The Rankings Thread (ATP)

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
In other words, 15% of the players in the top 100 hit a new career high — that’s awesome.

I’m encouraged by a majority of them being younger (18-23), but also have a ton of respect for guys like Basilashvili, Fucsovics, and Pella (27-28) still showing a desire to improve.

In fairness to Marton, he just plays tennis for the Fucsovics:D

Reactions: tented

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
In other words, 15% of the players in the top 100 hit a new career high — that’s awesome.

I’m encouraged by a majority of them being younger (18-23), but also have a ton of respect for guys like Basilashvili, Fucsovics, and Pella (27-28) still showing a desire to improve.
Rare to have so many reaching new career high concurrently. This happened last week too, when was also a lot of movement. Another sign that some shake up is happening.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The best thing is Roger went back up by four spots to no. 4. Things seeming normal.
For you, as a fan, obviously, but I respectfully beg to differ that that was the best thing compared to how many players hit a new career high, this week. Major shake-up in the ranks, right?

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Rare to have so many reaching new career high concurrently. This happened last week too, when was also a lot of movement. Another sign that some shake up is happening.

Usually during the spate of tournaments between the AO and Indian Wells the lesser players have the opportunity to make advancements. After Miami and until Monte Carlo/Madrid there's another opportunity. This is how it is throughout the season between the Majors and the Masters. It is good news that the kids are making inroads.

Still, Djokovic/Nadal hold 65 Masters 1000 titles which is more than all the active players combined - at 55! Roger's 27 titles account for almost half of that total! Subtract Murray's 14 titles and that "55" drops to just 14 titles won by the other active players. Lastly, how many Majors have the active players not named Federer, Nadal or Djokovic won? :scratch:(8 out of 60 - 3 each Murray/Wawrinka 1 each DelPo/Cilic)

Well and good to applaud the baby steps being made, but that's really what they are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fiero425 and mrzz

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
These people making rational comments are just unbearable.
They do, don't they? No matter the status quo, last year IW + Miami happened to be won by unconventional first time winners JMDP and Isner. So, you never know.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
They do, don't they? No matter the status quo, last year IW + Miami happened to be won by unconventional first time winners JMDP and Isner. So, you never know.

Truly, you never know herios. Yet with Djokovic and Nadal healthy and Federer still playing well (compared to the rest), do you have a high expectation that last year’s surprises will repeat?

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Truly, you never know herios. Yet with Djokovic and Nadal healthy and Federer still playing well (compared to the rest), do you have a high expectation that last year’s surprises will repeat?

I am expecting 5 masters to be clinched by non Fedalovic players this year
Juan"ll slip after IW, 2000 pts less
You meant 100 I guess

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I am expecting 5 masters to be clinched by non Fedalovic players this year

That would be nice but that would mean Fedalovic win only 4, which is hard to imagine.

You meant 100 I guess

You mean 1000, I guess ;). But yeah, Delpo is down to #8 in the live rankings. He could fall further depending upon how Isner, Tsitsipas, and Cilic do.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Usually during the spate of tournaments between the AO and Indian Wells the lesser players have the opportunity to make advancements. After Miami and until Monte Carlo/Madrid there's another opportunity. This is how it is throughout the season between the Majors and the Masters. It is good news that the kids are making inroads.

Still, Djokovic/Nadal hold 65 Masters 1000 titles which is more than all the active players combined - at 55! Roger's 27 titles account for almost half of that total! Subtract Murray's 14 titles and that "55" drops to just 14 titles won by the other active players. Lastly, how many Majors have the active players not named Federer, Nadal or Djokovic won? :scratch:(8 out of 60 - 3 each Murray/Wawrinka 1 each DelPo/Cilic)

Well and good to applaud the baby steps being made, but that's really what they are.
I still think this year looks different, in terms of sea-change. It's not just the odd also-ran and medium level clay-courters that won tournaments or made in-roads, in the usual ho-hum. Tsitsipas has gone from someone that we'd never really heard of to beating Roger and otherwise making finals in 1+ year and is now at #10. That's kind of a Nadal-like rise, for the youngster. Londero went from nowhere to win a title. FAA is starting to realize potential. Kyrgios held his head together in a tough draw, which has to scare everyone. (I know, I know...who knows what comes next, with him.) Djere stepped up a bit, and Dellien made a bit of a name for himself. I won't go on, but a lot of this group is young, and they've done more than just win a round. I'd say it's more than "baby steps." Though we shall see how they step up in the M1000s.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I still think this year looks different, in terms of sea-change. It's not just the odd also-ran and medium level clay-courters that won tournaments or made in-roads, in the usual ho-hum. Tsitsipas has gone from someone that we'd never really heard of to beating Roger and otherwise making finals in 1+ year and is now at #10. That's kind of a Nadal-like rise, for the youngster. Londero went from nowhere to win a title. FAA is starting to realize potential. Kyrgios held his head together in a tough draw, which has to scare everyone. (I know, I know...who knows what comes next, with him.) Djere stepped up a bit, and Dellien made a bit of a name for himself. I won't go on, but a lot of this group is young, and they've done more than just win a round. I'd say it's more than "baby steps." Though we shall see how they step up in the M1000s.

