MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa's announcement is starting to stream now, starting in Spanish

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa has withdrawn from RG this year and he will not be playing for the following months
It's not a decision I made, its a decision my body made

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa also said he wants to be ready by the Davis Cup and wants to play in 2024, which will be the last year of my career.I want to be able to enjoy it and to say goodbye to tournament that I want

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
At least he didn’t announce his retirement, so it wasn’t all bad news today.
Thankfully, still I have tears in my eyes, when I was reading and posting the news.Hopefully he can play at the Davis Cup for Spain, he has always loved playing for his country over the years

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It's kind of a semi-retirement, isn't it? He still holds out hope but he's also mentioned The End. He's been the greatest player to follow. He'll be missed like a huge hole in the sport. Hopefully he gets a bit of healthy body to play again, and enjoy himself on court, get a proper goodbye..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It's kind of a semi-retirement, isn't it? He still holds out hope but he's also mentioned The End. He's been the greatest player to follow. He'll be missed like a huge hole in the sport. Hopefully he gets a bit of healthy body to play again, and enjoy himself on court, get a proper goodbye..
It won't be the same Kieran when he retires, I have followed Rafa since he first came on the tour, I better stop now I am getting too emotional at present.

Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm glad that he's not retiring yet, hopefully his body will allow him to have another great come back and shine again on the tennis court. Let's hope for great Rafa moments in 2024.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
I'm glad that he's not retiring yet, hopefully his body will allow him to have another great come back and shine again on the tennis court. Let's hope for great Rafa moments in 2024.
Here are some of the moments I'm looking forward to:

94th win - to tie Lendl
95th win - to pass Lendl
Olympic gold (singles) - first player to achieve double career golden slam

This might be asking a bit too much at this point in his career, but another French Open win to be the oldest slam winner ever.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa also said he wants to be ready by the Davis Cup and wants to play in 2024, which will be the last year of my career.I want to be able to enjoy it and to say goodbye to tournament that I want
Will he play A0 24?..the curse of Johnny Favorite lives on !

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Real Talk. What exactly did Rafa say? Did he address what is taking so long with this injury or how close is he returning? My fear is this is Federer 2022 all over again!

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am going to post this quote from Rafa when he held his press conference at his academy.

" I will make my last year not just a party, I will try to compete at the highest level and give myself the option to compete and win tournaments during the clay swing"
This isn't a goodbye. It's one last fight".

• Love
Reactions: Moxie and tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Real Talk. What exactly did Rafa say? Did he address what is taking so long with this injury or how close is he returning? My fear is this is Federer 2022 all over again!
He said he will try to compete for Spain in DC this year at the finals., 2024 will probably be his last on tour before he retires.
He said it was his body that made him have to withdraw at RG this year, remember he has tried 2 treatments for his hip and he did say he has been struggling with his body since 2020.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
He said he will try to compete for Spain in DC this year at the finals., 2024 will probably be his last on tour before he retires.
He said it was his body that made him have to withdraw at RG this year, remember he has tried 2 treatments for his hip and he did say he has been struggling with his body since 2020.
thanks

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer