Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW I just looked up the ITF rules, there is a medical exception that might cover Rafa, he does want to play for Spain in the Olympics in 2024, seeing that is will be highly unlikely he will play for Spain at the DC this year, to qualify.
Rafa should be given wild cards and seeding in any tournament he wants to enter when he gets back.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa should be given wild cards and seeding in any tournament he wants to enter when he gets back.
Yes but this is the Olympics and they have different rules, to qualify he will probably be able to play with a medical exception

Reactions: Moxie

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
I think if worst comes to shove, the IOC/RG will end up giving Rafa some special wild card to compete at the 2024 Olympics. It would not be a good look for RG if they were to deny the person they built a statue for the opportunity to play on that venue for a final time on his terms.

That said, I hope Rafa performs well during the first half of 2024, so this can all be a moot point.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think if worst comes to shove, the IOC/RG will end up giving Rafa some special wild card to compete at the 2024 Olympics. It would not be a good look for RG if they were to deny the person they built a statue for the opportunity to play on that venue for a final time on his terms.

That said, I hope Rafa performs well during the first half of 2024, so this can all be a moot point.
Rafa cannot get a wild card to the Olympics I have read the rule, he can get a medical exemption because he has had surgery which will put him out for this year, he wanted to play for Spain at the DC later in the year to qualify, now that is not the case.Please read my posts above okay.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa has left a message regarding his surgery ( 17 mins ago)

"Alll went well with arthroscopy on my left psoas tendon, also regulated on old labrum injury on my left hip which will help for better tendon development".

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa cannot get a wild card to the Olympics I have read the rule, he can get a medical exemption because he has had surgery which will put him out for this year, he wanted to play for Spain at the DC later in the year to qualify, now that is not the case.Please read my posts above okay.
They’ll get Craig Tiley on the job - according to Novak, he can give global exemptions to whoever the feck he likes…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
They’ll get Craig Tiley on the job - according to Novak, he can give global exemptions to whoever the feck he likes…
Oh I forgot about Craig Tiley and his expert medical opinions, well if Craig gives Rafa a clearance he wont need a medical expemption to play at the Olympics in 2024!

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
If all else fails, Rafa could get in through the "special invitation" clause. (As I said, I hope Rafa plays well in the first half of 2024, so it doesn't come to that.)

Will Rafa participate in the Olympics?​

Rafael Nadal's future at the Paris 2024 Olympics is still uncertain. Despite his status as a tennis legend, his failure to enter the top 300 of the rankings and the presence of four Spanish tennis players in the top 56 of the rankings could prevent him from participating in the Games.

There is a possibility that the International Olympic Committee will reserve a wild card for Nadal, based on his past successes. The final choice will be up to the International Tennis Federation, which has established that a player can access the "wild card" if he is not in the top 300 of the ranking or if he comes from a country that has not already reached the maximum limit of four tennis players qualified.

Even if Nadal were to fall into these categories, his place at the Olympics would not be guaranteed due to the presence of other top-level Spanish tennis players, such as Carlos Alcaraz, Pablo Carreño, Roberto Bautista and Alejandro Davidovich.

The situation is reminiscent of Andy Murray at the Tokyo 2020 Games, when the Briton should have used the "wild card" due to his position in the rankings, but in the end managed to qualify directly thanks to the defections of some tennis players.

In any case, Nadal's access to the Olympics will depend on his results in the coming months and on his ranking. The Spanish tennis player has already won two gold medals at the Games and has always shown great attachment to the Olympics, so his presence in Paris would be a great event for the world of tennis and sport in general.

Finally, even if Nadal's chances of participating in the Paris 2024 Olympics are uncertain, his story and his past successes could pave the way for him to a special invitation. At the same time, the competition will be fierce and the competition will be strong, so not being logged in would not be a huge surprise. As always in the world of sport, time and results will have the last word.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
If all else fails, Rafa could get in through the "special invitation" clause. (As I said, I hope Rafa plays well in the first half of 2024, so it doesn't come to that.)

Rafael Nadal's future at the Paris 2024 Olympics is still uncertain. Despite his status as a tennis legend, his failure to enter the top 300 of the rankings and the presence of four Spanish tennis players in the top 56 of the rankings could prevent him from participating in the Games.

