Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I feel positive after the news of Rafa's surgery, apparently he flew in this top hip surgeon from Canada, one of 3 doctors that were in surgery. Also cleared up a old hip injury.
I'm really glad also he got it taken care of..I'm surprised he didn't realize that something was amiss back in February and March . I will hold out hope that if he can get his normal condition back he may postpone the 24 retirement tour

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm really glad also he got it taken care of..I'm surprised he didn't realize that something was amiss back in February and March . I will hold out hope that if he can get his normal condition back he may postpone the 24 retirement tour
I suppose he thought at the time the advice he was given which was 6 to 8 weeks was correct to fix the hip, from his doctor, anyway the main thing is now the surgery has been positive, and he now can to the routine rehab for his hip to heal

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I suppose he thought at the time the advice he was given which was 6 to 8 weeks was correct to fix the hip, from his doctor, anyway the main thing is now the surgery has been positive, and he now can to the routine rehab for his hip to heal
Well I think spending this much time with his family may rejuvenate him

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well I think spending this much time with his family may rejuvenate him
Rafa has always said he has a great life off the tennis court, now he has a young family, his son Raphael is now 8 months old, so yes I agree with your thoughts his family may rejuvenate Rafa

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Former player and Medvedev's old coach, Jean-Rene Lisnard ( source Tennis Letter)

" I played Federer, Djokovic, Agassi.The Best is Nadal. Every shot is hell. When I do Roland Garros with juniors, I show them Rafa training.".

tented

Administrator
Reactions
:astonished-face:

IMG_2710.jpeg

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
He should get protected ranking - Roger withdrew from tournaments after Australia 2020 and still kept the points. It would be disrespectful and counterproductive if they only gave Rafa wild cards…

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Ok, here’s the section in the ATP Rulebook concerning protected ranking:

F. Entry Protection

1) Petition.
A player may petition the ATP CEO, or his designee, for an entry protection when he is physically injured or has a documented medical illness and does not compete in any tennis event, including Special Events – Exhibitions, for a minimum period of six (6) months. The written petition must be received within six (6) months after his last tournament and must provide medical documentation including a letter from a treating licensed physician confirming the injury or illness. Each petition shall be evaluated on a case by case basis by the ATP Medical Services Committee.

2) Calculation and Use.
The entry protection shall be a position in the ATP Rankings, as determined by the player’s average ATP Rankings position during the first three (3) months* after his last event played. The entry protection shall be for entry into the main draw or qualifying competition or for special exempt consideration. The entry protection shall not be used for seeding purposes or lucky loser consideration.

*The player must be ranked (have at least one singles ranking point for a singles protected ranking and/or one doubles ranking point for a doubles protected rank- ing) during each week of this three (3) month period.

A player who has been out of competition and is applying for Entry Protection may not include any period of (Doping, Corruption and/or Conduct) suspension in the player’s weeks away from competition in order to qualify for Entry Protection.

3) Limit of Use.
a) If a player is physically injured and does not compete in any tennis event for a period of at least six (6) months but less than twelve (12) months, the entry protection shall be in effect for the first nine (9) singles and the first nine (9) doubles tournaments that the player competes* in using the entry protection (excluding wild cards and entries as a direct acceptance with his current position in the ATP Rankings) or for the period up to nine (9) months beginning with the first tennis event, including Special Events – Exhibitions, that the player competes in, whichever occurs first.

b) If a player is physically injured and does not compete in any tennis event for a period of twelve (12) months or longer, the entry protection shall be in effect for the first twelve (12) singles tournaments and the first twelve (12) doubles tournaments that the player competes* in using the entry protection (excluding wild cards and entries as a direct acceptance with his current position in the ATP Rankings) or for the period up to twelve (12) months beginning with the first tennis event, including Special Events – Exhibitions, that the player competes in, whichever occurs first.

*Note: For purposes of this rule, once the player is included in the draw or accepts prize money as an on-site withdrawal, the event shall count against the players’ total as specified under a) and b) above. The ATP Cup shall not count against a player’s total protected ranking allowance.

c) The use of a protected ranking to enter the singles and/or doubles of a Grand Slam event is limited to once per Grand Slam event.

d) The use of a protected ranking to enter the singles and/or doubles of the ATP Cup is limited to one (1) per the duration of the player’s Protected Ranking.

4) Expiration Date.
A player has three (3) years from his original last event played to activate his protected ranking and will not be eligible to use his entry protected ranking beyond this date. A player who does not compete in any tennis event, including Special Events – Exhibitions, for a period of three (3) years from the date of his original last event played will have his entry protection revoked.

5) Re-injury Protection.
A player who has returned to competition and re-injures himself may petition for a “freeze” of the nine (9) or twelve (12) month limit for competing using his protected ranking. To be eligible for the “freeze” the player must be out of competition for a minimum of three (3) months, the written petition for the “freeze” must be received within this period. Upon the player’s return to competition he shall have the same number of events and weeks remaining as were available when the “freeze” went into effect. A maximum of two (2) “freezes” are allowed during the nine (9) or twelve (12) month period.

Note: For purposes of this rule, three (3) months is calculated at thirteen (13) weeks; six (6) months is calculated at twenty-six (26) weeks; nine (9) months is calculated at thirty-nine (39) weeks; and twelve (12) months is calculated at fifty-two (52) weeks.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
^ Based on that, it’s too early to apply for it, since it hasn’t been six months since his last event.

@rafanoy1992 could probably help us out with this.
Rafa's last match was on January 17, so he would be eligible once Wimbledon ends (which obviously he won't play). Assuming Rafa's season is over and he comes back in January, he will be eligible to use PR for his first 9 events or until October. Assuming his full time 2019/2022 schedule, Rafa could use PR up until the French Open:

AO tune up
Australian Open
Mexican Open
Indian Wells
Monte Carlo
Barcelona
Madrid
Italian Open
French Open

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa fans I watched Rafa at his academy via you tube, earlier handing out certificates to the youngsters that graduated , along with Iga Swiatek
Good news was Rafa walked up steps to the podium without crutches, after having his surgery 2 weeks ago

Last edited:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Rafa fans I watched Rafa at his academy via you tube, earlier handing out certificates to the youngsters that graduated , along with Iga Swiatek
Good news was Rafa walked up steps to the podium without crutches, after having his surgery 2 weeks ago
It’s endearing he gets personally involved with the kids, and not just take their money, never to be seen.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Seeing Iga I know really was inspiring to him and I hope she told him that " you had better get back in top conditioning or I will hit you in your uninjured hip..

However. I can't imagine Iga delivering a commencement graduate speech