The Rankings Thread (ATP)

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Why? Because you’re a fan? :popcorn

Nole will be the last of the true elites of the GAME! Fedalovic are characters we may never see again! We have had some great players over the decades, but they didn't rule their eras for 20+ years! Few have been able to overcome the Big 3 from even taking the peanuts out of the bowl of 250's, 500's, or M-1000's when their concentration or desire might not have been at their best! There was little in the way of dips; esp. w/ Fedovic! They maintained their levels at the top for a very long time w/ Novak being the most consistent getting to final after final after final! No one will surpass that 2015 season getting to all 4 major finals 3 & playing 8 M-1000's, got to all the finals, then won 6! His name is already riddled the recordbooks, over-writing Federer who used to own them! You have to appreciate the Tennis Intelligentsia is talking CYGS already with the man being 36! That has nothing to do with a weak era which is asinine! He still has to go out there and perform against the best! His game is impressive, but he's still not my fave! Now you can put select videos of him destroying Nadal and I'll watch them on a loop like '16 Qatar or '19 AO! In a lot of ways, I'm still recovering from the excessively long '12 AO! I even predicted when serving for the match, Novak's going to allow Rafa to break and steal that TB! I'd been up over 24 hours & I'm still PO'd it went 5:53! Rafa just wouldn't let it go until that opportunity missing a passing shot a truck could have driven thru! It gave Novak life to come back & win his 7th in a row of Nadal! It's real appreciation that he's thwarted Nadal ascending to a "palacial tennis heaven!" That spot's reserved for Djokovic now! :astonished-face: :fearful-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth::face-with-tears-of-joy:

Last edited:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I would love a throwback to the mid 80’s through the early 90’s where you had four to five legitimate Slam contenders simultaneously, such as Lendl, Becker, Edberg, Wilander and a supporting cast of dangerous dark horses such as Mecir, Pat Cash, Yannick Noah, a declining but still active Johnny Mac, Kevin Curren, Henri Leconte, etc. By the late 80’s Agassi, Courier, Chang & Sampras popped up. Not until 1993 did one singular champ ( Sampras) emerge.

Great era in that there were champs but a degree of suspense at Majors as there were multiple genuine contenders.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Nole will be the last of the true elites of the GAME! Fedalovic are characters we may never see again! We have had some great players over the decades, but they didn't rule their eras for 20+ years! Few have been able to overcome the Big 3 from even taking the peanuts out of the bowl of 250's, 500's, or M-1000's when their concentration or desire might not have been at their best! There was little in the way of dips; esp. w/ Fedovic! They maintained their levels at the top for a very long time w/ Novak being the most consistent getting to final after final after final! No one will surpass that 2015 season getting to all 4 major finals 3 & playing 8 M-1000's, got to all the finals, then won 6! His name is already riddled the recordbooks, over-writing Federer who used to own them! You have to appreciate the Tennis Intelligentsia is talking CYGS already with the man being 36! That has nothing to do with a weak era which is asinine! He still has to go out there and perform against the best! His game is impressive, but he's still not my fave! Now you can put select videos of him destroying Nadal and I'll watch them on a loop like '16 Qatar or '19 AO! In a lot of ways, I'm still recovering from the excessively long '12 AO! I even predicted when serving for the match, Novak's going to allow Rafa to break and steal that TB! I'd been up over 24 hours & I'm still PO'd it went 5:53! Rafa just wouldn't let it go until that opportunity missing a passing shot a truck could have driven thru! It gave Novak life to come back & win his 7th in a row of Nadal! It's real appreciation that he's thwarted Nadal ascending to a "palacial tennis heaven!" That spot's reserved for Djokovic now! :astonished-face: :fearful-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth::face-with-tears-of-joy:
Great post, buddy. As for the scarlet part, the players Novak has beaten in his last seven slam victories have been the best, unfortunately. Ruud, Tsitsipas, Kyrgios, Berretini, Tsitsipas, Medvedev, Thiem. One match v Rafa in Paris in 2021 was a full match against an actual player.

Not a weak era at all! :popcorn

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

tented

Administrator
Reactions
With @El Dude & @PhiEaglesfan712 discussing the possibility of Tiafoe or Fritz winning the US Open, I checked the current rankings: there are 11 guys from the US in the Top 100, including two (Tiafoe and Fritz) in the Top 10.

I got so used to Andy Roddick being a steady presence in the Top 10 that it looked weird when he retired and only occasionally would someone from the US get there, and only for a little bit. In retrospect, it shows how consistently highly ranked Roddick was, even though at the time I didn’t think a lot of him because he was always overshadowed by the Big 4.

But with Tiafoe and Fritz in the Top 10, maybe in the next year or so, there will be an American winning a major for the first time in two decades? (Although for now my money will be on Carlos. :lol6:)

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
With @El Dude & @PhiEaglesfan712 discussing the possibility of Tiafoe or Fritz winning the US Open, I checked the current rankings: there are 11 guys from the US in the Top 100, including two (Tiafoe and Fritz) in the Top 10.

I got so used to Andy Roddick being a steady presence in the Top 10 that it looked weird when he retired and only occasionally would someone from the US get there, and only for a little bit. In retrospect, it shows how consistently highly ranked Roddick was, even though at the time I didn’t think a lot of him because he was always overshadowed by the Big 4.

But with Tiafoe and Fritz in the Top 10, maybe in the next year or so, there will be an American winning a major for the first time in two decades? (Although for now my money will be on Carlos. :lol6:)
The kicker is I can see Eubanks defeating either one of them in R3. He may end up the US player w/ the most upswing.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Let’s not wait until Monday. Here’s the top ten:

IMG_0169.jpeg

Reactions: tented and kskate2

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
plus he'll have all that crowd support
Eubanks is a bit of a darling, ATM. If he stays healthy, I love his chances to skip up amongst the Americans and do well. I hope he can ride this wave. Wonder if he's playing Newport.

Reactions: kskate2 and Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Eubanks is a bit of a darling, ATM. If he stays healthy, I love his chances to skip up amongst the Americans and do well. I hope he can ride this wave. Wonder if he's playing Newport.
I think the courts at Cinncy suits Chris as well

Reactions: Moxie

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
He's not. I just checked the draw and he's not in it.

Reactions: Moxie

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
The only reason why I am not yet fully sold on Eubanks is that he is 27 years old. There is no guarantee that he makes another run like that at a slam. The last player to make an unexpected run like that at that age was Aslan Karatsev at the 2021 Australian Open, and he has yet to make it back to the 2nd week of a slam.

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The only reason why I am not yet fully sold on Eubanks is that he is 27 years old. There is no guarantee that he makes another run like that at a slam. The last player to make an unexpected run like that at that age was Aslan Karatsev at the 2021 Australian Open, and he has yet to make it back to the 2nd week of a slam.
Not every player will be an ATG, but some can come to a nice career later. I'm not even saying it'll be a Wawrinka-like late-career, but why not a bit more of a some fun and inspiring tennis before he turns into a full-time commentator, which he's going to be really good at?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

I was hoping the hoopla would be over by now, but I guess some have to see it! I never took Eubanks that seriously! He's having a very nice run and is more than likely just "in the zone!" Do we really think he's going to continue ascending the ranks & stay there? Back in the day there was an actor; Vincent Van Patton that got on a heater and even defeated McEnroe in an exhibition event in Toyko! Borg brought him back to Earth in the final and we never heard from him again; sans his dating of Farrah Fawcett-Majors! :fearful-face: :face-with-hand-over-mouth::face-with-tears-of-joy::yawningface:

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I was hoping the hoopla would be over by now, but I guess some have to see it! I never took Eubanks that seriously! He's having a very nice run and is more than likely just "in the zone!" Do we really think he's going to continue ascending the ranks & stay there? Back in the day there was an actor; Vincent Van Patton that got on a heater and even defeated McEnroe in an exhibition event in Toyko! Borg brought him back to Earth in the final and we never heard from him again; sans his dating of Farrah Fawcett-Majors! :fearful-face: :face-with-hand-over-mouth::face-with-tears-of-joy::yawningface:
And that his uncle was a director on The Sopranos…

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Vince Van Patten! But Fiero, you’re actually selling short his moment of glory, it was an actual ATP tournament, I think it was the Japanese indoor and he beat 3 top 10 players in a row, Jose Luis Clerc, Vitas Geralaitus, and Johhny Mac, then beat Edmundsun in the final. Talk about being in the zone.

I remember as a regular player being in the zone, the ball seems as big as a house and you glide through the court, alas the feeling doesnt last, LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425