"The Andy Murray Problem"

Great Hands

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
El Dude said:
Luxilon Borg and Great Hands, it sounds like you are both emphasizing two different aspects of Murray that aren't mutually exclusive. GH is saying that he loses to the Big Three because they're simply better, while LB says its because of mental meltdowns. Isn't it both? I mean, LB are you saying that Murray is not inferior to the Big Three? You seem to imply that he's equally talented but doesn't have the same mental edge. And GH, isn't mentality part of talent? So isn't part of the reason he's not as good as the Big Three because he lacks their mental fortitude?

In other words, I think you guys are a lot closer than your disagreement implies.

Great post, El Dude! :) I like the fact you're trying to bring some harmony to proceedings!

I absolutely agree with you that mentality is a part of talent. And I agree that Murray lacks their same degree of mental fortitude. What I disagree with is the lazy idea that if Andy was mentally stronger, he'd be at the same level with them. It implies that Andy is on the same level as the other 3 in every other way except mentally, which is untrue, and unfair in two ways. It deprecates Fed, Nadal and Djok, who are actually superior players to Murray, and it over-emphasises the mental aspect of why Murray loses to them, making Murray seem mentally weaker than he actually is.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Murray is a good player, no question. But mentally he is leagues behind The Big Three. He was fortunate to win the two slams he did, and several things will have to go his way if he is to win any more. I usually enjoy watching tennis but some players are a huge turnoff. Sharapova's shrieking and Fognini's blatant way of throwing matches re examples. With Murray, I can't stand they way he starts to moan and mumble and grab parts that are aching. He's just so weak mentally. He sort of reminds me of Boris Becker, without the incredible tennis that is. Becker had so much potential but he never realized it. Too many things bothered him it seemed and he got down on himself. That incessant cough he seemed to have when losing was annoying to watch. Murray has the potential, not as much as Becker, but his mental weakness will not let him do it.
I'l agree Bodo gets a bit theatrical sometimes and really misses the mark at times but I thought this article pretty much summed up what most tennis fans thought of Murray after the AO. And if that whole wah-wah about Djokovic's on-court antics was not Murray's doing, then he needs to hire a publicist or get a new one because what he's doing right now is not winning him any new fans.

Great Hands

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Kirijax said:
Murray is a good player, no question. But mentally he is leagues behind The Big Three. He was fortunate to win the two slams he did, and several things will have to go his way if he is to win any more. I usually enjoy watching tennis but some players are a huge turnoff. Sharapova's shrieking and Fognini's blatant way of throwing matches re examples. With Murray, I can't stand they way he starts to moan and mumble and grab parts that are aching. He's just so weak mentally. He sort of reminds me of Boris Becker, without the incredible tennis that is. Becker had so much potential but he never realized it. Too many things bothered him it seemed and he got down on himself. That incessant cough he seemed to have when losing was annoying to watch. Murray has the potential, not as much as Becker, but his mental weakness will not let him do it.
I'l agree Bodo gets a bit theatrical sometimes and really misses the mark at times but I thought this article pretty much summed up what most tennis fans thought of Murray after the AO. And if that whole wah-wah about Djokovic's on-court antics was not Murray's doing, then he needs to hire a publicist or get a new one because what he's doing right now is not winning him any new fans.

My suggestion that the story that 'Murray complained about Djokovic's behaviour', which seemed to be everywhere, was inaccurate was based on the fact that I actually watched Murray's post-match press conference, which is on the AO website. I noted that it was the journalists who suggested that Djokovic was 'sandbagging', not Murray, and that Murray did not agree with them on this point. So how that suddenly became 'Murray criticises Djokovic' seemed to me to be unfair. And as I say, Murray also praised Djokovic in the press conference, criticised his own lapse in concentration, and made clear that he felt he was simply outplayed by Djokovic in the latter stages. I thought it was a pretty fair press conference.

"With Murray, I can't stand they way he starts to moan and mumble and grab parts that are aching."

Fair enough. It doesn't bother me too much, but each to their own. :)

"He's just so weak mentally. He sort of reminds me of Boris Becker, without the incredible tennis that is."

I disagree with this. When you say this, you ignore all the times when he came through in difficult circumstances. What about the semifinal against Berdych at this year's AO? Berdych won a gruelling first set, after Murray had got himself back into the set by breaking back. How did Murray respond to this loss? He got pumped up, and won the next three sets. How was this being weak mentally? Berdych was the one who crumbled, who was weak mentally.

