The Rankings Thread (ATP)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Seriously, does anyone here NOT look at the ATP live rankings, especially during a big tournament ?!

Its like crack cocaine to me !! ; )
…. Or so I imagine..
Oh yeah, and the live race too. It’s a constant..

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I always wait for any tournament to finish before I post the final rankings, I dont know what the fuss is all about, Yes I understand the live rankings lol!

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
If Carlos wins Queens Club, he will replace Novak as world #1 on Monday. The following Friday Wimbledon’s draw will come out. Would they seed Carlos first or would they choose Novak as their #1 seed for the tournament?

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
. If Carlos wins Queens Club, he will replace Novak as world #1 on Monday. The following Friday Wimbledon’s draw will come out. Will they seed Carlos first or will they choose Novak as their #1 seed for the tournament?
Well Carlos has to win the tournament first, if he wins he will pick up 500 points, that will put him ahead of Novak on 7,675 points, Novak is on 7,595 points at present, I would imagine Alcaraz would be No 1 at Wimbledon if he wins Queens, just my opinion

Last edited:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
If Carlos wins Queens Club, he will replace Novak as world #1 on Monday. The following Friday Wimbledon’s draw will come out. Would they seed Carlos first or would they choose Novak as their #1 seed for the tournament?
According to Wikipedia, “Seedings will be based on ATP rankings as of 26 June 2023.”

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Funny, I was thinking about the rankings today. Not that I knew that #1 and #2 might switch before Wimbledon. Not that it matters much, though I suspect one would rather have Ruud in their half than Medvedev. Rather, I was thinking how Alcaraz is kind of holding up his end as a #1-2. At least so far. Obviously, much was made of how he got to #1 so young, but he's rather holding his own, for a just-barely 20-year-old.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
According to Wikipedia, “Seedings will be based on ATP rankings as of 26 June 2023.”
Oh, but here's a question, and maybe this is @nehmeth's question: has Wimbledon given up their special "grass seedings?"

Reactions: nehmeth

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
From 2021 Championships, seeding for the mens and womens singles are based on world rankings, I found out that info a few minutes ago.
Thanks Margaret… if he wins Queens Carlos gets the #1 seed for Wimbledon. @Moxie, yes. If they still reserved the right to seed according to grass prowess, I’d imagine they may have given the nod to the 7 time champ. But it’s moot.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Thanks Margaret… if he wins Queens Carlos gets the #1 seed for Wimbledon. @Moxie, yes. If they still reserved the right to seed according to grass prowess, I’d imagine they may have given the nod to the 7 time champ. But it’s moot.
No worries

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Still, changing 1 and 2 doesn't mean much. What would matter more if they still gave preferred seedings to players with grass results. Though, I'm not even sure who that is anymore.

Reactions: tented

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Still, changing 1 and 2 doesn't mean much. What would matter more if they still gave preferred seedings to players with grass results. Though, I'm not even sure who that is anymore.
I understand, but if Carlos wins Queens, it does change who both he and Novak will face during their fortnight at SW19. And (for me) that will be interesting to see in terms of matchups that will be and might have been.

Last edited:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I understand, but if Carlos wins Queens, it does change who both he and Novak will face during their fortnight at SW19. And (for me) that will be interesting to see in terms of matchups that will be and might have been.
It doesn’t change anything, though. No. 1 doesn’t automatically face No. 3 or 4. Or anyone else. It’s random. Sure, the seeds are placed in various spots, but it’s a roll of the dice. Being 1 or 2 doesn’t predict anything, other than the fact that they can only meet in the final.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
It doesn’t change anything, though. No. 1 doesn’t automatically face No. 3 or 4. Or anyone else. It’s random. Sure, the seeds are placed in various spots, but it’s a roll of the dice. Being 1 or 2 doesn’t predict anything, other than the fact that they can only meet in the final.

Have people forgotten a grass calculation which goes back a yr. or 2! By Novak winning the last 4 Wimbledons, he'll get a bonus # of points! :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Wimbledon stopped doing that a few years ago. They go strictly by ATP rankings now, just like every other major.

That shows I'm slowly drifting away from tennis! Wow! I really wonder will I care at all if Novak retires? I'm interested in Carlos, Sinner, & Rune, but if they can't stay healthy & win, I might start wandering the desert like I did during that boring era of Fedal winning everything 15 years ago! Novak brought me back to break up their monopoly! IMO, the women's game still hasn't recovered totally since the days of Hingis & Henin! Was hoping Osaka & Barty would lead the way, but they're gone! IGA might do it for me, but it's too early to tell! :pleading-face: :anxious-face-with-sweat::face-with-tears-of-joy::face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Last edited:
Reactions: tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes, but it wouldn't be only 1 & 2 that change at the top. IF Carlos doesn't win Queens, someone else will, and their ranking will change, so the draw would actually be different. (And there are several top players still in the draw there, so change the outcome in London, you actually change a lot of significance.) I know the temptation is there, to think of the other draw as a "what if," but it's also not like #3 and #4 are the biggest or only threats in the draw. Until the draw is made, if you change one thing, you change everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: nehmeth and tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That shows I'm slowly drifting away from tennis! Wow! I really wonder will I care t all if Novak retires? I'm interested in Carlos, Sinner, & Rune, but if they can't stay healthy & win, I might start wandering the desert like I did during that boring era of Fedal winning everything 15 years ago! Novak brought me back to break up their monopoly! IMO, the women's game still hasn't recovered totally since the days of Hingis & Henin! Was hoping Osaka & Barty would lead the way, but they're gone! IGA might do it for me, but it's too early to tell!
I will never understand this reasoning you keep using for your adoption of Novak as your champion. It was boring for me, personally, when Roger won everything, but then we got Rafa, and we got a rivalry. Which added Novak and even Murray for a while. That was many years ago. It was only a few years of just Fedal. Novak joined full blast 12 years ago. I suppose no grudge is too old for you hang onto. But so now we have Novak alone winning "everything," but that doesn't bore you. In fact, Novak has won most things of the past decade, no? But that doesn't bore you. I don't get it, or, realistically, I don't believe that's it.

Reactions: El Dude

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I will never understand this reasoning you keep using for your adoption of Novak as your champion. It was boring for me, personally, when Roger won everything, but then we got Rafa, and we got a rivalry. Which added Novak and even Murray for a while. That was many years ago. It was only a few years of just Fedal. Novak joined full blast 12 years ago. I suppose no grudge is too old for you hang onto. But so now we have Novak alone winning "everything," but that doesn't bore you. In fact, Novak has won most things of the past decade, no? But that doesn't bore you. I don't get it, or, realistically, I don't believe that's it.
The Big Three are like Boomers in politics. Go away, already!