Roland Garros - Day 1, Sunday May 24 - Order of Play

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Carol35 said:
The bigest problem of MacEnroe as commentator is he likes to talk too much and most of the times about himself but his brother is not too much better :nono

Carol, mostly all the top sports analyst talk too much, John Madden did in American football, Tim McCarver does in baseball, Jeff Van Gundy does in basketball and Johnny Miller and Nick Faldo does in golf. What all these guys have in common is that they are brutally honest. Mac has angered the Fed fans because he says, although Roger has the grand slam titles lead he isn't so sure he is the greatest ever because he has been dominated while he was in his prime by one guy, Rafa. Why isn't Rafa the greatest if he has almost as many grand slams titles .

I agree that most of the things he says about every players is right, no dubts about it (he knows about the game more than all of us) but sometimes during the points he keeps talking about what he did years ego or something else, and then I'd like to tell him "John, say something about that shot, or that
forehand, backhand or whatever" :rolleyes:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
What about Brat Gilbert? when he is talking I get sleepy :violins:

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
the AntiPusher said:
Carol35 said:
The bigest problem of MacEnroe as commentator is he likes to talk too much and most of the times about himself but his brother is not too much better :nono

Carol, mostly all the top sports analyst talk too much, John Madden did in American football, Tim McCarver does in baseball, Jeff Van Gundy does in basketball and Johnny Miller and Nick Faldo does in golf. What all these guys have in common is that they are brutally honest. Mac has angered the Fed fans because he says, although Roger has the grand slam titles lead he isn't so sure he is the greatest ever because he has been dominated while he was in his prime by one guy, Rafa. Why isn't Rafa the greatest if he has almost as many grand slams titles .

Not this Fed fan. I could not care less about what he thinks the best player ever is. His problem is he has no idea what he believes. It changes from shot to shot. He sees a volley from Rafa ( and by volley I mean redirecting a ball softly to the empty court ) and that is the best volley he has ever seen. Go watch some 2011 footage and you will hear that Nole was the best ever. Before that it was Roger of course. It will probably be Nole if he wins RG this year, until it is Rafa again when he comes back, or dare I say it, Roger, if he adds to his slam count.
He has no idea what he is saying most of the time.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think John knows what he says but I don't think he has a favorite player (or if he has he is trying to cover it) so depending who is playing better or with a good streak then he says wonders about that specific player trying to be fair :plot and not like his brother who is very obvious who is his fav :rolleyes:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Billie said:
But they are really close, Murat.;)

To all: I just read this, isn't it cool?

68d9b72a983a696d284f253a0ee454a0.jpg

I like it!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Carol35 said:

He ain't the greatest because almost isn't the same as "as many" I think Rafa would gladly take an inferior H2H for a difference of 3 slams.

Mac is a mediocre commentator and yes, I will admit that part of it is that he is all butt hurt after Roger more or less refused his help/didn't hire him as coach in early 2009 after Rafa was beating him in all those finals. He has been a scorned woman since and can't hide how much he can't stand Roger. I thought he was about to cry on air during the Wimbledon semi last year.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
DarthFed said:
the AntiPusher said:
Carol35 said:

He ain't the greatest because almost isn't the same as "as many" I think Rafa would gladly take an inferior H2H for a difference of 3 slams.

Mac is a mediocre commentator and yes, I will admit that part of it is that he is all butt hurt after Roger more or less refused his help/didn't hire him as coach in early 2009 after Rafa was beating him in all those finals. He has been a scorned woman since and can't hide how much he can't stand Roger. I thought he was about to cry on air during the Wimbledon semi last year.

I had no idea McEnroe was lobbying for a job with Roger! John was done when he dropped DC so abruptly within a year of begging for that job only to be dissed by his past supporters! IIRC, players like Sampras, Courier, and Agassi didn't jump on board to compete as he thought they would for him! The team barely won Ties with countries like Zimbabwe with so many of the top players in the world unavailable when really needed! Losing to Spain in 2000 was the last straw and he jumped ship! :cover :puzzled :nono :angel: :dodgy: I guess they didn't want to change the monogram towels and programs so they hired Patrick who took over the captaincy! :p :ras: :angel:

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Carol35 said:
I think John knows what he says but I don't think he has a favorite player (or if he has he is trying to cover it) so depending who is playing better or with a good streak then he says wonders about that specific player trying to be fair :plot and not like his brother who is very obvious who is his fav :rolleyes:

Absolutely nothing wrong with having a clear favorite. We all have one, so does brother Mac. Better than flip flopping from match to match.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I've never heard about John tried to be Roger's coach but I remember to read about Muzz

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/john-mcenroe-backed-to-be-next-andy-murray-coach-9438008.html

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Carol35 said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with having a clear favorite. We all have one, so does brother Mac. Better than flip flopping from match to match.

I don't see anything wrong either but as commentators they should be more impartial

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
britbox said:
the AntiPusher said:
It's too bad that NBC , ESPN and TC hasn't figure out why they have been paying him millions for his tennis commentaries when they have obviously over looked your talents and the without a second thought comments that we have been so blessed by here on this board.

John McEnroe is an appalling commentator. Probably the worst in the business.
Maybe your distain for him is high but apparently he is the number on tennis analyst for a reason.

I don't have disdain for him personally - just his commentary. I like very few American commentators because they generally exaggerate so much.

I prefer European or Australian/NZ commentators although my personal favourite is the South African Frew MacMillan. People like MacMillan don't feel a need for exaggeration and hyperbole or try to make a match appear as something it really isn't.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Carol35 said:

Yeah, sure pal... I like Wilander in the booth (think he said something similar to Mac re: Fed/Nadal)... but dislike Mac for the same reason. Go figure.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
britbox said:
the AntiPusher said:
Carol35 said:

Yeah, sure pal... I like Wilander in the booth (think he said something similar to Mac re: Fed/Nadal)... but dislike Mac for the same reason. Go figure.

Wilander was one of those "so called" experts that didn't think Nole could beat Rafa on clay a few years ago; or best of 5 anywhere! Not sure if I heard an apology for being so wrong! :nono :angel: :dodgy:

Haelfix

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Wilander often says the most unusual stuff. I must admit, it's often completely random and will contradict something he's said the day before.

JMac you know says things for ratings. Which is fine. Courier is the same way. I like both of them most of the time.

Carillo is a horrible commentator.

Very few analysts I really like listening too. Gilbert at least gives some interesting commentary.

Shamal90

Reactions
A very good star for ROGER!
A strange thing inside the court when the guy tried for a selfie...

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
britbox said:
the AntiPusher said:
It's too bad that NBC , ESPN and TC hasn't figure out why they have been paying him millions for his tennis commentaries when they have obviously over looked your talents and the without a second thought comments that we have been so blessed by here on this board.

Maybe your distain for him is high but apparently he is the number on tennis analyst for a reason.

Because he's recognizable and was popular (for better or worse) as a player. Let's not act like simply being in a position means you've earned it or you're good at it (see Brooks, Scott). Americans watch that Kardashian reality TV. I wouldn't use it as an example of that family having talent.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
Mac is not a good commentator. Just because someone is getting to do something doesn't mean he's great at it.
I knew this was coming , anti Mac ..

No, my man. More like anti-$hitty commentary.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
the AntiPusher said:
britbox said:

Because he's recognizable and was popular (for better or worse) as a player. Let's not act like simply being in a position means you've earned it or you're good at it (see Brooks, Scott). Americans watch that Kardashian reality TV. I wouldn't use it as an example of that family having talent.
Its opinion, I not the only poster who thinks that John adds value and Mary Carillo is absolutely horrible,