Upset corner: AO 2018 edition

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I saw Ferrer playing this year and I won't be surprised to see him again in the top 20 at least. Lopez is no stranger to the #30-#50 range. Lorenzi had his career high just last year. Benneteau had his career high (25) as late as 2014 (so at 33 years old), and just recovered from outside the top 100 to close to #50 (one more win and he'll get there). Estrella Burgos is at #79, but given that his career high is 43 (just in 2015, at 35, after spending his life well outside the top 100). So, ok, fading away, but in a slow and steady way down.

Does anyone remember a guy who had announced his retirement and then beat Rafa at Doha:laugh:

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
@mrzz, I'm guessing that if Ferrer doesn't get back in the top 20 he'll quit after this year, but who knows. Would love to see him stick around.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Bottom line, the storyline from the last few years, stays alive. The ATP field gets older and older, even though some young players keep making noise.
At the moment there are:
41 players in the 30+ club in the top 100;
50% of the top 20 or the top 40 belong to the same club.
The fresh blood aka youngsters are just too few and far on between.
There is a lack of depth in the new upcoming generations.

Reactions: kskate2

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
@mrzz, I'm guessing that if Ferrer doesn't get back in the top 20 he'll quit after this year, but who knows. Would love to see him stick around.
I don't think that Ferrer has the ego that would make him quit, just because he drops in the rankings. If he's playing well, and enjoying the game, I think he'll keep making the money. But he is invested in the Valencia tournament. Maybe he stops and becomes the director there, when he has to.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Bottom line, the storyline from the last few years, stays alive. The ATP field gets older and older, even though some young players keep making noise.
At the moment there are:
41 players in the 30+ club in the top 100;
50% of the top 20 or the top 40 belong to the same club.
The fresh blood aka youngsters are just too few and far on between.
There is a lack of depth in the new upcoming generations.

I don't agree with your last. I think there is depth in the up-and-comers.

Reactions: El Dude

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Does anyone remember a guy who had announced his retirement and then beat Rafa at Doha:laugh:

Yes. Michael Berrer in 2015. Retired 2016 instead after his result in Doha made him reconsider retirement for 1 more year on tour.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes. Michael Berrer in 2015. Retired 2016 instead after his result in Doha made him reconsider retirement for 1 more year on tour.
Wow, it's kind of weird and telling how much you Fed fans catalogue these Nadal losses. I really don't remember that at all, and I pay a lot of attention to Nadal's career.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Wow, it's kind of weird and telling how much you Fed fans catalogue these Nadal losses. I really don't remember that at all, and I pay a lot of attention to Nadal's career.

I didn't even need to Google it as I quite liked Berrer's game even before then and happened to watch that match at the time. He was a big dude for a tennis player too. Blocky like a fighter/boxer.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I didn't even need to Google it as I quite liked Berrer's game even before then and happened to watch that match at the time. He was a big dude for a tennis player too. Blocky like a fighter/boxer.
That's what I'm saying is weird. What event was it?

mrzz

Hater
Reactions

The "career arch" indeed suggest that, but even if I don't love his style, as I said I saw the guy play this year and it seemed to me quite easily top 20 level. I know you need consistency, but that's exactly what Ferrer does. Let's see.

Reactions: Moxie

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Tsonga's defeat by Kyrgios qualifies as an upset,because JWT was a top 16 seed ( ranked 15) and Nick was 17 ranked
This was the toughest R3 in the draw no doubts.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Tsonga's defeat by Kyrgios qualifies as an upset,because JWT was a top 16 seed ( ranked 15) and Nick was 17 ranked
This was the toughest R3 in the draw no doubts.

Is it ever really an "upset" when Tsonga loses? He's one of the guys I always put on my underachievers list for the 29-32 y.o. generation. Monfils, Tsonga, Berdych, Dolgopolov, Gasquet. The fact that 3 of them are French is probably NOT a coincidence...

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

I love Rafa losses, but rarely pay attention if in some small event where I don't think he applied himself or cared as much! I forgot that one!

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Chung just smoked Zverev in the final set. I said after the Hopman Cup that Zverev's camp has to be worried about how he's losing these matches - taking a walk about in the final set. The Top 10 Sophomore Slump is real...

Reactions: Fiero425

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Berdy is taking DP to the shed. Two sets up!

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Delpo out, sad and disappointing

Normally I'd feel the same, but in this instance I don't mind ! He hasn't beaten Nole often, but he has his moments of genius! Now all we need is for Fucsovics to play the match of his life and take out Federer so Novak can make the final the first major back! :whistle: :rolleyes: :lol3:

Reactions: Denis

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Normally I'd feel the same, but in this instance I don't mind ! He hasn't beaten Nole often, but he has his moments of genius! Now all we need is for Fucsovics to play the match of his life and take out Federer so Novak can make the final the first major back! :whistle: :rolleyes: :lol3:
Why does someone else have to the dirty work? You don't believe your boy could take Grandpa Fed? :lol6: