Roland Garros Day 8: Sunday, June 1 - Order of Play

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
DarthFed said:
I see big bad Berd got through easily :(

Does he worry you as much here, though, as, say, Wimbledon?

More so, I think Roger's problems vs. Berdych figure to be worse on slower courts. Had the same conversation with GSM and he thought the other way around. We will see, if Roger takes care of Ernie. Gulbis and Berd would actually be a very interesting matchup but I have no interest in seeing it.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Too many backhand to backhand exchanges for Roger. For Roger against Gulbis that is a losing strategy the vast majority of the time.

He probably recognizes that running around his backhand is key to winning this match so he's just waiting for the opportunity. This means having to exchange backhands. He always has the slice to fall back on too, which helps in this pattern of point construction.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
DarthFed said:
tented said:
DarthFed said:
I see big bad Berd got through easily :(

Does he worry you as much here, though, as, say, Wimbledon?

More so, I think Roger's problems vs. Berdych figure to be worse on slower courts. Had the same conversation with GSM and he thought the other way around. We will see, if Roger takes care of Ernie. Gulbis and Berd would actually be a very interesting matchup but I have no interest in seeing it.

Roger would definitely prefer a faster court against Berdych. However, this is clay, as opposed to a slow hard court so I don't know how the dynamics will work. I reckon Berdych will still hurt him given that he's got a lot of time to set up his shots and overpower him, but Roger is more clay savvy and will eventually start breaking rhythm and turn rallies around.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Murray is still navigating his matches on the account of being a better, smarter, more experienced player than his opponents, as opposed to being comfortable on clay. The problem is his rally shots tend to lack pop, so a lot of the time he's throwing out harmless mid-court shots that get his opponent on top, and Andy can't turn the rallies around and counter-punch as effectively on this surface. I actually think Verdasco will trouble him.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger's main problem with Berdych is that he has trouble getting the big guy on the defensive. Berd on the otherhand has no problem taking it to Roger and really abuses the second serve. And despite it being clay we all know Berd can hit through the courts no problem.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Roger's main problem with Berdych is that he has trouble getting the big guy on the defensive. Berd on the otherhand has no problem taking it to Roger and really abuses the second serve. And despite it being clay we all know Berd can hit through the courts no problem.

Berdych hits so big that he'll hit through any court, regardless of speed. He might actually prefer the courts to play a little slower since that would make it harder for his opponents to take time away from him and move him around. So I'm sure he won't be having problems penetrating Roger's defenses. However, it's a twofold issue, as clay also favors the superior mover and Roger will have more chances to navigate rallies a little better when he's on the defensive, maybe use his slice a little bit, absorb some of what Berdych throws and turn things around. I think we'll be seeing Roger drawing Berdych to the net a lot if Tomas is the one doing the dictating. Eventually, I think Federer starts taking charge of the rallies.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Regardless the only way I see Roger winning is by serving very well. Clay or not once Roger is on the defensive against Berd I don't think he is turning it around. His defense isn't anywhere near what it used to be.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Check out the Federer/Berdych head-to-head:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=F324&oId=BA47

They've played only once on clay since 2006, and that was on the blue "clard" of Madrid.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The worrying thing for Fed is that his rally groundstrokes are falling a little short, especially from the backhand wing. Now Gulbis' forehand isn't consistently good enough to take advantage, but I suspect Berdych will have an easier time doing that.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
And Gulbis misses a volley that looked impossible to miss. Roger will take that gift

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Boy, Roger is going to regret that overhead if he gets broken here.

Tennis Miller

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
It's getting close to 90 mins for the Gulbis match. Look for Fed's level to drop off considerably.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Oh my...if Roger doesn't win this set it's going to be a disaster.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Great get by Gulbis on the first set point, awful overhead, and suddenly back on serve.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Tennis Miller said:
It's getting close to 90 mins for the Gulbis match. Look for Fed's level to drop off considerably.

That would be a problem as it's not that high to begin with.