The Movie Reel

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Being honest with you brother, I generally love Ridley Scott flicks but I didn't like Gladiator. I was like Larry David in the audience for that one. Tried it again last year and....was like Larry David on the sofa...

:lulz1:
I'm with you on "Gladiator." Bloated, and not especially interesting. One thing that bothered me is that he got the light so wrong in Rome. (Astonishing for him.) He did give us "Are you not entertained!?"

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Staying with Ridley Scott, and films I could watch over and over: The Martian. I know that film wasn't actually shot on Mars, but I totally believed it was. Plus, that film sustained me in the pandemic.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm with you on "Gladiator." Bloated, and not especially interesting. One thing that bothered me is that he got the light so wrong in Rome. (Astonishing for him.) He did give us "Are you not entertained!?"
He got everything wrong about Rome. History isn’t his forte. He seems uninterested in it, at any level. He confronted a historian who pointed out his many historical errors for Napoleon by saying, “were you there?” As if historical fact is just a matter of opinion. The most ridiculous aspect of Gladiator was the emperor entering the arena to fight at the end.

Staying with Ridley Scott, and films I could watch over and over: The Martian. I know that film wasn't actually shot on Mars, but I totally believed it was. Plus, that film sustained me in the pandemic.
I never thought of The Martian as a lockdown movie but now you mention it, it was. And it was such a good film too. Great idea. Scott has been so prolific and varied in his range it’s hard to think of anyone else who matches him, in that regard…

Reactions: Moxie

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I finally saw Oppenheimer and … meh. Christopher Nolan is great at spectacle. The Batman movies are fantastic. I love Inception. But he’s not a director you go to for character development; you go to his movies to look at them. And he always gives you plenty to look at, but does anyone remember the names of any characters in Tenet or Interstellar or even Inception? See what I mean?

From a technical standpoint, Oppenheimer is very good. The cinematography is excellent, as always, in particular. Yes, the Trinity test looks great. He was wise not to go with a CGI sequence, so it does feel realistic.

I think Murphy does as good a job as possible with the titular character, but if you just read the script — without ever having watched a single shot — I don’t think you would come away with a healthy sense of who he was. It was practically the ”Being There” of science films.

I read somewhere he purposefully hired famous people to play even small parts because he was worried the audience wouldn’t otherwise be able to differentiate the characters. If you’re thinking that way, your characters are barely even sketches.

The music is just flat out awful and grating. It’s the longest, most unnecessary crescendo e accelerando I’ve ever encountered. The composer tries to build suspense for an hour, completely losing his way long before reaching the end.

Disappointed! as Kevin Kline’s character yells in A Fish Called Wanda.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I finally saw Oppenheimer and … meh. Christopher Nolan is great at spectacle. The Batman movies are fantastic. I love Inception. But he’s not a director you go to for character development; you go to his movies to look at them. And he always gives you plenty to look at, but does anyone remember the names of any characters in Tenet or Interstellar or even Inception? See what I mean?

From a technical standpoint, Oppenheimer is very good. The cinematography is excellent, as always, in particular. Yes, the Trinity test looks great. He was wise not to go with a CGI sequence, so it does feel realistic.

I think Murphy does as good a job as possible with the titular character, but if you just read the script — without ever having watched a single shot — I don’t think you would come away with a healthy sense of who he was. It was practically the ”Being There” of science films.

I read somewhere he purposefully hired famous people to play even small parts because he was worried the audience wouldn’t otherwise be able to differentiate the characters. If you’re thinking that way, your characters are barely even sketches.

The music is just flat out awful and grating. It’s the longest, most unnecessary crescendo e accelerando I’ve ever encountered. The composer tries to build suspense for an hour, completely losing his way long before reaching the end.

Thanks Tented I have seen Oppenheimer twice now as my Husband wanted to see it, it is my fav film of the year so far
I am yet to see Napoleon and Killer of the Flower Moon are on my bucket list to see, though I feel both films, especially Napoleon need to be watched on a big screen

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Thanks Tented I have seen Oppenheimer twice now as my Husband wanted to see it, it is my fav film of the year so far
I am yet to see Napoleon and Killer of the Flower Moon are on my bucket list to see, though I feel both films, especially Napoleon need to be watched on a big screen
I’ve been hearing and reading bad review of Napoleon, which is too bad. I was looking forward to it. Bad reviews never stop me, but I was hoping there would be a better reaction than this. If you see it, let us know your thought on it!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I’ve been hearing and reading bad review of Napoleon, which is too bad. I was looking forward to it. Bad reviews never stop me, but I was hoping there would be a better reaction than this. If you see it, let us know your thought on it!
I have also heard bad reports it has just been released here in Sydney, like you that dosent stop me either, I am still looking forward to watch the film

Reactions: Moxie and tented

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Interesting review. Haven’t seen it yet but tried Tenet about 4 times and didn’t get past 20 minutes each time. Couldn’t understand what it was about and it wasn’t - unusual for him - dramatic or spectacular enough to keep me from thinking it was slightly ‘clever’ without being real.

