US Open 2023 [Men] - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It’s good that Novak gets to play in the real conditions. Fritz took him to five sets in Oz 2021, but I wouldn’t call it a ‘huge’ opportunity.
While I still think Djokovic will win, Fritz has a better chance tomorrow than he had in AO21.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
While I still think Djokovic will win, Fritz has a better chance tomorrow than he had in AO21.
There’s always a first time for everything. Maybe Frtizy will win tomorrow.
I don’t think Fritz has it in him mentally to beat Novak, especially in best of 5. It wouldn’t surprise me if Fritz is yet another guy who gets up two sets to love, and loses to Novak in 5.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It’s good that Novak gets to play in the real conditions. Fritz took him to five sets in Oz 2021, but I wouldn’t call it a ‘huge’ opportunity.
IF not now, when?

Other than simply waiting for Father Time to take it's toll on Novak, for the 25 year old this is a huge opportunity. Playing at home with a crowd that is going to be clearly in his corner, this is a door he could step through if he has the cojones to play a fearless match. His serve is as good as anyone's and physical stamina should not be an issue for Taylor as he's impressively breezed through his first four matches in straight sets. Other than the 2nd round match (66%) his first serve percentage I think does need to go up but he has the tools in the box, its' the execution now that the moment is here.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
IF not now, when?

Other than simply waiting for Father Time to take it's toll on Novak, for the 25 year old this is a huge opportunity. Playing at home with a crowd that is going to be clearly in his corner, this is a door he could step through if he has the cojones to play a fearless match. His serve is as good as anyone's and physical stamina should not be an issue for Taylor as he's impressively breezed through his first four matches in straight sets. Other than the 2nd round match (66%) his first serve percentage I think does need to go up but he has the tools in the box, its' the execution now that the moment is here.
This is a joke, but it’s a time when I wonder how someone such as Fritz would do against Novak, if he didn’t know he was playing Novak. If you put Fritz on a court, and tell him his opponent will be wearing a mask, how would he do? How much is mental by knowing it’s Novak, the 23-major champion? Again, I’m really joking, but I can’t help but think there’s something to this idea in general.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
IF not now, when?

Other than simply waiting for Father Time to take it's toll on Novak, for the 25 year old this is a huge opportunity. Playing at home with a crowd that is going to be clearly in his corner, this is a door he could step through if he has the cojones to play a fearless match. His serve is as good as anyone's and physical stamina should not be an issue for Taylor as he's impressively breezed through his first four matches in straight sets. Other than the 3rd round match (66%) his first serve percentage I think needs to go up but he has the tools in the box, its' the execution.
Well, Novak is one of the best returners in the sport, he’s still at least a cut above all the other players, except Carlos, still clutch when he needs to be, and has been able to read Taylor’s serve pretty well.

Reactions: Fiero425

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, Novak is one of the best returners in the sport, he’s still at least a cut above all the other players, except Carlos, still clutch when he needs to be, and has been able to read Taylor’s serve pretty well.
Oh definitely I agree Novak is the clear favorite, I'm talking more how this opportunity is as good as it will get for Taylor IF he can somehow play above expectations and of course Novak has an off day. At this level as fans we all know sometimes players can have that day, where everything clicks, Fiero and I like to call it "playing in the zone". Taylor needs to hold his serve consistently (I would say 65-70% first serve ) and hope some opportunities arrive on Novak's service games and take his shot.

The odds are against it, naturally, but the addictive nature of competitive sports is that there is always that sliver of a chance...

I know that El Dude thinks all Rafa fans hate Novak, but for me, other then Rafa (and maybe Holger) I'd rather Novak win if he's playing very well, I have to respect that. It's just that you get these moments, like Del Potro beating Federer in the 09 USO or Stan beating Novak in the 15 FO when the underdog just takes it.

