Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Nice comments from Danill Medvedev on hearing of Rafa's withdrawal at RG and his intention that 2024 would be his last year on the tour, ( source Tennis Letter)

" Sad news. But I'm happy to hear he's going to try to come back. We all want him back on court playing. I just wish we'll see him a couple more years till he decided to stop"
"Nadal's Roland Garros record is most impressive in tennis. Novak won the Australian Open 10 times. Still, Rafa, won 14 at Roland Garros. Rafa on clay, especially at Roland Garros, I honestly don't know how this is possible".
" In tennis, for the moment, there's no comparison".

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I feel that, as a big Rafa fan, I should have posted. Something. Still catching my breath.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa Nadal ( source The Tennis Letter)

" I'm just one more of all these endings of all the people who have been able to stand out in any field of life. This last effort is worth leaving everything so the final year will be memorable. My tennis and, above all, my body will tell me what will happen".

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Excerpt:

The man who enjoyed suffering

“Suffering” has been a word that Nadal uses a lot, and one he’s become defined by. While his game could match the beauty of all the other gods he walks amongst if not above, it will be more known for the way he simply persevered through matches and tournaments, and seasons. Nadal’s most defining characteristic was his simple refusal to ever admit a point was over, much less a match. It wasn’t just him chasing down every ball, ones he had no right to get to, but being able to produce offensive, and winning shots from those hopeless positions. Nadal seemed most at home when he was playing points as if his hand was emerging from the dirt after being buried alive and crawling out. That he would simply go through more than whoever was across the net from him, and that assuredness would break everyone. Which it almost always did.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have a question,
If Rafa wants to play in Paris at the Olympics in 2024, dosent he have to play at DC this year to qualify, Rafa did say in his press conference he did want to play DC for Spain later this year, if his body is able.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I have a question,
If Rafa wants to play in Paris at the Olympics in 2024, dosent he have to play at DC this year to qualify, Rafa did say in his press conference he did want to play DC for Spain later this year, if his body is able.
I think because it's Rafa Nadal..he shouldn't have to qualify for the 24 OGames

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I have a question,
I checked the Olympics’ website and found this:

ELIGIBILITY FOR THE OLYMPIC TENNIS EVENT, PARIS 2024

1) Save as provided in these rules, to be eligible to be nominated for and participate in the Olympic Tennis Event at the Paris 2024 Olympic Games a player must fulfil the following eligibility criteria:

i) The player must satisfy and comply with the provisions of the Olympic Charter in force from time to time, including but not limited to Rule 41 of the Olympic Charter (Nationality of Competitors) or any replacement or successor provision.

ii) The player must be in good standing with his/her National Association and the ITF in accordance with the ITF Davis Cup Regulations or the ITF Billie Jean King Cup Regulations in force at the time of the Paris 2024 Olympic Games.

iii) The player must be eligible to represent the country of the National Association and National Olympic Committee that nominates the player by satisfying the Eligibility to Represent a Nation rule contained in the ITF Davis Cup Regulations and the ITF Billie Jean King Cup Regulations in force at the time of the Paris 2024 Olympic Games.

iv) The player must have reached the age of fourteen (14) years for the men’s events and fifteen (15) years for the women’s events by the opening day of the Olympic Tennis Event.

v) The player must have fulfilled the minimum participation requirement in the ITF Davis Cup or ITF Billie Jean King Cup Competitions during the Olympic Cycle, by being:

• part of the final nominated Davis Cup or Billie Jean King Cup team, and present at the Tie/Event, on a minimum of two (2) occasions during the Olympic Cycle, provided that one of those occasions is in either 2023 or 2024.

For the avoidance of doubt, please note nomination for a Davis Cup Finals, Billie Jean King Cup Finals, or any Regional Group Event, shall count as one nomination, irrespective of how many Ties a player may play in during that Event.

2) Where the player has not met the minimum participation requirement set out at paragraph v) above, the relevant decision-maker (the “Panel”) as specified in the Regulations for the Olympic Tennis Event may exercise its discretion to rule that a player who satisfies all other eligibility criteria is considered eligible for nomination for and participation in the Olympic Tennis Event when taking into consideration special circumstances including, but not limited to, the following:

a) Injury/Illness: The injury or illness must be evidenced through authorised medical records, clearly identifying the period of absence from all competitive tennis.

b) Newcomer to Davis Cup or Billie Jean King Cup Competition: A player only reaches a ranking level sufficient for Davis Cup or Billie Jean King Cup selection by his/her National Association during the latter part of the Olympic Cycle.

c) Strength of Nation: A National Association has a large number of highly-ranked players resulting in competition for selection, which limits a player’s opportunities to participate in Davis Cup or Billie Jean King Cup Competition.

d) Commitment to and Achievement at the Olympic Tennis Event and/or Davis Cup or Billie Jean King Cup: A player’s historical participation and/or achievements in one or both competitions.