What about the Wimbledon final Murray won? Do you remember that last game? Three Championship points gone, the weight of the nation on his shoulders, a notorious comeback king on the other side of the net? Murray saved break points in that game with a terrific big first serve, a long gruelling rally which he ended with a winner, and a big serve-big forehand-volley combination. Under the greatest pressure, he came through. And those are just 2 examples of many. But some people only look at the times he didn't win.

I also disagree that Murray does not play 'incredible tennis'. My favourite things to watch in tennis are great hands, variety and great defence. Murray has the finest touch/hands of any player in this era after Federer. His 'feel' is at all-time great level. He has great variety of shot, and I enjoy watching him vary his tactics, very successfully over the years, to suit different players and conditions. His backhand is also at all-time great level, as well as his movement, anticipation, speed, defence, and return of serve. The big 3 are superior to him in terms of forehand, second serve, and physicality (although he is an all-time great physically, those 3 are even more so). Murray's good but not great, let alone all-time great, forehand and poor second serve are why he finds it hard to beat the big 3.

For me, the players I find boring are the big, tall players without much touch or feel, who are just about bashing big serves and forehands (Raonic, Berdych, Isner etc), and the players I find irritating are the 'flashy' players who go for aggressive shots but for every flashy winner there are two crappy unforced errors (e.g. Gulbis). Murray does neither of these things. My favourite thing of all to watch in tennis is great defence, which I guess is why the big 4 are my favourite players of this era, because all 4 of them are amazing in this regard, and no one else comes anywhere close. Great defence makes for exciting rallies!

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Great Hands said:
Kirijax said:

My suggestion that the story that 'Murray complained about Djokovic's behaviour', which seemed to be everywhere, was inaccurate was based on the fact that I actually watched Murray's post-match press conference, which is on the AO website. I noted that it was the journalists who suggested that Djokovic was 'sandbagging', not Murray, and that Murray did not agree with them on this point. So how that suddenly became 'Murray criticises Djokovic' seemed to me to be unfair. And as I say, Murray also praised Djokovic in the press conference, criticised his own lapse in concentration, and made clear that he felt he was simply outplayed by Djokovic in the latter stages. I thought it was a pretty fair press conference.

"With Murray, I can't stand they way he starts to moan and mumble and grab parts that are aching."

Fair enough. It doesn't bother me too much, but each to their own. :)

"He's just so weak mentally. He sort of reminds me of Boris Becker, without the incredible tennis that is."

I disagree with this. When you say this, you ignore all the times when he came through in difficult circumstances. What about the semifinal against Berdych at this year's AO? Berdych won a gruelling first set, after Murray had got himself back into the set by breaking back. How did Murray respond to this loss? He got pumped up, and won the next three sets. How was this being weak mentally? Berdych was the one who crumbled, who was weak mentally.

What about the Wimbledon final Murray won? Do you remember that last game? Three Championship points gone, the weight of the nation on his shoulders, a notorious comeback king on the other side of the net? Murray saved break points in that game with a terrific big first serve, a long gruelling rally which he ended with a winner, and a big serve-big forehand-volley combination. Under the greatest pressure, he came through. And those are just 2 examples of many. But some people only look at the times he didn't win.

I also disagree that Murray does not play 'incredible tennis'. My favourite things to watch in tennis are great hands, variety and great defence. Murray has the finest touch/hands of any player in this era after Federer. His 'feel' is at all-time great level. He has great variety of shot, and I enjoy watching him vary his tactics, very successfully over the years, to suit different players and conditions. His backhand is also at all-time great level, as well as his movement, anticipation, speed, and defence. The big 3 are superior to him in terms of forehand, second serve, and physicality (although he is an all-time great physically, those 3 are even more so). Murray's good but not great, let alone all-time great, forehand and poor second serve are why he finds it hard to beat the big 3.

For me, the players I find boring are the big, tall players without much touch or feel, who are just about bashing big serves and forehands (Raonic, Berdych, Isner etc), and the players I find irritating are the 'flashy' players who go for aggressive shots but for every flashy winner there are two crappy unforced errors (e.g. Gulbis). Murray does neither of these things. My favourite thing of all to watch in tennis is great defence, which I guess is why the big 4 are my favourite players of this era, because all 4 of them are amazing in this regard, and no one else comes anywhere close. Great defence makes for exciting rallies!

Each to his own! I personally can't stand Murray and I think he is very very fortunate to have been allowed ride on the back of the "The Big Four" pickup truck.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Great Hands said:
Luxilon Borg said:
Great Hands said:
I strongly disagree that Murray's on court demeanour has cost him multiple slams. Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have cost him multiple slams.

I think people see Murray admonish himself or whatever, see him lose, and then think: 'He admonished himself, and that's why he lost', but this is rarely the case.

Let's just look at the games of Fed, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray for a minute, technically. Murray has by far the weakest forehand, from a technical perspective. This is hugely important, as the forehand is the main weapon used to dictate during matches. Murray also has by far the weakest second serve. Again, this is hugely important, as it can often be the difference between who wins or loses a match at elite level. Murray is an amazing physical specimin, but Djokovic, Nadal and Federer are even more amazing physically. Whenever Murray plays them, he is fighting an uphill battle physically and technically.

I'm not saying that Murray hasn't had mental issues, especially pre-Lendl, but that's if you're comparing him to all-time greats. The funny thing is he often gets annoyed with himself during matches, but if he wins the match everyone forgets and the journalists say he was calm, when he wasn't! Then when he loses a match, suddenly it's because he was getting annoyed with himself. But isn't it funny how these supposed mental meltdowns tend to happen when he's playing a player who is better than him? Maybe he lost because, you know, they're bettter players than he is.
When Murray is playing players he is better than, does he appear to be a mental weakling? On the contrary, look overall at Murray's matches against anyone other than the big 3 and he has been amazingly mentally strong.

Murray did have an issue with not being able to reset mentally - I remember that WD SF in 2011 against Nadal where Murray was leading, he missed a big shot, and then his game went downhill. But the thing is, Nadal, being the better player, would very likely have won that match anyway. And in this year's AO final, where, as I say, I expected something similar, based upon comments in the media, I didn't see this at all. Murray got distracted briefly, but this didn't cost him the match, he was essentially just outplayed towards the end. He looked physically and mentally spent.

I do think that murray has, at times, not been aggressive enough in his matches against the big 3. But again, I doubt that him doing so would have affected the final outcome because, as I say, they are better players than him. I think people would agree that Djokovic was below par in the 2 slam finals in which murray beat him. It was this, combined with murray playing well on, and being more aggressive on, big points, that won him those matches. But the fact that Djokovic had to be sub-par for murray to win tells you that EVEN WHEN MURRAY PLAYS WELL, and does not have the supposed mental problems that people accuse him of, he STILL needs 'help' from his big 3 opponent for him to win, because they are, simply, better. Thus it is not murray's mentality that loses him these matches, but the superior quality of opponent.

I am not saying murray did not deserve to win his two majors. On the contrary, I am saying he would have already won more majors in a less strong era, and people might not be wittering on so much about his supposed 'mental turdness'.

I mean, which majors exactly has Murray lost due to his 'on court demeanour'? His first grand slam final, when he had come off a 2-day match against one GOAT-contender, Nadal, only to have to play ANOTHER GOAT-contender in the final, Fed, who was not only fresher but who had won the tournament the last 4 years, was vastly more experienced, and who was simply a better player?

Was he meant to win his other slam finals against arguably the greatest ever, Fed? Or was it the ones in 2011 where he lost to Nadal in the SFs, when even if he'd won he would have then had to play ANOTHER all-time great, Djokovic, in the final? Was he supposed to win, in your eyes, when he played the greatest clay court player of all time on clay in his 2 FO SFs against him? Or when he played the greatest grass court player of all time on grass in the WD final? Or when he played the greatest AO player of the open era in 3 AO finals?

Honestly, I think you're being unbelievably harsh on Andy.

"I strongly disagree that Murray's on court demeanour has cost him multiple slams. Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have cost him multiple slams."

Sorry, this has no corelation to the facts. He is the only one that has collapsed mentally and burned up mental energy with his negative antics on dozens of occasions. There WERE NO mental meltdowns from Joker, Federer, or Nadal to speak of.

He is the only one to win a slam and so meekly fizzle out the next year.

Harsh? Probably being too kind.

He is not known as "Miserable Murray" for nothing in the UK.

He has a lot of problems. The revolving cast of coaches, contracts that don't get renewed..what is he on..his 3rd or 4th clothing sponsorship?

Smell the coffee.

I asked you to give me one example of when Murray's 'mental antics', as you put it, have lost him slams. You have not done so. You have just talked vaguely about 'dozens of occasions'. This is exactly the lazy criticism of Andy I am talking about.

As I say, I am not saying Andy hasn't had mental issues, but just that I don't think they have cost him slams. Playing in an era where there are three players who are simply better than him has been the problem.

It's funny, because in a way you are too harsh on Andy, but it is because you are too complimentary. You assume that if Andy didn't have his (overrated) mental issues that he would have beaten Nadal, Djokovic and Fed more often, ignoring the fact that they are technically and physically superior to him. You are complimenting him by innacurately placing him in the same tier of greatness as them, and then knocking him when he doesn't live up to your innacurate expectations.

"He is the only one to win a slam and so meekly fizzle out the next year."

This is complete nonsense. The year after Murray won his first slam, he won his first tournament of the year, reached the final of the AO, won the Miami Masters, won Queens Club, and won Wimbledon. How is that 'meekly fizzling out'?
Or did you mean after he won Wimbledon? In which case, at the next slam Murray was in so much pain with his back he was having to spend hours and hours in physio just to be able to get on the court. He still reached the QFs, losing to Wawrinka. Hardly a disgrace. Then he, you know, had BACK SURGERY! And was unable to train properly, and was playing through pain, till at least the Autumn of 2014. So again, describing this as 'fizzling out' is ridiculous.

"He is not known as "Miserable Murray" for nothing in the UK."

I agree that Murray can have a miserable demeanour on court. I am not arguing with you here. :) Although it stems from a perfectionism that is part of what makes him as good as he is, the intensity that he brings to the court - and I will say again, what I disagree with is not that he can be miserable on court, but that this has cost him slams.
He is also known as "Miserable Murray" in the media because ignorant extroverts - and people in the media are often extroverts - confuse a shy, introverted personality with being miserable. I know because I am an introverted person, and although I am polite and actually very content inwardly, people sometimes think I am miserable because I am not smiling and jumping around with glee all the time. Anyone who has ever come into contact with Murray personally describes him as polite, with a good sense of humour. He is clearly a decent human being - he does a lot of charity work - and has a nice line in self-deprecating humour. One of my favourites of his was when a journalist asked: What's the most boring thing about the ATP tour?
Murray: My voice?

"Revolving cast of coaches"? Changing coaches every few years is hardly abnormal in professional tennis.

You are the one who needs to smell the coffee. I see Murrray for the level of player he is. You are seeing him as better than he is, and then criticising him for not being as good as players he is simply not as good as. I agree that Murray could improve further mentally, and if he does, this could help him to win more if Fed and Nadal are not at their best and Djok has an off day. But I cannot think of a single slam so far where his mental issues have been the only thing standing between him and the Championship. Three superior players have been standing in his way, surely you must see that.

To be honest, your posts are too long for me to respond to.

But to be brief...

Murray IS as good as the other three, and he is NOT as good as the other three.

His 1st serve, Backhand, and movement are every bit as good.

His forehand, second serve, and court positioning are NOT as good.

We TOTALLY agree on the forehand and second serve. As a matter of fact the technical issues with his forehand are what kept him behind the other three for so long.

But despite these glaring weaknesses, his strengths were good enough to allow him to push the other three to their absolute limits. He DID beat Novak in 2 slam finals let us not forget.

BTW, when I said he fizzled, I specifically meant in the slam he was defending, not over the course of the season.

You can spin Murray's behaviour and demeanor all you want with psycho babble 101, the bottom line it has diminished his career and absolutely cost him major titles and one day he will regret it.

Bodo was spot on. I spend a lot of time watching junior tennis and he behaves EXACTLY like the spoiled brats I often see.

The bottom line is negative body language leads to negative results. This is scientifically proven and not up for debate.

Do the other three having running, foul mouthed dialog with their box?

Do the other three grab body parts?

Do the other three play joyless tennis?

No, No, an NO.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude said:
Luxilon Borg and Great Hands, it sounds like you are both emphasizing two different aspects of Murray that aren't mutually exclusive. GH is saying that he loses to the Big Three because they're simply better, while LB says its because of mental meltdowns. Isn't it both? I mean, LB are you saying that Murray is not inferior to the Big Three? You seem to imply that he's equally talented but doesn't have the same mental edge. And GH, isn't mentality part of talent? So isn't part of the reason he's not as good as the Big Three because he lacks their mental fortitude?

In other words, I think you guys are a lot closer than your disagreement implies.

As I posted to Hands:

Murray is as good as the other three in elite movement, 1st serve, and backhand department.

He also is an incredible fighter.

But the forehand, second serve, and court positioning, and underdevloped transition game make him #4 on that list.

The negative body language, the tirades, the fake injuries, and the running monologues with himself and his box DRAIN ENERGY.

This has been his downfall.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
OK, let's not drive the new guy away after his 1st day of posting!?:snicker

It seems to me that we all agree that Andy is a great player, but lacks a bit in technical and mental aspects. I sometimes feel like I am crazy for not hating or disliking anybody so much. I always root for somebody, very rarely against somebody. I also think that all players try to do the best they can, at the end of the day the results are there for all of us to see, we can't be completely fooled.:cool:

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Billie said:

It seems to me that we all agree that Andy is a great player, but lacks a bit in technical and mental aspects. I sometimes feel like I am crazy for not hating or disliking anybody so much. I always root for somebody, very rarely against somebody. I also think that all players try to do the best they can, at the end of the day the results are there for all of us to see, we can't be completely fooled.:cool:

Huh? Whose driving who away? Fair and friendly debate.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
Billie said:

Yes, it's been fair and friendly so far, but these things can spiral out of control pretty quickly. New posters don't necessarily know everybody here so being encouraging and friendly especially at the beginning means a lot to them, meant a lot to me.

And some of the criticism of Murray have been too harsh, I agree with that.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Billie said:
Luxilon Borg said:
Billie said:

Yes, it's been fair and friendly so far, but these things can spiral out of control pretty quickly. New posters don't necessarily know everybody here so being encouraging and friendly especially at the beginning means a lot to them, meant a lot to me.

And some of the criticism of Murray have been too harsh, I agree with that.
Fair enough..but I don't see anything spiraling. Valid points made on both sides.

A

auto-pilot

Murray could win a lot of slams because Nadal might focus on clay after age 30 (but I have a sneaking suspicion Nadal will always be tempted by the US Open), and Djokovic seems like someone who might value other things over tennis.
So Wimbledon, US Open and Australian Open might be all free for Murray to win (but he'll have to fight off Nishikori and Raonic).
Yes Murray will get older and decline too, but he seems the most committed to physical fitness, so he should be able to get by with his fitness for longer than most.
And because the UK values Wimbledon so much, it looks like Murray is obsessed with Wimbledon and will try to rack up those Wimbledon titles for as long as he can walk.
And there are not many players suited to grass (especially in terms of movement), so Murray may be unchallenged for a long time if Djokovic/Nadal/Federer are out of the picture.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Raonic has a winning h2h over Murray and I'd give this new better version of Raonic a more than good shot against Murray at Wimbledon and same with Berdych. So far Murray has racked up a whole one Wimbledon.

A

auto-pilot

Yeah Nishikori and Raonic are the biggest threats to Murray (if he sees off Nadal/Djokovic/Federer).
But Nishikori has physical issues that won't help him at the slams, and Raonic has mental issues so Murray should get plenty of look-ins at the slams if those guys end up being his only threats.

The key for the big 4 (Murray/Nadal/Djokovic/Federer) is to stay undefeated versus Nishikori/Raonic for as long as possible so even after physical decline they can continue to beat Nishikori/Raonic via the aura/mental scar tissue factor.

Nadal is undefeated versus Nishikori/Raonic/Dimitrov.
But Murray/Djokovic have already lost, and most notably at the slams (Murray lost to Dimitrov at Wimbledon, and Djokovic lost to Nishikori at US Open).

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
auto-pilot said:
Yeah Nishikori and Raonic are the biggest threats to Murray (if he sees off Nadal/Djokovic/Federer).
But Nishikori has physical issues that won't help him at the slams, and Raonic has mental issues so Murray should get plenty of look-ins at the slams if those guys end up being his only threats.

The key for the big 4 (Murray/Nadal/Djokovic/Federer) is to stay undefeated versus Nishikori/Raonic for as long as possible so even after physical decline they can continue to beat Nishikori/Raonic via the aura/mental scar tissue factor.

Nadal is undefeated versus Nishikori/Raonic/Dimitrov.
But Murray/Djokovic have already lost, even at the slams.

Ah yes, delete your last 2 posts only to get back on track to discussing Nadal. Good stuff. Well, I'd fancy this new improved version of Raonic's chances against Nadal these days personally. Oops I discussed Nadal too. But only in response to your man love for him.

Did Murray impress you at Wimbledon last year 'cos he sure didn't impress me and he won't be racking up titles there anytime soon if he plays like he did last year. Wouldn't have taken much to beat him last year from anyone.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh and btw, Nadal was being destroyed by Nishikori in Madrid till he got injured so may want to keep that in mind when you say he's undefeated against him.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
auto-pilot said:
^ Maybe you want to delete your N***L posts.

Nah, they're but a mere drop in the ocean compared to yours on every damn thread.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
No less mature than spamming every thread with stuff on Nadal. Almost as mature as deleting your posts a few minutes ago only to make sure the final draft had more Nadal in it. Yes, I saw you deleting your last 2 posts here about Murray but the final one you left had to put in more Nadal related nonsense about being undefeated against Nishikori/Raonic/Dimitrov. :rolleyes: This thread is about Murray. Not Nadal.

A

auto-pilot

^ Well I post about tennis, unlike you.
Sorry if I had to mention the big 4 to make a point about Murray jeopardizing his aura.
I hope you can get over it one day and post about tennis again.