The Rankings Thread (ATP)

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What are the chances that Nadal reclaims the no.1 spot in the upcoming months and finishes the year at no.1? I think Medvedev for example has a lot more points to defend? Who else can stand in his way?

tented

Administrator
Reactions
What are the chances that Nadal reclaims the no.1 spot in the upcoming months and finishes the year at no.1? I think Medvedev for example has a lot more points to defend? Who else can stand in his way?
Here is the singles race:

E57ECA2E-A147-4CF2-9D6A-0A1C76A7B8F1.jpeg

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Good luck to Sinner as I hope that we are heading towards a Khachanov vs Tiafoe/Sinner final. Nadal deserves to be no.1 at the end of the USO as he has won 2 slams and battled so many injuries costing him many points.
Well even if he does get number 1 he may not keep it if he doesn’t play the fall schedule given how close things are now. If Ruud or Alcaraz or even Medvedev go on a tear, he would lose it quickly probably.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Good luck to Sinner as I hope that we are heading towards a Khachanov vs Tiafoe/Sinner final. Nadal deserves to be no.1 at the end of the USO as he has won 2 slams and battled so many injuries costing him many points.
No one deserves to be anything. See what happens when you wish for someone to lose? Your fave is dismissed early. Points are earned, not given. Nads had the opportunity to wrap up the #1 ranking on his own deal this summer. He didn't play Canada, got blindsided early at Cinci and then got booted out of here before the Quarters.

• Wow
Reactions: Nadalfan2013

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well even if he does get number 1 he may not keep it if he doesn’t play the fall schedule given how close things are now. If Ruud or Alcaraz or even Medvedev go on a tear, he would lose it quickly probably.

I’m sure if he gets to number one after the USO it will motivated him to play a little bit more to keep it and get the year end number one. But if Ruud or Alcaraz get it then maybe he will be like “Meh, let me take a break”.

But either way just the fact that he would get to number one at 36 years old would be epic even if only for a few weeks.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No one deserves to be anything. See what happens when you wish for someone to lose? Your fave is dismissed early. Points are earned, not given. Nads had the opportunity to wrap up the #1 ranking on his own deal this summer. He didn't play Canada, got blindsided early at Cinci and then got booted out of here before the Quarters.

Opportunity this summer? He was coming back from injury and was clearly flat. :facepalm: It’s a joke when Casper Ruud can just make the final and lose it and get to number one with zero slams and just being average. Nadal was GOATing throughout the year and his only problem was injuries whether it’s the ribs or the abs which both cost him to miss several tournaments and also lose the momentum. Anyways if Nadal doesn’t get the number one after the US open hopefully it’s because Alcaraz or Ruud actually “win” the US open and not just make the final cause it wouldn’t look good.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Opportunity this summer? He was coming back from injury and was clearly flat. :facepalm: It’s a joke when Casper Ruud can just make the final and lose it and get to number one with zero slams and just being average. Nadal was GOATing throughout the year and his only problem was injuries whether it’s the ribs or the abs. Anyways if Nadal doesn’t get the number one after the US open hopefully it’s because Alcaraz or Ruud actually “win” the US open and not just make the final cause it wouldn’t look good.
I think we are all hoping that if Ruud or Alcaraz get to number 1 it’s because they won this slam.

Reactions: Nadalfan2013

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Opportunity this summer? He was coming back from injury and was clearly flat. :facepalm: It’s a joke when Casper Ruud can just make the final and lose it and get to number one with zero slams and just being average. Nadal was GOATing throughout the year and his only problem was injuries whether it’s the ribs or the abs which both cost him to miss several tournaments and also lose the momentum. Anyways if Nadal doesn’t get the number one after the US open hopefully it’s because Alcaraz or Ruud actually “win” the US open and not just make the final cause it wouldn’t look good.
So you denigrate your idol w/ talk like that. Maybe you've forgotten but Casper made a slam final already this year and he's been pretty consistent in the masters events. Again, points are earned. And like Sunday said we are all hoping Charlie or Casper will reach #1 because they won the title. In fact, it would actually be an ideal final if both got there and they had to dual for 5 sets to determine who is a maiden slam winner and world #1.

It's no joke. The tour is in this boat because points weren't awarded at Wimby and the Russians were kept from competing in the UK grass season.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So how much $$$ do y'all think Nadal's people are offering Ruud and Alcaraz to tank?
I really don't think Rafa cares much about the #1. He's #6 on the all-time list, which is good, but he needs 70 more weeks to pass Connors. Never going to happen, so not worth caring about. And he won't get it back this coming week, anyway, given Ruud. YE#1 is still a possibility, I think.

Reactions: tented

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I really don't think Rafa cares much about the #1. He's #6 on the all-time list, which is good, but he needs 70 more weeks to pass Connors. Never going to happen, so not worth caring about. And he won't get it back this coming week, anyway, given Ruud. YE#1 is still a possibility, I think.
Hi Moxie! I think you know I was just joking around. It is a weird thing, though, to see this:

Of all the non-Medvedian Next Genners, I wouldn't have expected Casper Ruud to be the next guy to reach #1. Of course he still has to beat that Garfia boy, but at least he's got the live #1 for a few hours...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hi Moxie! I think you know I was just joking around. It is a weird thing, though, to see this:

Of all the non-Medvedian Next Genners, I wouldn't have expected Casper Ruud to be the next guy to reach #1. Of course he still has to beat that Garfia boy, but at least he's got the live #1 for a few hours...
Hey, Dude! I knew it was a joke about the bribe, but at least one Rafa fan around here was rooting against Alcaraz for the sake of the #1, so I thought it worth pointing out that no one really cares.

It is a sign of the times and a function of Wimbledon being so weird this year, (no points, no Russians or Belarussians) that makes Ruud #1, if only on live scores for now. I actually think the answer will be Alcaraz, which will also be surprising. Let's see what Sunday brings, I guess. Or tonight.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Not since the days of Sampras and Agassi,One country had their top two countrymen rank One and Two. Congratulations to Spain and the two top ranked players .

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Not since the days of Sampras & Agassi, One country had their top two countrymen ranked #1 & #2. Congrats to Spain & the 2 top ranked players .

Ferrer had a chance to get there, but couldn't get over the hump when it came to the Big 3! Then there was Stan "The Man!" He stopped Roger from getting a Monte Carlo Masters victory! His highlites center around success against Novak in 3 majors! Got to a high of #3 OTTH! Novak looks to have some good players backing him up in Serbia, but their consistency comes into play! They may never get to the top 10! End RANT! :astonished-face::fearful-face:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Not since the days of Sampras and Agassi,One country had their top two countrymen rank One and Two. Congratulations to Spain and the two top ranked players .

That is very exciting! Enhorabuena, chicos!

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
As I said in the WTF thread, with Rafa's second RR loss today, Carlos Alcaraz is officially the year-end #1. Congrats to the kid! Not only youngest #1 in the ATP era, but youngest year-end #1...only 19 year old to do it.