I have Oppenheimer ordered from the library and I’ll give it a go because although his films can be hard work, this one might be easier to follow than Tenet…

Reactions: tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I often find Nolan too chilly, but I did find Oppenheimer really compelling. Even emotional. I bought the way he told the story. I actually said the same thing about why he cast "name" actors for the various small roles. The story is told at a fast clip, and you need the help. It's a dense story, and I'm not sure how much character development he could do, with minor characters. But Nolan can be polarizing, which is fine. I admire that. But of his films, this is one of my favorites.

Reactions: Kieran

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Wonder how Gladiator 2 is gonna turn out.
oh jeez... seriously? They're doing Gladiator 2? I really hope the outcome that some speculate could happen with writers and artists regaining some power comes to pass. All of these sequels are being done by the distributors who care nothing for the art form. Just looking for easy money:facepalm:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
oh jeez... seriously? They're doing Gladiator 2? I really hope the outcome that some speculate could happen with writers and artists regaining some power comes to pass. All of these sequels are being done by the distributors who care nothing for the art form. Just looking for easy money:facepalm:
It's Ridley Scott, though, so he feels like he has something to say with it...he's over 80. He's not allergic to money, of course, and he does like to work, so there's that.

Reactions: Federberg

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
It's Ridley Scott, though, so he feels like he has something to say with it...he's over 80. He's not allergic to money, of course, and he does like to work, so there's that.
well at least the script will be properly vetted then

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
well at least the script will be properly vetted then
I wouldn’t bet on it given the historical inaccuracies in the first film, and allegedly in Napoleon. Scott is a great film maker but he hasn’t made many films that I’d consider to be ‘great’. Gladiator I consider to be obviously the opposite of ‘Great.’

The sequel will have Denzil though, which is a result!

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Or the great TV show Rome, which still stands for me as the greatest show or film based on Ancient Rome, and also as the perfect antidote to the glossy, silly, wasted film, Gladiator...
Gladiator is definitely overrated. I’m convinced the only reason Crowe won the Academy Award was because the voters felt guilty for not giving it to him for “The Insider” the year before.

Reactions: don_fabio

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Why see that when you can view the original Spartacus (1960) with Kirk Douglas, Lord Laurence Olivier, Jean Simmons and Peter Ustinov ???? That was and remains the most amazing of any gladiatorial epics.
The HDR colours on the 4K bluray make it look even more amazing.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Why see that when you can view the original Spartacus (1960) with Kirk Douglas, Lord Laurence Olivier, Jean Simmons and Peter Ustinov ???? That was and remains the most amazing of any gladiatorial epics.
Totally agreed. But on the subject of Ridley Scott and Stanley Kubrick, who directed "Spartacus," Scott fully admits that his first feature, "The Duelists," took inspiration from Kubrick's "Barry Lyndon." (And both took place in the Napoleonic Wars.) Also, by many accounts, Kubrick's "Paths of Glory." (And, as a side note, when Scott had to cut a different ending for "Blade Runner," Kubrick gave him unused fly-over footage from "The Shining.") So, sure, Ridley was thinking of "Spartacus" when he made "Gladiator." And there's certainly something of "2001" in Alien...in the "mother" voice of the ship. But Scott is generally better when he's not trying to be Kubrick.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just saw "Anatomy of a Fall." I thought it was pretty great and intriguing. Won the Palme d'Or at Cannes this year. Somebody dies, no one there to see it. Part procedural, part mystery, partly 'anatomy of a relationship.' I recommend it.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Great choice. I would throw in a Ben Hur too, another briliant film from that age.

Lately I feel more inclined again to watch older movies. I am going through Hitchcock now with some movies that I haven't seen before. Recently seen Rope, Dial M for Murder, Rear Window. All great flicks.

I have some Kurosawa movies on the list too.

I have also one gem with me that I watched like more than 10 years ago, it's called Metropolis. It's from german director Fritz Lang, it's a silent movie from 1927 and many say it's a birth of Sci-Fi genre.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just saw "Anatomy of a Fall." I thought it was pretty great and intriguing. Won the Palme d'Or at Cannes this year. Somebody dies, no one there to see it. Part procedural, part mystery, partly 'anatomy of a relationship.' I recommend it.
I was looking to download it 2 months ago, but was not available. I'm glad it's good, I'll see it when I get back home then. I can recommend Tell No One (2006), also french thriller/mystery, but you might have seen it already.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I was looking to download it 2 months ago, but was not available. I'm glad it's good, I'll see it when I get back home then. I can recommend Tell No One (2006), also french thriller/mystery, but you might have seen it already.
I did see it, excellent! The French do thrillers very well.