The Rankings Thread (ATP)

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
If Nadal recovers from his injury before AO, it's still going to be impossible I guess for Roger to take no. 1 ranking from Rafa. Roger will have to play on clay for that.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
If Nadal recovers from his injury before AO, it's still going to be impossible I guess for Roger to take no. 1 ranking from Rafa. Roger will have to play on clay for that.

Nadal does not have serious injuries, just overuse that's all.

But, next year lots of other players can defeat Nadal apart from Fed and this should help Fed become #1 at some point, even if not at the end of the year.

Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I love the rankings! Just took a quick look to see what it looks like before YEC! It hasn't looked this interesting in years! The "next gen" is finally up there; even if temporary while Djokovic, Murray, Kei, Milos, & Stan are all out! I had no idea Sasha got to #3, Thiem's @ 4 even with lost opportunities, while Socks' as high as any American since Roddick in the day! - - - - live-tennis.--atp-live-ranking - - - -

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I know is late, but here it is, new career high on Nov.6, 2017:

3. Alexander Zverev. 20y
4. Dominic Thiem 24y
6. Grigor Dimitrov 26y
8. David Goffin 26y
9. Jack Sock 25y
30 Damir Dzumhur 25y
33. Filip Krajinovic 25y
60. Peter Gojowczyk 28y
85. Tennys Sandgren 26y
87. Stefanos Tsitsipas 19y
88. Laslo Djere 22y
90. Maximilian Marterrer 22y

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Is this the first time Sasha is #3. I thought he was at that position a few weeks ago itself. Same with Domi. I thought he was #4 for the last few weeks. Please check.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Is this the first time Sasha is #3. I thought he was at that position a few weeks ago itself. Same with Domi. I thought he was #4 for the last few weeks. Please check.
Yes, it is the first time they are up there. Last week Murray was still #3.
This week they removed his points for Paris and London from 2016, more exactly 2500 points, thus he fell out from top 3.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Yes, it is the first time they are up there. Last week Murray was still #3.
This week they removed his points for Paris and London from 2016, more exactly 2500 points, thus he fell out from top 3.

Stan's the last "injured" man standing in the top 10 for now the last time I looked; the others like Nole & Andy in the top 20! :-)2:facepalm: :confused: :oops:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Zverev has been #3 in the Race rankings for awhile, but just reached it in the actual rankings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

..and he's a legit #3 IMO even with all the injuries since he won 2 Masters! Things might have been different with Nole, Andy, Kei, Milos, & Stan, but that's how the cookie crumbles! :whistle: :rolleyes: :ptennis:

Reactions: herios

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
..and he's a legit #3 IMO even with all the injuries since he won 2 Masters! Things might have been different with Nole, Andy, Kei, Milos, & Stan, but that's how the cookie crumbles! :whistle: :rolleyes: :ptennis:
That is exactly it. Roger and Rafa also had years when injuries affected them and they fell through the cracks, but look how they rebounded.
Now, the jury is still out regarding Nile Andy if they will recover and also when and by how much.
They might never be the same as before.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It is still a puzzle for me how Thiem is now ranked 4 after all the crappy results he has compiled on HC this year. That just shows how weak the others were.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
It is still a puzzle for me how Thiem is now ranked 4 after all the crappy results he has compiled on HC this year. That just shows how weak the others were.

Nothing gives more evidence of how weak and lame the tour has shown itself to be by having Fedal at the top again after a decade! That's pre-Open era dynastics that shouldn't happen! It must have been tough for past greats to sustain even a few years of supremacy, but it's been a walk in the park for these 2 broken down athletes to continue to lead the way after taking huge breaks to recover from injury and en nui of such long and successful careers! Most players have burned out a lot sooner with the lone aberration being Connors who re-assumed #1 late, but not this late in his career! This is embarrassing in so many ways; sorta like Serena Williams being able to handle these kids well into her 30's and was pregnant at the time winning AO earlier this year! :whistle: :wacko: o_O

Last edited:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Nothing gives more evidence of how weak and lame the tour has shown itself to be by having Fedal at the top again after a decade!

Come on give mea break. These two are not just best players of today, but best of the era. So, that is not the real evidence that the tour is weak (although I agree that the tour is weak).

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Come on give mea break. These two are not just best players of today, but best of the era. So, that is not the real evidence that the tour is weak (although I agree that the tour is weak).

It's not like they're unbeatable! How many times have we seen "the also-rans" of the tour fumble at the end not able to finish off these greats? Fedal have come back from the dead more than a few times because the "best of the rest" are just plain "gutless!" Been saying it for years and there's no reason to change the thought for the next couple years! If Nole and Andy come back with little push-back, that will confirm what I've been saying! :whistle: :facepalm: :banghead: :cuckoo: :rolleyes:

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions

Yeah - lack of Novak, Andy, Stan, Kei and Milos really helped his ranking.

Analyzing his year, he actually had worse win% (66 vs 71) from last year, on account of 10 fewer wins and 1 more losses...and this doesn't count WTF. But he also went slightly deeper in big tournaments overall - he reached the 4R of three Slams, SF of RG, and also reached the QF or better at four Masters. But just one title this year vs. four last year and three the year before.

Has Thiem maxed out? Maybe - hard to say. His game shows flashes of a higher level, but most players don't improve significantly after 24.

That said, I still think he's got some Masters titles in him, and maybe a RG trophy.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah - lack of Novak, Andy, Stan, Kei and Milos really helped his ranking.

Analyzing his year, he actually had worse win% (66 vs 71) from last year, on account of 10 fewer wins and 1 more losses...and this doesn't count WTF. But he also went slightly deeper in big tournaments overall - he reached the 4R of three Slams, SF of RG, and also reached the QF or better at four Masters. But just one title this year vs. four last year and three the year before.

Has Thiem maxed out? Maybe - hard to say. His game shows flashes of a higher level, but most players don't improve significantly after 24.

That said, I still think he's got some Masters titles in him, and maybe a RG trophy.
For sure Thiem and others have artificially high rankings due to so many more successful players going dark for so much of this season. That said, Thiem had the 2nd most successful clay season, so, points are points. I think it's way too early to say if Thiem has maxed out. Haven't we been talking for the last few years about how much later players can start seeing their best seasons? (And not just Stan. Look at F. Lopez.) Especially with the Big 4 set to decline in the near future. Thiem is a relatively late-bloomer, which is why we tend to put him in the upper edge of Next Gen, rather than within Lost Gen. I don't find Dominic especially flashy or headed for an elite career. But he's solid and with a good head. I agree that he has some possible Masters in him, and maybe a RG, when Rafa yields on clay. Plus, he needs to learn to manage his schedule better.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Career high Nov. 20:

3. Grigor Dimitrov. 26y
7. David Goffin. 26y
8. Jack Sock. 25y
99. Nicolas Jarry. 22y

The newcomer in the top 100, is Jarry from Chile.

Reactions: Moxie

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Just checked YE rankings and Nole didn't drop too far! At #12, with few points to defend early on next season, w/ even moderate success of getting to AO final and taking 1 of the 1st 3 Masters, he'll be in good shape to take back his crown! Like Federer from last season, he's going to be a dangerous floater for the 1st few months! I can't wait! :clap: :rolleyes: :ptennis:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
The phrase dangerous floater has always made me chuckle. Sounds like a radioactive turd.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Dangerous floaters is given to unseeded players, not seeded like Novak will be based on his current ranking.

Reactions: GameSetAndMath