Roland Garros Day 8: Sunday, June 1 - Order of Play

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Went to the gym when Fed and Gulbis were just about to start the 2nd set TB, not knowing Fed had 40-15 at 5-4 'cos I was in and out of the room the whole time before that. Reading all the comments here ('cos I was stuck on page 4 before I left) it seems a horrific overhead is what Fed will be kicking himself over. From what I watched he was passive as hell and didn't deserve to win anyway. Hats off to Gulbis. Makes it easier to swallow when a player I like beats Fed. Just hope Fed does better next 2 slams this year though. From what I watched he was playing very passive and inoffensive. Kind of PG as opposed to 18's certified Fed.

This sums it up pretty well. The overhead was hit right back to Gulbis and then he rallied and broke. Roger didn't attack the Ernie forehand enough and didn't go after his own forehand enough after he lost confidence in it. The backhand is just a disaster at this point, especially on this surface. It was all to easy for Gulbis once he was getting fed cupcakes from the Roger backhand.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Front242 said:
Went to the gym when Fed and Gulbis were just about to start the 2nd set TB, not knowing Fed had 40-15 at 5-4 'cos I was in and out of the room the whole time before that. Reading all the comments here ('cos I was stuck on page 4 before I left) it seems a horrific overhead is what Fed will be kicking himself over. From what I watched he was passive as hell and didn't deserve to win anyway. Hats off to Gulbis. Makes it easier to swallow when a player I like beats Fed. Just hope Fed does better next 2 slams this year though. From what I watched he was playing very passive and inoffensive. Kind of PG as opposed to 18's certified Fed.

This sums it up pretty well. The overhead was hit right back to Gulbis and then he rallied and broke. Roger didn't attack the Ernie forehand enough and didn't go after his own forehand enough after he lost confidence in it. The backhand is just a disaster at this point, especially on this surface. It was all to easy for Gulbis once he was getting fed cupcakes from the Roger backhand.

I kind of had a feeling Fed wouldn't win 2 TBs in a row but walking home from the gym I had 7-6 7-6 6-4 in my head. That didn't quite work out that way! :s Anyway, hopefully Fed does better rest of the year but equally so I'd like to see Gulbis hit the top 10 now and build on this.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
First match I am seeing Novak playing this week, enjoying the view:cool:

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
DarthFed said:
Front242 said:

I kind of had a feeling Fed wouldn't win 2 TBs in a row but walking home from the gym I had 7-6 7-6 6-4 in my head. That didn't quite work out that way! :s Anyway, hopefully Fed does better rest of the year but equally so I'd like to see Gulbis hit the top 10 now and build on this.

im not too worried about this loss. generally speaking i didnt expect him to win FO anyway. i expected him to lose to berdych anyway so its not a big deal he lost to guy with similar game style

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Tsonga has woken up a bit, big game here for Nole to go up 2 sets.

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
tsonga got one of the breaks back. can he get the other?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Both Fed and Gulbis' post match press conferences should be interesting anyway.

1908018_842773732410306_3835891508106270842_n.jpg

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Rose said:
Sexist pig or not--Ernie :heart:

I read all the comments on tennis.com and for the life of me I can't see what the hell people are calling him sexist for.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tsonga can't buy a shot. Is this guy coming from injury? He looks really bad to me. Or is it Djokovic who is making hard for him.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Gulbis says he does not like to take MTOs but he had to do it and he did not want to do it in the 5th. and he definitely did not want to take it before Roger's serve but it was necessary.

Roger says rules are what they are and one might as well take advantage of it. He was pretty calm about it. Roger knows he lost fair and square.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
herios said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
herios said:
Losing in the 4th round for Roger at RG is just one more step on his downhill trend from his heights.

Wait, we still have to say that Federer is declining after every loss? I think you're a good 4 years too late.

Nope I am not.
Roger at RG:

2011 Final
2012 SF
2013 QF
2014 4th round.
Have you heard about a linear decline?
This is a classical one.

Yeah, that's how a decline works. You get worse. Not better. Earth shattering data.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
You know the scene in Matrix where Neo , for the first time, discovers he is the One, and fights with Agent Smith, nonchalant, with one arm behind his back, faster than lightning, with bigger things on his mind, barely acknowledging Smith's presence? This match is what it feels like to me...as if Tsonga has not even managed to get Nole's attention yet.

I know Nole is in the present, that's for sure, but for some reason I just thought about that scene.

R

Rose

Front242 said:
Rose said:

I read all the comments on tennis.com and for the life of me I can't see what the hell people are calling him sexist for.

He made some remarks about woman being at home with children instead of playing tennis. I think it was played up to be a lot more than what it actual was myself.

And besides their have been mothers not only playing tennis, but winning :D

Oh and it was so nice of Andy to finally win his Match :rolleyes:

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I had to miss all the action today. But go Ernie and Novak! I finally stop using him as my wild card, and he has the nerve to finally come through.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My Berdie in the semi's pick is actually looking pretty good too.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Rose said:
Front242 said:
Rose said:

He made some remarks about woman being at home with children instead of playing tennis. I think it was played up to be a lot more than what it actual was myself.

Well, he was asked about his sisters. He stated that he would not want them to play professionally because they would have to delay starting a family until their thirties... etc.

Maria Sharapova actually backed him up when she was asked.

Haber called him a misogynist. My response is that not everyone has the same culture and beliefs about family - not even in America. I guess judging others for having differing viewpoints is part of human nature.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Rose said:
Front242 said:
Rose said:

I know, I read the comment but he was clearly provoked to say something or the subject was diverted to WTA. He doesn't just say this when asked how he thinks he's gonna do at Roland Garros, for example :D

He's completely right imo. It is a tough way of life with all the constant traveling, dedication to diet, training, not going out clubbing, having a few drinks, partying etc when you're young though he used to do that a lot himself and most women would ideally prefer to have their kids before hitting thirty so I personally don't see anything sexist at all about it :)

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/05/gulbis-female-players-need-think-about-kids/51610/#.U4tcXSg9C2U