Comparatively, winning a round would be like a baby rolling over onto his stomach. No Major titles won by any active player who is under 30 (Cilic’s 30th was last year I believe). Murray, Fed, Djokovic, Nadal account for 106 Masters crowns to 14 for everyone else. I think I was being gracious in considering these recent results from the younger players.

It is good to be hopeful. Some of these guys show promise. I don’t see any phenoms out there like a Nadal, a Djokovic or a Murray. One day the old guard will be so long in the tooth, the change will come. I just don’t see anyone who can step up and take it from them, in my opinion.

Last edited:

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
That would be nice but that would mean Fedalovic win only 4, which is hard to imagine.

You mean 1000, I guess ;). But yeah, Delpo is down to #8 in the live rankings. He could fall further depending upon how Isner, Tsitsipas, and Cilic do.
Of course I meant 1000.
Regarding the ratio between Fedalovic and the rest of the pack:
In both 2017 and 2018 the non Fedalovic crowd pocketed 4 masters, so 5 this year for them is only one more, which is not inconceivable.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Comparatively, winning a round would be like a baby rolling over onto his stomach. No Major titles won by any active player who is under 30 (Cilic’s 30th was last year I believe). Murray, Fed, Djokovic, Nadal account for 106 Masters crowns to 14 for everyone else. I think I was being gracious in considering these recent results from the younger players.

It is good to be hopeful. Some of these guys show promise. I don’t see any phenoms out there like a Nadal, a Djokovic or a Murray. One day the old guard will be so long in the tooth, the change will come. I just don’t see anyone who can step up and take it from them, in my opinion.
I didn't at all mean to imply that you were being ungracious. I'm just saying this movement by the "great unwashed" feels a bit different. I also don't think there is a Federer, Nadal or Djokovic in sight, but maybe a some mid-level greats in the making. My point is not that they are going to eclipse the greats in the near-term. Only that there are more threats coming up on the horizon. I think what they will tend to get more of, for now, are otherwise tournaments, or work as spoilers. It's just a question of how we're reading the tea leaves, friend.

Reactions: nehmeth

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
"Next-gen-from-a-gen-ago", Monfils is showing the most consistency I've seen from him in his entire career. He always had talent. Maybe at 32, he's settling down. Back in the top 20 for the first time since 2017.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
New career high on March 18, 2019:

31. Laslo Djere 23y
32. Guido Pella 28y
46. Radu Albot 29y
54. Hubert Hurkacz 22y
57. Felix Auger-Aliassime 18y
60. Mackenzie McDonald 23y
63. Ugo Humbert 20y
70. Cristian Garin 22y
74. Hugo Dellien 25y
84. Prajnesh Gunneswaran 29y
95. Miomir Kecmanovic 19y

Kecmanovic makes the top 100, bringing the number of teenagers up to 3.

Reactions: tented

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
FAA might be the only teenager who ends the year in the top 100 as Kecmanovic and Shapo both turn 20 this year.

Other candidates:
180. Rudolf Molleker (b. 2000)
255. Nicola Kuhn (b. 2000)

Kuhn is celebrating his 19th birthday today by playing Mischa Zverev in the first round of Miami. As of this writing, they're tied at one set a piece.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
FAA might be the only teenager who ends the year in the top 100 as Kecmanovic and Shapo both turn 20 this year.

Other candidates:
180. Rudolf Molleker (b. 2000)
255. Nicola Kuhn (b. 2000)

Kuhn is celebrating his 19th birthday today by playing Mischa Zverev in the first round of Miami. As of this writing, they're tied at one set a piece.
I just saw that Kuhn had to retire with terrible cramping. He just dropped like a stone. Gets to @kskate2's point about Andreescu and fitness on the WTA thread. They're young, but they are going to have to become fit enough to withstand the game at the higher oxygen levels.

Reactions: kskate2