Qatar Exxon Mobil Open 2019 - Doha - ATP 250

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The 2017 slump left me slightly rattled. As TGS says, competition is not too strong at the moment, but I’m still worried.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
This does not bode well for the AO.

This bodes well for AO (may be not for Novak). :lol6:

Even though Nole won two GS last year, he had lost to Tsitsipas, Khachanov and Sasha last year (after winning
Wimbledon, his first conquest after Deepika). Now, with loss of sets to two different players and a loss of match today,
Novak has proved he is not invincible. Further Roger has shown that he could hang with rejuvenated Novak by taking
him to the limits, even though he lost.

Hopefully, TMF will win this AO again and become the lone leader of AO titles.

Go Fed! :cheerleader:

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

Even though Nole won two GS last year, he had lost to Tsitsipas, Khachanov and Sasha last year (after winning
Wimbledon, his first conquest after Deepika). Now, with loss of sets to two different players and a loss of match today,
Novak has proved he is not invincible. Further Roger has shown that he could hang with rejuvenated Novak by taking

When was that, 2015? lol! Nole's only played Fed once of late and he was eviscerated at Cincy Masters back in Aug.! That was Roger's best chance with the speed of the court and it wasn't even a contest! :lol3: :yesyes: :p :rolleyes: :ptennis:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
When was that, 2015? lol! Nole's only played Fed once of late and he was eviscerated at Cincy Masters back in Aug.! That was Roger's best chance with the speed of the court and it wasn't even a contest! :lol3: :yesyes: :p :rolleyes: :ptennis:

Not talking about 2015. You forgot the semifinal of Bercy in 2018. Fed pushed Nole to three sets and finally Novak managed to win it in a TB in the third.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Not talking about 2015. You forgot the semifinal of Bercy in 2018. Fed pushed Nole to three sets and finally Novak managed to win it in a TB in the third.

True; but again Fed needs a fast court to rush Nole into errors! Not to sound like Rafa apologist, but he was ill around then; hence those late season losses to Next Gen opponents! :whistle: :facepalm: :banghead: :eek: :rolleyes: :ptennis:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Well, I wasn't going to say that, but since you did...yes, it gives hope to fans of those other than Novak. It would be nice for Rafa to finally get the elusive 2nd AO and complete the double career slam. Go, Rafa and stay healthy! :pompoms:

Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Well, I wasn't going to say that, but since you did...yes, it gives hope to fans of those other than Novak. It would be nice for Rafa to finally get the elusive 2nd AO and complete the double career slam. Go, Rafa and stay healthy! :pompoms:

I will never object to a diversity of winners, but I wouldn't object to Nole continuing this run to catch up to Fedal! He deserves it! :whistle: :yesyes:

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I will never object to a diversity of winners, but I wouldn't object to Nole continuing this run to catch up to Fedal! He deserves it! :whistle: :yesyes:
If "deserves" is a thing in sports, (and I'm not sure how much it is, compared to what you actually do,) then Nadal "deserves" another AO...he's had terrible injury luck there. I get your point that Novak is a great champion, and the Fedal era does eclipse him somewhat. If he's to get his place, it's on him, though.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
If "deserves" is a thing in sports, (and I'm not sure how much it is, compared to what you actually do,) then Nadal "deserves" another AO...he's had terrible injury luck there. I get your point that Novak is a great champion, and the Fedal era does eclipse him somewhat. If he's to get his place, it's on him, though.

I've posted what I meant by that sentiment because of how the world has seen tennis since 2005! It's been about Fedal and only them for the duration! I've been ranting here, my blogs, and elsewhere that Nole's still considered a 3rd wheel in the history of the game! He's matched up well with them, gotten praise and objectivity from the EXPERTS, and continues plugging away! That's what I mean by deserves it "in my head!" He's the Lendl of his era; unfairly thought of while living in the wake of legacies like Borg, Connors, and McEnroe! Will continue to treat those 2 with a little more reverence for what they accomplished! :whistle: :yesyes: :rolleyes: :ptennis:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I've posted what I meant by that sentiment because of how the world has seen tennis since 2005! It's been about Fedal and only them for the duration! I've been ranting here, my blogs, and elsewhere that Nole's still considered a 3rd wheel in the history of the game! He's matched up well with them, gotten praise and objectivity from the EXPERTS, and continues plugging away! That's what I mean by deserves it "in my head!" He's the Lendl of his era; unfairly thought of while living in the wake of legacies like Borg, Connors, and McEnroe! Will continue to treat those 2 with a little more reverence for what they accomplished!

I can understand why it's frustrating for Djokovic fans that he came late to a party that had Fedal already written into history, especially given his talents and accomplishments. But they're all still playing. It's on them how it shuffles out in the end. But there always will be a "Fedal rivalry," and Djokovic is the 3rd man in that conversation. Sometimes you can't fight the more compelling narrative.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I can understand why it's frustrating for Djokovic fans that he came late to a party that had Fedal already written into history, especially given his talents and accomplishments. But they're all still playing. It's on them how it shuffles out in the end. But there always will be a "Fedal rivalry," and Djokovic is the 3rd man in that conversation. Sometimes you can't fight the more compelling narrative.

But that's the thing; there is no real Fedal rivalry; maybe a little more so NOW! Back in the day Nadal owned Federer lock, stock, & barrel! We all knew it = when giving Roger an "out" by saying most of those victories were on clay! The dominance was just more pronounced since the biggest stage witnessed on clay was in Paris and it was a yearly event for a while seeing Roger rarely coming close to winning over Rafa! It was ugly and many times I didn't even watch the highlights; or lowlights as I may have "coined" back then! It didn't get much better on HC and grass as Nadal smacked him time and time again when Fed was expected to pull it out! It's a wonder Roger's taken the rivalry back with those 5 or 6 cons. victories over Nadal, but one or neither have gotten to appt. Rds in the last year! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead: :eek:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
But that's the thing; there is no real Fedal rivalry; maybe a little more so NOW! Back in the day Nadal owned Federer lock, stock, & barrel! We all knew it = when giving Roger an "out" by saying most of those victories were on clay! The dominance was just more pronounced since the biggest stage witnessed on clay was in Paris and it was a yearly event for a while seeing Roger rarely coming close to winning over Rafa! It was ugly and many times I didn't even watch the highlights; or lowlights as I may have "coined" back then! It didn't get much better on HC and grass as Nadal smacked him time and time again when Fed was expected to pull it out! It's a wonder Roger's taken the rivalry back with those 5 or 6 cons. victories over Nadal, but one or neither have gotten to appt. Rds in the last year! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead: :eek:
The top dog in tennis, when he finally got someone who could best him. Righty v. lefty, club class v. 21st C. game, Swiss cool v. Mediterranean passion, #1 v #2, even when it changed hands, etc. If you don't get why the narrative was compelling, I can't help you.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
The top dog in tennis, when he finally got someone who could best him. Righty v. lefty, club class v. 21st C. game, Swiss cool v. Mediterranean passion, #1 v #2, even when it changed hands, etc. If you don't get why the narrative was compelling, I can't help you.

Again, I never said it wasn't compelling for society! I just find it "manufactured" and have refused to be a part of it! It's all contrived nonsense I was sucked into early on, but the truth is out! :whistle: :yesyes: :cuckoo: :eek: :rolleyes: :ptennis:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Again, I never said it wasn't compelling for society! I just find it "manufactured" and have refused to be a part of it! It's all contrived nonsense I was sucked into early on, but the truth is out!

I don't agree that it was "manufactured." As you said, it was compelling for "society." Which means that the people liked it. It was neither "contrived", nor "nonsense." Roger and Rafa did actually reign as 1&2 for 6 years. They were a contrast in styles and an excellent rivalry. They divided the men's tennis fan world into two camps. That left really little room for Djokovic, when he finally made his way to the top. You already know this to be true, so stop complaining about it. Given the landscape, Novak has always had a bit of a tough road to hoe, in terms of making his mark. It's not unfair, it just is what it is. He's got time. Whatever they all make of it is what they do. Complaining doesn't make it different.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Doha Round-up

Semi-final

7-Roberto Bautista Agut beat 1-Novak Djokovic (SRB) 3-6 7-6(6) 6-4

Tomas Berdych (CZE) beat 4-Marco Cecchinato (ITA) 7-6(6) 6-3

Final: RBA v Berdych

Berdych leads the H2H 4-2

2016 Australian Open R16 Hard Tomas Berdych Roberto Bautista Agut 4-6 6-4 6-3 1-6 6-3
2015 Monte Carlo Masters R16 Clay Tomas Berdych Roberto Bautista Agut 7-6(7) 6-4
2014 FO - RG R32 Clay Tomas Berdych Roberto Bautista Agut 6-1 6-2 6-7(4) 6-4
2014 Indian Wells Masters R64 Hard Roberto Bautista Agut Tomas Berdych 4-6 6-2 6-4
2013 Bangkok R16 Hard Tomas Berdych Roberto Bautista Agut 6-3 6-3
2013 Chennai QF Hard Roberto Bautista Agut Tomas Berdych 7-5 2-6 6-3

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What little I've seen of this tournament, I'd pick RBA, as he does look really sharp, and was rather out-Djokovicing Djokovic.

Reactions: Fiero425

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
This is crazy. Mr. QF is in finals.:nono:

Down under Tsonga is making waves.:help:

Move over Fedal. This may be the year of Berdonga! :p :unsure::scratch:

Reactions: britbox and mrzz