Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
For Nadal, as long he is healthy AND playing at a high level, I think he will be happy. Now, of course, it will be nice if he can win RG this year to increase his total Slams to 22. But for now, he will enjoy being the Australian Open champion.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Carlos Moyer on Nadal,

"His tennis I.Q. is off the charts,I don't know if he's the best player in the world,but he reads the game better than anyone,Australian Open won't be his last GS title I think".

( Rafa has returned to practice had 1 day off since he returned home).

Last edited:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa only played a total of 13 tournaments for both 20/21 combined. . So I doubt Rafa is burned out on tennis, but as usual the health/injury issue always looms over the head of Rafa and his fans. What I understand about the procedure they did last year was it was to address the chronic foot issues that he has, because the discomfort was too much. Of course that's to go along with his chronic back and knee issues. Rafa, like so many athletes its all about pain management. Crazy as it seems 2017-2019 was the best phase of his career injury-wise, as he played in something like 15 consecutive slams.

So to me it's hard to gauge going forward how Rafa will do. I believe this is the first time he's had 2 tourney wins by the end of January, both HC no less. *IF* the foot holds up, Rafa has a good shot for a 14th French Open. Beyond that, it's all gravy.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa only played a total of 13 tournaments for both 20/21 combined. . So I doubt Rafa is burned out on tennis, but as usual the health/injury issue always looms over the head of Rafa and his fans. What I understand about the procedure they did last year was it was to address the chronic foot issues that he has, because the discomfort was too much. Of course that's to go along with his chronic back and knee issues. Rafa, like so many athletes its all about pain management. Crazy as it seems 2017-2019 was the best phase of his career injury-wise, as he played in something like 15 consecutive slams.

So to me it's hard to gauge going forward how Rafa will do. I believe this is the first time he's had 2 tourney wins by the end of January, both HC no less. *IF* the foot holds up, Rafa has a good shot for a 14th French Open. Beyond that, it's all gravy.
I agree, and I think that Rafa will feel a lot less pressure in Paris this year. He’s gotten a huge confidence boost by the way he won in Australia, and as you say, he nabbed not one but two hard court titles. If he manages himself well between now and Paris, he should be at his best again. Personally, I’d take any big matches now because I thought he might never play again. That foot injury isn’t good. So I’m happy to see him on court looking so obviously happy. Great to see. And great to see the bromance between him and Roger, which was evident in Rogers classy statements after the final last weekend…

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree, and I think that Rafa will feel a lot less pressure in Paris this year. He’s gotten a huge confidence boost by the way he won in Australia, and as you say, he nabbed not one but two hard court titles. If he manages himself well between now and Paris, he should be at his best again. Personally, I’d take any big matches now because I thought he might never play again. That foot injury isn’t good. So I’m happy to see him on court looking so obviously happy. Great to see. And great to see the bromance between him and Roger, which was evident in Rogers classy statements after the final last weekend…
I think we may get another RG 20..Rafa should be able to open up his shoulders and let it fly across the red clay dirt at Rafa Garros

Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I will take one RG title at a time,like Kieran I am still worried about his foot,he is still in pain,but it is being managed so far.
I really think he is may skip IW..play MC, Barcelona, Rome and RG. That's enough wear and tear for a 35 years old ATP. That will give him enough time to be fresh for Wimbledon and the North American HC swing.

Reactions: Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I really think he is may skip IW..play MC, Barcelona, Rome and RG. That's enough wear and tear for a 35 years old ATP. That will give him enough time to be fresh for Wimbledon and the North American HC swing.
IW was always on Rafa's radar to play,I think he needs to play before he plays clay.I agree he does not need to play at full clay schedule.,goodbye Madrid:) agree he will be fresh enough for grass and NA HC swing.
BTW Rafa is already hitting the practice court,he had 1 day off since returning home.

Last edited:

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
IW was always on Rafa's radar to play,I think he needs to play before he plays clay.I agree he does not need to play at full clay schedule.,goodbye Madrid:) agree he will be fresh enough for grass and NA HC swing.
BTW Rafa is already hitting the practice court,he had 1 day off since returning home.
He is so high from winning AO win that he went back to the court to "colm" his mind down lol...

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I hope not, because being a selfish bastard I want to see him play in Indian Wells this year. :-)2

Apparently he and Larry Ellison (Oracle founder and owner of IW) are very good buds; Rafa stays at his place when he plays there and has been quoted as saying the best two weeks of the tennis calendar year are IW. He hasn't played Indian Wells in 3 years, (just once in 4 years) 2020 cancelled, 2021 injury. So I'm betting he'll skip Acapulco if he has to to be able to play IW after a 6 week break since the AO. Rafa has to play something, or he will have no tournament play for 9 weeks until April 9 with MC. Miami Masters I think is off his schedule, too close to the claycourt swing.

The real issue is it seem every year he's committed to play Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Madrid AND Rome in addition to Roland Garros. I know the temptation to play them but that's 5 tourneys. IMO Too much even for the claycourt king at age 35. The outlier is Madrid, he really does not seem to like it but it IS Spain's Master so Rafa understandably feels obligated to play it. in the fall Cincinnati and Shanghai he hasn't played either of those Masters in years. So it's Canadian Open and then the USO. Maybe Paris Masters. ATP tour finals are now in Turin Italy so that seems much more manageable. See how easy it is for me to manage Rafa's schedule? ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think one of the main reasons Rafa has hit the practice courts,with little R&R after the AO is to see how his body is holding up before he finally commits to Acapulco or if he withdraws.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I hope not, because being a selfish bastard I want to see him play in Indian Wells this year. :-)2

Apparently he and Larry Ellison (Oracle founder and owner of IW) are very good buds; Rafa stays at his place when he plays there and has been quoted as saying the best two weeks of the tennis calendar year are IW. He hasn't played Indian Wells in 3 years, (just once in 4 years) 2020 cancelled, 2021 injury. So I'm betting he'll skip Acapulco if he has to to be able to play IW after a 6 week break since the AO. Rafa has to play something, or he will have no tournament play for 9 weeks until April 9 with MC. Miami Masters I think is off his schedule, too close to the claycourt swing.

The real issue is it seem every year he's committed to play Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Madrid AND Rome in addition to Roland Garros. I know the temptation to play them but that's 5 tourneys. IMO Too much even for the claycourt king at age 35. The outlier is Madrid, he really does not seem to like it but it IS Spain's Master so Rafa understandably feels obligated to play it. in the fall Cincinnati and Shanghai he hasn't played either of those Masters in years. So it's Canadian Open and then the USO. Maybe Paris Masters. ATP tour finals are now in Turin Italy so that seems much more manageable. See how easy it is for me to manage Rafa's schedule? ;)
As I mentioned above, I read in El País that Rafa has already put the bug in the ear for skipping Acapulco, but playing IW. I had really forgotten how long it had been since he played there. All the more reason he will try to play. As you say, he's really good friends with Ellison, stays with him, and the golfing is excellent. (I think he has more than once played a round with someone from the PGA tour there.) If the foot is fine, it's well-placed from Rafa to get some matches in. Otherwise, it's 2.5 months between Oz final and start of MC.

It seems we all agree that he should skip Madrid. We should just send him a note, and let him know that after careful consideration, etc...That should settle it. I'm down with the rest of your schedule for Rafa.

We have not yet decided if he should play a grass tune-up, but I agree with Kieran's assessment...that the change from clay to grass it too short, and hard on the knees. No tune-up...just play your way into Wimbo and take your chances.

Reactions: Jelenafan

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
As I mentioned above, I read in El País that Rafa has already put the bug in the ear for skipping Acapulco, but playing IW. I had really forgotten how long it had been since he played there. All the more reason he will try to play. As you say, he's really good friends with Ellison, stays with him, and the golfing is excellent. (I think he has more than once played a round with someone from the PGA tour there.) If the foot is fine, it's well-placed from Rafa to get some matches in. Otherwise, it's 2.5 months between Oz final and start of MC.

It seems we all agree that he should skip Madrid. We should just send him a note, and let him know that after careful consideration, etc...That should settle it. I'm down with the rest of your schedule for Rafa.

We have not yet decided if he should play a grass tune-up, but I agree with Kieran's assessment...that the change from clay to grass it too short, and hard on the knees. No tune-up...just play your way into Wimbo and take your chances.
Yes, the transition from grass to clay is short but things are should be back to normal. (3 weeks).. Rafa has a few grass courts at his academy. He can bring in Baby Rafa (Carlos A) and Sinner to tune his game after he have a few practice sessions with Carlos and Marc. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if Feli comes by. IW is too risky and he has played it enough times for his friend Larry E.(Oracle). Body aches and pain come from getting on the hardcourts. Rafa is on the bad side of 30 now and he was nothing to gain by playing hardcourts before clay. Maybe next year if his foot holds up. Always error on the side of caution is my thoughts. Don't push it. The tennis gods may not be so giving.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes, the transition from grass to clay is short but things are should be back to normal. (3 weeks).. Rafa has a few grass courts at his academy. He can bring in Baby Rafa (Carlos A) and Sinner to tune his game after he have a few practice sessions with Carlos and Marc. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if Feli comes by. IW is too risky and he has played it enough times for his friend Larry E.(Oracle). Body aches and pain come from getting on the hardcourts. Rafa is on the bad side of 30 now and he was nothing to gain by playing hardcourts before clay. Maybe next year if his foot holds up. Always error on the side of caution is my thoughts. Don't push it. The tennis gods may not be so giving.
That's my point...practice on grass in Mallorca. Keep it mellow. As to IW: I'll be upset, I think, if he feels he wants to play Acapulco, because then he's going to push for IW. But if he wants to got to IW, for a bit of a hit around and some golf, and so @Jelenafan and @rafanoy1992 get to see him play, I'm good with that. Then skip Miami and rest the foot for clay.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I hope Feliciano Lopez steps in and say to Rafa, "I won't allow you to play Madrid due to personal reasons!" Basically, the opposite of Djokovic and Tiley relationship! lol...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I hope Feliciano Lopez steps in and say to Rafa, "I won't allow you to play Madrid due to personal reasons!" Basically, the opposite of Djokovic and Tiley relationship! lol...
Feliciano is going to understand if Rafa says he can't do it. He won't pressure him like Tiriac did, I'm sure.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's my point...practice on grass in Mallorca. Keep it mellow. As to IW: I'll be upset, I think, if he feels he wants to play Acapulco, because then he's going to push for IW. But if he wants to got to IW, for a bit of a hit around and some golf, and so @Jelenafan and @rafanoy1992 get to see him play, I'm good with that. Then skip Miami and rest the foot for clay.

Thank you for seeing the bigger picture here and what really matters. : )

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Quite frankly Rafa's health is the most important thing,if he misses not playing IW so be it.
People did not realize he was soo close not coming to AO for starters and his ongoing foot problems are Not Going Away!
Rafa was already having discussions with his team and family of retirement due to his ongoing foot problems that was after he had a surgical procedure on his foot last year.

Last edited: