The Movie Reel

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^I did find his thesis about distribution platforms becoming commoditised compelling. I think this may well be right. To be honest the financial trader in me, instantly got me thinking about shorting the major film distribution companies. It also bodes well for the film industry because these distribution companies are not concerned about the art form, all they care about is maximising their profits. I mean how else can they have done a remake of Total Recall already?? Jeepers! :D

I hear you regarding short attention spans, but one thing I've noticed about myself... I use TikTok quite a lot these days, and I often find myself captured by clips of movies that I've never seen before. In my case, I actually think TikTok is becoming the primary marketing tool to push me to watch full movies. Has this happened to anyone else?

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Another film that is on my 'bucket list' of movies to see is Napoleon directed by Ridley Scott, one of my favorite actors Joaquin Phoenix, as Napoleon. It has just been released here in Sydney, I have read some critics of this film from overseas, they have been critical of Scott, not concentrating on more of historical parts of Napoleon, I will make up my own mind, another film to watch in the off season of tennis.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Another film that is on my 'bucket list' of movies to see is Napoleon directed by Ridley Scott, one of my favorite actors Joaquin Phoenix, as Napoleon. It has just been released here in Sydney, I have read some critics of this film from overseas, they have been critical of Scott, not concentrating on more of historical parts of Napoleon, I will make up my own mind, another film to watch in the off season of tennis.
Yeah I saw that critics were complaining about the film. He didn’t hire any actors from the 1800’s apparently. But they were all busy pushing up daisies. He told them all to feck off. Scott is a great director. He’s got swagger too..

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah I saw that critics were complaining about the film. He didn’t hire any actors from the 1800’s apparently. But they were all busy pushing up daisies. He told them all to feck off. Scott is a great director. He’s got swagger too..
Ridley would have to be in his 80's by now wouldnt he? agree he is a great director

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Ridley would have to be in his 80's by now wouldnt he? agree he is a great director
Yeah, he’s 86 next week.

Look at his upcoming work: well there’s 10 directorial assignments of various sorts planned, and 72 as a producer. He’s a workhorse!

IMG_1204.png

IMG_1205.png

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON
SPOILER ALERTS THROUGHOUT, NOT REVEALING PLOT POINTS, BUT YOU'LL KNOW WHAT THE FILM IS ABOUT

Last night we went to see Killers of the Flower Moon. First gripe: no ice cream on sale in the cinema foyer. We’d planned to sugar up for the long haul. 3 point 5 hours is a long sitting. We drank green tea in a nearby caff. The film was preceded by endless ads. We’d wondered how films make money, given there was less than ten people in attendance. The ads piled up shamelessly before the movie, while we wondered that. We’d purchased premium seats. We could have bought standing room only and used the premium seats anyway. The premium seats were all that anyone used. I felt like complaining, I suspect that some of the people sitting nearby migrated in from the cheap seats. The premium seats weren’t even comfortable, but it was good be in the cinema. The missus first time since Covid.

Loads of ads, and trailers. Napoleon looks great. Ridley Scott churning them out. Much more likely to be a hit than a miss. Then we argued in whispers about why I didn’t like Gladiator. The missus always misrepresents that and so we went at it.

Killers of the Flower Moon has that Scorsese look: it’s bold, it’s colourful and swirling with activity, and details. It's explicitly artful and worthwhile. The music by Robbie Robertson will get an Oscar, but not through pity that he's gone: it's so forceful and insistent it achieves a grandeur that elevates the tension. Leonardo diCaprio gets to look more like Jack Nicholson as he gets older. That earthy, cross-eyed virility. At times he even looked like Brando in The Godfather. He’s put on weight for the film, and his teeth are filthy and crooked. His mouth droops at the corners. The screen hunk as character actor, and he’s never been better. He plays an idiot, basically, but he makes the complexities of this simple-minded character so compelling and real, that you can hardly believe what he’s doing. Robert de Niro plays his uncle, and in this film he acts, rather than shrugs and pulls trademark de Niro faces. But the performance that most affected us was the excellent Lily Gladstone as Molly, Leonardo DiCaprio’s character’s wife.

Like Leo, she managed to hold contradictory spaces within herself and still function authentically. All of us should be glad to have a Molly in our lives. She had integrity and humility in every pore, but never was she pious or boring. She was regal without being aloof. She’s the tragic and moral focal point of the film, which covered typical Scorsese territory, relating to power and sin. The serpent slithering into paradise. A lot of the themes of the movie are familiar to Scorsese fans. It’s not as violent as a lot of his films, but there’s terrible mood of foreboding throughout. It’s hideous and actually creepy in parts. A shocking parasitical relationship between the Osage Indians and their white neighbours and friends.

At one point I thought Marty was going to go Blue Hair, and layer on the “Old Whitey Bad” SJW cards, but I pulled myself together swiftly because not only was Old Whitey bad here, the film at times didn’t even seem to be about that. It wasn’t about modern politics, it was about man’s eternal shame, which that he mistreats his fellow man, and always as if there’ll be no reckoning.

Marty’s a Catholic. There’ll always be a reckoning.

There's a great device used at the end to substitute for white ink on a black screen telling us what became of the characters. There's a cameo by Marty, which seemed in some sense to be himself actually, passing damning judgments, and not a character in the film, but it was great to see him.

The film is long and it lost a few points with me for that. The length in itself wasn’t the problem as much as the sense that the film would have been better if it had been more tautly edited. Example: in one scene a character tells others what happened. We already know what happened, but he takes time to tell us what we know. Then Marty shows us in flashback what we know already, and now know in triplicate. There are scenes unnaturally lengthened, and this was a problem with the Irishman too. Scorsese aiming for epic, but merely reaching long. It takes this film down a notch or two in his great pantheon of movies. That’s still very good though…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
SPOILER ALERTS THROUGHOUT, NOT REVEALING PLOT POINTS, BUT YOU'LL KNOW WHAT THE FILM IS ABOUT

Last night we went to see Killers of the Flower Moon. First gripe: no ice cream on sale in the cinema foyer. We’d planned to sugar up for the long haul. 3 point 5 hours is a long sitting. We drank green tea in a nearby caff. The film was preceded by endless ads. We’d wondered how films make money, given there was less than ten people in attendance. The ads piled up shamelessly before the movie, while we wondered that. We’d purchased premium seats. We could have bought standing room only and used the premium seats anyway. The premium seats were all that anyone used. I felt like complaining, I suspect that some of the people sitting nearby migrated in from the cheap seats. The premium seats weren’t even comfortable, but it was good be in the cinema. The missus first time since Covid.

Loads of ads, and trailers. Napoleon looks great. Ridley Scott churning them out. Much more likely to be a hit than a miss. Then we argued in whispers about why I didn’t like Gladiator. The missus always misrepresents that and so we went at it.

Killers of the Flower Moon has that Scorsese look: it’s bold, it’s colourful and swirling with activity, and details. It's explicitly artful and worthwhile. The music by Robbie Robertson will get an Oscar, but not through pity that he's gone: it's so forceful and insistent it achieves a grandeur that elevates the tension. Leonardo diCaprio gets to look more like Jack Nicholson as he gets older. That earthy, cross-eyed virility. At times he even looked like Brando in The Godfather. He’s put on weight for the film, and his teeth are filthy and crooked. His mouth droops at the corners. The screen hunk as character actor, and he’s never been better. He plays an idiot, basically, but he makes the complexities of this simple-minded character so compelling and real, that you can hardly believe what he’s doing. Robert de Niro plays his uncle, and in this film he acts, rather than shrugs and pulls trademark de Niro faces. But the performance that most affected us was the excellent Lily Gladstone as Molly, Leonardo DiCaprio’s character’s wife.

Like Leo, she managed to hold contradictory spaces within herself and still function authentically. All of us should be glad to have a Molly in our lives. She had integrity and humility in every pore, but never was she pious or boring. She was regal without being aloof. She’s the tragic and moral focal point of the film, which covered typical Scorsese territory, relating to power and sin. The serpent slithering into paradise. A lot of the themes of the movie are familiar to Scorsese fans. It’s not as violent as a lot of his films, but there’s terrible mood of foreboding throughout. It’s hideous and actually creepy in parts. A shocking parasitical relationship between the Osage Indians and their white neighbours and friends.

At one point I thought Marty was going to go Blue Hair, and layer on the “Old Whitey Bad” SJW cards, but I pulled myself together swiftly because not only was Old Whitey bad here, the film at times didn’t even seem to be about that. It wasn’t about modern politics, it was about man’s eternal shame, which that he mistreats his fellow man, and always as if there’ll be no reckoning.

There's a great device used at the end to substitute for white ink on a black screen telling us what became of the characters. There's a cameo by Marty, which seemed in some sense to be himself actually, passing damning judgments, and not a character in the film, but it was great to see him.