There is a possibility that the International Olympic Committee will reserve a wild card for Nadal, based on his past successes. The final choice will be up to the International Tennis Federation, which has established that a player can access the "wild card" if he is not in the top 300 of the ranking or if he comes from a country that has not already reached the maximum limit of four tennis players qualified.

Even if Nadal were to fall into these categories, his place at the Olympics would not be guaranteed due to the presence of other top-level Spanish tennis players, such as Carlos Alcaraz, Pablo Carreño, Roberto Bautista and Alejandro Davidovich.

The situation is reminiscent of Andy Murray at the Tokyo 2020 Games, when the Briton should have used the "wild card" due to his position in the rankings, but in the end managed to qualify directly thanks to the defections of some tennis players.

In any case, Nadal's access to the Olympics will depend on his results in the coming months and on his ranking. The Spanish tennis player has already won two gold medals at the Games and has always shown great attachment to the Olympics, so his presence in Paris would be a great event for the world of tennis and sport in general.

Finally, even if Nadal's chances of participating in the Paris 2024 Olympics are uncertain, his story and his past successes could pave the way for him to a special invitation. At the same time, the competition will be fierce and the competition will be strong, so not being logged in would not be a huge surprise. As always in the world of sport, time and results will have the last word.
There is a possibility? not set in stone okay, I read the official rule from the ITF he can play with a medical exemption
Regardless if Rafa is to play I believe he will be able to
At the Olympics for each country 12 people 6 men and 6 women

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I feel positive after the news of Rafa's surgery, apparently he flew in this top hip surgeon from Canada, one of 3 doctors that were in surgery. Also cleared up a old hip injury.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

This is all very informative, so thank you!

I get that rules are rules, and it doesn't sound like Rafa is going to play DC this year. Also, with so many good Spanish players, he may not be top 4, when the Olympics roll around. That said, given that the Olympics will be played in Paris next year, at Roland Garros, and given this would surely be Rafa's last Olympics, and given that he has been such a great champion there, wouldn't it be a shame to keep him out on a technicality? I'm sure everyone will want him to play. Does one Spanish player have to fall on his sword? If so, I nominate Bautista Agut. :)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Happy Birthday, Rafa! I hope you got the new and improved hip that you wanted.

For the Nadal fans, another birthday worth remembering: Nadal's 19th, when he beat Roger in the SF at RG in 2005, to make his first final there.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This is all very informative, so thank you!

I get that rules are rules, and it doesn't sound like Rafa is going to play DC this year. Also, with so many good Spanish players, he may not be top 4, when the Olympics roll around. That said, given that the Olympics will be played in Paris next year, at Roland Garros, and given this would surely be Rafa's last Olympics, and given that he has been such a great champion there, wouldn't it be a shame to keep him out on a technicality? I'm sure everyone will want him to play. Does one Spanish player have to fall on his sword? If so, I nominate Bautista Agut. :)
Moxie,
Remember at the Olympics you can have 6 male players and 6 female players
No Rafa isnt going to play DC this year
So he can get a medical exemption as per the ITF rule, seeing he could not play for Spain in the DC this year to qualify, or a possibility that the Olympic Committee may give him a wild card

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa will be wearing a hip brace which is normal post-op surgery, his surgeon Dr Philippon has developed this brace.
Goals for post op hip surgery or arthroscopic hip repairs like Rafa has had,
Hip range of motion control
Decrease anti-inflammatory medication
Decrease hip pain symptons
Improve hip joint recovery
Improve hip surgery success.

Reactions: Nadalfan2013

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa will be wearing a hip brace which is normal post-op surgery, his surgeon Dr Philippon has developed this brace.
Goals for post op hip surgery or arthroscopic hip repairs like Rafa has had,
Hip range of motion control
Decrease anti-inflammatory medication
Decrease hip pain symptons
Improve hip joint recovery
Improve hip surgery success.

Do we know how much time this process will take, until he can actually hit the tennis court again?

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
From what I have read recovery time is 5 months, I would say next year in 2024

Wow, so basically to be ready for the Australian Open next year he won't have much time during the off season to reach the fitness and practice enough to be ready... Maybe we are looking for a comeback at Monte Carlo 2024.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Wow, so basically to be ready for the Australian Open next year he won't have much time during the off season to reach the fitness and practice enough to be ready... Maybe we are looking for a comeback at Monte Carlo 2024.
Lets just wait and see, depending on how he recovers, at least this is some positive news

Reactions: Nadalfan2013