Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't know if I read it here, but Rafa is the only player in history to win multiple slams in each of 3 different decades, which is fairly incredible, given how he was expected not to last so long. Don't see anyone equalling that soon. Also, if he gets back to #1, he might hold a similar record there... :clap:
Well, if he gets the YE#1 this year, he will be the oldest YE#1 (36.5 yrs) in Men's history!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Return Leaders,
In the past year- no one has won a higher percentage of points against their opponents first serve than Rafa Nadal.

36.8% Rafa Nadal
35.3% Novak Djokovic
34.3% Diego Schmartzman
30.9% Carlos Alcaraz
28.3% Daniil Medvedev

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
By this time next week, we will probably know if Nadal will play Acapulco or not. The tournament actually starts the 21st not the 28th. I am hoping he does skips it…
Well at present he is going to play a golf tournament,he has been practicing with Marc Lopez.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well my mail was correct

Rafa is on his way to Acapulco ATP500 tournament which starts on February 21st to February 26th.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Legendary tennis coach Jose Higueras,who has coached the likes of Roger Federer,Pete Sampras and Carlos Moyer has recently said.
"The thing I like most about Rafael Nadal is how simple he keeps everything".
Higueras further praised Nadal,saying that he was one of the 'most complete' players to have ever played the sport.Higueras was particularly in awe of how the World No 5 constantly changed things up to stay ahead of his opponents.
"When I think of Rafael Nadal,I think of Bjorn Borg,they are the most mentally similar guys on the ATP Tour I have seen.I thought Borg was a little stronger mentally,but I have now changed my mind on that,to be honest".

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Return Leaders,
In the past year- no one has won a higher percentage of points against their opponents first serve than Rafa Nadal.

36.8% Rafa Nadal
35.3% Novak Djokovic
34.3% Diego Schmartzman
30.9% Carlos Alcaraz
28.3% Daniil Medvedev
This is really a telling stat because it's always been assume that Novak's return of service was miles ahead of Rafa's Ros. I have a feeling that during 2004-2017 , Roger's return of service had to be in the top five.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The unique and eternal conflict for Rafa fans; more than ever we wish to see him play because Father Time is ticking, but with justified concern we don't want him to overplay and aggravate his chronic injuries/conditions.

However even a limited schedule for 20/21 didn't stop his chronic foot issues from flaring up, so for now if a rejuvenated Rafa chooses to play Acapulco and then Indian Wells, both HC, I'm good. Obviously he's feeling healthy and confident enough to take them both on and again, he's not burnt out because he's played 15-20 tournaments the last couple of years. Rafa knows his peak competitive years are coming to an end and wants to make hay while the sun shines.

Vamos Rafa !

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The unique and eternal conflict for Rafa fans; more than ever we wish to see him play because Father Time is ticking, but with justified concern we don't want him to overplay and aggravate his chronic injuries/conditions.

However even a limited schedule for 20/21 didn't stop his chronic foot issues from flaring up, so for now if a rejuvenated Rafa chooses to play Acapulco and then Indian Wells, both HC, I'm good. Obviously he's feeling healthy and confident enough to take them both on and again, he's not burnt out because he's played 15-20 tournaments the last couple of years. Rafa knows his peak competitive years are coming to an end and wants to make hay while the sun shines.

Vamos Rafa !
You are right that it is the eternal question. How long have we been complaining that he tended to overplay? (Which he does less, now.) And how long have we been wondering how long the body would hold out. (At least since 2009.) I'm not sure if Acapulco is a good idea, but we know he loves IW, and he wants to keep some level up. I'm trusting him. But the important thing is that it all lead smoothly into the clay season.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
You are right that it is the eternal question. How long have we been complaining that he tended to overplay? (Which he does less, now.) And how long have we been wondering how long the body would hold out. (At least since 2009.) I'm not sure if Acapulco is a good idea, but we know he loves IW, and he wants to keep some level up. I'm trusting him. But the important thing is that it all lead smoothly into the clay season.
Acapulco is a tournament that has always been a favorite tournament for Rafa.Rafa said after the AO he would play it,if he felt physically okay,I dont think he would go to the tournament if he didnt think he could compete.
Regarding his foot it has always been a concern,he has played with pain killers for many years,got Nike to rebuild the shoe etc.
It got to a stage where he could not stand the pain any longer,when he had the surgical procedure on his foot last year.,he said he was in pain for 2 years before that..Even after the procedure he was not sure if it would be successful,he even started taking about retirement with family and friends.
To be completely pain free in his foot,he would have to have the bone taken out,that would mean the end of his playing career,as he would not be able to run.This extreme surgery is for people that can hardly walk around,than goodness Rafa is not at that level.
I have seen photos and a video of Rafa,who has already arrived in Acapulco he looks happy and relaxed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am just hoping and praying he will be healthy! That's all I asked for and please do not play Madrid anymore, Rafa! No need to play that tournament anymore unless you are officially retiring.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am just hoping and praying he will be healthy! That's all I asked for and please do not play Madrid anymore, Rafa! No need to play that tournament anymore unless you are officially retiring.
Well he looks healthy and happy to me in Mexico,I watched him practice with Roig,I think all Rafa fans pray he does not play Madrid this year,though how many years have we been saying that lol!

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa can't start being afraid to play tournaments because he 'might' get injured again. He's feeling well and the foot is good so he should take advantage of the good situation and simply have fun and play.

So far he hasn't overplayed. After the AO he had a 3 week break, and now he's playing Acapulco for one week, and then he will have about 2 weeks of a break before Indian Wells. It's a very good schedule.

My guess is that he will skip Miami in order to give himself enough of a break and preparation on clay before Monte Carlo. If by chance he loses too early in Indian Wells then I could see him entering Miami at the last minute. But overall I think he's being very smart about his schedule.

Reactions: Jelenafan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa can't start being afraid to play tournaments because he 'might' get injured again. He's feeling well and the foot is good so he should take advantage of the good situation and simply have fun and play.

So far he hasn't overplayed. He had a 3 week break after the AO, and now he's playing Acapulco for one week, and then he will have about 2 weeks of a break before Indian Wells. It's a very good schedule.

My guess is that he will skip Miami in order to give himself enough of a break and preparation on clay before Monte Carlo. If by chance he loses too early in Indian Wells then I could see him playing Miami. But overall I think he's being very smart about his schedule.
Playing Mexico,then IW I think he will skip Miami to prepare for the clay season,

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Playing Mexico,then IW I think he will skip Miami to prepare for the clay season,
I know all of you are probably correct that he needs to play. With Rafa, it's like the concern for your child going to school the first day by themselves. You just don't know what you don't know. Hardcourt tennis takes a gigantic toll on a ATP and WTA body.
I think the tournament next week is okay because I know he will play the early rounds 3/4 speed regardless of the opponent.
IW - I wish he prefer if he just go and decide to play golf ONLY.
Go to the clay. MC, Barcelona Rome and RG

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I know all of you are probably correct that he needs to play. With Rafa, it's like the concern for your child going to school the first day by themselves. You just don't know what you don't know. Hardcourt tennis takes a gigantic toll on a ATP and WTA body.
I think the tournament next week is okay because I know he will play the early rounds 3/4 speed regardless of the opponent.
IW - I wish he prefer if he just go and decide to play golf ONLY.
Go to the clay. MC, Barcelona Rome and RG
I think we have all become 'mother hens' when it has come to Rafa and his body injuries and time off the tour of his career.
Like a young child you have to let them grow and mature and as a parent you cannot keep them in cotton wool,though at times you just want to.
After Mexico Rafa does have a break before IW,so I cannot really see him going there to play just golf.
I also agree with you like most Rafa fans hopefully he will skip Madrid this year.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I think we have all become 'mother hens' when it has come to Rafa and his body injuries and time off the tour of his career.
Like a young child you have to let them grow and mature and as a parent you cannot keep them in cotton wool,though at times you just want to.
After Mexico Rafa does have a break before IW,so I cannot really see him going there to play just golf.
I also agree with you like most Rafa fans hopefully he will skip Madrid this year. Although I live in California I would prefer Miami Open for Rafa to play and win. Something about those courts in the final round has been Rafa's Waterloo or Little Big Horn. I am not certain but the courts there are extremely fast but not high bouncing. We shall see.

Last edited: