Tokyo Olympics 2021 - 24th July to 1st August 2021

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I have only seen highlights so far, too, so it's hard to tell, but it did seem like Novak kind of folded, given what we know about Zverev.

I think you are comparing apples to oranges in terms of mentally tough Serena v. mentally tough Novak. Serena, pre-baby, was one of the toughest competitors in the game, men's or women's. In 2015, and 2 matches away from the real GS, Serena buckled. I do not think that Novak has been generally as strong, mentally, as Serena. You want to say that, over the course of his career, since he has challenged Fedal, he's been tough. But that's where I say false comparison. It's not a fair comparison to make it for Novak about across his career, and for Serena about a specific moment. Djokovic has actually wilted under certain types of direct pressure. Which has been less true of Serena, until post-baby, and also chasing the elusive 25th Major.

Novak fell apart basically for 2 years after finally completely the career slam/Nole slam. He couldn't pull off the win v. Wawrinka in 2015, after he managed to beat Nadal at RG. He was pretty much utter crap at the end of last year, after a spectacular start. When he's on, and confident, he does seem unbeatable, but when he's off, please don't tell me he's as tough as Serena, for most of her career.
Serena needs to get to 24 first before getting to 25 which I doubt she will.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Both have got t/b spent! I wouldm't play in those conditions! I never did enough training to get away playing w/ that kind of oppressive heat! :anxious-face-with-sweat:
Tennis is not a fair weather sport..I played matches in Chicago when the on court temp hit 107 degrees Fahrenheit and in Atlanta when the temperature got down to 35 degrees Fahrenheit .Only lightning, hurricane or tornado conditions can stop a match in my experiences. The on court conditions are the same for both players. No excuses.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Vamos and Congratulations to PCB who won the Bronze Medal Match defeating Djokovic 64 67(6) 63
PCB did not get his serve broken all match
Well done PCB!
Congratulations to PCB .way to represent the Spanish Armada is still at the top.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Don't know how Djokovic can be clear Goat now Always losing in the biggest stage in tennis Olympics. And it's been on his Favourite surface too 3 out of 4 times 2008, 2016 2021 OMG that's embarrassing for Djokovic. Nadal still holds on to Co-Goat with Djokovic for now.
Probably cos the Olympics don't have ANY bearing regarding the GOAT discussion whatsoever. Not even 0.00000000001%

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I have only seen highlights so far, too, so it's hard to tell, but it did seem like Novak kind of folded, given what we know about Zverev.

I think you are comparing apples to oranges in terms of mentally tough Serena v. mentally tough Novak. Serena, pre-baby, was one of the toughest competitors in the game, men's or women's. In 2015, and 2 matches away from the real GS, Serena buckled. I do not think that Novak has been generally as strong, mentally, as Serena. You want to say that, over the course of his career, since he has challenged Fedal, he's been tough. But that's where I say false comparison. It's not a fair comparison to make it for Novak about across his career, and for Serena about a specific moment. Djokovic has actually wilted under certain types of direct pressure. Which has been less true of Serena, until post-baby, and also chasing the elusive 25th Major.

Novak fell apart basically for 2 years after finally completely the career slam/Nole slam. He couldn't pull off the win v. Wawrinka in 2015, after he managed to beat Nadal at RG. He was pretty much utter crap at the end of last year, after a spectacular start. When he's on, and confident, he does seem unbeatable, but when he's off, please don't tell me he's as tough as Serena, for most of her career.
Good points about Serena's mentality especially pre baby. Let's be honest, Serena's tennis was better when the baby was still in her stomach. I don't know any celebrity athlete that show cases their child more she has..That may be where her problems are.( Trust me there no prouder parent than I am, so I get it.)

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
Probably cos the Olympics don't have ANY bearing regarding the GOAT discussion whatsoever. Not even 0.00000000001%
False claim by you it's the biggest tennis event in the world Djokovic knew this too. I would say Olympics is on par with Majors very big in Goat Discussion so Nadal real major count is 21. Also you saying Olympics means nothing then Djokovic was in tears at Rio 2016 just shows that a tard you are. also Goat don't lose 3 matches in 24 hours LOL. Both Djokovic and Federer have done the worst acts in tennis this season Federer at RG and now Olympics for Djokovic.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
So it's recap Djokovic Olympics games he first decided to play mixed Doubles so he maybe get Nina into his bed. Than Djokovic left her hanging without a medal just so avoid 4th straight embarrassing defeat in under 48 hours?. And is most likely blaming Stojanovic for his losses and now saying he's injured. So basically Djokovic can't even accept 3 straight losses goes to straight to Exercises like little girl saying he's injured or worn out. So basically Djokovic used everybody for his own Gain Nina, Serbia Olympics, fans and it backfired badly.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
And you were saying.... jajaja
Actually, Novak losing to PCB was more predictable. (As was his withdrawal in mixed doubles, though I actually thought he'd withdraw in the singles consolation match before.) In London 2012, when he had specifically stated early in the year that the gold medal (along with the title at Roland Garros) were his big goals for the year. When he eventually played JMdP for the bronze, it was clear he was not interested in another bronze medal. So this year even more than that...gold or nothing. In Rio, he lost (to JMdP) in the first round of singles, then the first round (?) in doubles, so he bailed on mixed all together and left town. So, as I said, losing the bronze match, and withdrawing due to injury (to his pride) were both predictable.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
PCB is bad match up for Djokovic this the second time in under 12 months he's beaten Djokovic in big matches us open last year as well.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Actually, Novak losing to PCB was more predictable. (As was his withdrawal in mixed doubles, though I actually thought he'd withdraw in the singles consolation match before.) In London 2012, when he had specifically stated early in the year that the gold medal (along with the title at Roland Garros) were his big goals for the year. When he eventually played JMdP for the bronze, it was clear he was not interested in another bronze medal. So this year even more than that...gold or nothing. In Rio, he lost (to JMdP) in the first round of singles, then the first round (?) in doubles, so he bailed on mixed all together and left town. So, as I said, losing the bronze match, and withdrawing due to injury (to his pride) were both predictable.
When he bailed out in Rio..did he get replaced in the mixed doubles or was it too late ..

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Wow, this is embarassing. I can't believe that Novak lost to PCB of all the people. This is a serious insult. :nono:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
That chump just bitched out via a withdrawal due to injured arm..The punk should have played because his country woman whom the other teams said was the most feared of their mixed doubles team might have been able to carry his mental midget ass

I strongly criticize Novak for not playing in the broze medal match of MD. I don't buy the shoulder injury excuse. As others pointed out, it was just injury to his pride. By not playing in a match with medal implications, he let down his country. Given that this is a doubles event, he also let down his partner Nina and deprived her a chance to win a medal. I consider this withdrawal to be more shameful act of Novak (even more so than his throwing of racquets). :facepalm:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't understand why the umpire didn't penalize Novak with two points for throwing his racket into the stands.. WHY?

The rule is the first time of racquet abuse, the player gets warning and the second time there is a point penalty. The umpire let it go the first time without giving warning (this often happens when a big name player abuses racquet - it should not) and therefore the umpire lost the right to enforce a point penalty when it happened the second time.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't understand why the umpire didn't penalize Novak with two points for throwing his racket into the stands.. WHY?

I wondered the same thing. He later smashed a racquet on the net post, and did get a warning, but that should have been a 2nd infraction, not a first. Same thing happened at the USO in his match v PCB when he got disqualified. He smashed his racquet pretty severely, prior to hitting the lineswoman and getting ejected, but got no warning for the prior offense. I'm sure, in retrospect, the chair wishes he had given that, because it would have made the DQ more palatable to some who felt it came out of nowhere, (i.e., Novak fans and Cali.)

Reactions: Vince Evert

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
“I gave it all – whatever I had left in the tank, which was not so much,” he said. “I felt it out on the court. The consequences physically hopefully will not create a problem for me for the US Open. That’s something that I’m not sure about right now.".

@Moxie would love the above quote from Novak after the bronze medal match.

Reactions: Moxie