, Alcaraz will feel the pressure. There's no mental scars for Zverev like against Novak or Rafa. His defense has always been good, he can force errors from Alcaraz if needed, but also has power to hit winners.
OTOH, while I concede Zverev can serve well at his best , let's face it, his serve is one of the most unpredictable facets of his game, and it can get downright ugly in a hurry with a flurry of DF's at the drop of a hat.

Add that every other aspect of the game Alcaraz at 20 seems to play better, is a half step faster and smothers players with his aggressive style. Zverev has not played this more HC muscular game of Alcaraz, who will not let him settle into a groove of baseline grinding that the more passive Sinner allowed.

Zverev will have a hard time recovering physically, and he needs to be in top form to counter Alcaraz attacking style, and from this Sinner match that was so draining I'm expecting Alcaraz to greet Zverev with a basket of drop shots to get the Gernan's leg churning early on. .

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
OTOH, while I concede Zverev can serve well at his best , let's face it, his serve is one of the most unpredictable facets of his game, and it can get downright ugly in a hurry with a flurry of DF's at the drop of a hat.

Add that every other aspect of the game Alcaraz at 20 seems to play better, is a half step faster and smothers players with his aggressive style. Zverev has not played this more HC muscular game of Alcaraz, who will not let him settle into a groove of baseline grinding that the more passive Sinner allowed.

Zverev will have a hard time recovering physically, and he needs to be in top form to counter Alcaraz attacking style, and from this Sinner match that was so draining I'm expecting Alcaraz to greet Zverev with a basket of drop shots to get the Gernan's leg churning early on. .
It's all about confidence..Sasha has grown up!

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Agree Don,
On this performance from Sasha he wont be beating Charly, there is no way on Sinner's performance regardless of the cramps he would have beaten him either
Oh my friend oh Contraire MM...I see your point because Carlos game is a bit more mature in all areas than Sinner..but if he is off his game or if the cramps hit him Sasha could pull the upset..I'm not gonna start singing the praises of Sasha Zverev but remember he was the original "chosen One".. If y'all didn't see something different from him tonight..maybe y'all wasn't paying attention because those ground strokes tonight was at the highest level.. We shall see!

Reactions: don_fabio
Status
Not open for further replies.