The Rankings Thread (ATP)

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
In live rankings, Fed is #2 at the moment with a 5 point lead over Ralph.

This means whoever goes farther in RG between the two is likely to end up as #2 after RG (assuming RG is won by Fedalovic).

Most likely this will be settled by a direct match between them in SF.

You started drinking early MATE? This is crazy talk IMO; Fed doing better on clay or both making the SF is just plain ….. :whistle: :nono: :cuckoo: o_O

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
^I don't give Roger much of a chance against Nadal at RG, but he does have a good chance of reaching the SF.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
^I don't give Roger much of a chance against Nadal at RG, but he does have a good chance of reaching the SF.

Why? In the 2 preceding Masters he got to the QF! Why in the world would he have a better chance in a clay major; because of BO5 & more time to get out of trouble? I think not! I wouldn't be surprised if he was eliminated before the 4th Rd. without even looking at his draw! Time waits for no man and I think Fed's just about run out of it; esp. on clay! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead: :cuckoo: :eek: :ptennis:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fed actually has a really good draw up to the QF. Things could have been much more difficult. His first 2 rounds are a complete joke. 3rd round Ruud/Beretinni is nothing to be afraid of, but let's say a first real test where he could maybe loose a set. Then possibly Schwartzman, a guy who never beat Fed in 4 attempts. That is a good draw and Schwartzman was looking better last year. Fed should go.l through, but on the given day if Shortman is on fire he could take him down and I wouldn't be surprised.

Then QF what looks to be Tsitsipas. I don't know, I watched highlights of the greek beating Nadal in Madrid. That was insane level of tennis. Not sure that Fed can play that good at the moment.

Reactions: Fiero425

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Berrettini will be a tough opponent for Fed in 3rd round. He is 23 years old. He won Hungarian Clay Open and then followed it up by reaching the final of Munich and most recently upset Sasha in Rome. However, I do think Fed will come through.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes, Berretini-Schwartzman-Tsitsipas could be a rough stretch, but the operative phrase is good chance, meaning he could beat all of those guys. I would say he should beat Berretini and Diego, but Tsitsipas is (obviously) trickier. I would give Roger about a 40/60 chance of beating Tsitsipas, at least as of now. Let's see how the next couple matches play out.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I'd love it to happen so Roger can justify his moniker of "The GOAT!" He's been literally owned by Nadal; esp. on clay so I'm hopeful! :rolleyes:

To be GOAT a player doesn't have to be the best player of all time on every surface - we'll probably never see that. Roger is probably the greatest grass player ever, one of the two greatest hard-court players (along with Novak), and certainly no slouch on clay - just not one of the very best. But you can't penalize him for being second fiddle to Rafa during his prime, when he played in five RG finals. Only two players have played in more RG finals:

11 Nadal
7 Borg
5 Vilas, Lendl, Wilander, Federer

Losing to Rafa in four RG finals is hardly a damning feat.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Nothing like cold hard facts to scare him away. Both have won RG once and Federer has been in more finals than Djokovic who has never got to match point against prime Nadal in best of 5 on clay but Federer had 2 match points in Rome 2006, one of the best clay matches of all time.

When Djokovic beat Nadal in 2015, Nadal was losing to everyone but Novak has never come within sniffing distance of beating prime Nadal on clay in best of 5.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
2013 RG SF: 6-4, 3-6, 6-1, 6-7(3), 9-7 — Rafa’s second time having to go five at RG.

Rafa fans do have that problem; never seeing a negative when it really isn't a negative! Rafa won the fk'n match, but that wasn't good enough for them! They have to muse that no one has ever come close to beating their guy unless there's trouble at home or he's injured! (YAWN) :facepalm: :nono: :banghead: :cuckoo: :cry: :eek: :ptennis:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Rafa fans do have that problem; never seeing a negative when it really isn't a negative! Rafa won the fk'n match, but that wasn't good enough for them! They have to muse that no one has ever come close to beating their guy unless there's trouble at home or he's injured! (YAWN) :facepalm: :nono: :banghead: :cuckoo: :cry: :eek: :ptennis:

That’s not what I’m implying here. Both were fine, and played a long, competitive match. It could have gone either way, with 9-7 in the 5th.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree, but some 'A-H' mentioned no one coming close to beating Rafa on clay in BO5! That was a lie and you nailed them! Thx! :whistle::p :rolleyes:

No it wasn't. I repeat, Djokovic never got to match point in best of 5 against prime Nadal on clay. Federer had 2 match points in Rome 2006 and masters finals were best of 5 back then. 9-7 in the 5th is all fine and well but Djokovic never reached match point.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No it wasn't. I repeat, Djokovic never got to match point in best of 5 against prime Nadal on clay. Federer had 2 match points in Rome 2006 and masters finals were best of 5 back then. 9-7 in the 5th is all fine and well but Djokovic never reached match point.
Why is a match point so important?

There are crutial points in these kind of matches which turn the match around and they are not match points, but certainly give a feeling like it is a match point.

I can remember in this 9:7 epic in the 5th set when Novak touched the net in that long game when I think he was a break up, needed to confirm

In AO epic final in 2012, Rafa was a break up in 5th and missed that easy shot when serving on 30:15. If he confirmed the break there I don't think Novak would come back.

Also in Wimbledon last year, one point, and it was't a matchpoint.

I just want to say that matchpoint is not so relevant in how someone came close to winning.

Reactions: Fiero425 and tented

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Why is a match point so important?

There are crutial points in these kind of matches which turn the match around and they are not match points, but certainly give a feeling like it is a match point.

I can remember in this 9:7 epic in the 5th set when Novak touched the net in that long game when I think he was a break up, needed to confirm

In AO epic final in 2012, Rafa was a break up in 5th and missed that easy shot when serving on 30:15. If he confirmed the break there I don't think Novak would come back.

Also in Wimbledon last year, one point, and it was't a matchpoint.

I just want to say that matchpoint is not so relevant in how someone came close to winning.

It's only relevant if Nadal does it; didn't you know? If Nadal gets close to beating Nole in a meaningful match it's all a positive; NOT! :whistle: :rolleyes:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Just checked the live rankings and it's amusing to see Nadal lose his 2000 points from last season and is now behind Roger temp. until the tourney is done! Perseus also jumped over Zverev & Thiem; now #4 for a while! This tourney is crucial to just about everyone; more so for Djokovic who's going for another "Nole-Slam!" :whistle: :yesyes: :p :rolleyes: :ptennis:

Reactions: don_fabio

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Just checked the live rankings and it's amusing to see Nadal lose his 2000 points from last season and is now behind Roger temp. until the tourney is done! Perseus also jumped over Zverev & Thiem; now #4 for a while! This tourney is crucial to just about everyone; more so for Djokovic who's going for another "Nole-Slam!" :whistle: :yesyes: :p :rolleyes: :ptennis:

I’ve wondered if part of his strategy/reason for coming to Paris is getting seeded No. 2 for Wimbledon. I’m not good enough at the math to figure it out, but it would be interesting to find out what would be the minimum needed for Roger to overtake Rafa.

Reactions: Fiero425

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

This is what I posted here recently which presumably you did not understand despite reading it and commenting on it. :facepalm:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I’ve wondered if part of his strategy/reason for coming to Paris is getting seeded No. 2 for Wimbledon. I’m not good enough at the math to figure it out, but it would be interesting to find out what would be the minimum needed for Roger to overtake Rafa.

I already said how this works out. Assuming one of Fedalovic wins the RG title whoever goes farther at RG between Roger and Ralph would be ranked higher than the other. It looks to be the case that Fedal 39 would happen here and so that match will decide.

Reactions: tented