Tokyo Olympics 2021 - 24th July to 1st August 2021

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie,

Please read my post where Novak said Pressure is a Privilege in response to when Simone Biles, he stated that to the press when she withdrew to mental pressure and you have to deal with pressure and cope in these moments?
Now you are giving him a free pass? one minute he is on top of the world and cruising and decided to play mixed doubles which was his choice.? now he cites mental exhaustion and is injured., after he loses.Sorry I don't buy the tripe at all.
He made the decision to play the Olympics full stop.
Mentally exhausted and blah blah blah..if that asshole would have won the Gold medal he wouldn't have said a damn thing about it

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I might as watch the mens gold match while I wait for the mixed doubles gold match as I am not working tonight

I see Moxie has not answered my post to her? maybe she is being Switzerland:)

Good to see a female umpire on the mens gold medal match....Alison Hughes is a very experienced umpire,who has officiated at GS final level.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sasha wins the 1st set 63,his first serve at present is working well,winning 12 of the 15 first serve points.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Karen not getting any free points on his first serve and Sasha reading it well,gets the error off Karen's bh and breaks early in the 2nd set,Sasha leads 3-0

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
A fhand winner from Sasha who is playing with margin and control breaks again and leads 4-0 2nd set
Sasha consolidates his 2nd break of the 2nd set and leads 5-0

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sasha will now serve for the match and the gold medal and be the first German man to win Olympic Gold in tennis 5-1

Well done to Zverev d Khachanov 63 61 to win Gold Medal and first German man to win Gold! in tennis! ( Steffi Graff was the last German to win gold in 1988)

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie,

Please read my post where Novak said Pressure is a Privilege in response to when Simone Biles, he stated that to the press when she withdrew to mental pressure and you have to deal with pressure and cope in these moments?
Now you are giving him a free pass? one minute he is on top of the world and cruising and decided to play mixed doubles which was his choice.? now he cites mental exhaustion and is injured., after he loses.Sorry I don't buy the tripe at all.
He made the decision to play the Olympics full stop.
This isn't about giving him a free pass at all. I was responding to don fabio and my point in particular was about the pressure going into the US Open. I don't think it's just about "recharging," as some are saying. The pressure will still be there, and I don't think Novak is the best with that sort of thing. However, what I hadn't read carefully, or realized at the time was that his quoting of BJK on pressure and privilege was ever used as a criticism of SBiles. I thought he was talking about himself, and his loss. That is pretty amazing that he would publicly criticize Biles, in the first place, and then not handle the pressure, himself.
I see Moxie has not answered my post to her? maybe she is being Switzerland:)
Moi? When it comes to Novak? What are the chances? :lulz1:

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sasha will now serve for the match and the gold medal and be the first German man to win Olympic Gold in tennis 5-1

Well done to Zverev d Khachanov 63 61 to win Gold Medal and first German man to win Gold! in tennis! ( Steffi Graff was the last German to win gold in 1988)
I only saw the beginning of the match before I fell asleep, but Zverev looked to be playing some very confident and smart tennis. And he seems to have gotten the yips out of his serve. He will be looking for some redemption at the US Open this year. And speaking of, I wonder what goes on with Dominic Thiem these days.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I only saw the beginning of the match before I fell asleep, but Zverev looked to be playing some very confident and smart tennis. And he seems to have gotten the yips out of his serve. He will be looking for some redemption at the US Open this year. And speaking of, I wonder what goes on with Dominic Thiem these days.
Thiem is still recovering from the wrist injuries.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I am not trying to defend Novak's tantrums, racquet smashing or bailing out on MD.

However, it appears that his statement "pressure is a privilege" (which is not even original) is taken out of context. The following quote is from a newspaper article.

"The top-ranked Serb was asked how he deals with the pressure of attempting to accomplish something that no man has done before in tennis: completing a Golden Slam. Pressure is a privilege, my friend,” Djokovic said in answer to a reporter's question after winning both of his matches at the Ariake Tennis Park on Wednesday, beating Alejandro Davidovich Fokina of Spain to reach the quarterfinals in singles then teaming with partner Nina Stojanovic for another victory in the opening round of mixed doubles.

“Without pressure there is no professional sport,” Djokovic added. “If you are aiming to be at the top of the game you better start learning how to deal with pressure and how to cope with those moments — on the court but also off the court."

Djokovic, who has already won the Australian Open, French Open and Wimbledon this year and needs the Tokyo Games title and the U.S. Open trophy to complete a Golden Slam, said he has learned to deal with all expectations.

“All that buzz and all that noise is the thing that, I can’t say I don’t see it or I don’t hear it, of course it’s there, but I’ve learned, I’ve developed the mechanism how to deal with it in such a way that it will not impose destruction to me. It will not wear me down,” Djokovic said. "I feel I have enough experience to know myself how to step on the court and play my best tennis.”

Djokovic struggled more with mental pressure at the start of his career when he wasn't winning as much as longtime rivals Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. He won the Wimbledon title this month to match Federer and Nadal with his 20th Grand Slam.

“Of course. It’s normal,” Djokovic said. “No one is born with those abilities. Those abilities come with time.”

If in this context, he has said that, I don't see it as being wrong.

Last edited:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I am glad Sasha won the Olympics. This is not because I am a fan of Sasha; but, I think he deserved it having taken out Novak. :clap:

Sasha now has won Olympics Gold and also WTF. Hopefully, he would win a GS before end of 2022.

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I will answer your post.........I have watched Theim back on court though his right wrist is still taped up and he is practicing with his left hand,he will not play Toronto.
Before we all get too carried away with Sasha's win,remember at GS level he has not beaten a Top Ten player.
This new format at the Olynpics games is the best of 3 sets,where in Rio it was the best of five sets for the mens final,would this still have favored Sasha?

Last edited:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am not trying to defend Novak's tantrums, racquet smashing or bailing out on MD.

However, it appears that his statement "pressure is a privilege" (which is not even original) is taken out of context. The following quote is from a newspaper article.

"The top-ranked Serb was asked how he deals with the pressure of attempting to accomplish something that no man has done before in tennis: completing a Golden Slam. Pressure is a privilege, my friend,” Djokovic said in answer to a reporter's question after winning both of his matches at the Ariake Tennis Park on Wednesday, beating Alejandro Davidovich Fokina of Spain to reach the quarterfinals in singles then teaming with partner Nina Stojanovic for another victory in the opening round of mixed doubles.

“Without pressure there is no professional sport,” Djokovic added. “If you are aiming to be at the top of the game you better start learning how to deal with pressure and how to cope with those moments — on the court but also off the court."

Djokovic, who has already won the Australian Open, French Open and Wimbledon this year and needs the Tokyo Games title and the U.S. Open trophy to complete a Golden Slam, said he has learned to deal with all expectations.

“All that buzz and all that noise is the thing that, I can’t say I don’t see it or I don’t hear it, of course it’s there, but I’ve learned, I’ve developed the mechanism how to deal with it in such a way that it will not impose destruction to me. It will not wear me down,” Djokovic said. "I feel I have enough experience to know myself how to step on the court and play my best tennis.”

Djokovic struggled more with mental pressure at the start of his career when he wasn't winning as much as longtime rivals Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. He won the Wimbledon title this month to match Federer and Nadal with his 20th Grand Slam.

“Of course. It’s normal,” Djokovic said. “No one is born with those abilities. Those abilities come with time.”

If in this context, he has said that, I don't see it as being wrong.
Wow, color me shocked that the media took someone’s quote out of context.

Not.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
According to a poll taken during the Tennis Olympics the Mixed Doubles Final was the most entertaining,next Women's Final and last but not least the Men's Doubles Final.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This isn't about giving him a free pass at all. I was responding to don fabio and my point in particular was about the pressure going into the US Open. I don't think it's just about "recharging," as some are saying. The pressure will still be there, and I don't think Novak is the best with that sort of thing. However, what I hadn't read carefully, or realized at the time was that his quoting of BJK on pressure and privilege was ever used as a criticism of SBiles. I thought he was talking about himself, and his loss. That is pretty amazing that he would publicly criticize Biles, in the first place, and then not handle the pressure, himself.

Moi? When it comes to Novak? What are the chances? :lulz1:
Novak was answering the press when they brought up Biles and her withdrawal Novak then went on to say that Pressure is a Privilage and how he handles pressure etc etc........agree he cannot handle the pressure himself.That is what I said in my post.
In regards to Seffi Graf she was 19 in 1988 when she won Gold at the Olympics then went on to win the Golden Calendar Slam in the same year,indeed she handled the pressure:)
BTW when I say being 'Switzerland" I mean you are 'fence sitting' a phrase I have learnt Down Under:)

Last edited:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
According to a poll taken during the Tennis Olympics the Mixed Doubles Final was the most entertaining,next Women's Final and last but not least the Men's Doubles Final.
The doubles' always more entertaining; going way back! We loved the "wipeouts" in singles so they had time to televise the dubs in the 70's! :dance2:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The doubles' always more entertaining; going way back! We loved the "wipeouts" in singles so they had time to televise the dubs in the 70's! :dance2:
I am just rewatching the Mixed Doubles Gold final now as I needed an early night after working night shift,so far it is a great match
I love good doubles matches,women's and mens as well.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
To be honest with you. I don't think the Tokyo Games tennis matches were too intriguing but I think the mixed doubles final between the two Russian teams was the best.