The Movie Reel

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
TsarMatt said:
Sandler is is actually coming up with a new film this year called The Cobbler which I am highly looking forward to. The only reason why this has piqued my interest is primarily because of Thomas McCarthy (the director). He has only made three films in his short career so far and all have been met with positive reception:

The Station Agent has a 7.8 on IMDb and 95% on Rotten Tomatoes.

The Visitor has a 7.7 on IMDb and 89% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Win-Win has a 7.2 on IMDb and 94% on Rotten Tomatoes.

He has also written all three of his films. Judging from some of the interviews I've seen from him, he really cares about his work, and doesn't seem like the type that would necessarily 'sell-out'.

No trailers have been released as of yet but I can't wait. Apparently it's about...

a lonely New York shoe repairman who starts to sense that he’s let life pass him by — going nowhere while fixing the shoes of more-assertive customers taking vacations and living adventures. Things change, though, when he discovers a family heirloom that magically lets him “walk in another man’s shoes” and see the world differently.

I gotta feeling this'll be Sandler's best since Punch-Drunk Love.

Oh, and Foxcatcher has had its release at Cannes. This is the film where Steve Carell apparently gives a career-defining performance as the villain:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG4QoyC8L_Y[/video]

I think it looks excellent! Carell's performance looks chilling, too.

Oh, and while we're talking about Cannes, The Rover is getting rave reviews too!

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChM2icbWo9w[/video]

Australian film has plummeted over the years, but this looks like one of the best from my country in quite a while. Of course, nothing'll ever top the Australian New Wave movement, with Picnic at Hanging Rock, Wake in Fright and The Last Wave, but hey, this could be a contender. Apparently it is a very grim and authentic film. Awesome!

A lot in there: The Station Agent is a wonderful film. The Rover: I hated the trailer, and my friend said it was a sad second effort, though I thought Animal Kingdom was amazing. A lot of good advance word on Foxcatcher.

I just saw "Snowpiercer." First English-language venture by Korean director Bong Joon-Ho. A little bit "Brazil," a little bit "The Matrix." A lot its own thing. Loads of fetishized violence in slo-mo, and in the Asian way, for those that love Kung-Fu films. Something for everyone! (And another wacky performance from Tilda Swinton. I do hope you all saw "The Grand Budapest Hotel.")

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Here's the trailer:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyWfZ9866DE[/video]

I recommend you watch the ad, too, because it's hilarious.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Anybody here see the new Planet of the Apes?

I enjoyed the first one and am going to see the second one tomorrow. It's getting fairly strong reviews...

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
talking of planet of the apes..those first two films. planet of the apes in 1968, beneath the planet of the apes in 1969 are all-time classics.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Okay, so if you enjoyed the Rise of the Planet of the Apes, you'll love this one.

I saw it in 3D - that was okay, didn't blow my mind, except in a few scenes. The story is very strong though - themes relating to family, betrayal, violence. There's an origins of the species sub-vibe to it, where primitive man lives happily in nature and is discovered by his armed and technologically reliant distant cousin. A human kid draws an ape during the film and it even looks like neanderthal man, more than monkey.

I won't give anything away - that much you can see in the trailers. I thought it was well-made too, with some great cgi performances by the leading ape characters, however they do it. Well worth a visit if you liked the first one...

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:

I enjoyed the first one and am going to see the second one tomorrow. It's getting fairly strong reviews...

I saw it last weekend, it's spectacular. It's takes the Planet of the Apes series to a new heights. However, you are a very unique critic, it may be too over the top for you my friend since you didn't appreciate Gladiator or HEAT:lolz:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Kieran said:

I saw it last weekend, it's spectacular. It's takes the Planet of the Apes series to a new heights. However, you are a very unique critic, it may be too over the top for you my friend since you didn't appreciate Gladiator or HEAT:lolz:

:snigger

You see, this film had a bit more to it than monkey bizness. It had some interesting subtext thingies too. I wrote about this above, and how much I enjoyed it. Far more than I enjoyed those macho poser flicks... :p

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Sign me up for this one...

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/quentin-tarantino-says-kill-bill-the-whole-bloody-affair-will-hit-theaters-in-2015-20140728?utm_campaign=quentin-tarantino-says-kill-bill-the-whole-bloody-affair-will-hit-theaters-in-2015-20140728&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Facebook&utm_content=quentin-tarantino-says-kill-bill-the-whole-bloody-affair-will-hit-theaters-in-2015-20140728

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
I am watching Sharknado 2 right now...epic so far.

