It's Dec 1, 2018...What happened?

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
December 1, 2018, Nadal and Federer are tied at 19 slams each.

Nadal's looking questionable right now with his Brisbane withdrawal - he might not play the AO... but if he does he's not going into it full kilter. I can't see him winning it.... which would leave the FO, Wimbledon and USO. 2 out of 3? I don't think so. Nadal fans should be happy with one major.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm thinking the odds of Rafa even playing the AO might be 50/50.
BB. I dont think he is injured.. I think he is just pacing himself.. if his knees were in that bad of condition, wouldn’t Rafa opted for surgery in the off season..

Any thoughts on this BB

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If that happens I might have to shoot myself in the head. I can only imagine how obnoxious Twatdal and his fans would become
Many Fed fans will vanish from the boards. I am afraid the likelihood of that happening is high, considering that Roger appears no longer able to play 3 tournaments in a row.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The thing about Djokovic compared to Federer is - there are far fewer parts to his game and therefore fewer things that can go wrong in his return. If he's healthy, fit and mentally ready - he''ll be money by the time the AO rolls around. He's supposed to play 2 warm up events beforehand - an XO and Doha. So he should have worked out some of the kinks by the AO. I doubt either Federer or Nadal will want him in their half - especially in the early rounds. Djokovic's first tourney is Doha and even after 6 months off he should be able to defend that title (other players in the draw - Thiem, Berdych, Tsonga, Gasquet, Carreno Busta, Verdasco) and build confidence and momentum heading into Melbourne. If he defends he goes into the AO ranked #11 or 12. If he doesn't make the final he could be ranked anywhere from 16-20. I'd put money on him hitting the ground running and not wanting to be seeded any lower than 12. and hope for a decent draw.

Re: Young guns making a breakthrough? I think Federer said it best after he won Wimbledon - the changing of the guard is still at least "a few years away." The young guys will move up the rankings...but I don't think any of them will win a Slam in 2018 unless they get lucky like Dimitrov and the draw is decimated by injuries and early losses by the big 4-5.

I don't think any of the big 4 will play a full schedule and go through the year unhampered by injury.

Murray is a confidence player, he's like a coil that needs to incrementally get better - he's not a player I see coming out of nowhere (I mean poor form and injury) and surprising anybody. When he's been at his best in majors, it's on the back of good results and good form. There are question marks over his fitness already. I don't think you'll see anything approaching his best form until Wimbledon... if you're lucky.

Nadal by all accounts is still not fit...

Djokovic has huge question marks - nobody has seen him at his best for over a year and a half.

Federer is an old man, will either skip the clay season altogether or play a very limited clay swing... and there will be question marks over what he can realistically schedule into the year...

Put it this way... you'll likely never see these four players at their best, at the same time (for an extended period)... ever again. The status quo has sailed.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrzz

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
BB. I dont think he is injured.. I think he is just pacing himself.. if his knees were in that bad of condition, wouldn’t Rafa opted for surgery in the off season..

Any thoughts on this BB

Maybe if he was five years younger he may have opted for surgery... I don't know... I have no insight into his condition to be honest, so just guessing. He probably is managing his body as best he can without risking another significant absence, so yeah, you're possibly right... but you know Rafa - if he's feeling good then he plays a lot. I'm reading into the Brisbane withdrawal as him not feeling good.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal's looking questionable right now with his Brisbane withdrawal - he might not play the AO... but if he does he's not going into it full kilter. I can't see him winning it.... which would leave the FO, Wimbledon and USO. 2 out of 3? I don't think so. Nadal fans should be happy with one major.
I suspect Rafa is trying to lull his opponents into a false sense of security. He will play the AO and will be fully fit. Rafa has shown resilience over the years, and I think he can win at lest 2 slams. The fitness of Murray and Djokovoc is questionable, while Federer can no longer play 3 tournaments in close proximity.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wrong. We know 100% Novak used the C-Vac machine which the ATP considered banning as it's against the spirit of sport. They didn't ban it so he kept using it. While not cheating because of this, it's still fake cardio and Roger has not used this and gets tired much easier. Novak went from having massive cardio problems in late 2010 and multiple retirements to being Superman in 2011 but feel free to think it had nothing to do with this.

I don't like the machine, but if it's legal then I'm fine with Novak using it... All athletes will do whatever is in their budget to get the biggest edge... Altitude Training, Supplements, CVAC machines, intravenous drips to re-hydrate.... goes with the territory...

Last edited:

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't think any of the big 4 will play a full schedule and go through the year unhampered by injury.

Murray is a confidence player, he's like a coil that needs to incrementally get better - he's not a player I see coming out of nowhere (I mean poor form and injury) and surprising anybody. When he's been at his best in majors, it's on the back of good results and good form. There are question marks over his fitness already. I don't think you'll see anything approaching his best form until Wimbledon... if you're lucky.

Nadal by all accounts is still not fit...

Djokovic has huge question marks - nobody has seen him at his best for over a year and a half.

Federer is an old man, will either skip the clay season altogether or play a very limited clay swing... and there will be question marks over what he can realistically schedule into the year...

Put it this way... you'll likely never see these four players at their best, at the same time (for an extended period)... ever again. The status quo has sailed.
Exactly. That will mean the least injury-prone top player will take advantage of the absence of the other top players. They are all opportunists.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Exactly. That will mean the least injury-prone top player will take advantage of the absence of the other top players. They are all opportunists.

Yeah, but I don't think Rafa is the least injury prone top-player (generally speaking) - I think at least two slams is a bit of a stretch.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Many Fed fans will vanish from the boards. I am afraid the likelihood of that happening is high, considering that Roger appears no longer able to play 3 tournaments in a row.

To peak for a slam he won't be playing 3 tournaments in a row though. He has Hopman Cup before AO and that's basically semi-serious exhibitions so not the same as a real tournament. I doubt he plays RG and if he does it's safe to assume he plays just one of the warmups, most likely Rome. If he does play RG then he definitely won't play Stuttgart and will just use Halle as the warmup to Wimbledon. And unless he is the dumbest mofo in the world he is not going to try to play both USO warmups like he intended to do last year. ONLY Cincy this year if he has any sense.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I suspect Rafa is trying to lull his opponents into a false sense of security. He will play the AO and will be fully fit. Rafa has shown resilience over the years, and I think he can win at lest 2 slams. The fitness of Murray and Djokovoc is questionable, while Federer can no longer play 3 tournaments in close proximity.
Not sure that’s Rafa’s style to be honest. Besides he’s a rhythm player so on it’s face it doesn’t seem like good news. If I were a fan I would be concerned about the first week in Melbourne, if he gets thru that he has chances

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Not sure that’s Rafa’s style to be honest. Besides he’s a rhythm player so on it’s face it doesn’t seem like good news. If I were a fan I would be concerned about the first week in Melbourne, if he gets thru that he has chances
With Rafa there’s always drama and concerns..

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The realistic scenario is this:

It's December 1, 2018. Once again Roger and Rafa find the difference in slam count between them remain the same, despite each one adding to their count (just like in Dec 1 2017).

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions

Any thoughts on this BB

As I said weeks ago - Nadal would be stupid to play before the AO. Even if his knees are feeling better I doubt he's completely healed from whatever the issue was. It's barely been 6 weeks since he pulled out of the tour final. He was probably told to rest for at least 2-3 of those weeks - which means he's probably only been working out and practicing for the last 2-3 weeks. He's scheduled to participate in a charity even on Jan 8. Let's see if he participates in that. If he does then he's probably just saving himself for the AO.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions

You mistake willingness with ability. Roger could play 3 weeks in a row if he wanted to. He chooses not to. Murray also just said in Brisbane that he'll be changing his schedule and playing less to preserve his body as well. So if Murray's back to 100% and chooses not to play as much does that mean he's no longer physically capable of playing 3 tournaments in a row? No. It just means he's looking at the big picture of his overall health and career longevity. I would't be surprised if Nadal and Djokovic also adopt this approach. It's not like any of them have anything left to prove.

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
1. Slam champions
AO -Federer/Dimitrov
French - Nadal/Thiem
Wimbledon - Federer/Berdych
USO - Del Potro/Zverev/Federer
2. Year-end top 10
1.Federer 2.Dimitrov 3.Nadal 4.Zverev 5.Cilic 6.Berdych 7.Thiem 8.Goffin 9.Kyrgios 10.
3. WTF/Masters winners
Indian Wells- Federer
Miami- Goffin
Monte Carlo- Nadal
Madrid- Zverev
Rome- Thiem
Toronto- Berdych
Cincinnati- Federer
Shanghai- Federer
Paris- Kyrgios
WTF - Federer
4. Breakthroughs
Dimitrov,Thiem
5. Declines
Djokovic,Murray,Tsonga
6. Any and all speculations on specific players
No

7. True "fearless predictions" - things you realize are improbable but just have a feeling about
Federer to win French Open with all those injuries helping him :p

8. Anything else you want to say about 2018
Last year of the stranghold at the top of the sport and back to 90s madness

Last edited:
Reactions: mrzz