The Rankings Thread (ATP)

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
When FAA puts on a few more he will be a force too. He has a lot to build on.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Can you please enlighten me who that is? I am not sure if it was mentioned a few days ago, I might have missed it, but I still can't connect this nickname to anyone.

Fabulous Fabio Fognini.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
@rafanoy1992 posted something on the Rome final thread and I thought it got lost a bit in the fray: This week Rafa passes Roger on the list of most consecutive weeks in the Top 10, now second only behind Connors. Rafa with 735, Connors 788. If Rafa stays in the Top 10 for the next 1 year +2 weeks, he passes even Connors for the most of all time. (He also posted that Rafa has reached #1 of most consecutive seasons having won a title...16.) Thanks, Rafanoy1992!

Last edited:

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well, me too. As much as I like to throw him in a conversation I am aware that he might not end up doing that great. I get emotional, like the other day he played against Fed, I just have to cheer for him.

He looks more of a hard worker than what people call a real talent and I am hoping that at some point in his career that hard work will pay off and he gets a slam. He did took out Fed, Nadal and Murray, altough all of them were not close to their best, but is promising.

I have a same conservative feeling about Shapovalov. I am not convinced yet, but when I see someone like Tsitsipas I just say this is a champion and I have no doubts.
Despite being Canadian, I am also less optimistic regarding Shapovalov. He is still very young though, just 20 and seems to hold his ground in the top 25. But clearly not anywhere close to Tsitsipas.

Reactions: Fiero425

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Despite being Canadian, I am also less optimistic regarding Shapovalov. He is still very young though, just 20 and seems to hold his ground in the top 25. But clearly not anywhere close to Tsitsipas.

FAA generates more optimism than Shapovalov as well. I agree that Denis is holding his ground in the top 25, but his career-high was 25, whereas I suspect FAA will surpass that, if not get into the top 10.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa's consistent showing in the top 10 has a lot to do with his ability to be healthy for the clay season. His bread and butter has been five tournaments: Roland Garros, the three clay Masters, and Barcelona. From 2005 to the present, he has only missed one of them once: Barcelona in 2010. The point being, despite having a variety of injuries over the years, he has always managed to play the clay season.

That's 5,500 available points in those five tournaments; it takes about 3,000 to be in the top 10 in most years, so his consistency on clay alone has kept him in. Even in his worst clay years he still managed 1500+ points, and picked up enough elsewhere to sneak in (e.g. 2016, when he finished the year #9). In his best years he won 5000 points in those five tournaments, enough to finish in the top 5 just on those alone.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
FAA generates more optimism than Shapovalov as well. I agree that Denis is holding his ground in the top 25, but his career-high was 25, whereas I suspect FAA will surpass that, if not get into the top 10.

You are too modest. FAA will be #1 for nine years and win 27 Slams.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa's consistent showing in the top 10 has a lot to do with his ability to be healthy for the clay season. His bread and butter has been five tournaments: Roland Garros, the three clay Masters, and Barcelona. From 2005 to the present, he has only missed one of them once: Barcelona in 2010. The point being, despite having a variety of injuries over the years, he has always managed to play the clay season.

That's 5,500 available points in those five tournaments; it takes about 3,000 to be in the top 10 in most years, so his consistency on clay alone has kept him in. Even in his worst clay years he still managed 1500+ points, and picked up enough elsewhere to sneak in (e.g. 2016, when he finished the year #9). In his best years he won 5000 points in those five tournaments, enough to finish in the top 5 just on those alone.
Thanks for explaining how Nadal managed to stay in the top 10. He managed to stay healthy in the clay season. For a guy who likes stats and tries to be above the fray, you might have been nicer about these 2. Just saying.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Thanks for explaining how Nadal managed to stay in the top 10. He managed to stay healthy in the clay season. For a guy who likes stats and tries to be above the fray, you might have been nicer about these 2. Just saying.

ffs-gif-2.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: tented

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
New career high on May 27:

16. Nikoloz Basilashvilli 27y
22. Felix Auger-Aliassime 18y
40. Radu Albot. 29y

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
In live rankings, Fed is #2 at the moment with a 5 point lead over Ralph.

This means whoever goes farther in RG between the two is likely to end up as #2 after RG (assuming RG is won by Fedalovic).

Most likely this will be settled by a direct match between them in SF.