The ITF’s website states this:

General rules

Paris 2024 will host the five traditional events (men's singles and doubles, women's singles and doubles, and mixed doubles), providing 172 quotas. The total number of athletes depends on how many players compete in more than one event.

Each NOC can qualify up to 12 athletes, six per gender, represented by up to four players (the best ranked within their country) in each of the singles draws, two entries in each of the doubles draws, and only one entry in mixed doubles.

To be eligible, athletes must follow the ITF (International Tennis Federation) eligibility rules, including participation in the Davis Cup (men's) and the Billie Jean King Cup (women's), but exceptions may apply.

The ATP (men's) and WTA (women's) rankings of 10 June 2024 - right after the French Open - determine the majority of athletes who will qualify.

Singles qualification

The singles draws will include 64 players for each competition. The rankings determine 56 of those (Direct Acceptances), respecting the maximum quota of four per NOC. France has one secured spot per event as the host country, but won't use it if French athletes are already qualified. Six other quotas are ITF Places, and another is a universality place.

ITF Places are given to winners or finalists of continental competitions in the Americas (men's and women's singles finalists at the 2023 Pan-American Games), in Asia (men's and women's singles champions at the 2022 Asian Games) and Africa (men's and women's singles champions at the 2023 African Games).

The other two ITF Places are reserved for Olympic or Grand Slam singles champions who didn't qualify through other criteria, provided they are in the singles top 400 and don't make their NOC exceed their maximum quota.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I checked the Olympics’ website and found this:

ELIGIBILITY FOR THE OLYMPIC TENNIS EVENT, PARIS 2024

1) Save as provided in these rules, to be eligible to be nominated for and participate in the Olympic Tennis Event at the Paris 2024 Olympic Games a player must fulfil the following eligibility criteria:

i) The player must satisfy and comply with the provisions of the Olympic Charter in force from time to time, including but not limited to Rule 41 of the Olympic Charter (Nationality of Competitors) or any replacement or successor provision.

ii) The player must be in good standing with his/her National Association and the ITF in accordance with the ITF Davis Cup Regulations or the ITF Billie Jean King Cup Regulations in force at the time of the Paris 2024 Olympic Games.

iii) The player must be eligible to represent the country of the National Association and National Olympic Committee that nominates the player by satisfying the Eligibility to Represent a Nation rule contained in the ITF Davis Cup Regulations and the ITF Billie Jean King Cup Regulations in force at the time of the Paris 2024 Olympic Games.

iv) The player must have reached the age of fourteen (14) years for the men’s events and fifteen (15) years for the women’s events by the opening day of the Olympic Tennis Event.

v) The player must have fulfilled the minimum participation requirement in the ITF Davis Cup or ITF Billie Jean King Cup Competitions during the Olympic Cycle, by being:

• part of the final nominated Davis Cup or Billie Jean King Cup team, and present at the Tie/Event, on a minimum of two (2) occasions during the Olympic Cycle, provided that one of those occasions is in either 2023 or 2024.

For the avoidance of doubt, please note nomination for a Davis Cup Finals, Billie Jean King Cup Finals, or any Regional Group Event, shall count as one nomination, irrespective of how many Ties a player may play in during that Event.

2) Where the player has not met the minimum participation requirement set out at paragraph v) above, the relevant decision-maker (the “Panel”) as specified in the Regulations for the Olympic Tennis Event may exercise its discretion to rule that a player who satisfies all other eligibility criteria is considered eligible for nomination for and participation in the Olympic Tennis Event when taking into consideration special circumstances including, but not limited to, the following:

a) Injury/Illness: The injury or illness must be evidenced through authorised medical records, clearly identifying the period of absence from all competitive tennis.

b) Newcomer to Davis Cup or Billie Jean King Cup Competition: A player only reaches a ranking level sufficient for Davis Cup or Billie Jean King Cup selection by his/her National Association during the latter part of the Olympic Cycle.

c) Strength of Nation: A National Association has a large number of highly-ranked players resulting in competition for selection, which limits a player’s opportunities to participate in Davis Cup or Billie Jean King Cup Competition.

d) Commitment to and Achievement at the Olympic Tennis Event and/or Davis Cup or Billie Jean King Cup: A player’s historical participation and/or achievements in one or both competitions.

The ITF’s website states this:

General rules

Paris 2024 will host the five traditional events (men's singles and doubles, women's singles and doubles, and mixed doubles), providing 172 quotas. The total number of athletes depends on how many players compete in more than one event.

Each NOC can qualify up to 12 athletes, six per gender, represented by up to four players (the best ranked within their country) in each of the singles draws, two entries in each of the doubles draws, and only one entry in mixed doubles.

To be eligible, athletes must follow the ITF (International Tennis Federation) eligibility rules, including participation in the Davis Cup (men's) and the Billie Jean King Cup (women's), but exceptions may apply.

The ATP (men's) and WTA (women's) rankings of 10 June 2024 - right after the French Open - determine the majority of athletes who will qualify.

Singles qualification

The singles draws will include 64 players for each competition. The rankings determine 56 of those (Direct Acceptances), respecting the maximum quota of four per NOC. France has one secured spot per event as the host country, but won't use it if French athletes are already qualified. Six other quotas are ITF Places, and another is a universality place.

ITF Places are given to winners or finalists of continental competitions in the Americas (men's and women's singles finalists at the 2023 Pan-American Games), in Asia (men's and women's singles champions at the 2022 Asian Games) and Africa (men's and women's singles champions at the 2023 African Games).

The other two ITF Places are reserved for Olympic or Grand Slam singles champions who didn't qualify through other criteria, provided they are in the singles top 400 and don't make their NOC exceed their maximum quota.
Thanks Tented, I didnt have time to look up the rules.

Reactions: tented

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Just seeing this now. Sad news, but not a surprise. Hips are tricky, and while this is pure speculation, his doctor might be saying, "You either rest up now or face hip replacement within a year or two." Or something like that. Remember Andy's situation a few years ago, and look what he's become. I don't think Rafa would stand for that, and will only play again if he feels like he can compete at a Slam-contending level. But it would be truly sad if we don't get to see him one more time at Roland Garros - hope he can make it back next year for it.

As far as the records are concerned:

• 22 Grand Slams (tied with Novak for 1st)
  • 92 titles (5th with Novak at 93 and Lendl at 94)
  • 36 Masters (2nd, behind Novak with 38)
  • 59 big titles (2nd, behind Novak with 66)
  • 40 clay big titles (1st, Novak is 2nd with 13)
  • 2552 Peak Elo (4th)
  • 83.0 W% (2nd, behind Novak at 83.49%)
  • 93.1 W% on Clay (1st, Borg is 2nd with 85.71%)
  • 209 weeks at ATP #1 (6th)
  • 596 weeks in ATP Top 2 (1st, Novak is 2nd with 535)
  • 912 consecutive weeks in ATP top 10 (1st, Connors is 2nd with 788)
    816 weeks at Clay Elo #1 (1st,
    Lendl is 2nd with 367)
  • 522 consecutive weeks at Clay Elo #1 (1st, Rafa is also 2nd at 291)
  • 14 Clay Slams (1st, Borg is 2nd with 6)
    63 Clay titles (1st
    ,Vilas is 2nd with 49)
  • 81 match Clay winning streak (1st, Vilas 2nd with 53)

And a few fun miscellaneous ones:
  • One of only three players to win 100% of matches on a specific surface in a given year - he's done it twice, with Borg and Laver doing it once each
  • Has scored 3 bagels against the world #1 - twice vs. Novak, once vs. Roger; no one else has done it more than twice
  • 24 bagels at Roland Garros - most of any player at any tournament
  • With 14 titles at Roland Garros, 12 at Barcelona, and 11 at Monte-Carlo, he has more titles at three tournaments than any player has at any tournament; and he also has 10 at Rome; only Roger (2) and Novak (1) have 10 titles at any tournament
  • And possibly my personal favorite, that so well expresses his clay greatness: He's won 57.27% of all clay tournaments he's entered - best of all time on clay and on any surface; 2nd is Borg with 42.11% on clay. 57% - and 15% more than any player on any surface!!!! That's simply absurd.

I know he's not necessarily done, but worth basking in that greatness - especially his utter dominance on clay. He's going to end his career as one of the three greatest of the Open Era, and the greatest surface-specific player of all time, on any surface.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just seeing this now. Sad news, but not a surprise. Hips are tricky, and while this is pure speculation, his doctor might be saying, "You either rest up now or face hip replacement within a year or two." Or something like that. Remember Andy's situation a few years ago, and look what he's become. I don't think Rafa would stand for that, and will only play again if he feels like he can compete at a Slam-contending level. But it would be truly sad if we don't get to see him one more time at Roland Garros - hope he can make it back next year for it.

• 2552 Peak Elo (4th)
    Lendl is 2nd with 367)
    63 Clay titles (1st
    ,Vilas is 2nd with 49)

• One of only three players to win 100% of matches on a specific surface in a given year - he's done it twice, with Borg and Laver doing it once each
  • Has scored 3 bagels against the world #1 - twice vs. Novak, once vs. Roger; no one else has done it more than twice
  • With 14 titles at Roland Garros, 12 at Barcelona, and 11 at Monte-Carlo, he has more titles at three tournaments than any player has at any tournament; and he also has 10 at Rome; only Roger (2) and Novak (1) have 10 titles at any tournament
  • And possibly my personal favorite, that so well expresses his clay greatness: He's won 57.27% of all clay tournaments he's entered - best of all time on clay and on any surface; 2nd is Borg with 42.11% on clay. 57% - and 15% more than any player on any surface!!!! That's simply absurd.

I know he's not necessarily done, but worth basking in that greatness - especially his utter dominance on clay. He's going to end his career as one of the three greatest of the Open Era, and the greatest surface-specific player of all time, on any surface.
That was kind of you to put that together, especially as he's not your man.

A few I also like:

* His best of 5 record on clay is 137-3. (This includes Davis Cup, and clay masters, when the finals were Best of 5.)
* You mention the clay streak, which was 81. (Broken by Roger.) Roger holds the grass one at 65. (Broken by Rafa.) I think Roger has the HC one at 56.
* First men's player to hold the Major titles on all 3 surfaces at the same time.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

• 2552 Peak Elo (4th)
    Lendl is 2nd with 367)
    63 Clay titles (1st
    ,Vilas is 2nd with 49)

Good stuff brother. Thought I’d have a quibble about this one:
But it seemed rude to suggest you do the legwork looking it up so I did that myself - and it’s true! Bjorn won only 11 of the events we’d register as ‘big’ today. A measly 2 Italian Opens and a petty 3 Monte Carlos, plus his six FO’s. It’s a good example of how players priorities completely change over a period of time - but a better example how good your research is!

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Good stuff brother. Thought I’d have a quibble about this one:
But it seemed rude to suggest you do the legwork looking it up so I did that myself - and it’s true! Bjorn won only 11 of the events we’d register as ‘big’ today. A measly 2 Italian Opens and a petty 3 Monte Carlos, plus his six FO’s. It’s a good example of how players priorities completely change over a period of time - but a better example how good your research is!
Yeah, it is tricky comparin 70s tournaments with recent ones. Look at Jimmy Connors huge number of low level titles, or Vilas' clay tally - some of those weren't even really comparable to ATP 250s now, more glorified challengers.

But certainly the above stat isn't meant to indicate that Novak was better than Borg on clay - if anything, let's ignore Novak and Borg and just recognize that Rafa has more than three times as many clay big titles as anyone else.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
That was kind of you to put that together, especially as he's not your man.

A few I also like:

* His best of 5 record on clay is 137-3. (This includes Davis Cup, and clay masters, when the finals were Best of 5.)
* You mention the clay streak, which was 81. (Broken by Roger.) Roger holds the grass one at 65. (Broken by Rafa.) I think Roger has the HC one at 56.
* First men's player to hold the Major titles on all 3 surfaces at the same time.
I appreciate your appreciation! ;) But really, I'm a tennis fan above all else - I love tennis, and by extension Rafa (and all the greats). I don't see how one couldn't be awed by his accomplishments, respect the man for who he was (and to be honest, I probably like his perceivable personality more than Roger or Novak) and--if you're a statnerd like me--get a bit of a "stat boner" when looking at his accomplishments.

That best of 5 record is insane.