The film is long and it lost a few points with me for that. The length in itself wasn’t the problem as much as the sense that the film would have been better if it had been more tautly edited. Example: in one scene a character tells others what happened. We already know what happened, but he takes time to tell us what we know. Then Marty shows us in flashback what we know already, and now know in triplicate. There are scenes unnaturally lengthened, and this was a problem with the Irishman too. Scorsese aiming for epic, but merely reaching long. It takes this film down a notch or two in his great pantheon of movies. That’s still very good though…
Thanks a great critic of the film.If a movie is 3 hours plus I always pay for the 'extra comfort' of going to a Gold Class movie theater, which provides seats that can recline and you can also put your feet up, I hear your gripe about no ice cream, when I go to a movie my one indulgence is a 'choc top ice cream in a cone' yummy.I am really looking forward to seeing 'Killers of the Flower Moon"

Reactions: shawnbm and Kieran

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Wonderful review and told by someone who should be writing for purpose more often. I did enjoy the film immensely and echo what you say about the three main protagonists. Your description of De Niro's acting this film is spot on, lad. Well done.

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Wonderful review and told by someone who should be writing for purpose more often. I did enjoy the film immensely and echo what you say about the three main protagonists. Your description of De Niro's acting this film is spot on, lad. Well done.
Cheers brother!

And you know, another thing we discussed after the film was the way that in Sergio Leone movies, there were so many great faces, actors with features that looked like there were from those days, chiselled ugly brutes and granite faced toughs, often very handsome despite that, and this film too had great faces. Hard to describe what I mean but you’re familiar with Sergio leone films - and so are most people here - and sometimes in this film the camera would settle on a face that was extremely interesting and seemed to be from a more rugged past..

Reactions: shawnbm

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Love those old spaghetti westerns--shot in southwestern Spain outside of Murcia mostly! Another grand ol' Western with that kind of cinematography was the Sergio Leone classic Once Upon A Time in the West--with Charles Bronson and Henry Fonda, as well as a host of other great character actors like Jason Robards, Jack Elam and others. Richard Boone of the television show Have Gun Will Travel had such a face.

Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie,

I wanted to watch a film of 'light of light relief' and on my movie package I can rent up to 5 movies free, so I decided to rent Barbie!
I remember my daughter had every Barbie Doll known to man and then some, I was more of a tom boy growing up and hated dolls quite frankly, the movie was not what I expected and frankly I was pleasant surprised! one of my girl friends who has grand children didnt take her young granddaughters aged 7 and 9 to see the film and now I understand why, they would not understand the message it was sending. I loved Ryan Gosling as Ken, typical of a man of that era may I say, I laughed a lot and it was just what I needed. Margot Robbie I salute you :)

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie,

I wanted to watch a film of 'light of light relief' and on my movie package I can rent up to 5 movies free, so I decided to rent Barbie!
I remember my daughter had every Barbie Doll known to man and then some, I was more of a tom boy growing up and hated dolls quite frankly, the movie was not what I expected and frankly I was pleasant surprised! one of my girl friends who has grand children didnt take her young granddaughters aged 7 and 9 to see the film and now I understand why, they would not understand the message it was sending. I loved Ryan Gosling as Ken, typical of a man of that era may I say, I laughed a lot and it was just what I needed. Margot Robbie I salute you :)
Cheers, Margaret! While I disagree that younger kids can't get the message...I don't believe in underestimating children's ability to understand art, when the content is not too adult or upsetting, and Barbie is far from that...but no matter. I initially thought that Ryan Gosling was a poor choice for Ken, but I thought he was "perfect," if you forgive the rather obvious joke. He's an actor who commits 110% all the time, and he definitely had to trust himself and his director, because there was a risk of really falling on his face. (I'm thinking of particularly of that musical number.) Margot Robbie was amazing. My hat is off to director Greta Gerwig, who not only found an imaginative and modern way to tell Barbie's story; she also brought Mattel on board with it, and their most protected, signature product. I've worked with Mattel on a couple of projects, and, believe me, they have very exacting standards. I can't believe they let themselves be lampooned, on top of it. And now they're all laughing, to the tune of $1.5bn USD worldwide. I'm very glad it made you laugh, too. It did me.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Cheers, Margaret! While I disagree that younger kids can't get the message...I don't believe in underestimating children's ability to understand art, when the content is not too adult or upsetting, and Barbie is far from that...but no matter. I initially thought that Ryan Gosling was a poor choice for Ken, but I thought he was "perfect," if you forgive the rather obvious joke. He's an actor who commits 110% all the time, and he definitely had to trust himself and his director, because there was a risk of really falling on his face. (I'm thinking of particularly of that musical number.) Margot Robbie was amazing. My hat is off to director Greta Gerwig, who not only found an imaginative and modern way to tell Barbie's story; she also brought Mattel on board with it, and their most protected, signature product. I've worked with Mattel on a couple of projects, and, believe me, they have very exacting standards. I can't believe they let themselves be lampooned, on top of it. And now they're all laughing, to the tune of $1.5bn USD worldwide. I'm very glad it made you laugh, too. It did me.
I am not disputing some younger children cant get the message, though knowing my GF 2 grand children they are very young and I dont think they would understand the message.