tented

Administrator
Reactions
It is called a 'farewell tour'
FDA0DE92-F383-4FD6-AE16-6C8DAD04463A.gif

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Apart from being not 'match tough' which was evident, I am still not convinced his abs are 100%, that 3rd set he wasnt pushing off on his serve.
If what Jimbo and the rest of us are hypothetinizing. Rafa and his team are very derelict in regards to this point in his career. Rafa needs to sit his butt down and keep working on his cardo ..he can begin training the 2nd week of December..

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa has already announced that he will not be defending his Acapulco title next year, this extensive exhibition tour of South America in December this year. It is called a 'farewell tour', probably a chance to give his South American fans, another chance to see him, a last chance.
Acapulco is in Mexico, central America..IW is the tournament he needs to skip to prepare for the clay not Acapulco.. Margaret this isn't a rebuttal just my thoughts about those two tournaments

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Does anyone know what Rafa has to do in the ATP Finals to clinch the year end no.1, now that Alcaraz withdrew? Does he have to literally win it? Thx

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I wrote about it in another thread. He can finish #1 in one of two ways:

1. He wins the WTF - whether undefeated or not, winning at least one RR (200), the Semifinal (400), and Final (500) = 1100 to 1500 points.
  2. He goes undefeated until the Final--three round robin victories (200 points each = 600) plus the Semifinal (400 points), but loses in the final (+1000 points total). They would both finish with 6820 ATP points, but Rafa wins the tiebreaker because he would have more points (5000) than Alcaraz (4000) via big titles.

I don't think there's any other path that gives him #1.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I wrote about it in another thread. He can finish #1 in one of two ways:

1. He wins the WTF - whether undefeated or not, winning at least one RR (200), the Semifinal (400), and Final (500) = 1100 to 1500 points.
  2. He goes undefeated until the Final--three round robin victories (200 points each = 600) plus the Semifinal (400 points), but loses in the final (+1000 points total). They would both finish with 6820 ATP points, but Rafa wins the tiebreaker because he would have more points (5000) than Alcaraz (4000) via big titles.

I don't think there's any other path that gives him #1.
Ah, he might win it with a tiebreaker? That would be ironic! I wouldn’t mind if they share it because I think Carlos might be one of those types whose future achievements will be chasing records, but anyway, it’s like that Carlos will get it anyway. Very unlikely that Rafa will get that far. More likely he won’t play, except for at home with his nipper…

Reactions: Nadalfan2013

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Ah, he might win it with a tiebreaker? That would be ironic! I wouldn’t mind if they share it because I think Carlos might be one of those types whose future achievements will be chasing records, but anyway, it’s like that Carlos will get it anyway. Very unlikely that Rafa will get that far. More likely he won’t play, except for at home with his nipper…
I know he says he doesn't care about #1, but the combination of the opportunity opening up and one more shot at a YEC must be tempting.

Maybe he'll give it a go and if he loses his first RR, drop out with an "injury."

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I know he says he doesn't care about #1, but the combination of the opportunity opening up and one more shot at a YEC must be tempting.

Maybe he'll give it a go and if he loses his first RR, drop out with an "injury."
And how will we know he’s injured? Because he told us!

But yeah, I’d say he’d obviously like to nab them - a YE#1 and a first WhatTheF*ck - but he’s got no form at all going in and Rafa doesn’t grow his way into tournaments. I remember Pete in 1999, injury robbed him of an appearance in New York for the Open, and he didn’t play again until the tour finals, lost 6-2, 6-2 against Agassi in the RR, but hammered him in the final. Different types of men, different types of games, but Rafa isn’t serving well, or doing anything well, and his game takes longer to click into gear than Pete’s. Once Pete starts painting the T with aces, his tongue rolls out, followed by the big forehand, it all revved up mightily, and his opponents neck starts bulging with a lack of oxygen…

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

But yeah, I’d say he’d obviously like to nab them - a YE#1 and a first WhatTheF*ck - but he’s got no form at all going in and Rafa doesn’t grow his way into tournaments. I remember Pete in 1999, injury robbed him of an appearance in New York for the Open, and he didn’t play again until the tour finals, lost 6-2, 6-2 against Agassi in the RR, but hammered him in the final. Different types of men, different types of games, but Rafa isn’t serving well, or doing anything well, and his game takes longer to click into gear than Pete’s. Once Pete starts painting the T with aces, his tongue rolls out, followed by the big forehand, it all revved up mightily, and his opponents neck starts bulging with a lack of oxygen…
Pete’s tongue hanging out was the iconic image of 90’s men tennis… LOL

• Haha
Reactions: tented and Kieran

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
You do realize those of us in the US west coast the one chance to see Nadal is at IW, so shut your mouth
Be Nice...would you rather " us see Nadal" struggling with injuries or give a healthy Nadal a legitimate chance to win AO , RG, SW19 ( abdominal strain muscle injury which still haven't healed) and he was the 2018 & 2019 AO champion when he was completely healthy? Nadal has to manage his schedule just as he does his play on the court , low percentage for UFEs. A healthy Nadal could have won SW19 or USO. I will stick with that just as a know for a certainty he would have captured the SW19 semi if those clowns didn't close the roof on a completely sunny no rain in sight day.

As for seeing Rafa, get your butt ( on a plane to come to East to catch the 2nd half of the North American HC swing).

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Pete was so great, he could be down 0-40 on his service and could paint the lines with 5 in a row 125-127 mph first serves plus 117 mph plus second serves.

To throw shade at Darth Fed, "Pete Sampras had no business loosing to Roger at Wimbledon".

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Pete was so great, he could be down 0-40 on his service and could paint the lines with 5 in a row 125-127 mph first serves plus 117 mph plus second serves.

To throw shade at Darth Fed, "Pete Sampras had no business loosing to Roger at Wimbledon".
Brother Darth would understand the nuances of that now, brother. My favourite 0-40 Pete bounce-back was the 1999 Wimbledon final, maybe the single greatest performance I’ve ever seen, it’s 3-all in the first, 0-40, and about 5 seconds later it’s “game Pete!”, swiftly followed by a 6-3, 2-0 lead in the second - in other words, game, set and match! It was a rude reversal of fortune for Agassi, but that was Pete!

:clap: :clap:

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Be Nice...would you rather " us see Nadal" struggling with injuries or give a healthy Nadal a legitimate chance to win AO , RG, SW19 ( abdominal strain muscle injury which still haven't healed) and he was the 2018 & 2019 AO champion when he was completely healthy? Nadal has to manage his schedule just as he does his play on the court , low percentage for UFEs. A healthy Nadal could have won SW19 or USO. I will stick with that just as a know for a certainty he would have captured the SW19 semi if those clowns didn't close the roof on a completely sunny no rain in sight day.

As for seeing Rafa, get your butt ( on a plane to come to East to catch the 2nd half of the North American HC swing).
Ha!!
im doing better than that, Im in Rome so what the hell, booked a train ride to Torino for the ATP YE , hopefully Rafa will play in one of the sessions I got for the RR’s!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Ha!!
im doing better than that, Im in Rome so what the hell, booked a train ride to Torino for the ATP YE , hopefully Rafa will play in one of the sessions I got for the RR’s!
Enjoy yourself in Rome, it’s my favourite city! I go once or twice a year, just to be there…

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Okay I have worked out this scenario and maths,
If Rafa wins ATP Finals or finishes as a runner up with a 4-1 record and Tsitsipas does not go 5-0 at the ATP finals, Rafa will end the year as the No 1 player.....Simples :)
Evidently you didn't see my post just a few before this one. ;)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I was last there in 2008 fantastic city
Rome has gone too touristy for my liking.....I am speaking as an Italian, if you ever get the chance visit Florence I lived there for a few years, great for art, gold, shopping and the food, also Tuscany is just 1 hours drive into the countryside.Also hire a car and go around the Great Lakes, you might wave to George Clooney's villa :) I am sounding like a Italian Tourist Guide lol! also Naples for their Pizza,:)

Last edited: