Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Quite frankly Rafa's health is the most important thing,if he misses not playing IW so be it.
People did not realize he was soo close not coming to AO for starters and his ongoing foot problems are Not Going Away!
Rafa was already having discussions with his team and family of retirement due to his ongoing foot problems that was after he had a surgical procedure on his foot last year.
I will be fine if he skips IW (as long he gets to rest his body). The only problem I will have is if he skips IW then goes on to play 5 Clay court tournaments (MC, Barcelona, Madrid, Rome and RG). Then, that sounds counter-intuitive to me especially that Madrid doesn’t suit his game and he only plays the tournament because he feels obligated to play the ball tournament.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I will be fine if he skips IW (as long he gets to rest his body). The only problem I will have is if he skips IW then goes on to play 5 Clay court tournaments (MC, Barcelona, Madrid, Rome and RG). Then, that sounds counter-intuitive to me especially that Madrid doesn’t suit his game and he only plays the tournament because he feels obligated to play the ball tournament.
I agree with your thoughts regarding play IW,I feel he needs it before preparing for the clay season,better surface for him than Miami at this point in time.I have never like Madrid,so I am hoping he skips it now,.Maybe I am being a 'mother hen' with him at the moment,dearly I would love him to reach 22 GS titles at RG this year,like all Rafa fans.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He's NOT going to play all of those clay events. Even in healthier days, he usually dropped Barcelona, and I feel that he has voluntarily skipped Madrid before, but I could be wrong.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree with your thoughts regarding play IW,I feel he needs it before preparing for the clay season,better surface for him than Miami at this point in time.I have never like Madrid,so I am hoping he skips it now,.Maybe I am being a 'mother hen' with him at the moment,dearly I would love him to reach 22 GS titles at RG this year,like all Rafa fans.
If he and his team aren't protecting for this coming RG at all costs, then I don't know what. Rafa is no idiot and I think his team is very smart.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
If he and his team aren't protecting for this coming RG at all costs, then I don't know what. Rafa is no idiot and I think his team is very smart.

Agree,Moya said recently of Rafa that he may not be the best player in the world,though he has the best tennis IQ of any player,and reads the game better than anyone.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He's NOT going to play all of those clay events. Even in healthier days, he usually dropped Barcelona, and I feel that he has voluntarily skipped Madrid before, but I could be wrong.
The only time he skipped Barcelona was in 2010. He has never skipped Madrid at all! Here’s his schedule since 2010 season:

10: MC, Madrid, Rome and RG
11: MC, Barcelona, Madrid, Rome and RG
12: Same as 11
13: Same as 11
14: Same as 11
15: Same as 11
16: Same as 11
17: Same as 11
18: Same as 11
19: Same as 11
20: COVID happened
21: Same as 11

That’s why I am hoping he skips Madrid because he doesn’t need 4 Clay tournaments going into RG at his age.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
The ESPN yo yo s said that Rafa gave up sliding on HC at AO to protect his foot. I'm curious about how the foot is going to react to sliding on the Clay.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Agree,Moya said recently of Rafa that he may not be the best player in the world,though he has the best tennis IQ of any player,and reads the game better than anyone.
Well, he did say "he didn't know if he was the best player in the world," but he did say that, and that his tennis IQ is "off the charts." This was one of the great beauties of that win on Sunday. So many think that he sometimes just outlasts or outmuscles his opponents, but more often than not, he figures out what he needs to do and adjusts mid-match, when he needs to. Much under-appreciated part of his game. Means the world at these late-stages of his career.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The only time he skipped Barcelona was in 2010. He has never skipped Madrid at all! Here’s his schedule since 2010 season:

10: MC, Madrid, Rome and RG
11: MC, Barcelona, Madrid, Rome and RG
12: Same as 11
13: Same as 11
14: Same as 11
15: Same as 11
16: Same as 11
17: Same as 11
18: Same as 11
19: Same as 11
20: COVID happened
21: Same as 11

That’s why I am hoping he skips Madrid because he doesn’t need 4 Clay tournaments going into RG at his age.
Boy, that time he dropped Barcelona clearly made a big impression on me, since I thought it was multiple times. Also surprised he's never skipped Madrid. Will stop relying on my memory now. :lol6: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, he did say "he didn't know if he was the best player in the world," but he did say that, and that his tennis IQ is "off the charts." This was one of the great beauties of that win on Sunday. So many think that he sometimes just outlasts or outmuscles his opponents, but more often than not, he figures out what he needs to do and adjusts mid-match, when he needs to. Much under-appreciated part of his game. Means the world at these late-stages of his career.
I think we have all seen his problem solving matches before,though as you say,he continues to show this at the later stage of his career.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Early Nadal. His first ever Grand Slam was at the Big W. Reached the fourth round but lost to Paradorn Srichaphan.

Reactions: Moxie and tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fun article for the fans. Recap of the career, from early certainties that he was no more than a clay player, also with video and some graphics, and tributes from current and ex-players.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal Should Just Play IW & Skip Miami, Mexico Straight To Clay Season.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The Three Time Champion Rafa Nadal has his sights on the BNP Paribas Open.

"For me it will be more special returning this year after missing the tournament in October".
"The fans are great and knowledgeable about tennis and they really make me feel special when playing and everywhere I go".

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The Three Time Champion Rafa Nadal has his sights on the BNP Paribas Open.

"For me it will be more special returning this year after missing the tournament in October".
"The fans are great and knowledgeable about tennis and they really make me feel special when playing and everywhere I go".
He specifically talking about @Jelenafan and I! Sorry, other Rafa fans! :face-with-tears-of-joy::yes:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't know if I read it here, but Rafa is the only player in history to win multiple slams in each of 3 different decades, which is fairly incredible, given how he was expected not to last so long. Don't see anyone equalling that soon. Also, if he gets back to #1, he might hold a similar record there... :clap: