The Rankings Thread (ATP)

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
does anyone know on the day of AO semi, It's $400 plus for mens and $70 for women per ticket. Equal prize money? just doesn't justify.

Reactions: Front242

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
That's exactly what I took from him initially. And it's not like I don't like a Russian (#Safin,) But there's nothing about his game that inspires me.

Well, I tend to feel that liking a player is sort of like falling in love: it isn't a choice. I mean, we can intellectually like players - we can appreciate their talent and how they play the game. But who becomes our favorite(s) is out of our control.

Reactions: Jelenafan and Moxie

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
does it look like anyone care what inspires you? or what turns you on? I know what does, oh oh oh give me more sexist talk pls oh oh oh

1580841083980.png

Reactions: Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, I tend to feel that liking a player is sort of like falling in love: it isn't a choice. I mean, we can intellectually like players - we can appreciate their talent and how they play the game. But who becomes our favorite(s) is out of our control.

So true, there isn’t always a rational reason why we become fans of certain players. The issue is when we are incredulous why others don’t like the same player.

It’s rarely “logical”.

Reactions: Moxie and El Dude

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

That may be true. But, I always hate a player for specific reasons. :smiling-face-with-horns:

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I totally agree with your statement here.
And probably for similar reason you like Rublev, I don't like him. If there was a "quintessential" ball basher, than he is the one.
I see no finesse whatsoever there, just "punishing" the ball at every opportunity.
And it may be fun for you to watch him, but I found no enjoyment in that.
Besides, I recognize his improvement and consistency lately. Those 2 small events titles back to back leading up to AO are outstanding.

Reactions: Fiero425

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I totally agree with your statement here.
And probably for similar reason you like Rublev, I don't like him. If there was a "quintessential" ball basher, than he is the one.
I see no finesse whatsoever there, just "punishing" the ball at every opportunity.
And it may be fun for you to watch him, but I found no enjoyment in that.
Besides, I recognize his improvement and consistency lately. Those 2 small events titles back to back leading up to AO are outstanding.

Yeah, I hear you. I mostly agree with your assessment and prefer more finesse, but that's my point: I like Rublev because I like Rublev, not because I like all of the components of his game. That said, I do enjoy watching him hit the crap out of the ball. And I do think he's a bit more than a ball basher (although not much more).

In a way he reminds me a bit of Dominic Thiem, and I suppose Thiem represents his upside, in the same way that Safin/Wawrinka represents Thiem's upside.

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Totally agree with this, like others have said. It takes a kind of falling in love to become a diehard fan. And it's what you want...it makes the game matter. So different from just "appreciating" someone's game, or feeling like you ought to like them. Likewise I get GSM's comment about hating a player "for specific reasons." (Which was funny and true.) They do something we never forgive, or, more likely, they are the rival of our favorite and we attribute all sorts of heinous things to them, fairly or not, those, the truly hated ones. But sometimes we don't like a player's style, or we just don't like the cut of their jib. Occasionally, taking a dislike to a player is as quixotic as taking a special fancy.

Reactions: Bonaca

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Didn’t realize only 325 points separate Novak and Rafa.

Going to be an interesting spring/summer. First clay court season where Rafa can add considerable points before RG.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
So Nadal can get number one back if Djokovic loses early in Dubai and he wins Mexico

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
New career high (February 10):

26. Cristian Garin 23y
45. Casper Ruud 21y
71. Egor Gherasimov 27y
93. Andrej Martin 30y

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Didn’t realize only 325 points separate Novak and Rafa.

Going to be an interesting spring/summer. First clay court season where Rafa can add considerable points before RG.

Rafa's still defending more points than Djokovic early on! Since Nole went out early in both IW & Miami, he might stretch his lead before FO! :D

Reactions: Bonaca

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa's still defending more points than Djokovic early on! Since Nole went out early in both IW & Miami, he might stretch his lead before FO! :D
True that Novak did pretty crap after AO last year until he won Madrid, but who knows? He might be really crap again! :lulz1:

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It will be interesting to see on how Djokovic will view the upcoming Spring hardcourt and Clay court season before RG. He definitely wants to keep the number 1 ranking because he is close to surpassing Federer's record. At the same token, he wants to keeps his body fresh for Roland Garros, Wimbledon and Summer Olympics.

As for Nadal, I really hope he does not play Acapulco and just play (and hopefully win) Indian Wells. No need to over exert yourself when you can just win Masters 1000/Slams and gain a lot of points.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
New career high on Feb. 17, 2020:

14. Andrey Rublev 22y
25. Cristian Garin 23y
31. Dan Evans 29y
34. Casper Ruud 21y
68. Janick Sinner 18y
71. James Duckworth 28y

Reactions: tented

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Who the fuck likes Murray?! A handful of people. His comment was laughable at the time and still is. A few funny comments by him on social media can't make up for his behaviour on court. He makes Rosol look like Mother Teresa.