It's Dec 1, 2018...What happened?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree with both mrzz and herios that there are skills gap in Kyrgios's game. However, I still think that the skills gap is not going to affect him at Wimbledon. He has exactly the set of skills needed to win at Wimbledon. He has good powerful serve. He has firepower in ground strokes.
He likes to finish points quickly.

As far as the mental department is concerned, he surely has proved that he has enough grey matter and resilience, as he is one of the few players who defeated Fedalovic in first attempt (he did with Fedal, not so sure with Novak, need to check). As antipusher says, it remains to be seen whether he can hold it together for two weeks. But, he seems to be maturing and might pull it off.

That is why, I picked Nick for Wimby.

Interestingly, I think Nick has a losing record against Andy. But most probably Andy will be a non-factor this year.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You mistake willingness with ability. Roger could play 3 weeks in a row if he wanted to. He chooses not to. Murray also just said in Brisbane that he'll be changing his schedule and playing less to preserve his body as well. So if Murray's back to 100% and chooses not to play as much does that mean he's no longer physically capable of playing 3 tournaments in a row? No. It just means he's looking at the big picture of his overall health and career longevity. I would't be surprised if Nadal and Djokovic also adopt this approach. It's not like any of them have anything left to prove.
I think Roger's stamina is diminishing. He seemed to struggle between Canada and the US Open, and that has been attributed to his lack of preparation, but was also caused in part by his age. He played well in Shanghai and Basel, but looked worn out at the ATP Tour. Yes, he has the ability, but his age is catching up with him, even with a less strenuous schedule.

Last edited:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ It definitely is diminishing. There are a few Nadal tards out there claiming his stamina improved in 2017 but they fail to see he plays very short points and matches in general. The whole philosophy behind his super aggressive game these days is energy conservation. If he had improved fitness he'd be playing more tournaments and wouldn't be playing such short points. But let their blind eyes continue to see what isn't there. The 3rd and 4th sets against Wawrinka at the AO 2017 showed it plain as day. He got fatigued there and as a result, his game fell apart. Got back a bit of energy in set 5 having pretty much tanked set 3 after going down early. A guy with supposed mega stamina wouldn't do that.

Reactions: Federberg

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
^ It definitely is diminishing. There are a few Nadal tards out there claiming his stamina improved in 2017 but they fail to see he plays very short points and matches in general. The whole philosophy behind his super aggressive game these days is energy conservation. If he had improved fitness he'd be playing more tournaments and wouldn't be playing such short points. But let their blind eyes continue to see what isn't there. The 3rd and 4th sets against Wawrinka at the AO 2017 showed it plain as day. He got fatigued there and as a result, his game fell apart. Got back a bit of energy in set 5 having pretty much tanked set 3 after going down early. A guy with supposed mega stamina wouldn't do that.
Do we know what Roger took for his MTO..whatever it was he was able to subdue Stan and Rafa..I am quite sure he will have IT in his locker during the championship

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Do we know what Roger took for his MTO..whatever it was he was able to subdue Stan and Rafa..I am quite sure he will have IT in his locker during the championship

Pretty hilarious hearing this from a fan of the guy with the most dubious MTO history on the ATP tour. Yes, smartass, he hadn't played since Wimbledon 2016 and had a groin strain..not exactly too hard to believe when you go from no play to lots of play. The MTOs didn't decide those matches at all as both should have been over in 3 sets.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Pretty hilarious hearing this from a fan of the guy with the most dubious MTO history on the ATP tour. Yes, smartass, he hadn't played since Wimbledon 2016 and had a groin strain..not exactly too hard to believe when you go from no play to lots of play. The MTOs didn't decide those matches at all as both should have been over in 3 sets.
why isnt Federerberg calling this the t word..

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
If it would’ve been said about any other player besides Roger it wouldn’t be so heinous in your conscious.

not really mate. Even you know you're trolling. You seem to have changed recently. Not sure why, but you were a good deal more rational in the past.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
why isnt Federerberg calling this the t word..

It's not the same mate. At least he's making some sense. You're just making stuff up, at least there's a factual basis to what he's saying, can't you see the difference? I don't have to agree with his conclusions, but at least there's a basis to it

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
not really mate. Even you know you're trolling. You seem to have changed recently. Not sure why, but you were a good deal more rational in the past.
Really.. I don’t agree.. Something happen twice in those matches.. I am just saying it was very particular.. thats not trolling but a fact... even if I wasnt a Rafa fan I would say something was amiss.. Roger was dead in both matches and certainly got revitalize with a quickness.. You cant deny that.. Federerberg, I am gonna always tell and speak the truth.. I never been a poster that post to be liked and admired.. I post from what I see.. you have to respect that.. if not I don’t know what to tell ya

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Really.. I don’t agree.. Something happen twice in those matches.. I am just saying it was very particular.. thats not trolling but a fact... even if I wasnt a Rafa fan I would say something was amiss.. Roger was dead in both matches and certainly got revitalize with a quickness.. You cant deny that.. Federerberg, I am gonna always tell and speak the truth.. I never been a poster that post to be liked and admired.. I post from what I see.. you have to respect that.. if not I don’t know what to tell ya

Can't remember the details, was it an MTO or just going off court at the end of a set? Didn't both Rafa and Stan to the same?

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I just re-watched highlights of Roger demolishing Berdych at the AO last year. I forgot just how high a level he was reaching.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just re-watched highlights of Roger demolishing Berdych at the AO last year. I forgot just how high a level he was reaching.
I'm sure that Roger was quite fine, but Tomas had been sinking for some time before, as he has since, don't you think? And let's face it, except for a small spate and a few key matches, Roger has owned Berdy.

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Of the two players being analysed, Roger certainly isn't more guilty of misusing MTOs.

Let me not try to recall all those matches of the Spanish legend where his usage of MTOs wasn't that classy apparently.

Not a healthy discussion anyway, as we could go on doing this for decades; we have new turks and limping elites to worry about.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Of the two players being analysed, Roger certainly isn't more guilty of misusing MTOs.

Let me not try to recall all those matches of the Spanish legend where his usage of MTOs wasn't that classy apparently.

Not a healthy discussion anyway, as we could go on doing this for decades; we have new turks and limping elites to worry about.
Yes, but you've made your opinion clear, so don't be coy and push it aside because it reflects poorly here on Roger. It is a fact that Roger took a MTO when he lost the 4th to Stan, (you can search for it in this Guardian article,) and when he lost the 4th to Rafa (same, search "medical.") Stan took a MTO in his SF with Roger, but Rafa took none. It is somehow a truism with some people that Rafa is the gamesman that has taken so many, even though he's clearly the more often injured, and even though he's taken them when it stopped his own momentum. But it is always conveniently forgotten that Roger took a MTO when he lost the 4th set to Marat Safin in the AO SF, just as an example from before Roger was old and infirm. Shivashish, you're a fair poster. Don't just buy into other people's narratives.

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Yes, but you've made your opinion clear, so don't be coy and push it aside because it reflects poorly here on Roger. It is a fact that Roger took a MTO when he lost the 4th to Stan, (you can search for it in this Guardian article,) and when he lost the 4th to Rafa (same, search "medical.") Stan took a MTO in his SF with Roger, but Rafa took none. It is somehow a truism with some people that Rafa is the gamesman that has taken so many, even though he's clearly the more often injured, and even though he's taken them when it stopped his own momentum. But it is always conveniently forgotten that Roger took a MTO when he lost the 4th set to Marat Safin in the AO SF, just as an example from before Roger was old and infirm. Shivashish, you're a fair poster. Don't just buy into other people's narratives.

I have only said "Roger certainly isn't more guilty" to draw Rafans' attention to Rafa's MTOs in the past. And perhaps, as per your understanding, having to break someone's rhythm even in the case of a valid discomfort/injury is guilty, I had to keep that much in mind.

Firstly, let me make it very clear that even now I don't endorse at all that anything reflects poorly on Roger here or even that he took an unjust MTO. An MTO is a provision for a player in physical discomfort. First slam after 6 months, and his groin must have been hurting (something was clearly troubling him). So why not avail it in that situation? The guy has had a fair play image for a decade supported all along by his peers. And he hasn't gone around taking MTOs while getting outplayed by his opponents (that is, to his advantage). He rarely withdrew from a match, even finished matches limping. All these make the allegation look weak IMO.

Secondly, I don't have to buy people's narratives here. Thankfully, I have had the privilege to watch this great game since 2006. I can recall some days with Rafa taking MTOs with his opponent up a break and clearly outdoing him in the earlier part of this decade. My thoughts are totally mine.

Lastly, yes, I try to be fair and objective relying especially on facts and first-hand observation. Thanks, cheers.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have only said "Roger certainly isn't more guilty" to draw Rafans' attention to Rafa's MTOs in the past. And perhaps, as per your understanding, having to break someone's rhythm even in the case of a valid discomfort/injury is guilty, I had to keep that much in mind.

Firstly, let me make it very clear that even now I don't endorse at all that anything reflects poorly on Roger here or even that he took an unjust MTO. An MTO is a provision for a player in physical discomfort. First slam after 6 months, and his groin must have been hurting (something was clearly troubling him). So why not avail it in that situation? The guy has had a fair play image for a decade supported all along by his peers. And he hasn't gone around taking MTOs while getting outplayed by his opponents (that is, to his advantage). He rarely withdrew from a match, even finished matches limping. All these make the allegation look weak IMO.

Secondly, I don't have to buy people's narratives here. Thankfully, I have had the privilege to watch this great game since 2006. I can recall some days with Rafa taking MTOs with his opponent up a break and clearly outdoing him in the earlier part of this decade. My thoughts are totally mine.

Lastly, yes, I try to be fair and objective relying especially on facts and first-hand observation. Thanks, cheers.
As long as you're of the opinion that they all take them as needed, and no one is more guilty than anyone else, I'm cool. If you think there's gamesmanship involved, then you should imagine it can happen, across the board. It's the St. Roger thing I can't buy. If you question even some of Rafa's MTO's, then you have to question the few of Roger's that I mentioned. Remember that he won 2 of 3 of those matches. It's a question of being fair, across the board.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions

And your contention is that there was malign intent? Colour me sceptical, I don't think that everytime a player has an MTO or goes to the loo is for nefarious reasons, I certainly don't think Rafa does it all the time. You might try your hardest to find equivalence, but Rafa's history is riddled with gamesmanship. Personally I don't think Roger is a saint, I'm sure he's done stuff, in fact DF and I called him out on it during a match against Murray in China some years back. There is no sainthood narrative