Last edited:

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
or Stan beating Novak in the 15 FO when the underdog just takes it.
I get all your points. And I agree. I wanted to comment on this - Stan’s ability to hit people off the court has been one of his most impressive talents, along with that beautiful one handed backhand. A year ago, playing the way he is now, I think he would have hit Sinner off the court. Jannik has added muscle and was able to stay with Stan and win.. That impressed me. Hopefully he will take down Zverev too.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
* As to Alcaraz's grunting: I know a few have commented, even to the extent it could be hinderence. I know @Kieran has said as much. He doesn't grunt on every point, and when he does, it's just before his swing. If anything, it telegraphs that the change-of-pace is coming. He doesn't grunt on neutral rally shots. But when he changes pace, he grunts. Before the shot. And those shots are breathtaking.
The issue I had with his grunting - if I remember it right - is that he either grunted too early or too late and it was an obvious fake grunt, which is a hindrance.
I'm happy I got to see Charly live, and we did have fun. I got back in time to see that last 2 sets of Sinner d. Wawrinka on my stream. I hadn't realized he had a "Carota Squad" following him around. They are insane. It has to be hot inside of those costumes.
It’s great for you to see Charley live! I never saw Rafa, but since he’s going to continue next year, I’ll slip off to Rome. I’ve seen both Novak and Roger, which is scant consolation…

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Question. I checked the weather in NYC and there’s a small chance of a thunderstorm, but there is a heat advisory. Is that the reason for the roof being shut on both the stadium courts?
I have this same question. I've never heard of closing the roof for heat rule in NYC. It didn't rain in Manhattan, but it did rain, apparently in Queens? I'm not sure it's best to close the roof anticipating rain. But maybe it was heat? As @tented has said, it's an outdoor event. Not sure why the closed the roofs so early.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I have this same question. I've never heard of closing the roof for heat rule in NYC. It didn't rain in Manhattan, but it did rain, apparently in Queens? I'm not sure it's best to close the roof anticipating rain. But maybe it was heat? As @tented has said, it's an outdoor event. Not sure why the closed the roofs so early.
Here are the rules of the roof, which explicitly state the roof will not be closed due to heat.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The issue I had with his grunting - if I remember it right - is that he either grunted too early or too late and it was an obvious fake grunt, which is a hindrance.
This is why I'm telling you it's not a hinderance. First of all, "too early" is not a thing. What? He grunts before the ball even leaves the other player's side of the court? No. And too late would be if he made a noise when the ball was on the other player's side of the court. I'm telling you he does neither. He plays rally balls without grunting, and he gives a heave-ho when he's going to change pace. Right before.

One thing that happened today, was that he cried "No," during a rally with Arnaldi. He thought his ball went out. Arnaldi played it, and eventually one the point. Alcaraz apologized for crying out during the point. Since Arnaldi won it, there was no hinderance. But he did apologize.

From what I saw, I don't think that Alcaraz in any way hinders with his grunting. If anything, he telegraphs the change of pace. It's just that the opponent is unlikely to be able to do anything about it.
It’s great for you to see Charley live! I never saw Rafa, but since he’s going to continue next year, I’ll slip off to Rome. I’ve seen both Novak and Roger, which is scant consolation…
I'm surprised you've never seen Rafa live. You really must!

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Here are the rules of the roof, which explicitly state the roof will not be closed due to heat.
Thanks tented. I went and looked it up after I asked. So my guess is that since there was a 55% chance of thunderstorms, they chose to close the roof to forego any disruptions of play. There’s a 28% chance of showers tomorrow, so Moxie will get to watch Novak bake like the gingerbread man. :lol6:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks tented. I went and looked it up after I asked. So my guess is that since there was a 55% chance of thunderstorms, they chose to close the roof to forego any disruptions of play. There’s a 28% chance of showers tomorrow, so Moxie will get to watch Novak bake like the gingerbread man. :lol6:
I have a problem with closing the roof in anticipation, if you know what I mean. I live in Manhattan, some 8-10 miles as the crow flies from BJK Tennis Center, and it never rained on me today. Is it worse to suffer a delay, or turn an outdoor event into an indoor event? Especially since there were hardly any matches to play today. They could have survived it. I still feel like some of these events aren't sure what to do with the benefit of a roof. Wimbledon took a while to figure it out.

As to Novak baking "like a gingerbread man," yes, tomorrow will be hot, again. No rain in the forecast. If he can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. They asked Carlitos today if he didn't appreciate the roof cover in the heat, and he said he'd rather play outdoors. :clap:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Doctor out on court for Meddy who has given him a 'puffer' for breathing, he was just broken by Alex , before the doctor came on court
Even though Alex has limited weapons, he can absorb hard hitters, and can move quickly around the court, also has a better transition game to the net than Meddy

Status
Not open for further replies.