Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

tented

Administrator
Reactions
To be honest at his age, he should be quite careful about where he plays and playing exhibitions. He looked downright uncomfortable at times this year dealing with injuries on court. Nearing the end of your career do you really want to reinjure yourself or injure yourself playing exhibitions possibly costing you slam hardware.
56DF6619-C451-457A-B990-EB17AF8B8852.gif

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
To be honest at his age, he should be quite careful about where he plays and playing exhibitions. He looked downright uncomfortable at times this year dealing with injuries on court. Nearing the end of your career do you really want to reinjure yourself or injure yourself playing exhibitions possibly costing you slam hardware.
I'm with you on this one. I don't see it so much as "living in fear of injury" as being smart about an injury-prone, 36-year-old body. I have to think he's feeling 100%, if he's playing Paris and YEC, but why the exhibitions, too?

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I'll play Devil's Advocate. Due to the pure physicality of Rafa's play, the moment he loses confidence in his body is the moment he's done. So maybe he's thinking, "I can either do this or I can't, and until proven otherwise, I can do this."

Couple that with the fact that he hasn't played much recently, and will be off for a couple months, so maybe he's going all in on the WTF.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'll play Devil's Advocate. Due to the pure physicality of Rafa's play, the moment he loses confidence in his body is the moment he's done. So maybe he's thinking, "I can either do this or I can't, and until proven otherwise, I can do this."

Couple that with the fact that he hasn't played much recently, and will be off for a couple months, so maybe he's going all in on the WTF.
Actually, he lost confidence in his body for awhile, he said, after an injury in about 2015-16. He recovered, but he said then it was about lack of confidence, until he came back to more consistent results, which bred more confidence in the body, and spiraled upward that way for him again. But we know he likes to play, when fit. But if he plays those exhibitions in Dec., he won't be off for a couple of months, just a matter of weeks. Still, that's just a few matches. But you know how we Rafa fans are...nervous nellies about his body. Plus, just about everyone has said it, Rafa fans included: it's hard to see him coming back again if he gets another serious one, so there's that concern.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm with you on this one. I don't see it so much as "living in fear of injury" as being smart about an injury-prone, 36-year-old body. I have to think he's feeling 100%, if he's playing Paris and YEC, but why the exhibitions, too?

Those exhibitions he’s not playing all out, is he? I’m thinking it’s an excuse to get out of diaper duty for a fortnight.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

It just proves that Nadal isn't obsessed with winning and with glory, and that he simply loves Tennis and the whole process of practicing, improving, competing, having fun..

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It just proves that Nadal isn't obsessed with winning and with glory, and that he simply loves Tennis and the whole process of practicing, improving, competing, having fun..
I think it's little of both, seems regardless of playing too much or too little, Rafa has gotten injured under every possible type of circumstances. Hell, even NOT playing because of COVID his foot got worse.

Look at this year, early on everyone was obsessed with his recovery from his chronic foot issue; and yet his two major setbacks was the ribs and the abdomen.

Who could predict that ?

Rafa probably figured his injuries will flare up when they do, sometimes despite his best attempts at rest and preventive conditioning.

If he feels fit and healthy he will play, beyond that Rafa knows he’s beaten the odds as far as his longevity. So playing the 2 tourneys & the exhibs to finish the year doesnt seem that excessive IMO..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa Nadal talking to the press in Paris,

" It has always been difficult to leave home to be honest. Now it's different again. After three weeks knowing my son, it's a difficult experience in life to have to miss him, you have to adapt. But we are lucky to make video calls any time we want".

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Rafa Nadal talking to the press in Paris,

" It has always been difficult to leave home to be honest. Now it's different again. After three weeks knowing my son, it's a difficult experience in life to have to miss him, you have to adapt. But we are lucky to make video calls any time we want".
I’d never considered it, but FaceTime, Zoom, and Skype have helped parents when they aren’t home.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I’d never considered it, but FaceTime, Zoom, and Skype have helped parents when they aren’t home.
Especially in todays modern world, years ago it would have just been a phone call for parents when they werent at home

Reactions: tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa after his loss in Paris today, he plans to arrive in Turin early.

" I need to play sets against the best players, to feel myself again, competitive against everyone.
I'm gonna to make that happen. And if not, I will prepare to have the best season next year".

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa after his loss in Paris today, he plans to arrive in Turin early.

" I need to play sets against the best players, to feel myself again, competitive against everyone.
I'm gonna to make that happen. And if not, I will prepare to have the best season next year".
Well,he just wasn’t tournament match tough and Paul outplayed him. Period

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I think if he’s got The Calm and The Hunger, and he’s fit, then he should go to Turin. But with Rafa, the problem then might be form. He’s strange, but I don’t remember ever seeing Rafa play himself into form in an event, just catch fire and become unstoppable. He generally has firm going in if he’s going to win it, doesn’t he? And it seems late in the day, from that perspective, for him to win Turin…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa has already announced that he will not be defending his Acapulco title next year, this extensive exhibition tour of South America in December this year. It is called a 'farewell tour', probably a chance to give his South American fans, another chance to see him, a last chance.