The Rankings Thread (ATP)

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
Who the fuck likes Murray?! A handful of people. His comment was laughable at the time and still is. A few funny comments by him on social media can't make up for his behaviour on court. He makes Rosol look like Mother Teresa.
really dumb post by you Andy murray has millions fans around the world and 55 million in England which is a lot more than hand fill, do you even know numbers maths ect?, work on your troll game man then go watch murray beat federer in straight sets in olympics 2012. also out of all the big 3 Federer is the one he played the best against with a close 11-14 h2h] nadal 17-7 djokovic 25-11 h2h both owned murray at least with federer he made it close overall.

Last edited:
Reactions: the AntiPusher

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
really dumb post by you Andy murray has millions fans around the world and 55 million in England which is a lot more than hand fill, do you even know numbers maths ect?, work on your troll game man then go watch murray beat federer in straight sets in olympics 2012. also out of all the big 3 Federer is the one he played the best against with a close 11-14 h2h] nadal 17-7 djokovic 25-11 h2h both owned murray at least with federer he made it close overall.

Go back and watch Murray cry at Wimbledon 2012 and just by the way, genius, numbers mean nothing in life except there are tons of people who like different things and people. Justin Bieber has millions of fans but I personally think he's complete shit. Why then would I give a toss if he has millions of fans and same with Murray? Lots of people like shit music and lots of people like people others can't stand. That's how life goes.

Btw the whole of England don't all support or like Andy Murray. If you've ever been to the WTF or watched Murray play Federer, the crowd are massively pro Federer.

Reactions: mrzz

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Go back and watch Murray cry at Wimbledon 2012 and just by the way, genius, numbers mean nothing in life except there are tons of people who like different things and people. Justin Bieber has millions of fans but I personally think he's complete shit. Why then would I give a toss if he has millions of fans and same with Murray? Lots of people like shit music and lots of people like people others can't stand. That's how life goes.

Btw the whole of England don't all support or like Andy Murray. If you've ever been to the WTF or watched Murray play Federer, the crowd are massively pro Federer.
Speaking of Murray, he said he will be back for Miami..I am surprised, I thought he would play on clay which would be easier on his body.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions

so you don't great players like Andy murray whos really good to watch and humble person fine, still Federer did the worst against him out of all the big 3. by the way I never said all of England like murray I said 55 million which is not all of England air head much?

Mile

Masters Champion
Reactions
Yes, Murray will make comeback this year. Also, i know he is Scottish. He was also weaving with their flag, not English or UK. I think there is option Scotland will cede sooner or later. Similar was with that F1 driver, Coulthard i think. Always with Scottish flag. He was part of documentary about "Braveheart".

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
On another thread, @Nadal goat2 was championing Medevev for getting to #1 before too long. Thought I would bring that conversation over here. I agree that it is pretty hard to discuss, since I don't know if any of us really understands how the points system is working right now, or even into next year. (Any insights/explanations welcomed.) Plus, I don't think we can be sure of how many more tournaments will be played this year, or what goes on with early next year, in terms of tournaments and participation.

But on the topic of Medvedev and #1, I went to the live rankings thread, where I see he has a fairly long road, still. However, I did notice that if Thiem should win the USO, he'd only be 725 points behind Rafa for #2, and about 1800 behind Novak for #1. Of the options for "next new #1," doesn't it seem like Thiem is the most likely? This is a screen shot of the rankings as of today:

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 6.31.42 PM.png

Reactions: Jelenafan

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Yes, Thiem seems the most likely to be the next #1. The way I understand ranking points is as follows: whatever a player earns this year is a bonus. Points are added and subtracted starting January 1 as though 2020 never happened. For example, someone earned 100 points at USO 2019 and 50 points at USO 2020. 150 points will be stripped just before USO 2021. This doesn’t seem fair to some players, but there is no fair way to do this so it is what it is. This does guarantee Djoke will get the record for most weeks at #1.

Michael;Kiwi

Futures Player
Reactions
It doesn't work exactly like that. You get to take the best result at a tournament from either 2019 or 2020, but not both. Starting in March 2021 your best result from either year (whichever it was) will go away.

Reactions: Moxie

Michael;Kiwi

Futures Player
Reactions
I still think it's going to be a long time until someone new gets to number one. If it happens soon it will be Thiem. However, if it is in a few years, I might bet on Medvedev. I don't feel like any of the young guys can hit through him right now. As a result, I think he'll have very consistent results over the next few years.

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It doesn't work exactly like that. You get to take the best result at a tournament from either 2019 or 2020, but not both. Starting in March 2021 your best result from either year (whichever it was) will go away.

Actually, it starts January 2021. So basically if COVID does not the affect the ATP Tour in 2021, then it will return to the 52 week system. For example: Djokovic will defend 2000 points for winning the 2020 Australian Open. If he actually does not play 2021 Australian Open, then he will actually lose 2,000 points. Now, it is assuming the Australian Open will not be postponed in 2021.

Reactions: Moxie

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
They should just use UTR to rank players. It’s not a perfect system, but it’s more accurate than points.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
They should just use UTR to rank players. It’s not a perfect system, but it’s more accurate than points.
Clearly UTR has been pushing for that, since the had their own exho tour this summer.

Reactions: 10isfan

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
I thought you were the person championing Medvedev for next #1.
I was championing medvedev but thiem beating Medvedev in the semi finals showed me that a fool I been thinking this way, its clear thiem now better player at least right now, so going to be world number NO.1 Now.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I was championing medvedev but thiem beating Medvedev in the semi finals showed me that a fool I been thinking this way, its clear thiem now better player at least right now, so going to be world number NO.1 Now.
That, and the rankings points. This win puts Thiem within 725 points of Nadal for #2, but he has a lot to defend, coming up. However that works. And whatever else gets played the rest of the year.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
That, and the rankings points. This win puts Thiem within 725 points of Nadal for #2, but he has a lot to defend, coming up. However that works. And whatever else gets played the rest of the year.
I mean its going to be close for #2 rest of season, Nadal keeps his points at RG Rome win or lose so that does thiem have to do overtake Nadal?