:laydownlaughing

OMG…I loved it! The cameos. The bad acting. The absolute resistance to anything even resembling a comprehensible plot. We howled with laughter. Good, clean fun (+alligator.)

markus1

Club Member
Reactions
I watched Transformers: Age of Extinction a week ago. I liked it:) I wondered how it would be without Shia LaBeouf, it turned out to be pretty interesting.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
I am watching Sharknado 2 right now...epic so far.

:laydownlaughing

Industry insiders tell us that Sharknado 2 was the most watched TV movie of all time. And that the next sequel is already in the works. (Miami and alligators? Seems a match made in B-movie heaven.)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I saw "Lucy" today and really liked it. It's Luc Besson, who made "La Femme Nikita," so there's some kick-ass heroine in it, with some Matrix, and Tree of Life, too. All without trying too hard, and told in 98 minutes. What's not to like?

I saw "Boyhood," too. I think it's amazing, especially given that it's a film about almost nothing. I really recommend it. You may start out by wondering what is the big deal, with the mundanities, but the cumulative effect of watching a boy grow up in real time is actually very emotional. Plus, if you've ever had a childhood and/or been a parent, I'd defy you not to identify with this film.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ I'm guessing we won't be going to the movies together anytime soon. I thought Lucy was pretty lame. Could have done a lot better with that one.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
^ I'm guessing we won't be going to the movies together anytime soon. I thought Lucy was pretty lame. Could have done a lot better with that one.

Lucy, was extremely lame!! I feel asleep bigtime. The wifey felt it was ok but the ending she was least than certain about it..Just a step up from the Johnny Deeps movie, Transcendence(another piece of crap). BTW.. What is up with Morgan Freeman and these crap ass movies he has been in as of late.. Morgan hasnt been involved in a decent movie since the Dark Knight Rises.. too good of an actor to just be collecting checks by being in horrible movies, IMO

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Brother, Morgan Freeman has been in every movie the past 10 years. Some are good and some blow.

I saw some people see Lucy as a feminist movie. I didn't even see it that way, more like a plot gone wrong with no suspense and pretty much nothing making any sense.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:

DarthFed said:
^ Brother, Morgan Freeman has been in every movie the past 10 years. Some are good and some blow.

I saw some people see Lucy as a feminist movie. I didn't even see it that way, more like a plot line gone wrong with no suspense and pretty much nothing making any sense.

Well, I guess we won't be going to a film any sooner than we'll be meeting up for a tennis match.

If nothing else, I wouldn't say that Lucy was a feminist film. Her character could have been played by a male actor and the film would have been exactly the same. (Equally badly, I, guess, for some of you. :laydownlaughing) I thought it was fun, anyway, and clever.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Sign me up for this one...

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/quentin-tarantino-says-kill-bill-the-whole-bloody-affair-will-hit-theaters-in-2015-20140728?utm_campaign=quentin-tarantino-says-kill-bill-the-whole-bloody-affair-will-hit-theaters-in-2015-20140728&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Facebook&utm_content=quentin-tarantino-says-kill-bill-the-whole-bloody-affair-will-hit-theaters-in-2015-20140728

There's a fan edit of this available but despite the size (11.2GB) the quality isn't that great. Screenshots here look pretty good but it's not great when you actually watch it (a lot of pixellation) but maybe I'm too fussy :cool: At least you get the famous scene from the first Kill Bill in its uncut state. All versions except this and the Japanese HDTV version had the big fight near the end in black and white but this is colour/color. Sound is good too, full DTS 5.1 mix for the whole film. Worth checking out anyway.

http://drsapirstein.blogspot.ie/2013/12/kill-bill-whole-bloody-affair-hd-720p.html#more

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Just watched the first half of the second Hobbit fillum.

Um. I turned it off. Partly cos it's late at night and mostly cos it's gonna help me to sleep. It's boring! The prblem is, they're all gonna live until the end of the third film, so all their escapades are just so much ballet on strings before a blue screen. They're replaying the same scenes over and over from LOTR. Big mistake, making this into a three-parters... :nono

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Toronto Film Festival is going on right now and Tobey Maguire is in town to promote his new movie with Liev Schreiber called Pawn Sacrifice. It is about the famous Bobby Fischer-Bobby Spassky chess match that was in 1972 (or was it 71).

Looks intriguing . I will check it out.