Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
IMG_2933.jpeg

These have been difficult times for Rafa’s fans, his most recent injury and subsequent surgery, missing the clay season and chance to defend at RG…

I just wanted to say this,: of all the players I’ve seen over 50 years, no one has ever fought heart and soul down to the last point like Rafael Nadal. No one. He has beaten Djokovic like a drum at RG, Roger at Wimbledon. But at the Australian Open, on Novak’s best surface, Rafa took him to the very brink, until both were spent and needing a chair for the ceremony. I don’t know that we will ever see another player with that much fight, with that much control over his own nerves, with such resolve. In this regard, he is the greatest of all time.

I hope Carlitos will step into the void and step up to the example set for him.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
David Ferrer says Rafa Nadal could play in DC 2023 for Spain ( source Tennis Letter),

"Possibly, yes. For all he can transmit. Rafa, even without being 100% is a very special player, who transmits a lot is so good on court.You can trust him for his ability to suffer and in his tennis".

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
David Ferrer says Rafa Nadal could play in DC 2023 for Spain ( source Tennis Letter),

"Possibly, yes. For all he can transmit. Rafa, even without being 100% is a very special player, who transmits a lot is so good on court.You can trust him for his ability to suffer and in his tennis".
I'm sure he'll try. Because he loves to play for Spain, and because if he doesn't, he'll need an exemption into the Olympics, right? I would like to see him give that hip a tryout before next year.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm sure he'll try. Because he loves to play for Spain, and because if he doesn't, he'll need an exemption into the Olympics, right? I would like to see him give that hip a tryout before next year.
I agree with your thoughts I think Rafa will try, Rafa can get a special medical exemption for the Olympics due to having hip surgery and not been able to play for DC this year due to having hip surgery to qualify or ITF may grant him a WC.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree with your thoughts I think Rafa will try, Rafa can get a special medical exemption for the Olympics due to having hip surgery and not been able to play for DC this year due to having hip surgery to qualify or ITF may grant him a WC.
Is it enough if he just plays doubles?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I admire everyone hope that Rafa will play the Olympics, but we’re almost a full year since Rafa played any match with full fitness - Wimbledon 2022 - and since then he’s hardly played, leaving the field open for others to gain freely at his expense.

The Olympics is a further year away.

I have to say I’m more pessimistic. I’ll be happy to see him play again, and it seems now that he will, but at what level he plays at, I don’t expect much…

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I admire everyone hope that Rafa will play the Olympics, but we’re almost a full year since Rafa played any match with full fitness - Wimbledon 2022 - and since then he’s hardly played, leaving the field open for others to gain freely at his expense.

I have to say I’m more pessimistic. I’ll be happy to see him play again, and it seems now that he will, but at what level he plays at, I don’t expect much…
I understand your pessimism. I actually ask about playing DC/qualifying for Olympics because I think he'd like to play at the Olympics again. He has said he enjoyed it so much, and he's only been able to play Beijing and Rio. Not saying he'll win the singles gold, even though it's to be played at RG. Could do well in doubles, though, and I think that would all be fun for him, as he's likely making a victory lap of next year.

Rafa has stitched himself back together and returned many times, but all things must end. He's lasted 7 years longer on tour than even he expected to. Obviously, I'd like to see him fit and fighting and win another Major, (or two....hope springs eternal.) Let's see what he comes back with. I'll be more than proud of him, no matter what happens.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I understand your pessimism. I actually ask about playing DC/qualifying for Olympics because I think he'd like to play at the Olympics again. He has said he enjoyed it so much, and he's only been able to play Beijing and Rio. Not saying he'll win the singles gold, even though it's to be played at RG. Could do well in doubles, though, and I think that would all be fun for him, as he's likely making a victory lap of next year.

Rafa has stitched himself back together and returned many times, but all things must end. He's lasted 7 years longer on tour than even he expected to. Obviously, I'd like to see him fit and fighting and win another Major, (or two....hope springs eternal.) Let's see what he comes back with. I'll be more than proud of him, no matter what happens.
Rafa’s incredible. What he’s achieved, despite having to skip so many slams through injuries - eleven since he won his first - so many injuries during slams, is remarkable. Pulled out of Wimbledon last year injured when he was clearly the best player in the world. 2014 Australian Open final still haunts us as much as the 2012. Missed the French this year, pulled out injured in 2016, even missed it in 2004, where you wouldn’t be surprised if he won it. There’s no way Novak would be on 23 - or Roger on 20 - if they were similarly afflicted. That’s just statistical truth. No controversies, great example to kids, a funny, intense and compellingly dramatic figure on court.

I’d love to see him competitive again too, and wouldn’t be surprised if he was - he’ll certainly fight out there - but I’m pessimistic about what level he’ll be at. I certainly don’t think he’s gonna go the challenger route! By the way, we all miss Roger to some extent, but I think of the big 3, Rafa will leave the biggest hole in the game..

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

The games doesn't mean as much to me as #23,#24 and #25..

Reactions: Moxie

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions

I'd argue that Rafa hasn't had full fitness since the 2022 Indian Wells final. Don't forget in between IW and RG, Rafa struggled during the clay season (with early exits at Madrid and Rome) after missing Miami, Monte Carlo, and Barcelona. The only reason for concern with Rafa is that he got progressively worse as the season went on in 2022. Take away the slams, and Rafa's 2022 record post-IW is ugly.

The reason for optimism is Rafa's comeback in early 2022, after everyone (including me) thought it was over after 2021. I now know best not to count Rafa out. Even if Rafa struggles early in his comeback, I believe there is at least one more great moment left in him at RG in 2024, whether that be at the French Open or the Olympics.

Reactions: tented and Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa’s incredible. What he’s achieved, despite having to skip so many slams through injuries - eleven since he won his first - so many injuries during slams, is remarkable. Pulled out of Wimbledon last year injured when he was clearly the best player in the world. 2014 Australian Open final still haunts us as much as the 2012. Missed the French this year, pulled out injured in 2016, even missed it in 2004, where you wouldn’t be surprised if he won it. There’s no way Novak would be on 23 - or Roger on 20 - if they were similarly afflicted. That’s just statistical truth. No controversies, great example to kids, a funny, intense and compellingly dramatic figure on court.

I’d love to see him competitive again too, and wouldn’t be surprised if he was - he’ll certainly fight out there - but I’m pessimistic about what level he’ll be at. I certainly don’t think he’s gonna go the challenger route! By the way, we all miss Roger to some extent, but I think of the big 3, Rafa will leave the biggest hole in the game..
I agree with most of your post, still Rafa has made bad choices to me over the years, when he was clearly sub par, and played touraments when he was injured, I have watched Rafa when he came onto the tour, in 2005, and have watched Rafa many times live in his back year RG, Rome, AO, though to me he should not not gone on that South American exho tour with Casper Ruud, to me he should have waited till he does eventually retires, Casper said he didnt have enough time for rest, he had to come back straight into training, we all saw the poor results Casper has, until he found his game just recently and made the final of RG again, I wont comment on how Rafa struggled at the AO this year, as a fan it was sad to see, even if you weren't a fan of Rafa, it was sad.
I will be a fan until he retires, cheer him on, regardless if he wins or not, he is the "greatest competitor I have witnessed" in our game of tennis, that memory will never fade.

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree with most of your post, still Rafa has made bad choices to me over the years, when he was clearly sub par, I have watched Rafa when he came onto the tour, in 2005, and have watched Rafa many times live in his back year RG, Rome, AO, though to me he should not not gone on that South American exho tour with Casper Ruud, to me he should have waited till he does eventually retires, Casper said he didnt have enough time for rest, he had to come back straight into training, we all saw the poor results Casper has, until he found his game just recently and made the final of RG again, I wont comment on how Rafa struggled at the AO this year, as a fan it was sad to see, even if you weren't a fan of Rafa, it was sad.
I will be a fan until he retires, cheer him on, regardless if he wins or not, he is the "greatest competitor I have witnessed" in our game of tennis, that memory will never fade.
Oh I agree with this. Rafa has made some scheduling decisions that backfired. Who can forget the Indian thingy after Christmas 2013? I think it’s something we’d all love if he asked us our advice on! But probably last year he felt he needed to play, and somewhere not so strenuous, plus we got to see the dream scene of Rafa playing Gabriela Sabatini but it turns out to probably not have being a great idea in the end.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh I agree with this. Rafa has made some scheduling decisions that backfired. Who can forget the Indian thingy after Christmas 2013? I think it’s something we’d all love if he asked us our advice on! But probably last year he felt he needed to play, and somewhere not so strenuous, plus we got to see the dream scene of Rafa playing Gabriela Sabatini but it turns out to probably not have being a great idea in the end.
Dont remind me of that Christmas thingy lol!. I really feel Rafa is stubborn in many ways, he wouldnt take our advice even if he asked his long suffering fans at times, I say that in a joking way, Rafa has always said he has to suffer, that includes his many fans throughout the word :)

Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Dont remind me of that Christmas thingy lol!. I really feel Rafa is stubborn in many ways, he wouldnt take our advice even if he asked his long suffering fans at times, I say that in a joking way, Rafa has always said he has to suffer, that includes his many fans throughout the word :)
I think he also wants to find his foundation as best he can, and his best years as a money earner are vanishing..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think he also wants to find his foundation as best he can, and his best years as a money earner are vanishing..
Agree, though I must say he is very 'hands on with his academy in Spain" just watching recently at the graduation ceremony, with Iga Swiatek also in attendence

Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Agree, though I must say he is very 'hands on with his academy in Spain" just watching recently at the graduation ceremony, with Iga Swiatek also in attendence
I think if Rafa was walking down Main Street in Mallorca looking to buy shoes, Iga would be somewhere close by. Science tells us that we’re never more than 3 feet from a rat.

It tells Rafa that he’s never more than 3 feet away from Iga in one direction and a rat in the other..

:lol6:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I still can't forgive him for going to Rotterdam in 2009, after that brutal SF/Final combo v. Verdasco and Federer to win Australia. It was only a couple of weeks after the AO, and he didn't need it. His knees were toast v. Murray in the final. By the time they got to the 3rd set, he could barely move to the ball, and lost that set at love. We know how the rest of his 2009 went. Jeepers, we have long memories, huh? :lulz1:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I still can't forgive him for going to Rotterdam in 2009, after that brutal SF/Final combo v. Verdasco and Federer to win Australia. It was only a couple of weeks after the AO, and he didn't need it. His knees were toast v. Murray in the final. By the time they got to the 3rd set, he could barely move to the ball, and lost that set at love. We know how the rest of his 2009 went. Jeepers, we have long memories, huh? :lulz1:
Yeah - he left a six inch putt for his main rival… :facepalm: