Roland Garros - Day 1, Sunday May 24 - Order of Play

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
Roger's forehand placement is good, and he definitely should have played like this in Rome, but some of his backhand returns... Unwatchable
Djokovic would have hit a return winner on like half of Falla's serves.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It's pretty bad when you almost can't see the tennis for the outfit. Yikes Federer. Wimbledon can't come soon enough. :dodgy:

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nike likes those sherbet colors. Wondering what flavor of pink they put on Rafa this year...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Lol, what timing. Was chatting to friends there for ages and literally just clicked back on the stream of Fed's match for the handshake. Doh. Nice routine fast win anyhow and straight away he starts the tournament with more rest days than the others.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Glad to hear he's hitting the forehand well 'cos it was awol most of Rome.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:

He wasn't rushed the way he was in Rome. He looked solid out there today.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
nehmeth said:
Front242 said:

It is a double edged sword for Roger. It is slower conditions here and as Cahill was saying, he had more time to line up the forehand. But we all know he has a better chance to win events if they are played on faster courts...So, what do you do?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Commentator on the stream I'm on says Federer says the conditions are way slower and the bounce is nowhere near as high as it used to be. That's likely why Karlovic lost today as his serve was neutralized. Nadal's topspin bounce won't be anywhere near as deadly if the conditions stay like this. Good news for Novak against him and indeed anyone else too. On the downside, it's harder in general for aggressive play in these conditions.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I got itv4 doing the French open telly coverage. that means the verbal toilet that is jim courier using 438485 words when really only 4 words are needed.:huh:

Federer breezed through in straights. decent start.,

anyone see the stanimal ?..stillgot those fashion crime/ essence-of-Jackson-Pollock boxer shorts as his oncourt attire.:dodgy: still won easily, so has improved on his 2014 rg effort.

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Nike likes those sherbet colors. Wondering what flavor of pink they put on Rafa this year...

remember a back while there was this dress everyone was wondering whether it was blue black pr white gold haha. is it pink it is orange. we will never know

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Glad that a minor threat to Fed is gone with Karlovic taken out by, of all people, a Baggie in decline.

Did you all see that dude wanting a selfie with Fed?:nono

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Glad to see Gulbis won. Tuned in just for the final point and he won with a quality drop shot.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
nehmeth said:
Front242 said:

It is a double edged sword for Roger. It is slower conditions here and as Cahill was saying, he had more time to line up the forehand. But we all know he has a better chance to win events if they are played on faster courts...So, what do you do?

From what I observed (except for some errant backhands here and there) he was striking the ball cleanly. Other than the clothing, I liked what I saw from him.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am watching Tsonga - Lindell match with Mark Woodford commenting, and he keeps calling Tsonga the number 1 French player.
I guess Mark did not check the rankings lately, it has been several weeks since Tsonga fell below Simon.